Possessed

Fix You

The story of Baekhyun getting locked in the cold storage spread like wildfire. Students from all grades were speculating what could have happened, creating meaningless rumours that were far from the real story. Many of the students guessed that there was someone with a grudge against Baekhyun, probably someone who hated new students. Others said it was merely a fluke of the school's old infrastructure in that particular part of the building. Still others said it was the vengeful spirit that was believed to lurk the halls of the school, causing misfortune to those who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. 

 

There were no witnesses of the incident.
 

Because there had been no deaths, the teachers dismissed it as an accident. No action was taken, as usual. Nobody ever did anything around the school unless it was serious. However, people did become more aware of Baekhyun. He went from a nobody to a somebody. Students would look at him funny when they passed, and this really bothered him. 

 

"Its okay," Chen said, as he walked with Baekhyun to his next class. "In a few days, everyone will forget it ever happened." 
 

Baekhyun sighed and pushed his glasses higher on his nose. "I hope so. People think I'm possessed by bad energy or something." 
 

As if on cue, a younger student tapped Baekhyun on the shoulder and handed him a slip of rice paper with intricate chinese characters written on it. "My grandfather owns a shrine, and he says the bad spirits will stay away if you carry this around with you." The student bowed, and then ran off.
 

"See what I mean?" Baekhyun folded the paper up and stuffed it into his pocket. "This is getting out of hand. I am not possessed by spirits." 

 

"But I think I've been possessed by you."
 

Baekhyun stopped and groaned, knowing exactly who the voice belonged to. Chen snorted a laugh. They turned around to see Kris smiling down at them, with the other three abnormally gorgeous members of the school's F4. "Was that supposed to be a pick up line?" Baekhyun raised an eyebrow at the tall Chinese Canadian. 

 

"Don't encourage him," Luhan advised from behind. 

 

Kris laughed. "Would you have preferred something like 'Your eyes sparkle like the stars in the sky', or 'You shine brighter than the sun'?" He elbowed Baekhyun playfully. 
 

"There aren't any stars or sun in the sky right now," Baekhyun pointed out, giving Kris a funny look. It was true, the sky was grey and overcast.
 

Kris rubbed the back of his neck with sheepish laugh. "I'll say them again when there are stars and the sun then." 
 

Luhan groaned. "Kris stop trying." Lay laughed quietly behind them, while Tao had his head turned and was staring into space. 
 

Kris put his arm around Baekhyun and gazed at him in worry. "So are you okay? Is everything alright? Nothing hurts right?” His eyes narrowed in anger. “I swear when I find out who tried to hurt you...”

 

Baekhyun threw Kris off in frustration. “I’m fine!” He stormed off down the hall, Chen following after a quick apology to Kris.

 

Chen said goodbye to Baekhyun at the stairs to the second floor as Baekhyun headed up the stairs. He walked quickly with his head down, ignoring the stares of other students as best as he could.

 

Right at the bell, Baekhyun stumbled into Biology. As he was walking to his seat next to Chanyeol near the back, he slipped on a stuffed shark. Baekhyun fell flat on his face, causing the class to erupt in laughter. Someone even said, “He really is possessed!”

 

With a red face, Baekhyun made his way to his spot on the bench, throwing his backpack down and silently fumed.

 

“You alright?” Chanyeol turned and watched Baekhyun with a small smirk.

 

Baekhyun slammed his binder down. “I’m fine,” he said through his gritted teeth.

 

Chanyeol nodded and faced the front, silently copying down notes. After writing about half a page, he put his head down, and appeared to be sleeping.

 

Baekhyun frowned and looked at his own notes. He already had a full page, with colour coded pointers and pictures. Does this guy want to fail or something?

 

Suddenly, Mr. Kim glared in Chanyeol’s direction. “Park Chanyeol, what is the name of the region in which the respiratory system is located?”

 

Chanyeol slowly raised his head, blinking. “Thoracic cavity,” he said simply.

The teacher made a face, and threw another question at him. “And the function of the alveoli?”

 

“The exchange of gases, of course,” Chanyeol said, with a slight smirk.

 

The teacher huffed and turned back to the projector screen, continuing with the lesson. Chanyeol put his head back down on the lab bench, snoozing away. Baekhyun looked at him incredulously. How...

 

The long, boring lecture about the respiratory system was finally over. Half the class had turned to zombies, including the usually hardworking and alert Baekhyun. Baekhyun rubbed his eyes sleepily as the bell rang, and began packing his stuff.

 

“HEY!” The teacher yelled over the sound of students rushing to put their textbooks into their backpacks. “There will be a test on the respiratory system and the digestive system next class, so be prepared. 50 multiple choice questions.”

 

The students groaned and complained as they put their chairs up and rushed out of the classroom, eager to go home. Chanyeol finally woke up, and stuffed his binder into his bag. Baekhyun followed along behind him. He wanted to ask him something, but he hesitated. Should I ask...?

 

Chanyeol suddenly stopped, and Baekhyun almost crashed into him.  “S-Sorry...” Baekhyun mumbled in embarrassment.

 

“Do you want to come to my house and study?” Chanyeol said, turning around. He looked at Baekhyun expectantly. “I need help for tomorrow’s test.”

 

Baekhyun blinked in surprise. “Uh... sure,” he said. On the inside his heart was beating faster than he would have liked, but he decided to ignore the feeling and pretend it was just because of his fumble earlier.

 

“Besides,” Chanyeol said, smirking slightly. “You still owe me for saving you.” He continued walking down the hall, leaving a very pouty and flustered Baekhyun to chase after him.