A Waiter

Brown Stains

 

The bell tinkled. I looked up but it wasn’t the person I was expecting. So I gazed into my cup again, in hopes that the swirly swirls of creamy cinammony tiramisu coffee would ease my heart. A little sip was all that was needed to make me calm. And with the help of the soothing piano music that the café had put on, even my hurting head felt numb.

But even if my head was starting to feel loose, my heart kept beating like I had just had a cup of my favoritest coffee in the whole wide world. Wait, I had had. My hands itched to grab the cup again but I told myself no, not when my emotions were already running high on caffeine. I didn’t know what or who I was waiting for but I waited nonetheless.

I had seen DaeHyun in the bookstore when I got here. I wasn’t sure if this was the reason I was anticipating something but it was somewhat. He had smiled at me and then mimed drinking from a cup – because his pinky was raised. It was really ambiguous though. He hadn’t made it clear whether it was a question or a question. Okay, that was also ambiguous. What I meant was that he hadn’t specified his question. Because miming drinking from a cup wasn’t enough to relay the full message. Could he have meant ‘getting coffee?’ or ‘wanna drink coffee with me later after my shift ends?’

Of course there are other possibilities but really, those were the two out of a gazillion others that I narrowed down. And then there was YongGuk. I hadn’t seen him all day because I skipped all my classes because I overslept the whole day. Not really. I kinda woke up on time but then there was the snooze button and – who invented the snooze button anyway? It was an evil button that encouraged lazy people like me to skip a whole day of classes!

I pulled out my phone and realized that I still hadn’t replied YongGuk’s texts which read, ‘Yaa, where are you?’ ‘Why aren’t you answering the phone?’ ‘You’d better reply this message!’ YongGuk was gonna kill me. He sent the texts nine hours ago. And the weird thing was that he sent them consecutively and there were no missed calls. At all.

Composing a message in my head, my eyes wandered around the shop and then landed on JongUp. He caught my gaze and just as I was about to smile, he turned away. He seemed nervous. Something must be bothering him. I held my hand up to call him over, but then I remembered why I had taken my phone out in the first place. I wanted to look up the person who invented the snooze button!

I pushed home button and then noticed the wallpaper. It was a blurry picture I got from JunHong of his big brother. Okay, I kinda went through his phone while he was somewhere else with YongGuk and this perfectly imperfect picture of HimChan was all I could get. HimChan’s face was all fuzzy and he had a hand held up that covered half of it but I could tell he was the type of guy who looked good even in a white t-shirt. The picture was mostly of his white shirt anyway.

My emotions were getting the best of me so I put my phone down and then took a huge gulp of my coffee. Wow, I left it sitting for too long. It was hella strong. Shaking my head, that was feeling so out of place now, I picked up my glass of iced peach tea and instantly knew that something was wrong.

The bell tinkled though and I was distracted from my thoughts. A familiar face came into view and both of us broke into smiles. “You’re here.”

“I was waiting,” I giggled, the caffeine was finally working its magic. “Eo, before I get sidetracked again, let me ask you a question; why is this place a coffee shop if they sell tea here too?”

 

 

 

 

 


I had to.

I can't wait for BAP's comeback! X3

 

Oh and in case anyone was wondering, the person who invented the snooze button was Lew Wallace.