A Coffee

Brown Stains

 

A cup of tiramisu coffee was like a cup of heaven. The moment the rich flavors hit your tongue; you could feel your soul leaving your body to fly up into the heavens. I wasn’t even exaggerating. The creamy texture, the potent essence, the wonderful pungent aftertaste; everything was so brilliantly combined that it was impossible for someone not to want more.

But for someone like me, being a caffeine addict was bad news because I got drunk from it. Yes, drunk on caffeine. Not alcohol, caffeine. Caffeine caffeine coffee caffeiene coffee. That was the stuff. Caffeine was like alcohol to me. One cup, I was okay. A bit tipsy but I could still think straight. But if that one cup was left to cool down a bit, and you know how a cup of coffee would be if left to sit for too long.

The coffee, or dairy, or cream, or whatever you added to your coffee, it would settle down at the bottom of the cup. This would then result in a cloud of flavors just waiting to be awakened once again. That very cloud, that mixture of flavors, it was as strong as cough medicine, only less bitter more tasty. Those potent flavors were what made me drunk and sleepy. Yeahhhh that was the stuff. A cup of tiramisu coffee just screams “take me to heaven!”

“Excuse me,” a voice interrupted my heavenly thoughts.

I looked up from my empty cup and then saw that it was a waiter. He was talking to me. Funny that. Why would he be talking to me? With his cute eyes and angelic grin, I wanted to throw stones at this kid. What was he smiling on about? “What?” I managed to slur.

“Um,” he hesitated, suddenly seeming too shy. “We’re almost closing, so…”

He left the sentence hanging. So what? So what? What was he trying to say? He was the one closing, so what? So? “What?”

“You should get ready to leave, I guess?” he said uncertainly.

This kid was too polite. If he was gonna kick me out he needed to be bolder than that. I glanced at his nametag which read ‘Moon JongUp’, such a cute name for a cute kid. “Moon JongUp,” I tested the way his name would sound out loud in a slight hiccup.

“Ne?” he bent down a bit, confused as if he had misheard what I said. Silly boy. Then he looked around as if someone else had addressed him.

I lifted my hand and twirled my index finger in the air as his eyes followed curiously. In the end I pointed to his chest. “Nametag. Naaaaammmeetaaaaaggggg.”

“Oh,” he said in realization, his chin on his chest, staring at his own nametag as if he just discovered its existence. Then he smiled that innocent smile of his again. “Nametag.”

“So, JongUp-ssi,” I said, getting back on track. “May I get another cup of tiramisu coffee, please?”

A confused expression appeared on his face again. “But…as I said before, we’re closing now. All the machines are already turned off and cleaned. So…”

There he went again, again with the hanging sentences. If he wasn’t gonna finish his sentences then might as well not say it. I needed more coffee. I picked up my cup and took a sip. “Hmm, empty cup.”