Chapter 4

What I Once Had.

 

Back at the University Bar, Yejin had just arrived and was ready to take her shift. She quickly changed her clothes and got into her position at the bar. There hadn’t been a few minutes that passed by when a certain someone had already come in, sitting at the stool right in front of Yejin.

 

“Good evening sir, what can I ge—“ He’s here! Kim Jaejoong is here!

 

“As promised, I’m back to see you..” Oh dear God, his smile.. “I’ll just have a beer, Yejin-ssi.” he winked at her.

 

Yejin quickly got a beer from the fridge, opening it up and handing it over to him. She didn’t know what else to do but to watch him gulp down the beer in one shot. . .eyes on his flawless neck the whole time. When she realized what she was doing, she turned away, hoping he wouldn’t notice she had been watching him like some awe-struck fangirl.

 

And she was wrong.

 

Little did she know, Jaejoong was also keeping a close eye on her while he drank from his first bottle. Cute, he thought.

 

“Would you like another..?”

 

He shook his head lightly, leaning against the counter “You do know that I didn’t come to drink right?”

 

“Sir, I—“

 

“Jaejoong.”

 

“What?” she tilted her head

 

“Call me Jaejoong.” he smiled at her

 

“Jaejoong-ssi..” she started out carefully, not wanting to embarrass herself even by just saying his name.

 

Before she could even add to what she was about to say, he had already cut her off. “What time do you get off?”

 

“Excuse me..?”

 

“Come on, I’m not some sleazeball. I just want to walk you home, Yejin-ah. No tricks, I promise”

 

Was he really serious? Him? Take HER home? She found it rather strange that someone like him would even approach someone like her. Last time she checked, she wasn’t his type.

 

A few seconds had gone by and they just stared at each other. One was still trying to wrap what was happening in their mind, and the other was patiently waiting for an answer.

 

“I’m sorry, b-but we don’t really know each other. . .” she replied, too quietly at that.

 

Jaejoong frowned at her response. Nobody’s even turned him down before. In his mind, a few thoughts were already at work at how he would convince her to take his offer. When suddenly,

 

“Jaejoong!” Mr. Jeon, the owner of the University Bar had come out from his office after seeing him at the bar counter.

 

“Uncle Jeon, how are you?” Jaejoong smiled at the middle-aged man, but inside…he was smirking right at Yejin.

 

He knows Mr. Jeon..? Tch. Explains why he can come around here anytime with any girl he wants. Yejin watched the two men converse for a few moments in front of her. Seems like they were catching up on a few things, she thought. She didn’t want to pry any longer, so she started cleaning glasses behind the bar to occupy herself. But, when she heard her name in their conversation, she couldn’t help listening for a bit.

 

“I know, uncle. But she wouldn’t let me~” Jaejoong mused.

 

Mr. Jeon called out to her “Yejin?”

 

“Ne, sir?”

 

“Jaejoong’s right you know. It’s not safe for you to go home late at night alone.”

 

“But I’m really fine~ My apartment isn’t too far from here” she nodded to her boss

 

“You never know what might happen, Yejin. Safety first~” he added

 

Jaejoong was standing right beside him, smiling victoriously at her. “Fine…” she mumbled.

 

Her boss and Jaejoong exchanged a few more greetings before finally waving each other goodbye as Mr. Jeon still had lots of paperwork to do in his office.

 

“So, what time?”

 

She sighed and looked at her watch “I get off by 11:00PM.”

 

“Oh, don’t let me bother you and your work. I’ll just wait right here..” he patted his seat.

 

 

 

 

 

2 hours, 3 beers, and one argument later, Yejin was already on her way back to her apartment. . . with Jaejoong of course. Once they reached the front door, she pretended to cough, as if telling Jaejoong it was his cue to go.

 

“Getting rid of me so quickly?” he laughed

 

“It’s just really late..” she reasoned

 

“Well, you’re home now… I’ll get going~”

 

Yejin gave him a polite smile, mouthing ‘thank you’ before he had gone his way.

 

After cleaning up, she headed straight for her bed. At the end of the day, her bed always felt like heaven for her. She was almost asleep when her phone buzzed on the bedside table.

 

“What the…” Yejin squinted her eyes to look at the new message.

 

 

 

From: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

 

I’m glad you got home safely. Maybe I should take you home every night, hm?

Sleep well, Yejin.

I’ll see you soon.

 

 

 

 

Looks like someone won’t be sleeping for a while…