Chapter Two

Through Thick and Thin [Hiatus]

 

 

             

Author's Note: Hi! Here is chapter two!!! Please vote in the poll and I hope you enjoy! This one was long!


 

Chapter Two

      “Jiho come today? I didn’t see him earlier.”

                “Of course it would be a Jiho Oppa, what else would he ask about? Pabo Moon Jiyoon,” she thought to herself bitterly.

                “Yeah, we were all running a bit late this morning. Why didn’t you just text him?”

                “Aigoo, it’s like Zico and Oppa are really together,” IU teased.

                “Don’t say stupid stuff!”

                The three girls smirked at each other.

                “Jiyoonie did you see our Kyungie in class today?” Jaemin said trying to imitate Zico, “What was he doing? Did he miss me?”

                The girls giggled.

                “Yah! Moon Jiyoon! Is Jiho here today?” IU did the same, imitating Kyung, “I haven’t seen him all morning!”

                “Ani Oppa, otokaji? He must be cheating on you with Yookwon Oppa!” Jiyoon joined in.

                Her comment reduced her and her friends to complete laughter. Kyung’s reaction made it worse.

                “Aish! These girls!” he said as he went back to his seat.

                Not long after the teacher came in and as usual the lessons dragged on until lunch. Jiyoon, IU and Jaemin headed out of their classroom to meet up with the rest of their friends.

                “JIYOONIE!” her other best friend Soyoon yelled as she hugged the daylights out of the poor girl.

                “Where were you this morning?” Ailee asked.

                “We were running late and I wanted coffee,” Jiyoon replied.

                They all giggled and made their way to the cafeteria talking about this and that. As always lunch went by fast.

                “Urgh- I don’t want to deal with another three more hours of this!” Soyoon complained while on her lollipop.

                “We’re still meeting up later today right?” Minah asked.

                “Yup,” Jaemin responded “I’ll be there right after drama practice.”

                “Same here! As soon as I finish helping HyunA out I be there,” Jiyoon answered.

                “I’ll be there as soon as my shift at the bakery ends,” Soyoon piped up.

                “Why do you even bother working? It’s not like you need the money,” Ailee said.

                “I know, but I love working there! Besides it is fun baking all day and being around all those good smelling sweets!” Soyoon chirped.

                They laughed and headed off to their classes, but Jiyoon made a quick detour first to go see Yongguk.

                “Oppa!” Jiyoon called out.

                “Eh. Oh Jiyoonie, what is it?” Yongguk asked.

                Jiyoon felt the stares (more like glares) of other juniors, particularly girls but she shrugged it off, “Oppa, tomorrow, can you please help me come up with ideas for a rap? I know you’re busy tonight so I wouldn’t have seen you anyways, so can you please help me tomorrow?”

                “Aish, you know you don’t need to use your aegyo with me! Bleh, when did you learn this?”

                Jiyoon grinned sheepishly, “I must be hanging out with Soyoon too much.”

                Yongguk just shook his head, “Yeah, of course. Why do you need a new rap?”

                “OPPAAAAA!” Jiyoon gasped horrified, “I can’t believe you don’t remember, my group is going to debut, and so we’re working to get everything figured out!”

                Yongguk let out a deep chuckle, “Ara, ara. I’ll help ya later. I don’t think I’ve got much to do tomorrow anyways.”

                “Asa! Thanks Oppa!” she said giving him a hug before running off to her class.

                She wished she came later as she was greeted with Kyung deeply engaged in a conversation with Park Subin of class 1-C.

                Jiyoon smirked, “OH ANDWEI! OPPA I CANT BELIEVE YOU’RE CHEATING ON MY BROTHER!” she yelled breaking out to a grin as the two quickly separated.

                “Y-yah! YAH! MOON JIYOON! DON’T SAY THAT!”

                “So you’re not cheating on my brother?”

                “What? Ye- I mean, NO!” Kyung said turning red, “I MEAN- your brother is just my friend! Chingu! Arachi?” 

                Jiyoon laughed, “Oppa, I’m just pulling your leg- sheesh. Don’t get so worked up. Hahaha- you’re funny Oppa. If you two keep having reactions like that- people might start thinking that something really is going on and you’re hiding things from us.”

                “Jiyoonie, it’s not that funny. You should act more mature,” Subin said scowling.

                “I find it quite amusing,” Soyoon said as she came back from the restroom heading to her class in 1-B with Ailee who was going to 1-C.

                “Ah, that joke never gets old,” Ailee added on.

                Subin’s scowl deepened, “I’ll see you later Oppa,” she said heading to her class.

                “Yup! Afterschool then!” he said heading into Jiyoon’s class.

                Jiyoon’s grin disappeared. Soyoon gave her hug before heading off to her own class and Ailee mouthed a fighting before she went her way. Jiyoon couldn’t wait for the day to be over.

                As the final bell rang she said “goodbye” to IU and a “see you at the café later” to Jaemin and headed off to the library quickly.

                There wasn’t much to do since it was only a Monday and only the third week of school; she quickly finished her math worksheet and her English and Japanese language assignments.

                She headed off to class 4-M where the student council held their meetings so she could help HyunA with homecoming decorations.

                “Oh, Jiyoonie you here. Sunbae-nim! Jiyoon is here.”

                “Jiyoonie? Omona! It’s been awhile! Wow, you’re already in high school? I must be getting old!”

                “Annyeong Nicole Eonnie! I didn’t know that you were in the student council!” Jiyoon said hugging one of her favorite Eonnies.

                Nicole laughed, “Hara wanted to do it, so here I am. You should join too! Yah, why don’t you be the freshman senate member?”

                “YAH! You three should stop standing around and we should plan! Omo it’s Jiyoon!” Jiyoon was soon in a tight hug.

                “Eonnie! I can’t breathe!”

                “Mian,” Hara said sheepishly.

                Nicole handed HyunA and Jiyoon the instructions for the freshman decorations. HyunA was the secretary for the freshman class and had roped Jiyoon into helping her, Jiyoon didn’t mind. Jiyoon enjoyed decorating the halls with HyunA. She and HyunA have been close since they were little and even though they weren’t able to hang out much during middle school they stayed in touch the best they could.

                It was natural for them to know when the other was bothered, so Jiyoon wasn’t so surprised when HyunA asked, “Troubling Monday?”

                Jiyoon just nodded not wanting to really talk about it much.

                “Let me guess, boy troubles, specifically Kyu-

                “ANI!” Jiyoon vehemently denied.

                “Bingo! So it’s still him?”

                Jiyoon sighed, “I don’t know. It’s like he never really wants to talk to me, it’s always like ‘Oh Jiyoon? How are you and Jiho?’ or ‘Jiyoon have seen our Jiho?’ or ‘Jiyoon, Jiho asked me to tell you that…’” Jiyoon gave out another loud sigh.

                “It’s like I will forever be in his mind just someone related to his best friend,” she finished.

                “Head up girl! What happened to the sassy Jiyoon I knew?”

                “She kinda disappeared when her three older brothers started to meddle in her life like old ahjummas,” Jiyoon huffed.

                “NUH UH! I JUST SAW HER A SECOND AGO!” HyunA said grinning, “Yoonie-ah, you never let your brothers stop you from doing anything reckless before, why stop now? NOT THAT I’M BEING A BAD INFLUENCE THOUGH! I mean you used to do so much more, now you’re like and aegyo-loving, cutesy girl…It’s just so un-you!”HyunA said shuddering, “And don’t use Soyoon as an excuse! You hung out with her before too and you weren’t like that!”

                Jiyoon stared at HyunA, mouth wide open. How did she know she was going to say that she was hanging around Soyoon too much?

                “No I’m not psychic,” HyunA said giggling, “I just know you like the back of my hand. So can I take more guesses as to why?”

                “It’s not like me saying no is going to stop you,” Jiyoon said giving HyunA a mehrong.

                “You’re right it’s not," HyunA paused for a second, "Kyung. You thought that Kyung didn’t notice you because you were too much like one of the guys or because he would find cutesy, frilly dressed, aegyo monsters more attractive- no offense to Soyoon…right?”

                Jiyoon looked down, “Maybe you should be a psychiatrist. And Soyoon doesn’t wear frilly stuff!”

                “No but she does have a lot of aegyo!”

                “Yeah but she only uses it to get what she wants, she is a conniving little girl with an innocent face- that’s why she is my best friend,” Jiyoon grinned.

                “True that. The amount of trouble her aegyo got you out of is unbelievable! But Jiyoonie you shouldn’t change who you are for someone, that someone should love you for who you are.”

                “I know,” Jiyoon murmured.

                “Why haven’t you dated anyone?” HyunA asked.

                “I did! Last year in middle school I dated Hyunseong!” Jiyoon said.

                “How long did you last? A month?”

                “It’s not my fault that Yongguk Oppa scared him off,” Jiyoon said frowning.

                “AISH! YOUR BROTHERS! Would you be willing to date? I mean even though you like Kyung?”

                “Yeah, I mean that’s why I dated Hyunseong. He was nice and I had fun with him. But about three weeks into the relationship I realized that I really only thought of him as like a friend and I just enjoyed his company, so I decided to try to like him more than that but a week later Yongguk Oppa happened.”

                “Why did he scare him off anyways?”

                “Because he saw Hyunseong dropping me off home…and hemighthavesawHyunseongkissme!”

                “MWO?” HyunA said actually understanding that Yongguk saw Hyunseong kiss Jiyoon.

                “It was an innocent kiss! It’s not like we were eating each other’s faces off! Hyunseong is a gentleman! But then Yongguk Oppa started raving about he was going to quote skin alive the little demon who dared taint his innocent Jiyoonie by stealing her first kiss unquote.”

                “Sheesh, talk about over-reaction,” HyunA commented.

                “Yeah! And you know it would have been a great first kiss story too ‘cause we came back froma really nice date and everything was perfect…until Oppa showed up!”

                “Yeah well at least you have an interesting first kiss story. Besides you shouldn’t date a guy who is so afraid of your brothers! Scaredy –cats don’t make good boyfriends,” HyunA said a-matter-of-factly.

                Jiyoon snorted, “Please, if I was him I would be scared too.”

                “So you are open to dating?”

                “Yeah, I mean it’s not like I can stay single my entire life waiting for him to notice me, and it’s too awkward for me to ask out my brother’s band mate,” Jiyoon stated.

                “Good! With that being said, drop the entire cutesy stuff! You used to only do it when Kyung was around- yes I noticed- but now you sometimes do it with everyone else too without meaning to. Remember you shouldn’t change for someone, that someone-”

                “Yeah, yeah, I know.”

                “Unless of course it’s like some big major character flaw or something like that, then it’s okay!” HyunA said giggling with Jiyoon, “GREAT! ALL DONE! YEAH!” she yelled excitedly as she and Jiyoon took a step back admiring their decorations through the freshman hall.

                “We did well,” Jiyoon said smiling pleased with her work, “So tomorrow again?”

                “Yup! We have to work on the freshman wall this time,” HyunA replied.

                “Okay. I’ll leave first then, I have to go home and change before I meet up with the girls and then the Oppadeuls. Are you sure you don’t want to come?”

                “Nah, I still have a lot of stuff to do for the council and my homework and the rest of 4minute and I are going to practice too. Maybe next time. I haven’t seen Heecheol and Taeheon Oppas in forever. They should have gone here instead of Tae River. Say hi to them for me, and Dongwoo Oppa too. Hara is already giving Junhyung my love,” HyunA said as Jiyoon chuckled.

                “Later HyunA!”

                “Seeya Yoonie!” HyunA called out to Jiyoon’s retreating back. 

                Jiyoon quickly made her way home, showered and changed slipping into a tan tee and shorts putting on accessories that compliment them. 

 

Locking the door, she headed towards the café when she got text from Minah saying that they were going to meet up at Lim’s Ice-cream Shop instead. That was three bustops from her place so she headed toward the bus stop arriving just as it did. She sat in an empty seat next to the window near the back and three other boys got on. They looked vaguely familiar but they didn’t go to Seo Lake. She probably saw them around at the various places where most of the students would hang out.

They were all average height, the first one was really skinny, the middle one looked foreign, Japanese from the looks of it, and the last one had the body of a dancer. She could tell, it was very much like her Seungri Oppa’s, Minhyuk Oppa’s or Jongup’s. The only two seats empty were the ones two rows in front of her, they played Kai Baie Bo and the dancer lost. Meaning he would either stand or sit next to her. Of course he opted to taking the seat next to her, and his two friends realized that it was better to have lost. Jiyoon rolled her eyes.

                “Annyeong,” the dancer said with a cheeky grin followed by a wink.

                Jiyoon fought the urge to smack the guy, “Deh, Annyeonghaseyo,” she replied trying to be formal.

                The guy kept trying to grab her attention either by shaking his head “getting the hair out of his eyes” or the smirks that he would give when “childish friends did something stupid.”

                Jiyoon just sighed and stared out the window, she was already used to this type of stuff. This left the guy bewildered. He usually had girls at “Annyeong.” He checked her for couple rings or any hints of the fact that she was dating but she wasn’t. She was busy on her phone texting someone named Soyoon- not that he looked on purpose, it was on accident. Apparently, two other girls changed the place they were going to meet up.

                The bus came to a halt, “Two more stops, come on Jiyoon just ignore the guy trying to hit on you…”

                To Jiyoon’s relief he did stop. He realized by now that it was no use and that Jiyoon’s future career choice was to be a nun- or a librarian. Two more boys got on. They gave a slight nod to the two boys in front of you and to the dancer.

                “Do they go to the same school? No otherwise they would be talking with each other more, or they could be in different grades…”

                The first boy was also of average height, but he had a rather attractive face. The second on was tall and had a handsome face too. She couldn’t place where she saw that face before.  The two boys stayed standing as the offered the two newly vacant seats to an elderly couple. The stood near her and the dancer, the shorter one had his phone out, texting.

                The tall one just looked out the window and took in his surroundings. He turned his attention to his friend who showed him something on his phone. He gave a small chuckle and grinned.

                His eyes raked through the passengers, until he stopped at Jiyoon and locked his gaze with her and gave her a small smile. The dancer next to Jiyoon smirked mentally knowing that she was most likely to just roll her eyes and look away.

                If it hadn’t been for the dancer’s self-control then his mouth would have dropped to the floor when Jiyoon’s mouth curved up slightly, into a half smirk.

                “At least it’s not a smile…” he thought to himself, his pride hurt. Who was this girl sitting next to him? She was probably around his age. Did she go to his school?

                Jiyoon still couldn’t help but look at the tall guy. She was sure she saw him somewhere earlier today but not sure where. The bus jerked a little, as it reached a light causing the tall guy’s friend to lose his balance, the tall guy helped him out, the shorter one sporting a giant blush from the embarrassment of having all the passengers look at him, no one else lost their balance.

                “That’s why you shouldn’t text all the time!” the tall guy quietly said to his friend.

                His voice was deep, Jiyoon noted.

                “Aish- Shikuro!” the friend muttered back.

                The tall guy chuckled, the dancer next to her held back a smirk as well, and Jiyoon’s mouth curved upward slightly again.

                The tall guy caught her gaze again and gave her a wink.

                The dancer was positive that Jiyoon was going to have no reaction this time, but this time his mouth did drop to the floor (but he did recover quickly) as a faint (but still visible) blush appeared on her face and she quickly turned away. The tall guy smirked, amused.

                Jiyoon finally realized that this was the same guy who winked at her in the café this morning! That’s why he looked so familiar! She couldn’t believe that she was even considering trying to get to know someone from Ji effing Park!

                The bus came to a halt again. The dancer next to her got up, this was his stop. He gave her a smile before moving forward. He gave a quick playful punch to his foreign looking friend in the rows in front before leaving with the skinny friend.

                “One more stop,” Jiyoon reminded herself. The tall guy from Ji Park plopped himself down next to her. The short guy went to go sit next to the foreign looking guy.

                “Annyeong!” The tall guy said winking at her again with a big grin.

                Yup, he definitely had a deep voice.

                “Annyeonghaseyo,” Jiyoon replied not missing a beat.

                “No need to be so formal, we’re friends of the same age right? Then again I’m probably older, so you can call me Oppa,” he said still grinning.

                “No thanks, I don’t know you,” she replied curtly.

                “Wow. You must be known as an ice princess or something back at your school,” he stated, still with a stupid smile on his face.

                Jiyoon scoffed and didn’t reply. She wondered if he knew that she was the girl he winked at, the girl that went Seo Lake. Then, again, he seemed to be a big flirt, so he probably winked at girls left and right. So he probably didn’t recognize her.

                “You’re a quiet one,” he stated.

                “Just around strangers,” she snapped back.

                “Just kidding, you’re the hot-headed, quick-to-act type,” he said.

                Jiyoon wanted to do nothing more than to wipe that stupid smile of his face, but instead she chuckled.

                “Wa, you can laugh?” Jiyoon gave the guy a look, “OK. Haha I’m kidding, only pulling your leg here a little.”

                Jiyoon’s mouth curved up again as she rolled her eyes and shook her head trying to bite back her laughter.

                “You’re a strange one,” the guy said.

                Jiyoon snorted, “Says the person who has a normal conversation with a person they don’t know and tells them to call him Oppa."

                “Pssh…That’s how you get to know people Quinnge, you talk to them and have conversations with them,” he said.

                “Quinnge?” (pronounced Koo- Win- ge, ge as in like in hinge)

                “Yeah, quick-to-act and strange all in one, Quinnge,”

                Jiyoon blanked, “Okay.”

                “See this is how people become closer, they give each other nicknames and talk,”

                 “No one is that blunt,” Jiyoon said.

                “Oh…Mian…I’m a very blunt person. All these formality things just don’t do well with me,” he said.

                Jiyoon gave another small chuckle as the bus came to a halt and she got up.

                “Oh I guess it’s your stop, I’ll see you around Quinnge!”

                Jiyoon let a genuine smile escape, “Whatever,” she said laughing.

                Even though he was from Ji Park he wasn’t that bad. She wouldn’t mind befriending him if the opportunity came again. She got off the bus and walked towards Lim’s and arrived in no time.

                “About time you showed up,” greeted Minah.

 

 


 

Author's note: See! told you it was long! So yeah, I know I haven't told you who the guy from the cafe was yet, do you have any guesses? But hey I bet you all forgot about the guy who winked at her in the cafe because of the person who let her have the caramel mocha instead. You didn't see that coming, did you? And what have I done? Introduced another mysterious guy! So you have three main mystery people, and their friends. Have any of you figured out some of my allusions from the foreward yet? What about who Jiyoon's parents (dad) might be? Remember to vote in the poll! Next chapeter they will be talking about their group name.