GAMBIT

Misunderstood

 

Monday came and Tiffany walked to her class as usual. In the middle of the hallway a guy was running fast and ran right into her, knocking her down and scattering her books all over the place. He mumbled something but continued to run away until he couldn’t be seen. Tiffany glared at the offender and began to pick up her stuff. A girl walked up and asked Tiffany if she was alright. When she dismissed the classmate she watched the girl leave and squeal to her friends. Mouth ajar, Tiffany could only look at the girl with disgust.

 

“So she only wanted to help me cause she was trying to get seen with me by her friends? How pathetic,” she scoffed to herself and stood up. Brushing her clothes, she headed to class.

 

When class was over she decided to eat in the cafeteria. Yuri wasn’t there so she didn’t want to go to their usual spot. As she got her food tray and walked to an empty seat, she heard a scream and suddenly felt something wet dripping down her back. Her face contorted as she turned around.

 

“I am so sorry! I tripped over my shoelace. My chocolate milk…it…,” said a random girl.

 

Tiffany looked down at the girl and saw the untied shoe. She sighed and said, “It’s okay…it was an accident.” She turned around and sat at an empty table. There was nothing she could do since her gym clothes were smelly from earlier and she didn’t have an extra shirt to change into. She thought to herself, “I gotta keep a spare set of clothes from now on. First I get knocked over and now this, what terrible luck today.”

 

The next day Tiffany arrived to her Sociology class without incident. Class was going on when she suddenly yelped out in pain. She stood up immediately and grabbed her thigh. The whole class turned around and stared at her.

 

“What’s going on Ms. Hwang,” asked the teacher after turning around from the chalk board to see what was wrong.

 

“Ah…something…stuck me,” she replied as she bent down to see one of the nails in her desk slightly bent.

 

The teacher sighed and said, “Well please be careful next time. I do not want to be interrupted again.”

 

“I’m sorry…” Tiffany replied and the teacher turned back around to continue the lesson. She frowned. There was never a problem with the desk before this. She thought to herself, “Why of all times did I have to hit that nail? I never even noticed it out of place before.” She shook her head and tried to focus on her lesson.

 

That Wednesday was even worse. She opened her gym locker and saw that her gym clothes were missing. “What the? I know I put my clothes in here yesterday. This can’t be happening. The archery test is today. Damn it, I’m gonna get penalized if I don’t participate,” she thought to herself. She frantically went to the gym office to search for her gym teacher.

 

“I don’t want to hear any excuses Hwang. You knew about this test. If you don’t participate you will get it deducted from your grade,” said the gym teacher

 

“Is there anything I can do,” asked Tiffany.

 

“You’ll have to buy a new uniform and change before the 10 minutes run out or I will dock you points for being tardy. It’s better than failing,” the teacher answered.

 

“Okay,” Tiffany said as she ran to buy more clothes.

 

At the end of the day, Tiffany walked the hallway to return to her locker. Paying for the gym clothes ate up her lunch money so she had to go hungry the whole day. She sighed as she reached her locker. When she opened it, shreds of clothing fell to the ground. It was her missing gym clothes. Inside her locker was another one of those notes.

 

“It was time to take out the trash. Stop dirtying up our hallways!”

 

Tiffany slammed her locker hard. “I can’t believe this crap! What the hell did I do to deserve this,” she asked herself in frustration. She grabbed her stuff and headed home.

 

Thursday came and everything was fine until Tiffany got to math class. She kept feeling something hit the back of her head. Her head would turn to try to catch the culprit but she couldn’t see who did it. For 30 minutes it continued to happen until she couldn’t take it no more.

 

“WHAT THE HELL IS YOUR PROBLEM?”

 

Her teacher turned around immediately and sternly said, “Outside now Hwang!”

 

“But…,” Tiffany tried to defend herself.

 

“Now,” exclaimed her teacher.

 

Tiffany frowned, got up and made her way to the hallway. She could hear snickering in the back but when she looked over it would stop. Her eyes narrowed as she realized that they all were against her. She closed the door behind her and waited for class to end.

 

Friday came and after the last class Tiffany had to serve detention for the outburst she had. The teacher didn’t even listen to her, so much for the justice system. When she was freed, she went immediately to her locker. The only thing she wanted to do was go home and end this hell week. She opened her locker to see another note.

 

“STAY AWAY FROM HER…”

 

“So this is what all of this was about. Cowards…all of you. If you had the guts you’d say it to my face. How the hell can Yuri put up with these people,” she thought to herself.

 

“Goodnight Tiffany”

 

Tiffany turned around and looked at the girl. She couldn’t trust anyone. They were all out to get her. She stared at the girl and didn’t move.

 

“Uh…Tiffany?”

 

Shaking her head, Tiffany turned back to her locker and closed it. She had no patience to deal with these people. Swinging her backpack around her shoulder, she left the girl behind. The girl could only look at her with a frown on her face.

 

“Tiffany…”