Reunion with the Past

Solace in Solitude

The next thing the ravenette man knew, he found himself basking in the serene atmosphere of a café. A sweet aroma filled the air. Strawberry, perhaps?

"Here's your strawberries and crème frappucino, sir."

That would explain the scent of strawberries from just now. As Myungsoo took a sip, he glanced over at his acquaintance. Sungjong was in a state of contemplation. He drank his latte as if it was the very last day he wanted to savor it. Myungsoo placed his cap on the table surface.

"So," he began. "Shoot then." Sungjong turned to look at him. As he thought of how he wanted to start, he also took this chance to observe the young man in front of him. His eyes radiated absolutely nothing at all. Not even a flicker of warmth was seen in those eyes despite showing an overwhelming amount of it while at his cousin's grave. It was as though Jiae was the only person capable of drawing out such feelings from the man named Kim Myungsoo. How did someone like him ended up as Jiae's boyfriend? He isn't sure of the answer himself either.

Well, time to get on with business.

"So, I just wanna know... did my cousin tell you anything before she... you know," Sungjong asked, reluctance in his voice. Reluctance because it was not something he had wanted him to remember and not for the other party to remember. After all, why would they want to remember the bad times?

He had hoped for the other to answer his question but instead, he was met with a penetrating gaze full of hatred and was that a tint of sadness he saw?

"She did tell me something but I never got the chance to return it to her," Myungsoo replied with a shaky voice. Silence lingered amongst the tension for a couple of moments before it finally faded away when Myungsoo took the moment to calm himself before continuing. "After that day, I'm not sure what happened after her death. We moved to Japan the day after her body was found. My best friend contacted me quite often for at least half a year but, well, I'm sure he got caught up with school and I did too so we didn't keep in contact as much. There was occasional letters in the first year after moving to Japan but when it came to the second year, the letters just stopped coming altogether."

Sungjong took a few moments to take in what Myungsoo just said. Myungsoo seemed to be unaware of what had happened the day after her body was found. It seemed that almost everyone she was connected to had forgotten about her and the exceptions were Sungyeol, him, Soojung and this man, as far as he knew. The three of them referred to this strange phenomenon as "The Blinking" based on the fact that everyone's memories of Jiae were wiped out. Three years after her passing, nothing about The Blinking has changed.

"Myungsoo-sshi," Sungjong began, looking straight at Myungsoo. "Are you aware of the-"

It was then he noticed that the ravenette was not looking at him. It seemed as though he was looking through Sungjong but the brown-haired boy concluded that he was looking past him instead. He took that as a cue to turn around. Sungjong let a smile beam on face upon seeing who it was.

"Sungyeol hyung!"

All the ravenette could do was just simply stare at his best friend, bewildered. Not only had he changed in appearance, the way he carried himself was different. Instead of the loud and explosive kid Sungyeol he remembered, this man had an intimidating aura and was seemingly obnoxious.

"Looks like you're still as boring as ever, Kim Myungsoo. Forever decked in black. It's amazing how I'm still taller than you even after three years. Really now?"

Some things never change though, Myungsoo noted. One was Sungyeol's ability to make snarky remarks. Another was that Lee Sungyeol is a believer of himself. Controlling his irritation towards the said man, Myungsoo smirked and replied, "If we weren't best friends, I would have planted my fist on your face a long time ago."

A soft smile crept onto the maroon-haired man's face as he made his way towards where Myungsoo and Sungjong were seated. "Jiae would have punched you for being violent," Sungyeol pointed out, settling himself comfortably with the two of them.

"A cup of Americano please."

"And your love for Americano still remains..."

"Please," Sungyeol scoffed. "I have tried many different kinds of coffee. However, Americano still suits my taste the best. Anyways, I apologize for not contacting you as often as before. I assume you've gotten my occasional letters?" "Well, it was occasional for the first year I was in Japan," Myungsoo chuckled, stirring the spoon in a somewhat absentminded fashion. "Then I didn't hear anything from for the past two years. I figured you must have been busy-"

"Wait, you didn't get them at all? For the past two years?" Sungyeol questioned. "So you have no idea about what happened after you left?"

There was a change in Sungyeol's usual calm tone, Sungjong noted. He faked a cough to remind the two of them that he was still in their presence.

"Judging from what Myungsoo-sshi told me just now, he does not seem to know about it. Like he said, he told me that his best friend, which I'm pretty sure it's you, has not contacted him in the past two years," Sungjong said. "However, seeing how you just reacted, I've come to the conclusion that you were not aware that your letters have not gotten to him despite you attempting to keep in touch for the past two years?"

Sungyeol and Myungsoo inclined back into their seats, confusion written all over their faces. Sungjong could easily guess what was going on in their heads: why was it that Sungyeol's letters never made it to Myungsoo over the past two years? Was it lost in the mail or was it intentionally intercepted so that Myungsoo would never know what was written in those letters? There was no way mail could constantly go missing over a two years. Maybe sometimes, it would but not every single time it was sent out unless their mailing system was that poor.

What exactly had Sungyeol written in those letters?

He decided to find that out for himself. Time for an interrogation session but clearly, this was not the best place to be neither was it the right time to be questioning the two friends, seeing at how baffled they are.

"Well then, let's wait for Sungyeol's Americano to arrive," Sungjong chirped before delivering a punch to his hyung's arm. "Hyung! How come I knew NOTHING about this?! This involves my cousin, you dip."

"It's not my place to say anything, you idiot! Show some respect to your hy- OW! YAH! LEE SUNGJONG!"