A Dish

Brown Stains

 

“One tiramisu coffee and a soda please,” I ordered.

“Will that be dined-in or take-away?” JongUp asked.

I laughed at his question. What did he think this place was? “Why didn’t you ask me whether I wanted fries with that too?”

His eyebrows furrowed in confusion. Then he said it. He actually said it. “Would you like fries with that?”

Laughter burst out from me as he said it. I was having too much fun with him; he didn’t even have a clue. Poor kid. I shouldn’t do this to someone so cute. “JongUp-ssi, you should listen to me less and be confident with yourself more.”

The drinks I ordered were ready so I grabbed them and then smiled at JongUp before returning to my seat. Putting the drinks down, YongGuk stared at me and made a face. “What did you do to him?”

“What do you mean?” I asked, taking a sip of the coffee.

“The poor kid’s traumatized by you!” YongGuk lowered his voice as he reached over to hit me on the head but I dodged just in time, making sure that my coffee was stable in my hands. YongGuk clicked his tongue, “You shouldn’t do that.”

I giggled. “Are you trying to sound like someone?”

YongGuk gave me a puzzled look but then he just ignored my question. “I can’t believe you’re already drunk. I shouldn’t have brought you here.”

“Mwo?” I asked a bit too loudly. Then I covered my mouth and giggled some more. “I’m not drunk, you idiot. I was just teasing the kid. He needs a bit more…how do you say…? Pizzazz? Ne, pizzazz!”

“You should get some pizzazz for yourself before giving somebody else some,” he smirked.

“Yaa,” this time I extended my arm over the table to award him with some of his own medicine. But he easily stopped my hand and let it down as gently as he could. I scowled, defeated, “This isn’t fair! You’re using your manliness to overcome me! You genderist!”

“What the hell are you even talking about?” YongGuk burst into his weird laughing fit, clutching his stomach as he did. In between his hiccups of laughs, he managed to say, “Manliness? Genderist??” and then went on laughing at whatever that was not even funny about what I just said.

“Shut up, YongGuk,” I said through gritted teeth. When he refused to hide his pink gums, I grabbed his soda and then slurped it with all my might.

“Yaa!” he cried, snatching his drink back and then shaking the cup only to hear ice against ice. “Now that’s not being fair! Give me your coffee!”

“Andwae!” I took hold of my cup and just as YongGuk was about to seize it, a dish came to our table. Then I noticed the hand placing it, and when I saw the person himself, I instantly felt bad.

“Your fries,” said JongUp.