Chapter 40.

I.. Introduced the wrong girl?!

Sooyoung bent her head lowly a she fiddled with her fingers, not even touching the already-cooling cup of coffee in front of her.

So Dam took a sip from her mug and chuckled. “Are you okay? If you’re still thinking about what happened a while ago, don’t worry about it.”

Sooyoung pouted and bent her head lower. “I-I’m really sorry, unnie. W-what I did a while ago was rude a-and I really didn’t—“ Sooyoung sighed in embarrassment.

If the other members were here, she was sure that they would laugh their butts off at the sight of the evil shikshin stuttering in embarrassment in front of Jonghyun’s sister. Kim Jonghyun’s older sister.

So Dam waved her hand infront of Sooyoung (but the younger failed to see it as her head was still bent down), “Ani, it’s okay, really! I know you’re just protecting him. Don’t worry about it.”

Sooyoung lifted her head slightly. “But—“

A familiar song started to play in the background.

“Oh,” So Dam exclaimed, looking up and listening to the song absorbedly. She smiled after a few seconds and wrapped her fingers around the warm mug. “Jonghyun always sings this song.”

Sooyoung nodded slightly. “N-neh. He sang that once in a karaoke—“

So Dam’s eyes widened before she looked at Sooyoung and blinked twice. Sooyoung was shocked with the sudden reaction and fiddled with her fingers even more. “Jonghyun.. Were the both of you alone?”

“E-eh?” Sooyoung asked, obviously surprised. “W-we—“

“The both of you.. When he sang this song.. It was only the both of you in the karaoke room?”

“I-I—“

So Dam shook her head. “No, uhm.. How do I say this..” She pursed her lips and narrowed her eyes in deep thought before gasping and diverting her attention back to the confused woman in front of her. “Did he sing the song for you?”

Sooyoung was taken aback. “H-he.. I-I guess so? I mean.. Y-yes? He was facing me. I-I’m not sure. Sorry.” She bent her head down again, partly because she was apologizing and embarrassed, and partly because did Jonghyun really sing the song to her? For her?

“Huh,” Was the only thing that came out from So Dam’s mouth. Sooyoung looked up a few seconds later and found the older staring at her with a huge grin on her face.

“I-is there a problem, u-unnie?”

So Dam shook her head, her smile still plastered on her face. “No. In fact,” She fixed her things and stood up, surprising the younger. “Everything’s perfect.”

Sooyoung stood up, bewildered. So Dam took her hand and walked to the counter to pay for their drinks. 

“No,” Sooyoung stopped her and opened her bag to take out her wallet. “L-let me pay. At least as an apology for what happened—“

“Silly,” So Dam pinched Sooyoung’s sill-blushing-from-embarrassment-cheeks and pulled out a bill from her wallet before handing it to the guy who was staring at Sooyoung. “Keep the change,” She smiled at the clerk before turning to Sooyoung. “What’s the apology for, anyway?”

“A while ago—“

“Aish,” She shook her head and put her wallet inside her bag. “I told you already, it’s okay.”

“But—“

“Now come on,” She grabbed Sooyoung’s hand and pulled her out of the café. “I want to hear more about you.. Sister-in-law,” She happily exclaimed, whispering the last three words so that the confused idol wouldn’t hear it.


“Hyung.”

Jonghyun looked up from his iPad. “Huh?”

“Hyung how long are you planning on browsing Sooyoung noona’s fansites? You already have like, 412 pictures of her. Saved on your iPad. Only. I’m not even sure about your laptop.”

Your guess is right. That’s no other than the almighty Key talking.

Jonghyun hugged his iPad closer into his body and narrowed his eyes at Key. “How long have you been..”

“Watching you drool over Sooyoung noona’s pictures?” Key raised an eyebrow as he cut the older off. “Since you started doing it.”

“I was not drooling over her pictures!” Jonghyun defended.

Key waved his hand dismissively. “Whatever you say, hyung. Just.. Oh dear god I don’t even know how the owners of those sites would react when they find out you signed up for their website just so you could stalk Sooyoung noona.”

Jonghyun sighed and closed his iPad casing, not noticing Taemin who was trying so hard to hold in his laughter upon seeing his hyung’s lockscreen photo.

“Oh don’t worry, my dear Kibum. They definitely won’ t find out I signed up for their websites,” Jonghyun smiled.

Key rolled his eyes because what is this idiot hyung talking about again and sighed. “And why is that?”

“Because I used your name.”

“Oh,” Key lazily yawned before sitting up and glaring at Jonghyun upon realizing what the older had just said. “YOU WHAT?!”

“..and your serial number.”


Sooyoung lifelessly stared at door. It took her about three minutes before she punched in the code and pushed the door open. “I’m home,” She called out and removed her shoes.

Sooyoung smiled upon hearing a bark growing louder and louder.

“Roo~” Sooyoung crouched down and picked the fluffy creature up. “Annyeong!”

She carried the dog in her arms as made her way to her bedroom. “Oh,” Tiffany looked up from the dinner table. “You’re just in time. Let’s eat dinner.”

Sooyoung put the dog down and smiled. “No, it’s okay. I already ate.”

Taeyeon and Yoona almost choked on their food and Seohyun froze in place, her spoon a few inches away from her gaping mouth.

“I-I’m sorry?” Tiffany spoke in English. She shook her head and started to speak in Korean again. “Did you just say you already ate?”

Sooyoung nodded, clearly not understanding why the others were acting like this. “Yeah, I’m going to bed early. I’m tired.”

Yuri had to hit Taeyeon’s back loudly and Yoona almost gulped down the entire water pitcher.


Sooyoung plopped down the bed with a sigh. She still did not understand why Jonghyun’s older sister acted that way. She started telling off stories about Jonghyun’s childhood, how he always wanted to be a singer, what his favorite food were, places he has always wanted to visit—everything.

It was cute, really, Sooyoung thought. But why exactly did Song Dam unnie do that? It’s not like Sooyoung and Jonghyun were getting married or something.

(Althought Sooyoung loved the idea of marrying Jonghyun.)

“Aish!” Sooyoung kicked a pillow and looked to her left, seeing Roo staring at her with wide eyes while breathing like the dog she is. (Sooyoung liked to call it panting.) “How did your appa ask permission from the tenant to let you live with us?” Sooyoung asked.

“Did he flirt with the her?” Sooyoung pointed a finger at the dog with narrow eyes.

“Aigoo, I’m going crazy.” She rolled around her bed—careful not to hit Roo—kicking and flailing.

The ringing of her phone snapped her back to reality. She checked the caller I.D. and glanced at Roo. “It’s your appa.”

“Yeobosaeyo?”

“Yeobooooo!” Jonghyun’s voice boomed from across the phone’s speakers and Sooyoung choked on her own saliva.