Story#7: Americano and Ice-cream.

Sunny's Oneshot Collection

 

Today was just another one of those days where my parents were arguing and I just needed to get out of the house for some closure. Living under the same roof as my parents was suffocating to an extent, since everytime they had an argument they would force me to take sides.
 
When I was younger, I didn't know better, and I would take the side of my mother or father, depending on who I liked better for the day. And this would often result in the other parent ignoring me for weeks on end.
 
Yes, my parents were that childish. But when they got along, they really had the chemistry. Well, today was just not one of those days. After what I had gone through when I was younger, I had learned not to take sides, but rather leave it to them to sort the problem out themselves. Not only did it save me from being ignored, it gave me some alone time to think.
 
I found myself walking to the cafe I always went to when I was feeling sad, depressed or when I needed some time to think. Everytime I went, I always ordered the same thing: an Americano with strawberry ripple ice-cream.
 
A weird combination, yet I liked it anyway. Initially the person at the counter questioned my choice of food with the drink, after I told her that it was just me who was weird, she laughed it off, and stopped questioning me. Always giving me the same order everytime I went since I had become some sort of a regular there.
 
And everytime I went to that cafe, I always took the last booth by the window and I could spend hours sitting there just thinking and people-watching. Often when I went, there would be this guy sitting in the booth just beside the door. The few times I looked at him, I realised he had very handsome features, and I even noticed that he always drank an Americano everytime he came.
 
Unknowingly, I found myself crushing on the guy, and it seemed like today was lucky in its own way, because the guy was at his usual seat, drinking his usual cup of Americano. I had made eye contact with him almost everytime I came, and everytime, he would give me a small smile and nod to acknowledge me, so I would do the same. Over time, it became habitual, but never once did he come and talk to me, neither did I make the effort to try and talk to him.
 
I had just finished my ice-cream and were about to take a sip of my Americano when I noticed a shadow glooming over my table. So I looked up and realised that it was that handsome guy who frequented the cafe.
 
“May I?” He asked and motioned to the empty seat opposite me, his voice was melodious to my ears.
 
I nodded and he slid into the booth, putting his own cup of Americano on the table as he did so.
 
I looked at him questioningly, so he smiled at me and introduced himself, “Hi, I'm Lee Sungmin, you are?”
 
I smiled back and replied with, “Lee Soonkyu, nice to finally talk to you.”
 
He laughed at that and said, “The feeling is mutual.”
 
“So what made you decide to talk to me today?” I asked out of curiosity.
 
At this he blushed slightly and replied with, “To be honest I don't know what came over me, I just thought you might want someone to talk to today?”
 
My eyes widened in surprise as he said so since I did feel like it, so I said, “Well you thought right!”
 
“So... I noticed you liked eating ice-cream and drinking Americano...” He started.
 
But I interrupted him, “Yeah, I know.. Weird combination. That's what everyone says, but I just like it like that.”
 
He laughed at how quick I were to defend myself, “I wasn't even going to say anything bad about that! I just wanted to say, I think it's a cool combination, and I was thinking of trying it!”
 
I tilted my head and said, “Right...”
 
“You don't believe me do you?” He asked.
 
“Nope.” I replied, straightforwardly.
 
He pouted, asking, “Why not?!?!”
 
“Because everyone else in the right mind thinks it's weird?” I suggested.
 
“So you're implying that I'm not in the right state of mind?!” He exclaimed and pouted even more than I thought was possible.
 
I laughed at him and said, “I suppose so..”
 
He suddenly grinned and said, “Hey, at least I'm not alone!”
 
After pondering for a while I finally got it and said, “I see what you did there.. Not bad...”
 
“I know..” He replied while grinning.
 
After somemore playful banter, Sungmin ordered some ice-cream of his own and tried my 'weird combination'. What surprised me was that he actually enjoyed it, unlike most of my friends who would scrunch their noses in disgust at the clashing tastes of the ice-cream and coffee. Looks like both me and Sungmin had more in common than I thought.
 
When he had finished his ice-cream, he grinned at me and shot me 2 thumbs up. I looked at him questioningly as he explained how that wasn't the weirdest combination ever, but rather the best combination ever. Then he went on and said that he would be ordering that everytime from now on, which caused me to laugh at him, since he had a determined look on his face.
 
Soon, we both finished our Americanos. I turned and looked out the window, upset that time flew by when I chatted with Sungmin. I didn't realise I was furrowing my eyebrows until Sungmin kneaded them apart with his fingers.
 
I looked at him questioningly and he shrugged and replied with, “You were frowning.”
 
I smiled and said, “Well, I'm not now.”
 
“Since our drinks are finished...” Sungmin started.
 
I didn't let him finish and I said, “Since our drinks are finished, should we leave now?”
 
Sungmin pouted slightly and said, “I was about to ask if you wanted to go for a walk with me.”
 
I blushed and said, “I'm sorry for interrupting you...”
 
It was a bad habit of mine, to interrupt people when they were speaking, because I didn't dare hope for anything.
 
“About that walk..?” Sungmin asked hopefully.
 
“Sure!” I exclaimed as Sungmin grinned while holding the cafe door open for me.
 
The both of us left the cafe just as the waitress at the counter smiled while shaking her head saying, “It's about time they got together...”
 
Somehow, I and Sungmin ended up strolling in the park and he asked, “So I was wondering if we will see each other again...?”
 
I shrugged, “I suppose we will since we both frequent that cafe?”
 
“Yeah but you don't go there very often.. Only when you're upset or depressed...” Sungmin replied, suddenly finding his hands very interesting.
 
I looked at him, surprised that he knew and I asked, “How did you know?”
 
“Your expressions...” He replied simply.
 
“Wow.. And you know that because..?” I asked out of curiosity.
 
Sungmin's face turned beet red as he replied with, “I just notice okay!”
 
I laughed at his nervousness and said, “Okay~”
 
“So we'll see each other again, won't we?” Sungmin asked just to be certain.
 
“I guess so?” I stated.
 
Then he pouted since mine was an uncertain answer. Then he insisted on exchanging numbers with me, to which I gladly obliged since that crush of mine wasn't over as of yet. I found myself smiling as I looked at his contact in my phone while the both of us walked over to the park bench.
 
Once the both of us sat down, he suddenly confessed, blushing, “I know this is the first time we've talked, but I've noticed you and had a crush since the first time you stepped into that cafe, and I won't ask you to be my girlfriend just yet, all I'm asking for is if you will go on a date with me?”
 
My eyes widened in surprise as I blushed fiercely.
 
I decided that this was a good time to tell him of my feelings as well, so, “Actually I kinda noticed you and started having a crush on you since the first time I saw you in that cafe as well.. So, yes I will go on that date with you.”
 
Immediately he jumped up in joy and cheered loudly, while going around the park to tell the little kids that I had accepted his date, and I laughed at how childish he was.
 
Then he walked me home, once outside my door, he said, “So, my girlfriend-to-be, I'll see you tomorrow~”
 
I blushed and nodded as he grinned and waved at me while walking backwards. What came over me next, I will never know, as I ran to him and hugged him. Giving him a peck on the cheek, causing him to turn beet-red as he hugged me back tightly and kissed me lightly on the forehead.
 
After which he ushered me into my house as I waved at him through the window, forgetting about both my parents whom had already made up. They stood in each others embrace, grinning and waiting for me to tell them about my now-forming love life.