Oceanic Abyss

Solace in Solitude

Sunsets are my favourite part of the day.

The rocks that oversee the ocean are painted orange by the rays of the sun. The once wild blue yonger was now illustrated by shades of purple, red and yellow. It was as though fire was dancing across the sky. You were able to hear the seagulls squaking as they flapped their wings and the gentle breeze of the ocean whisking about in the air. This is a serene moment indeed.
 
As much as I would have loved to enjoy the marvellous scenery a little longer, I did not wish to delay my true purpose of coming here. With lavenders held in my hands, I paced towards her tombstone. The old memories of that time we spent together flowed back into my mind. 
 
Once upon a time, I met a young lady by the name of Yoo Jiae. She had skin as white as snow and her lips that were of a pastel pink colour. Her silky hair that ended up in waves and a smile that could light up my whole world. She was like the light at the end of the tunnel while I was the darkness that was part of the tunnel. 
 
Jiae and I shared many good times together. We both shared the same passion for photography. Unlike most couples, we spent most of our time together by snapping photos of whatever was around us at that moment. I remember that she would chide (jokingly, of course) me for donning clothes that were usually of the same colour and no other colour other than black but she knew how much I adored black. She adored the colour purple as well (though not on an extreme scale like me). Our relationship was kept away from prying eyes of almost everyone around us. We both liked it and kept it this way from the start and the end. The only ones who really knew about it were my brother Moonsoo, her sister Miae and our best friends, Sungyeol and Soojung respectively.
 
Jiae had an affinity for that wide blue expanse they called the sea. There were times when we would meet at the seashore for their moments alone. I have a love-hate relationship with the sea though. Why?
 
It took away her life. 
 
The very thing she loved snatched her life away - just like that.
 
I soon found myself kneeling in front of her tombstone. Suppressing the tears that threatened to fall out of my sockets, I placed the lavenders atop of her grave. "My dear Jiae," I murmured, fingers grazing over the words engraved into the stone. "It's been a while, hasn't it? It's been three years since you've left. Sometimes, I wonder whether you miss me while you're up there."
 
I sat there for hours telling Jiae of how life was dealing with me and how I was dealing with life, failing to notice the footsteps from behind me.