A Clone

Brown Stains

 

“Eo?” I looked up from my book as I heard the shoe rack creaking. “It’s just you, JiEun-unnie?”

“Ne,” she sighed and then plopped next to me on the couch. “The other girls are still out partying.”

“Why didn’t you go with them, then?” I asked, taking off my glasses and then placing it in between the pages of my book. “You obviously didn’t come home early just because I’m alone.”

“You shouldn’t do that,” JiEun shook her head, ruffling my hair. “You’re always so negative. You think I won’t come home because of you?”

“Ani,” I stated. “I’m not reason enough for you to miss that party in Gangnam. So don’t tell me –”

“Ne, ne,” she sighed, easily giving up. “You know how your oppa gets when I stay out all night.”

“He’s not my oppa,” I said, giving her a weird look. “He’s your oppa.”

“We’re the same age,” JiEun giggled, now she sounded drunk. “I don’t call him oppa. Besides, he doesn’t deserve any cute nicknames for making me come home early on a Saturday night!”

“This is why I’m not dating anyone,” I scoffed.

“Wait,” JiEun stared at me solemnly. “I thought the reason why you’re not dating anyone is because no one wants to date you.” Then she burst out laughing.

“Heollllll unnie! I wouldn’t have minded if that came from YongGuk, but you unnie? That hurt, okay?”

“Mian, mian,” she giggled, wiping tears from her eyes carefully so as not to smudge her eyeliner. “I think I got infected with YongGuk disease.”

“Eish,” I groaned. “This is another reason why I’m not dating. You spend so much time together and get infected with their personality, and then soon you become so much alike you’re practically clones! Argh! This is a nightmare! As if one YongGuk isn’t enough!”

“Aw, don’t worry too much,” she sighed, closing her eyes while laying her head on my lap. “I won’t be that mean. I love YongGuk, but not so much as to be like him.”

“But you were a lot like him just now,” I pouted, still hurt from her words.

“Mian, I’m just drunk,” JiEun her back and then gazed at me. “Let’s get some coffee?”

“I thought you were being the obedient girlfriend tonight?” I smirked at the idea of late night coffee.

“Ani,” she shook her head, smiling. “I’ll show you that I’m far from being like your oppa.”

“But,” I gave her a threatening look. “What if I tell on you?”

“How does a large size tiramisu sound?” she shrugged and then giggled.

“Make that extra large and I’ll personally sew my lips shut!” I exclaimed as we got up and then headed for the door. JiEun went to open it while I put on my coat but by the time I was ready, she still hadn’t gone out. Then I saw that there was someone blocking her way.

It was YongGuk.