Auditions & Hauntings

Elision and Assimilation

 

                The studio was bustling with students running through their lines or warming up their voices for the singing component. Hye Jin sat off to the side, twiddling her thumbs as she silently observed the men and women practicing. She sat unnoticed, wondering why she was even there in the first place. It wasn’t like they needed her for the auditions or anything. All they wanted her to do was coach the actors and actresses in speech and accents. And she only needed coach after the actors and actresses were chosen. Why was she at the audition?

                Not a clue. Where’s Director Kim when I need her? Hye Jin thought. She frowned as people rushed by without a glance. Her eyes flickered from one person to another, watching as they diligently practiced. She admired their commitment, their passion. They all knew what they wanted, and that was the leading roles. Why else would they be there? Nobody wanted second best, a minor character. To do well in the real world industry of movies and musicals, they had to start big in the smaller productions of the universities. These productions are the catalysts, the beginnings of what could be their future in show business. Scouts are bound to come to opening night in hopes of signing a hot, new talent. And they wanted to snag that chance.

                “Ms. Park! There you are! What in world are you doing here? We’re waiting for you in the theater. Come on!” Director Kim waved her over and took a hold of her arm. She dragged Hye Jin all the way to the darkened theater, tugging her towards the table where the panel of adjudicators sat. “Now, I know I called for you on such short notice, but I figured it be wise to have you here.”

                “What? Why?” Hye Jin stumbled in the dark, her eyes still not adjusted to the sudden change in light. She looked out to the illuminated stage and noticed a couple of props already set up, a piano catching her eye. Almost tripping again, she focused back on Director Kim.

                “Well, I thought it would be counterproductive of me to take on actors and actresses who can speak English, but end up failing at maintaining an accent. So, I need you here to test them. At some point, you’re going to have to go up on stage and do that,” Director Kim explained, giving a shrug like it was no big deal.

                Yet, it was. It was a huge deal. Hye Jin had never been on stage. Heck, she had never taught such a large group of people. Inside the studio, she had counted at least thirty heads, and that didn’t include the people in the lineup weaving outside, waiting for their turn to practice.

                “I-I-I,” Hye Jin stuttered. She couldn’t even think straight. Words wouldn’t form. She was having a total meltdown.

                “Is there a problem, dear? I know this is sudden, but I’ve heard so many good things about you and the wonders of your work. I was so excited when I got your reply. You’ll be okay, right?” She held a firm hand on Hye Jin’s shaking shoulder, looking her straight in the eyes. Her supportive words and steady hold seemed to calm the girl down and she stopped trembling. Her breathing evened out and her mind cleared.

                She knew what she had to do and she wasn’t going to let Director Kim down now. Not when she had so much faith in her. “Sorry, I just got scared for a minute there. I’m okay now,” she spoke, her voice clear and unwavering. Director Kim smiled at her and led her to her seat.

                “Good. I knew you’d be okay. Now, let’s get these auditions rolling, shall we?”

--

                For the first half of the audition, Hye Jin dozed off. They were being judged on their singing, since the production was a majority musical, so no accents were needed yet. She didn’t pay much attention and slept through most of the singers. But, from what she picked up randomly, a lot of them were really good. And, a lot of them spoke fluent English.

                Let’s see if you all can hold up an accent though, she thought.

                After the first round of cuts, they finally moved onto the acting portion. Now came the hard part for Hye Jin. She took off her jacket and followed Director Kim down to the stage along with the other judges. She hadn’t noticed before, but a young looking boy was with them. Huh, is it ‘Take Your Kid to Work’ day or something? He must be the Director’s son. Brushing it off, she scanned the faces of those who had made it so far and froze as she stopped at one face. Her heart dropped and she grew rigid.

                What is he doing here? Why is he here? When did he get here? She panicked, her eyes flickering to everything but his face. Her palms grew clammy and her heart began to race. She was going to malfunction again, but a nudge brought her out of it.

                “Hey, you’re up soon. She’s almost done talking,” the young looking boy informed her. And just as she was about to thank him, the Director came over and pulled her forward.

                “I’d like you all to meet Park Hye Jin. She is a student here at Seoul International and is a gifted Speech Therapist.”

                “Oh, no, I’m not a Speech Therapist. I’ve really only volunteered with children.”

                “And has worked wonders at that. Now, she will be the speech coach throughout the production and will work one on one with the leading actors and actresses to hone your skills and help you master the British accents. In a couple of minutes, you will hold an English conversation with her as best you could, and use a British accent while you’re at it. If you have an accent already, good for you; if not, I wish you luck. Take it away, Ms. Park.”

--

                The auditions were long over, yet the panel of judges was still huddled in the empty studio. Hye Jin rubbed her eyes, stifling a yawn with the back of her hand. They were at it for two hours now, deliberating, debating, comparing, and moving the possible candidates for all of the roles. So far, they had chosen everybody but the main character. With five men and one spot to fill, the arguments were heating up and harsh words were being thrown around.

                At this point, Hye Jin wasn’t needed anymore. The guys left, to her knowledge, all had decent accents. With a little bit of practice and advice during the rehearsals, they will be fine. Why am I still here? She ducked her head to cover up another yawn, looking up to find someone joining her.

                “They sure are getting angry, aren’t they?” the boy asked, a playful smile lighting up his face. Hye Jin nodded slowly at him, giving him a quick, analyzing glance. “Oh, right, my name is Luhan. We met earlier, but didn’t really get the chance to properly introduce ourselves,” he laughed, extending his hand for a shake.

                “Right, hi. I’m Park Hye Jin. Thanks for saving my earlier,” she mumbled. She lightly shook his hand, their fingers lingering before they pulled away.

                “No problem,” he laughed. “I was like that the first time I helped with the show. Director Kim is quite forward, so it’s no surprise she can scare people.” He chuckled to himself as he watched the others bickering still. Hye Jin turned to him with a raised brow.

                “You call your mom ‘Director Kim’?” she asked. Luhan looked at her with wide eyes, his mouth opening and closing like a fish out of water. Did I say something wrong? Speechless, he pointed at himself, then at the Director, then back at himself. Hye Jin nodded her head and pointed at the Director and him, linking the two to show familial relations. “Uh, am I missing something here?”

                He held up a fist to his mouth, covered the snort that escaped his lips. A huge grin broke out on his face and he burst into laughter. “Ha ha ha ha, oh my god. Really? You think she’s my mother? How old do you think I am? And what made you think that?” he asked, wiping away his tears. His sides started to cramp and he clutched onto them, suppressing his amusement with much difficulty.

                Hye Jin frowned. She was not impressed. Obviously, she didn’t know and genuinely thought he was the Director’s son. It was because he looked so young, she just assumed. “Hey! Don’t laugh. I totally thought you were.”

                “Why is that?”

                “Because you looked like a twelve year old boy, that’s why. I figured you came because she brought you with her or something,” Hye Jin huffed angrily, pouting with crossed arms and turning away from him. It was an honest mistake and she didn’t see why he had to laugh so hard about it. Although, it was suddenly grew quiet.

                Curious, she peeked over her shoulder to see him frowning now, staring at his shoes. What happened? He was smiling and laughing just a second ago, why did he stop now? Did I say something wrong again? What is it this time? Slowly, she turned back around and poked his arm.

                “Why so glum, chum?” she asked. He stayed silent, studying his shoes intently. His eyes were dark and his expression unreadable. It worried her, slightly. She had only just met him, so she wasn’t extremely curious, but she was worried with his sudden change in attitude. “Uh, Luhan-sshi…?”

                “Do I really look twelve to you?” he asked, turning square at her and looking straight into her eyes. She flinched at his dark, inquisitive look, but stood her ground. Truthfully, she nodded her head. He softened at her startled expression and let his shoulders slump. “Aw man, I thought a new hairstyle would help, but it’s not. Why must I be cursed so?” he wailed.

                “Uh, what do you mean cursed?”

                “Well, not literally. I hate my face. I hate that I look like a kid.”

                “Aren’t you, though?” Hye Jin asked. She didn’t see why he was complaining about having a young complexion. Others would kill to have his looks. She would too, since she looked older than her age.

                “I’m twenty-two thank you very much. I will be turning twenty-three next year.” It was her turn to gape like a fish. He was lying. He had to be lying.

                “You’re lying.”

                “Nope.”

                “Wow…”

                “Yup…”

                They sat in awkward silence, Hye Jin mentally scolding herself for her embarrassing actions and assumptions. She didn’t mean to offend him about the whole age thing. It seems like he has the whole boyish complex. Must knowing that people mistake your age by so many years on a regular basis. Aw great, now I feel like crap.

                “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to offend you. I honestly thought—I mean you look—Aish. How can I put this in a way that isn’t offensive…” she wondered, pouting. Luhan softened at her turmoil and reached out, resting his hand on her head.

                “You didn’t mean it that way. I know. And I’m sorry for over reacting.” He smiled at her, showing his forgiveness and silently asking for hers. She lightly nodded her head and smiled back. “Anyway, it seems like they’re going to stay for a while. We aren’t really needed here, so we can go.” He stood up and offered her a hand. She took it with a nod and pulled herself up.

                “What will the Director say? What if she wants to discuss after?” she asked, grabbing her things and slipping on her jacket.

                “Director Kim, Hye Jin-sshi and I will be leaving now since you don’t really need us.”

                “Yeah, okay, makes sense. See you both tomorrow.”

                Luhan chuckled at the group before heading to the door. He held it open and waited for Hye Jin to walk through before following after her. They trekked to the front of the school in silence, listening to their footsteps echoing through the hall. The last bits of sunlight reflected off the floors slowly moving along the tiles before disappearing with the sunset. An orange shadow filled the corridor as the sun dipped below the horizon, nodding farewell until dawn called upon it the next day.

                Hye Jin sighed, reflecting on the days’ events. From the sudden call to the chaos of auditions, to seeing him again. She shuddered at that thought and shook herself off, hoping to get rid of the image all together. But it stayed. Like always, he managed to invade her thoughts and rule her life.

                “Are you okay? You seem troubled.”

                “Oh, it’s nothing important. By the way, I never really asked what you’re in charge of for the production.” She looked at him questioningly, curious as to what his role was on the panel.

                “I’m not really in charge of anything. I’m just an Assistant Music Director.” Luhan shrugged. He didn’t see it as much of anything, but Hye Jin was impressed.

                “A Music Director, huh? You must have helped with the compositions then, right?” She playfully nudged his arm with her elbow. He grinned and nudged her back.

                “Assistant Director. And no, not with all of them. Although, I was given a few pieces to compose on my own that will count towards a class I’m taking.”

                “Impressive. Sounds like you’ve got a big role to play.” She really was intrigued. He was so calm even though he had such a big responsibility. His work was going to be put on display for hundreds of people to hear and he was happy about it. She was spooked on just the thought of coaching people with their voices, something which didn’t even belong to her.

                “It’s not the only role I have to play. I’m also an extra in the saloon scene as the piano player. That piece is one of my main focuses for composition.”

                “Oh, bragging now, are we? Well, I hope you find your muse and write the best piece of music ever written. Or else you’ll make Director Kim look bad,” she teased.

                “Hey! Don’t jinx me!” he laughed, reaching out to grab her arm. Laughing she jumped ahead, sticking out her tongue at him before jogging away. “Hey! Get back here!” he shouted, running after her.

                They reached the parking lot, laughing and joking the entire way. “Well, here’s my car. I’ll see you tomorrow,” she said, waving at him before unlocking her car.

                “See you tomorrow, Hye Jin-sshi!” he called out, walking a few spots down and unlocking his car.

                She smiled at him and turned to open her door, only to freeze and stare at a car parked directly across from hers. The driver sat inside, staring intently at her, a glint in his eye. He smirked at her, taunting her, her into a vortex of torment. Memories she had locked away, memories she thought she had buried deep into the depths of her brain’s archive came floating to the surface. They mocked her, poked her, and strangled her, pulling her into the crashing waves of dark emotions. She couldn’t break free from his gaze, from his mental grasp. Tears formed and dropped in shameful droplets, tossing her into another void of anguished emotions.

                A tug brought her back to reality. And warmth.

                “Hey, hey, you’re okay. Everything’s okay. Shh, it’s okay.”

                The voice soothed her, calmed her senses. It brought her back from the past, from the pain.

                “Whoa, hey, you’re okay. You are okay now, right?” he asked. A gurgle of a chuckled emanated from and they laughed it off. “I saved your twice today, so now you owe me.”

                “I’m sorry. Yeah, sure, anything you want,” Hye Jin replied, wiping her tear stained cheeks with the sleeve of her jacket. Luhan stopped her, taking out some tissue to wipe them for her.

                “How about a coffee before the meeting tomorrow.”

                “That’s it? Sure. I’ll see you then.”

                “Are you good to drive? No more tears?” he asked, checking her face for any moisture. She laughed and pushed his hands away.

                “I’m fine,” she replied, giving him two thumbs up.

                “Okay then…See you tomorrow?”

                “Yeah, see you tomorrow.” She waved as he headed back to his car. “Luhan-sshi?”

                “Yeah?”

                “Thanks for not asking.”

                “No problem. You’ll tell me whenever you’re ready,” he grinned. He entered his car before she could make a comeback and drove off.

                She laughed, turning back to her car and opening her door. She couldn’t help but glance at the same car in front of hers and was confused to find it empty. I swear he was in there. He was, wasn’t he? Am I seeing things? She frowned and shook her head, clambering into her car before something else decided to pop up and haunt her. She drove away and didn’t look back. She didn’t want to risk another break down. Even if I was imagining that, I know I saw him at auditions, which means he’s here at Seoul International. Please, Lord, keep him away from me. Maybe accepting the offer wasn’t such a good idea, was it? Or maybe this was meant to be? I don’t know anymore…

--

                Kris waited for the cars to leave before he sat back up. After hearing two cars drive off, he knew the coast was clear. Straightening out, he adjusted his seatbelt and his engine. Only one thing was on his mind.

                Park Hye Jin, we meet again.


 

And Chapter 2 is up! Looks like some drama has come knocking on Hye Jin's door already. Let's see what happens next~

Here are some character break downs. I think there were two and a half new characters introduced in this chapter hahaha

Director Kim

- Head of the Theater Department
- Eccentric, bold, witty
- Is more aware than she makes herself to be

Luhan (partial intro)

- 22 years old
- Assistant Music Director for the play/extra
- Has a boyish-look complex
- Observant

I'm going to leave it at that. I'll add more to Luhan in the next chapter, and do a full intro of Kris' character as well. He'll be making his grand entrance in chapter 3, I believe.

So yeah, thanks for reading!

See you in the next Chapter!

-greenninjapanda GNP-