Betrayal

Fix You

 

"Thanks for the help, Chanyeol." Baekhyun smiled at his tall friend as he stood at his doorstep. Max was sitting next to Chanyeol, wagging his tail and a stupid doggy grin on his face. Baekhyun had started growing fond of Max, even though the German Shepard would still jump on him from time to time without notice. 

 

Chanyeol nodded. "No problem. I should be thanking you for the math help." 

 

Baekhyun laughed nervously and rubbed the back of his head. "Ah it's nothing." He was really starting to like him, and if that was good or bad, Baekhyun didn't know. 

 

"I'll walk you home? It's dark outside." Chanyeol patted Max's head and pointed inside the house. He whined and Baekhyun's hand, giving him the puppy eyes. 

 

Baekhyun kneeled down and rubbed Max's head with a smile. "I'll come back soon, okay?" Max barked and pounced on Baekhyun, knocking him over. The dog Baekhyun's face twice before trotting back into the house. 

 

"Max likes you a lot," Chanyeol said, locking the house behind him. 

 

Baekhyun wiped his face and stood up, brushing himself off. "You don't say,” he replied. 

 

The pair walked down the dark street, shadows lurking every corner. Baekhyun blew into his hands, attempting to keep them warm. He didn't think to bring gloves, since it was quite sunny in the morning. 

 

"Shall I hold your hands to keep them warm?" Chanyeol asked. 

 

Baekhyun looked at Chanyeol, his face flushed red. "Uhh... E-excuse me?" 

 

Chanyeol smirked. "I'm kidding." 

 

Baekhyun turned away in embarrassment. He could feel his heart pounding in his chest, like those girls in a Korean drama. Stop being silly, he told himself. There's no point if he doesn't like you back. However, at the same time, Baekhyun wanted so badly for Chanyeol to feel any sort of affection for him. 

 

"So have you always been living by yourself?" Chanyeol asked suddenly. 

 

The shorter boy was taken aback by the sudden question. "Ah, since um..." Baekhyun took a moment to think. "When I entered high school I think?" 

 

"Your parents work overseas?"

 

"Yup, they both work in Canada. They visit from time to time though." The pair rounded the corner, and the street seemed to grow darker. Chanyeol stepped slightly closer to Baekhyun, unbeknownst to the latter. 

 

"I see," The taller boy said with a nod. 

 

Baekhyun looked up at him. His face was unreadable; there wasn't an inkling of emotion on his face. Baekhyun sighed inwardly. "What about you? Why do you live alone?" 

 

Chanyeol turned his head to look at his friend. He gave Baekhyun a blank stare, not saying a word. The shorter boy held the gaze for a while before turning away, face flushed. However, he could have sworn he saw a flash of pain strike his eyes. "I-I'm sorry, I didn't mean anything by asking that." 

 

"It's alright," he said. He cleared his throat quietly. "My parents died in a car accident when I was young. I lived with my grandparents until I was old enough to take care of myself." He turned to look at Baekhyun again, his stare returning to an emotionless but thoughtful state. 

 

The red haired boy blinked in surprise. He hadn't expected Chanyeol to open up so easily. Then again, Chanyeol told his story in such a monotone voice Baekhyun was unsure whether it was the truth or not. Was that flash of pain he saw earlier just his imagination? "I... I'm sorry to hear that." Baekhyun replied. 

 

Way to sound lame, Baekhyun. 

 

Chanyeol shrugged. "It's not a big deal. I barely knew them." 

 

Suddenly, two figures stepped out of the shadows, one with blonde hair and one with dark brown hair. "Well, well, well, look who we have here," the one with dark brown hair drawled. 

 

Chanyeol growled quietly, the sound rumbling in his chest. "Kai, Sehun," he greeted them grudgingly. 

 

Baekhyun stepped back, remembering the time he got beat up by the bullies for wanting to give his friend some notes. "Should I run?" He mumbled to himself. 

 

The taller boy shook his head ever so slightly, giving him a look of sudden despair. He turned back to the bullies with a nonchalant stare. "Well? What can I do for you?" He raised an eyebrow in challenge. 

 

Kai smirked and turned his head slightly. "I see you brought your new toy with you." 

 

Chanyeol tilted his head sideways. "And?" 

 

"Can Sehun and I play with him too?" Kai grinned, his eyes flashing with menace. "I mean, it isn't fair if you keep him all to yourself, right?" He advanced towards the two, Sehun following a few steps behind. 

 

Baekhyun watched the conversation between Chanyeol and Kai, a feeling a dread slowly creeping through his bones. "Chanyeol...?" He looked up at his friend. The black haired boy had his teeth and fists clenched, like he was having an internal struggle. He stared at Kai, his eyes filled with resentment. After a moment of thought, he grabbed Baekhyun's arm and him forward, so hard that the smaller boy fell on his knees. 

 

"Go ahead." His voice was cold and unfeeling. "Do whatever you want." 

 

Kai's grin grew wider and he laughed maniacally. He threw his foot forward and kicked Baekhyun in the stomach. "Come on, Sehun, join in!" 

 

Pain exploded through Baekhyun's body as fist and foot connected with his limbs. However, the pain in his heart was more excruciating than the physical side. Why did Chanyeol push me forward? Why doesn't he care that I'm getting beat up? Out of the corner of his eye he could see Chanyeol looking down at him, his eyes cold and stature absolute. 

 

Kai paused for a moment. "Hey Chanyeol, don't you want some too?" 

 

Chanyeol flinched. "No. I don't." 

 

The shorter boy growled. "Are you sure?" His eyes were challenging, as if he was saying, do you dare defy me? 

 

Chanyeol held the gaze with his fists clenched and shaking, before he finally stepped forward and kicked Baekhyun in the shins. 

 

That alone was more than enough proof that Chanyeol was not a real friend of Baekhyun, and that he was wrong to fall in love with him. Baekhyun could feel tears stinging in his eyes. I'm so stupid, he thought to himself. I can't believe I trusted him. 

 

In one last effort, Baekhyun pushed off his attackers and ran into the night, tears rushing down his face. 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

Chanyeol stood at his locker, watching as Kris wrapped his arm around Baekhyun, pulling him close. Tao was nowhere to be found, while Luhan laughed like nothing was wrong and Yixing tried his best not to look uncomfortable. There were cuts on Baekhyun's face, and he still looked like he was having a little bit of trouble standing. He hadn't come to school for two days after that night, and Chanyeol felt terrible for it. 

 

Joonmyun seemingly materialized out of thin air and punched Chanyeol in the arm in greeting. "I heard what happened," he said.

 

"Huh," Chanyeol replied. 

 

"It's not your fault." 

 

"Yes it is." 

 

Joonmyun sighed and punched him harder. Chanyeol glared in protest. "Yeah," Joonmyun agreed. "It was your fault." 

 

Chanyeol rolled his eyes. "What could I have done? This is Kai we are talking about here." He furrowed his eyebrows as he saw Kris gently touch the cuts of Baekhyun's face, asking if everything was alright. The shorter boy swatted Kris's hands away half-heartedly, like he was too drained to protest. Chanyeol noticed that Baekhyun looked uncomfortable standing with the F4; as if he didn't want to be there. 

 

Joonmyun put a hand on Chanyeol's shoulder. "If you found a treasure, would you take it or let it be?"

 

Chanyeol looked at his friend like he had just grown a second pair of arms. "What?" 

 

The shorter boy looked at Chanyeol with a serious expression. "If you found a treasure, would you take it or let it be?" he repeated. 

 

Chanyeol paused for a moment, processing his words. "Take it, I guess," he answered.

 

Joonmyun nodded. "If you find a treasure you should cherish and protect it. Don't let someone take it from you. I hope you understand what I am trying to tell you." The shorter boy gave Chanyeol one more light punch before walking down the hallway. 

 

Chanyeol watched Joonmyun walk away before turning his attention back to Baekhyun and Kris. Neither parties looked too happy, each seemingly sorrowful rather than joyous to be in a new relationship. The red-haired boy seemed to be leaning on Kris just because he needed someone to lean on, and didn't care who. Chanyeol could infer that something happened between Kris and Tao, judging from the latter's absence. Even the usually upbeat and optimistic Luhan was beginning to crack under the tension. Yixing kept tugging on Luhan's sleeve like he wanted to leave, his expression of that like he was holding a full bladder. 

 

Suddenly, Joonmyun's words became clear to Chanyeol. He understood what needed to be done, and he was right. It was all his fault, and he needed to make things right. 

 

If you find a treasure you should cherish and protect it.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Hello readers!! Sorry about the slow update again T_T I know I meant to update like a week ago but I was moving across the country and my flight got moved due to weather conditions and it was super hectic the entire time, so I haven't really had any down time haha ^^;

Anyways I figured since I have some time I'll finish and upload this chapter. I hope you enjoyeyd reading this chapter and I'll write the next one as soon as things settle down. Thanks so much for all the lovely comments and those of you who have been reading this from the beginning you guys are awesome <3

Until next time then! :)