Chapter 2

The Best Friend

"That Sehun is really... Ugh!" Sulli whines to me as we walks into the cafeteria. I nod, pitying my best friend who is constantly being verbally bullied by the guy with an enormous crush on her.  Apparently, Sehun has ticked her by continuously mocking her for the rest of the day. Being someone who watches from the sideline, I find his desperate attempt quite adorable, but the actual victim, Sulli, clearly doesn’t feel the same way.

"I mean, Junghye, how could he constantly annoy the hell out of me all the time? And it is even worse because I need to see him in the track team as well! Ugh!!" Sulli groans and blows her bangs furiously.

"And he keeps saying that I'm a 'midget', 'shorty'; for God sake, I am tall! He is just gigantic!" Sulli once again blows her bangs in frustration and I nod—out of agreement this time because if Sulli is considered short, then the rest of the girl population in the school, including me, will be seen as miniature dwarfs.

I pat her shoulder comfortingly in an effort to ease her boiling anger. As much as it is amusing to watch a riled-up Sulli—I can understand why Sehun is so keen at making Sulli becomes so worked up—I feel bad for her too. "Just ignore him, Ssul. Probably he just wants your attention."

"Oh Sehun doesn't deserve even a single glance from me!" Sulli hisses angrily in a lower voice since we have entered our destination, the cafeteria. The only place to eat in our entire school is packed by the students from all grades. The room is buzzing with chatters and laughter from the hundreds of girls and boys who have no choice but to forcefully swallow the meals prepared by our beloved—mind the italic utilization for the word—cafeteria ladies.

"He is really... Oh my God, Junghye!" Sulli's tone suddenly changes drastically. She tightens her grip on my arm and tugs on it so that I'll look at what she is seeing. Or rather, who.

"Junghye, Luhan-sunbaenim is here," she whispers before sighing dreamily. If this was an anime, Sulli's eyes would have changed shape into big, red hearts and a corny music would have been played in the background. Sulli has the biggest crush on this senior named Luhan. He is pretty much the reason why she has been rejecting guys right and left for the past 1 year.

I turn my head and my eyes fall to a handsome, blonde guy smiling pleasantly at everyone who greets him. Luhan is literally the idol of our school. He has the good look, the brain, as well as the popularity; and the fact that he is a foreigner but able to speak fluently in our language only boosts people’s interest in him. Girls adore him for his gentleness in features—fluffy hair; big, round, innocent eyes; and small, pouty, pinkish lips—as well as personality. Too bad, he stays single for a little bit too long that the envious guys start rumoring him as gay. His rather effeminate figure doesn’t help him in rebuffing the gossip either.

Sulli drags me nearing where Luhan is standing with his tray on his hands. She is courageous and bold; I guess that is one of her many traits that gravitates me toward her. "Luhan-sunbaenim!" she greets him cheerfully when we are near. I robotically copy her, since Luhan is also my senior in the math club. Luhan grins wider at us as a response. Or probably only at Sulli, since I have a really strong suspicion that he is also interested in my best friend, just like most of the males in our school.

"Sulli-ssi, hello. How are you today?" He asks genially at the beaming girl. "Junghye-ssi", he nods and smiles at me, acknowledging my existence as well as replying my greeting. I nod back respectfully.

"I'm great! How is your day, sunbaenim?"

"I'm having a good day as well. Do you want to join us in our table?"

Sulli may be brave enough to greet Luhan first, but her heart still can't take the challenge of actually sitting in the same space with Luhan and his closest friends. However, Sulli can't possibly reject the offer herself, so as the one who is almost telepathically able to understand her, I volunteer myself to turn down the offer.

"I'm sorry, sunbaenim, but… uh, we… we have already promised our friends that we'll sit with them," I pathetically stutter out a lie while pointing to two girls who are sitting in a round table near the corner. Well, it isn't really a lie; we didn't actually promise them, but it is already our habit to eat our lunch with Soojung and Sunyoung that it will be odd if we don’t.

A downcast look graces Luhan’s beautiful face—yes, I consider him to be a beauty—but he quickly regains his composure, putting on a smiling visage as he usually does. "Well, what a pity. There could always be next time, though. See you around, then, Sulli-ssi, Junghye-ssi," he bids us goodbye, waves, and walks away. As we watch his figure slowly becomes further from us, I can hear Sulli sighs beside me. Glancing at the girl next to me, I can recognize the longing in her eyes and the faint scarlet on her fair cheeks. She really has fallen hard for him.


 

"Thank you so much, Junghye," Sulli says gratefully at me when we have already finished queuing for the lunches and heads to our usual table. "I can't possibly... Oh, my God, Luhan-sunbaenim asks us to eat with him!" She excitedly adds when we sit at our table, perking the attention from our tablemates, Soojung and Sunyoung.

"Who asks who to eat with whom?" Sunyoung, whose skin gleams in a healthy tan, questions curiously. Her full figure occupies the space in front of me at the rectangular-shaped table, her small but impressive eyes stare at us inquisitively.

"Luhan-sunbaenim asked Sulli to eat with him and his friends," I correct Sulli's previous remark while eyeing Sulli teasingly, "I just happened to tag along."

The table instantly roars with whistles and ecstatic cheering since Sunyoung and Soojung are pretty much as loud as Sulli. Sometimes I question myself, how could I end up being good friends with such obnoxious girls like them. For some reasons I can’t comprehend, I have the tendency to be attracted with people who are totally different with me.

 "Then why are you still here, Ssul? Go get your prince charming!" Soojung, the thinnest amongst us, but with the most perfect wavy black hair teasingly pushes Sulli from her chair. The short haired girl blushes furiously up to her neck and for once, keeps her quietness.

"Oh my God, you're so hopeless, Ssul," Sunyoung comments while rolling her small eyes. "You should really promote her to Luhan-sunbaenim in your little math club, Junghye," she adds while nudging me on the ribs.

"Oh, I'll try harder in the future."

I wink at Sulli, making her face burns into a couple shades brighter than before. I cover my mouth as I laugh at her, along with the two other girls we share our space with. Whoever Sulli chooses to love, I swear I’ll support her.

I am her best friend, after all.



TBC


an: thank you for the comments and subs.^^ They're all so sweet. I'm not abandoning my other stories, don't worry, I'll be back at them soon. I'm looking forward to read how do you feel about this chapter.  A really short chapter, and a pretty bland one, I know, but now all the main characters are finally introduced. Please hang in there; I'll probably add more somewhere in this weekend. ^^

with love,

himalayancat