Chapter 4

The Best Friend

Numbers and equations have always intrigued me. The problems that are seemingly complicated for most people, feel like a challenging puzzle to me, waiting impatiently to be solved by anyone who is courageous enough. That is why I joined the math club in the beginning of my second year, which is considered as one of the most elite extracurricular in our school for only the top students can apply to it. It’s not like everyone is willing to spend the precious time resting time for an extra math drill, but since most of its alumni manage to secure a nice spot in prestigious universities, parents are thrilled to have their children in the said club.

Unlike popular beliefs, our club doesn’t consist of ugly nerds covered in thick glasses. In fact, only two out of twenty members actually wear glasses, and they are pretty decent. Our school’s first love, Luhan, is also in the club, but he isn’t all that eye-catching in here since there are many other beauties in the house.

However, the math club is also the extracurricular which has the least feeling of being a club. Since most of its applicants are aiming for a top spot, the competitive atmosphere is quite suffocating as everyone sees each other as a potential rival to eliminate. Although the teacher sometimes assigns us to work in couples or groups, it’s really hard to find anyone to be friends with. It sometimes drives me to the edge; if it isn’t for my passion in problem solving and my parents’ constant nagging, I would’ve quit it a long time ago.

Today is Friday afternoon, so I am set for another long hours of club meeting. Our teacher, Mr Shim, a tall and muscular man with wide mouth and mischievous eyes, is planning on making us work a set of problems in pairs as a preparation to an upcoming tournament. Any pairs that do extremely good in this session will be sent out as delegations from our school. I let out a long sigh after I hear his announcement. I’ve been sent out as a delegation in another competition a couple months ago and when I come back, well, let’s just say that the people in the club make me regret that I was chosen.

 The lot that was drawn by Mr Shim pairs me with none other than the school’s heartthrob, Luhan. No one gives us a second glance, though, because everyone is too concerned with his or herself here. I greet Luhan as I move to the seat next to him and he smiles as a reply. We exchange nothing more than a simple ‘how are you’s and ‘I’m fine’s before we turn our attention to the piece of paper in front of us. Yes, I did promise to Sulli that I’ll talk about her in front of Luhan, but I’ll come to it later just like the other times when I was coupled or grouped with him.

We scan through the 10 problems and decide to split them into three parts: I’ll do 3 problems on my own, Luhan will take the other 3, and the rest will be solved together. I read the first problem and a victorious smirk is formed on my lips before I can control it. I know this.

They say time is flying when you are having fun, and although what I’m doing isn’t considered as what is fun by most people, I’ve lost track of the time. When I’ve done my third problem, I look at Luhan expectantly and he, being able to read what my eyes are saying, quickly hands his paper to my direction. We check each other’s answer—it’s always better to recheck ourselves before handing our work to Mr Shim—and proceed to the next problems. We discuss for a while, pondering over the many options to take and trying many ways to solve them, before finally finish the set in a span of time that quite surprises me.

“Wow, Sunbaenim, we’re done!” I whisper in disbelief while staring in the finished problems in amazement. Luhan chuckles in response. “Yeah, we’re quite in sync this time,” he adds while awkwardly tapping my shoulder, “good job.”

I shake my head stubbornly. “No, Sunbaenim, you’re brilliant,” I spontaneously compliment him as my finger follows the written formulas in astonishment. The accolade is not an empty flattering to cajole him; I truly admit his brightness. Luhan is one of those people that make you realize that life is not fair at all. I mean, how could someone be so perfect and have everything, like him? Even Sulli, who is quite comparable to him in the beauty and popularity section, still has, ironically, math—or probably studying difficulties as general—as her flaws.

 “I can barely think about solving it like this,” I say enthusiastically while pointing at a specific part, “and then you gave me idea about this one,” my finger stops at another part, “and also this, I…”

“Ms Kim, is there anything interesting back there? Are you done?”

I stiffen as I hear Mr Shim calls my name. I must have been too loud and fidgeting too much that I catch his attention. But before I can answer it, someone has answered for me.

“Not yet, Mr Shim. We’re still having a long way to go. We’ll inform you when we’re done,” Luhan lies smoothly while waving dismissively, earning a few mocking chuckles from the others. Mr Shim clicks his tongue in disappointment and clears his throat, silencing the crowd.

“Mr Lu, I’m expecting much more from you and Ms Kim. Just finish it quickly, now. And when you all are done,” Mr Shim pauses for a while stare at all of the students, “we’ll be discussing the answer. Hurry up; don’t be such slowpokes,” he warns the rest of the club.

Luhan looks at my dumbfounded face and grins sheepishly. “I’m sorry; but I’m not exactly thrilled to finish first and make it to the competition. You must be angry at me for losing your chance to join the competition again.”

I shake my head in disagreement, rejecting Luhan’s apology.

“Really? Isn’t that the only reasons why all of you are here?” he asks in amusement, eyebrows are raised in disbelief.

“Nah, I kind of lose interest after I went to one two months ago,” I shrug my shoulder in an attempt to be indifferent. To be honest, I do wish for more chances because math is where I can actually shine and have the spotlight for myself. Not to mention that my parents would be thrilled if they know that I were joining another competition. However, trauma from my last experience of being a delegation is enough to destroy my excitement.

“They are sabotaging you after won, aren’t they?”

I am startled at his right on the spot remarks but before I can respond, he already adds,”Been there, done that. They,” he glances meaningfully to our surroundings, ”aren’t really appreciative of other’s people’s achievements. That’s why I can’t wait to quit,” he casually remarks. “However, you still have a long way to go in here, Junghye-ssi; you’re still in the second year. Don’t mind them too much because you have too much potential that shouldn’t be wasted,” he advices me wisely while patting my head gently; a soft smile painted on his beautiful features.

Now I can see that Sulli’s infatuation at Luhan is worth it. He is really good at making girls feel special.


 

“Junghye-ssi, can I talk with you privately for a moment?”

The club meeting has just finished. I look up from my bag to see Luhan’s eyes looking at me expectantly; both of his hands are gripping the straps of his backpack. I’ve come across this kind of situation too many times that I have to restrain myself from jumping happily like a mad man. I try my best to repress a giddy grin that threatened to form on my lips.

I nod soundlessly and follow him to the most secluded part of the the school, which turns out to be the math section in the library, a couple meters from our club. Luhan drops his bag gently on the floor and rubs his palms against each other anxiously. It amuses me, that someone as popular as Luhan can be so nervous when he only needs to ask me—the best friend of everyone’s dream girl, Sulli—for a favor that I’d gladly aide.

“Well, you see, I need a help,” he starts steadily; his nervous eyes finally leaving the floor and meet with mine.

I knew it.

“I’m graduating soon, and there is this girl that I like,” he pauses and takes a deep breath before he continues. “The girl is really special. It’s love at the first sight and I’ve been in love with her for almost a year. Therefore, I want to make my confession really perfect and I need your help in it because you seem to understand her the most.”

A grin breaks on my face as I can’t possibly suppress my excitement any longer. There is only one girl that I know like the back of my hand, and her name is Sulli.

“Of course. What kind of help do you need, Sunbaenim?”

A look of disbelief graces Luhan’s face as he probably couldn’t believe how easy I agree to his request. Well, he doesn’t have any idea how bad I wish that something like this would happen either. I could already picture Sulli squealing in ecstasy when I told her this.

“I’m thinking about discussions, brainstorming about ideas, researching, and stuffs alike. It might takes a couple weeks though, as I really, really, want this to be perfect. This is probably my only chance to charm her, Junghye-ssi. Will you help me?”

I work my hardest to stifle a laugh because, to be honest, he already wins Sulli’s heart without the need of a picture perfect confession. However, Sulli deserves the best confession, so I just nod in agreement.

“Sure.”

Luhan’s eyes light up at my answer. “So…  What do you say if we meet up this Sunday afternoon to discuss more of this? I’m sorry I’ll need to borrow your weekends because Sunday is my only free day; I have study hall in the others.”

“Sounds good.”

“Great!” Luhan claps his hands and lets out a relieved breath. “Great,” he repeats to himself. “That wasn’t so hard,” he mutters as he picks up his bag from the floor and slings it back to his shoulder.

“I guess I’ll see you this Sunday, then?”

I nod and he raises a thumb at me. “Okay. Thank you, Junghye-ssi. Thank you so much. You have no idea how grateful I am. Thank you; thank you,” he bows repeatedly at me and I awkwardly bow back as he is actually my senior; the one that I should be respecting. He is already halfway out when he turns on his heel.

“Junghye-ssi?”

“Yes?”
“Do you mind keeping this just between us? I want this to be a surprise for her.”

“No problem.”

When Luhan is already out of my sight, I giggle at how jumpy he gets today. Even the school prince can’t keep his composure well when he talks about his crush. Boys are definitely cute when they are in love. I wonder, will there’ll be someone who would be as nervous when he talks about me?



TBC


an.

so. another chapter is out. I'm pretty glad with the response I'm getting for the story. Thank you for the 30 subbies, the comments, and the 2 votes. I hope I can keep your interest in the story. You can also check out my other stories involving Luhan:

Circle (completed)

This Luhan (on going)

Through the broken mask (oneshot-completed)

The perks of catching a cold (oneshot-completed)

with love,

himalayancat