REALIZATION

Misunderstood

 

Two weeks passed and Yuri and Tiffany did not talk to each other. Things were back to normal or so Tiffany thought. She actually ended up silently observing Yuri. Throughout their whole time together she never really paid attention to the younger girl. With them apart, she finally began to see Yuri for the first time. She began to understand why everyone was so infatuated about the girl. She had this presence that was regal. Anything she did physically was executed with grace. The way she talked demanded your attention. For lack of a better word, Yuri was stunning.

 

Sitting in her room, Tiffany thought about this new side of Yuri and wondered why she never saw it before. For the first time, she felt bad about how she treated someone. She claimed to be Yuri’s friend but was she really being a friend to her? Tiffany shook her head. Her mind recalled her observing Yuri. There was one thing that was missing that no one else saw. Yuri never smiled anymore. It wasn’t the smile that she showed everyone else but rather it was the smile that lit up the room every time she was in it. She wanted to see that playful Yuri again. She wanted to have Yuri by her side talking about the most random things. She wanted to talk about how cute Joxer was and how Gabrielle was a fool for not noticing him.

 

Then it dawned on Tiffany as she sat up and whispered, “I miss her….” Heaviness fell upon her and her chest began to constrict. Droplets hit her hands and she looked up at the ceiling to see if it was leaking. Confused when she saw nothing, she raised her hands to her face and realized that the droplets came from her own eyes. “What has she done to me?” Tears freely fell as she finally realized that it wasn’t her that cared for Yuri, but rather it was Yuri that cared for her. She lay down again on the bed and cried until she fell asleep. 

 

The next day was a Saturday and Tiffany woke up early. Her mind had been bothering her about the whole situation with Yuri. She needed to correct this problem. She got ready and headed for Yuri’s apartment. When she arrived she was greeted by Yuri’s mother again.

 

“I’m so glad that you stopped by Tiffany. Yuri’s been a mess for the last few weeks and she would never tell me why. I don’t know what’s going on but I hope you can cheer my little baby up,” Yuri’s mom said with concern.

 

Tiffany nodded her head and said, “Yes, I’m sorry that you have been stressed out so much over your daughter. I am at least in part to blame for that. We had a bit of a...misunderstanding.”

 

“I see,” said the older woman. “Well, please work things out. She’s in her room cleaning it up. Her head’s been stuck in those blasted headphones so just walk in. I doubt if she’ll hear you.”

 

The younger girl bowed and headed for Yuri’s room. When she opened the door, Yuri was arranging things in her closet. Yuri had the headphones on and didn’t notice Tiffany at all. Tiffany silently walked inside and closed the door gently. Slowly, she walked up to Yuri and back hugged the girl.

 

Yuri instantly froze from the contact. Her eyes widened before looking down to see familiar arms wrapped around her waist. She pulled her headphones off and whispered, “Tiffany?”