Preliminary Round

The Heavenly Tower

~SUZY'S POV~     

"Let's start with the basics. There are 3 towers here. The middle tower, also the biggest is where the games begin. The smallest one is the shop tower where you can get supplies and weapons. Yes, weapons, of course. The 2nd biggest tower is where the dorms are. To be specific, its where the families live." Taecyeon pointed at the picture of three looming towers.

"Families?"

"Yes. There are people who live here in the towers forever. They develop families, also known as clans or guilds. They are the regular players. They attend the tower game for the sake of bringing fame to their familiy name. To be precise, irregular players like you who don't live in the tower is actually prohibited in the game." He said matter-of-factly.

"What?! Then why am i--"

"It is prohibited but irregulars still play. Thus is why you have that mark I gave you. Regulars would aim for weak frys like you."

"Great. I can imagine thousands of people running towards me, throwing arrows and holding knives." I mumbled.

"Well, similar to that."

Are you kidding me?!

Why am I here in the first place?

All because of Uncle. I cannot believe him.

"Okay. Now that you are familiar with the towers. Let's explain the games. Each year, the games are different. The tower consists of multiple floors. Each floor is a game arena for the game to take place. Those who loses will stay on that floor, people who win, advances to the next floor. Advanced and expert players who once completed the tower will become examiners. Also known as the jugdes on each floor."

I was half-listening.

Boring. Boring. Boring.

I was pretty sure I'll get killed right away once I enter the game.

A piece of chalk came flying at my head.

"Ouch!!" I glared at him.

"Pay attention."

"FINE." I grumbled and glued my eyes at the chalkboard.

"Next, the top floor."

I sat up straight, suddenly interested in the next topic.

I wanted to know what was on the top floor. I mean, I know that your wish will be granted but who does it and how?

"The top floor is also the kingdom of the royal family."

"Huh?"

An answer I never expected.

"Beside wish granting, nobody knows exactly what else exists on the top floor."

I smirked. I felt all fired up. "Then I'll go up there and find out."

"What? Do you finally have the confidence to climb the tower?"

I admit that all this talk got me motivated. Besides my only hope is the tower. It can grant me money.

That was my desire.

I needed money.

"Very well then. I already assigned a group for you. They recently joined the game as regulars. Hmm..." Taecyeon his imaginary beard as he stared at the screen of the tablet he was holding. "They are currently on the 1st floor. They managed to pass the preliminary test. Not bad, not bad."

I sighed and dropped my head onto the desk. "A preliminary round??" I groaned in annoyance and banged my head against the desk.

"Oh course. What did you expect? Oh! You cannot join the group just yet because you haven't passed the preliminary round yet." He snickered.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

I tied my hair up into a bun and patted my chest.

You can do this.

It's just a preliminary round after all.

I pumped my fist into the air. "Fighting Sue Ji!!"

 

Taecyeon led me to the Game Tower.

Finally. Everything depended on this.

Will I live or die.... I shut my eyes and inhaled then exhaled. Taecyeon gazed at me. He leaned forward and pecked my forehead.

My eyes shot open and glared at him. I rubbed my forehead. "Yah! What was that?"

He pulled me into a hug. "Stay alive." He whispered by my ear. I could feel his breath, brushing against me.

"I'm scared." I whimpered as tears welled up.

I wanted to live.

I wanted to pay back the debts.

I wanted to survive but I'm scared.

I'm not strong, I'm just an ordinary girl. How can I possibly fight against all those people who treats my life as nothing but a stepping stone onto the preceeding floors?

"You will live. I believe that you will. Survive and show them what you are."

For the first time, I felt secure. Taecyeon was the 'bad guy' who forced me into this but I wished he would stay by my side on every floor. I was afraid to do this alone. I was sick of being alone. I was tired of everything, of everyone, of being lonely, all by myself all the time.

Taecyeon broke our hug and patted my head. "You can do this. Here." He handed me a long sheathed sword.

"What for?"

"Extra protection. Trust me, it will aid you."

I nodded and hung the sword onto my belt.

 

I walked into the game tower. It was extremely tall and gray on the outside. On the contrary, the inside was bright and modern looking. The walls, ceilings, basically everything was white. The first floor, i assumed, consisted of nothing but an elevator and a girl ? I mustered up all my courage and walked towards the elevator. The girl looked up and bowed.

"Good afternoon, Miss."

I quickly did an awkward bow too. "A-ah. Good afternoon to you too." I stuttered.

"Preliminary Round?" The girl kept her emotionless face and asked everything with a straight face. It was as if she wasn't human. She was like..... a robot.

"Ne." I tried to steady my voice but I couldn't help but tremble in fear over what was going to happen.

I didn't know what was going to happen of course but something told me it wasn't going to absolutely pleasant.

The elevator doors pulled open. The girl gestured me inside. "Good luck, Miss. The preliminary rounds are on the 0 floor."

0 floor? I gave her a confused look but she didn't reply. She gave another bow. "I wish the best for you. Do survive."

I scoffed.

Of course. I wanted to survive too. I didn't need her to tell me that but the problem is whether I had the abilities to do so.

 

I stepped out of the elevator after it came to a stop. I gulped as everyone in the room was glaring at me, daring me to make another move.

"You will live. I believe that you will. Survive and show them what you are." Taecyeon's words rung in my head.

I nodded at the words in my head. I will survive.

A gleam of light suddenly shone onto the floor in the middle of the room and a plump man came flying out.

I tumbled backwards.

What the--?!?! This tower is certainly the craziest stuff ever! Everyone else looked at the man like it was certainly normal to do that.

Right, they are the regular members of the tower, of course they would all be used to this.

Well, not me! I'm just an ordinary girl who recently found out that MAGIC exists.

The plump man was dressed in a bright blue, pin-striped suit. He was dressed in a white blouse, black bow-tie and gleaming black leather shoes. He had the funniest looking mustache ever. It was super big but curly at the ends.

I clasped my mouth with my hands to stifle my giggles.

The man clapped his hands together and flashed us a bright smile.

"Ladies & Gents! It's a pleasure to see you guys. You must be this year's contestants! I know gaining fame for your family must be very important but don't forget to have fun!" he chirped.

Fun? Like anyone can get fun in this one-hell of a place. I rolled my eyes as the plump man continued smiling.

"Now now, this is the preliminary rounds, as you guys all know. I am the examiner of the Preliminary Round!! I will fail you with no mercy, understand?" He smiled at the crowd but I knew otherwise. His eyes was filled with threat as if he dared anybody to object against his words.

He clapped his hands again. "Wonderific!! Let the Preliminary Round begin!"

I clutched my sword and prayed. This is the start of this horror game but also the end to my painful live. I will be reborn!

I ran to catch up with the crowd. We stepped into a pitch black room. Nothing could be seen.

"Behold!!" the plump man's voice bellowed into the room.

A flash of light shone onto a cage at the very end of the room. I gasped. No way.

At the end of the room was a enormous, black cage and inside was a indescribable monster. The monster seemed sound asleep. The monster was covered with dark blue-dark green scales. It's height was incredible. It was almost 50times the size of a human. What scared me the most was it's sickle-like claws that was long and sharp. It's fangs protruded from his mouth.

I gulped and glanced around the room. To my surprise, the regulars were just as scaried despite being trained since small.

The plump man walked up to the cage, hands behind his back and turned to face us. He spread his arms and laughed. It was definitely not pleasant.

"Behold the monster of the Preliminary Round, Execrable Jr.!"

Execrable. Huh. It does fit well, considering how unpleasant that monster is. I tried to steady my breathing.

I crossed my fingers and prayed again.

 

Please do not make me fight that monster.

Please do not make me fight that monster.

Please do not make me fight that monster.

Please do not make me fight th--

 

"You do not have  to fight the monster." the examnier began.

I sighed and clutched my chest.

"But you must retrieve the key inside the cage."

Okay never mind. Panic time!! I nearly passed out.

The examiner smirked as he gestured at the cage. "Inside the cage, there is exactly enough keys for everyone of you to have one key. They key leads you to the elevator. However, only one person fits ont eh elevator so do not try anything weird. You are allowed to use any means to possess the key. You are even allowed to all charge into the cage at once... that is only if you don't treasure your life."

The examiner started fading away into the thin air. "Good luck dear test takers." Like that, he vanished, echoing his sinister laugh throughout the room.

I wiped my sweaty palms on my jeans and nibbled on my lips as I examined the other test takers. My eyes rested upon the monster. I quickly shut my eyes, trying to breathe more evenly.

"Well, all you sore losers can surrender. The winner will be me." A muscular man spoke up. His arms were bulging out with muscles and veins. He was much much taller than me. He held a long, heavy axe. He kicked the end of it and swung it up and balanced it onto his shoulder.

"I'll be the first to pass. Watch the amazing abilities of the Jung Family."

Everyone started whispering among each other.

What are they saying? I my lip and walked closer to the test takers, but not making it too obvious.

 

"He's from the Jung Family!"

"Ah! Jung family is strong for their ruthless and crazy strength."

"Absurd! He's from the Jung family?!"

Well, I guess this is what Taecyeon means by 'family'.

 

A girl chirped up. "Maybe we should observe on how he plans on stealing the key. We can follow his example and complete this round."

Bingo! Wow, I honestly wanted to give her a pat on the back. That was a great idea!

Well, it was great for someone like me.

Everyone else nodded in agreement.

 

The Jung man smirked at the compliments everyone said about the Jung family. He was obviously loving the attention.

He faced Execrable and smirked.

I held my breath as he started charging at the monster.

 

The monster quickly awoken and released its anger.

Oh no.

It slashed its charp claws at the man. With great talent, he immediately dodged it and with great force,

"Argggghhh!!" He threw the axe at the monster but the axe just bounced off of the monster's hard scales.

The man trembled a bit but quickly regained his posture and ducked as the monster lashed out at him again.

The man slid on the floor and slided over to the back of the monster.

He laughed triumphantly. "I SEE THE KEYS!"

Everyone errupted into cheers.

 

I relaxed.

It wasn't so bad. It seemed passable. Just a few reflexes can help you pass.

 

Suddenly, a terrifying screech rung throughout the whole room.

Everyone froze.

 

Something came flying out of the cage and landed.

It ...

was..

the man's head...

 

I shook in fear as my legs gave way and I collapsed onto the floor.

"Ahh... ahhhhh!!!" I screamed as I tried to backen away.

I shut my eyes and screamed. Everyone backed away in fear.

 

Blood gushed out of the dead man's head.

It was a sight I would never forget.

His eyes was empty, blank and souless. His mouth hung open, he was completely lifeless.

 

He was dead.

 

I hugged my knees as tears streaked down my face.

Stop.

Stop.

Take me away from this game!!!!

TAKE ME AWAY!!!

I DON'T WANT TO PARTICIPATE ANYMORE.

 

The monster glared at me with threathening eyes. I locked eye-contact with him. I was overtaken by fear. I couldn't move at all.

"Please... Don't do this to me." I pleaded at the monster even though I knew it couldn't or even understand how I feel.

The monster's eyes kept staring at me.

I shut my eyes and covered my ears. "Stop doing this to me! I don't want to stay here! You can't even possibly understand me. Yet you're just there killing everyone... Just let me go. Even you don't want to stay caged there. Everyone wants happiness. I don't want to do this anymore. This game, I hate it all!!" I whimpered.

"I understand." came a voice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gomawo for reading~ Subscribe, comment and upvote!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This chapter was kinda y. I'm really bad at descriptive writing, especially fighting and horror scenes.
I tried my best to get the imagery in my head into words and write it out to the readers. It's actually really hard. OTL.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~