Memoirs of the Past

Solace in Solitude

My name is Lee Sungjong.

I'm currently a first year student in college. Since it's nearing the end of the school term, I've been dumped with a lot of assignments to complete. Considering that it is nearing the end of my first year, I guess it is a valid enough reason for my school to throw all these assignments at its students. 
 
College life isn't easy, I would say. It's not easy to find friends - genuine friends. So far, the only friends in school I've got are Hoya and Dongwoo. Sunggyu, Woohyun and Sungyeol are studying in different colleges so it's hard to meet them.
 
Actually, there was another person whom was like a friend as well as a little sister. Her name? Yoo Jiae. She's my cousin. I wish that she was here with me now... but just thinking about what happened three years ago makes me not want to think about it anymore. It was still fresh in my mind as though it happened just yesterday.
 
Three years ago, something happened to her. Her corpse was found washed up on the seashore. I remember standing there, stunned and all I could do was just stare at her lifeless form. How did she end up like that, I wonder. Was it murder? Suicide? An accident? Those were the only possibilities I could conjure in my head.
 
During that moment, I recalled - there was a boy who looked about my age. A boy adorned with handsome features. However, his face was contorted with various kinds of emotions. I vaguely remember seeing shock, anger and sadness flicker across his face. Jiae didn't have many friends as far as I know. The only people that she had considered friends were my friends and her best friend. Hoya, Dongwoo, Sunggyu, Woohyun, Sungyeol, Soojung and there was me. I don't recognize this boy at all but based on his reaction, I could tell that Jiae was someone of utmost importance to him. 
 
Letting out a huge sigh, I decided that I deserved a breather from work. Speaking of Jiae, it's about time that I visited her anyways. Aware that the evening winds would be chilly, I slipped on a midnight blue sweater as well a pair of black ripped jeans combined with black converse kicks. Soon after, I headed out.
Fortunately, my cousin's burial place was located close to my apartment. Feeling the wind brush past me was exhilarating, especially since it's the ocean breeze. You can relish in the salty fragrance of it. Jiae loved the sea, I remembered.
 
Upon arriving at my destination, I noticed a figure clad in black on his knees at her grave. The figure was a man, judging from his build. seemed as though he's been there for a long time. As I drew closer, I found myself being able to pick up on the words that were flowing out of his lips.
 
"... If there's one thing I regret, it's not being able to sing a song for you - before you left. I still do cherish you dearly."
 
This man does not seem to acknowledge my presence. High probability that he is not aware of his surroundings at the very moment and therefore, does not realize that I am behind him. Analyzing his words, it has come to mind that this being in front of me is someone who was extremely close to Jiae, even closer than how Jiae and I were. Jiae and I had a brother-sister relationship and what was more than a brother-sister relationship...
 
"Are you Jiae's boyfriend?"
 
He flinched and spun his body around, visibly surprised that there was someone else here other than him. My eyes widened in surprise as well. Those handsome features were familiar, I've seen them before.
 
He was the boy I saw from three years ago.