MEETING

Misunderstood

 

Instead of taking one of the more physical sciences, Tiffany ended up taking Sociology instead. She felt like it would be an easier course. It seems like many people felt the same way, including the infamous Yuri Kwon. Tiffany walked into the class on the first day and immediately took notice of the chatter that was going about. She looked towards the back and saw Yuri lounging on a chair and then knew why everyone was in such a frenzy. The Kwon had descended amongst the common people once again.

 

Tiffany really didn’t care about this kind of thing. There was no point in idolizing someone who she barely knew. Sure Yuri was perceived as the tall, dark, and bishoujo type that everyone wanted but couldn’t have. She was always level headed and gave off this cool type of aura. However, that did nothing for Tiffany. While everyone else was afraid of getting near the “goddess” in the back corner, Tiffany strolled up nonchalantly and took the seat in front of her. There was a collective gasp and then silence as her classmates watched her bold move. Yuri took notice as well.

 

As Tiffany was getting her notebook and pen from her backpack, she felt a tap on her shoulder. She turned around to face the disturbance. “Do you need something,” she asked as she placed her things on the desk.

 

“Not really. I was just wondering why you sat over here. That’s all,” Yuri coolly inquired.

 

Tiffany turned back to her belongings and answered, “Because I can. It’s a free world and I can choose to sit wherever I like.”

 

Yuri smiled and sat back on her chair. The girl in front of her was atypical. She wasn’t intimidated at all by Yuri. It was a refreshing feeling, to not have someone cower in fear of you. Even though the girl in front of her seemed cold, she wasn’t so stuck up to completely ignore her either. After observing the girl a little more, Yuri leaned forward again and spoke, “I’m Yuri Kwon.”

 

“Why does she keep talking to me? I just want to sit here in peace and wait for the class to start,” Tiffany thought. She turned around to the mild annoyance behind her. “Yes, I already know who you are.”

 

“I guess that’s not surprising,” Yuri said out loud. Tiffany rolled her eyes and was about to turn away when Yuri saw that. “Wait, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to be offensive.”

 

“None taken. Is there anything else you want while you still have my attention,” asked Tiffany raising an eyebrow.

 

This was the first time in a long while that Yuri had to fight to keep someone’s attention. The girl in front intrigued her more. “What’s your name,” Yuri finally asked.

 

Tiffany looked at Yuri and replied, “People call me Tiffany.”

 

“Well hello People-call-me-Tiffany,” Yuri said with a grin.

 

Tiffany immediately deadpanned at the lameness of that attempted joke. “Tiffany, it’s just Tiffany,” she said as she turned back towards the front of the class.

 

“It was nice to meet you Tiffany,” Yuri said as she leaned back again in her chair.

 

The whole class looked at this unusual situation and began gossiping amongst themselves. It was normal for Yuri to briefly hold a conversation or engage in someone if they approached her but it was a rare sight to see her initiate. The major questions that circled through the class were about who Tiffany was and how come they never knew of her before. As usual, Tiffany didn’t pay any mind to these trivial thoughts and so she simply focused on the class for the rest of the period and left like nothing ever happened.

 

It was on the next day that Tiffany found that “goddess” leaning on her desk. Tiffany sighed and approached the taller girl. Their classmates kept talking with each other but their eyes followed Tiffany’s every move. They too were interested to see what Yuri would do.

 

“Good morning Tiffany,” Yuri said with a borderline cocky smile.

 

“Hello. Now could you please remove yourself from my desk? I need to set my stuff down and get ready for class,” said Tiffany as she approached Yuri.

 

Yuri playfully outstretched her arms to usher Tiffany to her seat. She coolly returned to her own seat behind Tiffany and carefully observed the girl in front of her. “I want to get to know her more. This girl is different from anyone else that I have met in my lifetime. This is going to be an interesting year,” Yuri thought to herself with a crooked smile.