A Glutton

Brown Stains

 

“Eomma,” I groaned. “Stop it, you’re embarrassing me.”

“You’re the one who’s embarrassing me,” eomma replied. “Don’t slouch, that’s very unlady-like. We’re at a wedding, who knows if we might find a future husband for you here? Behave yourself.”

“Neeeeeee,” I said half-heartedly as I tried to get my normal posture. But it was impossible. Wearing a hanbok always made me feel uncomfortable that my body just couldn’t be its usual self. And the idea of meeting someone I was gonna marry made it harder. I wished I hadn’t tagged along. But food at weddings was always so good, how was I to resist? “Eomma, let’s go grab some foo –”

Something, or rather someone, I saw made me want to go hide under the nearest table. As I prepared myself for the dive, I realized that using eomma as a shield would save me from any possible embarrassment if my dive failed. So I grabbed her shoulders and hid my face behind her.

“Eommo,” eomma cried, startled from my sudden action. “What are you doing?”

“Just let me hide here for a few seconds,” I gasped, maneuvering myself in swift little movements so as not to attract the attention of that someone. But then I noticed how the other guests around us were looking at me. I brought this onto myself. This was so embarrassing.

“Wh –” eomma started to say but then a family catches her interest instead. “Eommo~ isn’t it the Jung family. You even brought your son? He’s really good-looking like you said he was, Jung-ssi!”

“Eo?” a familiar voice made its way into my ears.

This was the thing that I dreaded the most when going to weddings. The dive under the table didn’t sound as embarrassing now as it had been. I shut my eyes and convinced myself that I was invisible. You didn’t see me here. It was just your imagination. You didn’t –

“Eommo,” eomma said. “Your son knows my daughter?”

“Ye,” the recognizable voice answered politely. “She’s a regular customer at the bookstore where I work.”

“Eommo,” eomma said, again. “You’re working already? At such a young age?”

“Ye,” he chuckled as I came out from hiding. “It’s only part-time work though.”

I knew it, it was him. It wasn’t as embarrassing as I thought it would be meeting someone I knew – even though we barely knew each other – at a wedding. But it was still embarrassing because he was giving me that same strange look when I had asked him that peculiar question. Maybe it was because he had never seen me wear something other than my everyday clothes. “DaeHyun-ssi.”

“You look nice,” he said, smiling too widely that the apple of his cheeks looked like they were about to fall off. Our eomma’s giggled as he said that.

Feeling a blush creeping up my cheeks, I turned away and pretended to busy myself with the food on the table that had been near enough for me to improvise. “Gomawoyo. You look…nice too.”

“Gomawoyo,” DaeHyun chuckled, taking the place next to me. I stole a glance at him, looking sharp in his tuxedo as he munched happily on the food that I had put on my plate, which I had wanted to eat.