Chapter 4

Concrete Angel

 

A/N: This chapter has been idle in my files for about a month now...I think. I didn't get to post this soon because I felt like it was short. But I couldn't think of anything to add to it for the past month. I guess it's because of my writer's block :( So I decided to just post this as it is. A short update is better than nothing at all, right?

 

So anyways, as a lot of you have guessed (and I guess that was pretty obvious when I wrote it) that the letter Y on Yuri's pendant stands for Yoona :D But how does she know Yoona? I won't be telling yet! :P You'll find out sometime :) I really planned a YoonYul side story for this fanfic. I'm just trying to figure out where in the story I should fit them. So don't be surprised if I bring them up in some chapters :)

 

 

 

Chapter 4

 
 

Jessica stared in deep thought at the pink flowers on the bedside table that Krystal had brought for her the other day. The way the petals curved in a crescent shape reminded Jessica of a certain girl whose eyes curved the same way whenever she smiled.

 
 

I wonder how Tiffany's doing. It's been a week since I last saw her. Is she alright? Does her father still hurt her? How is she now that I'm unbounded to her? Should I visit her now that I'm human? But she doesn't know who I am. I just might scare her if we meet...

 
 

"What's on your mind right now, Ms. Jung?"

 
 

"Huh?" Jessica asked in a daze as she looked up at Dr. Kim.

 
 

"You look like you were in deep thought. What were you thinking about?"

 
 

"Oh...just some things."

 
 

"May I ask what they are?" Dr. Kim asked, taking note on his clipboard as he stood by the edge of Jessica's bed.

 
 

Jessica was sitting upright and played with the end of the blanket that covered her feet up to her lap.

 
 

"Erm...I'm trying to remember my memories."

 
 

"Don't force yourself, Ms. Jung. You might cause yourself a headache if you do. Time will come and you will naturally regain your memories again if we continue your medication."

 
 

Jessica nodded, although she knew that the hospital's medication wouldn't make Sooyeon's memories appear in her brain or have any effect on her.

 
 

"How are your bruises? Getting any better?" Dr. Kim asked and continued writing.

 
 

Jessica shrugged and rubbed both her arms where the bruises once were. "Yes. They're gone now."

 
 

"That's good. Your bruises have taken a reasonably short amount of time to heal completely."

 
 

"The healing treatment you've given me must be really effective then." Jessica commentend. Sure the treatment did help, but it was mostly Jessica's healing powers that did the work and quickened the healing process.

 
 

"Dr. Kim?"

 
 

"Yes?"

 
 

"When am I allowed to leave the hospital?"

 
 

Dr. Kim looked up from his clipboard and raised an eyebrow.

 
 

"I beg your pardon?"

 
 

"When am I allowed to leave the hospital?" Jessica repeated.

 
 

Dr. Kim sighed and shook his head at Jessica. "I'm sorry, Ms. Jung. But in your current state, you can't leave the hospital just yet. You need therapy and we need to observe your progress."

 
 

"But Krystal is always having a hard time visiting me here. She comes here before and after she goes to school. Then when she returns home she has no one to be with." Jessica frowned worriedly.

 
 

"You seem to care very much about your little sister." Dr. Kim noticed and smiled in admiration.

 
 

"Of course. She's the only family I have left."

 
 

Although that wasn't technically true, Jessica had come to love Krystal like a true sister over the past week, touched by how much sisterly love and care Krystal shows her every day.

 
 

"Ah so you can remember her now?" Dr. Kim asked hopefully.

 
 

"Well...no. Not really. But I believe what Krystal tells me. I trust my little sister." Jessica replied confidently and truthfully.

 
 

Dr. Kim nodded and placed down his clipboard. "That's good then. That's a sign that your memory is improving."

 
 

"Must be." Jessica replied. "So if my memory is improving couldn't I be discharged from the hospital sooner?"

 
 

Dr. Kim shook his head again. "I'm sorry Ms. Jung but you can't. It would be best for you to stay here in the hospital. It would be harder for your condition if you go home because I wouldn't be able to monitor you."

 
 

"Okay then." Jessica replied quietly, disappointed.

 
 

Dr. Kim felt sad upon seeing Jessica's frown.

 
 

If only Michael and Julia were alive right now then their children wouldn't feel lonely like this.

 
 

Then a thought suddenly hit him.

 
 

"Although, I may have an alternate solution for you Ms. Jung."

 
 

Jessica's eyes lit up as she looked back at Dr. Kim. "Really?"

 
 

"Yes." Dr. Kim nodded his head. "You and Krystal could stay at my home. Our house is just near this hosptial, you know. That way, we could continue your medication and monitor your condition. We have extra rooms and things so it won't be a problem if you move in with us for a while."

 
 

"B-but that's t-too much to ask for, Dr. Kim. We don't want to be a bother to you."

 
 

"You wouldn't be a bother, Ms. Jung. Think of it as a favor I want to do for your parents."

 
 

"My parents?" Jessica asked curiously.

 
 

"Yes. Although you don't remember but your parents were my good friends."

 
 

"How come Krystal never told me about you being friends with our parents?"

 
 

"She doesn't remember either, considering she was just a baby at that time. When your family left for San Francisco again, we became really busy and it was hard for us to keep in touch. I never knew that your family came back after a few years. I only found out after the accident they were involved it. I was the one who tried to save them at the hospital before they passed away."

 
 

"Oh."

 
 

"There's nothing to worry about, Jessica. My wife loves children. I'm sure she'll be ecstatic about this. I also have a daughter same as your age. You used to play with her whenever you and your family used to visit us. I'm sure you'll get along well with her."

 
 

"But..."

 
 

"No more buts, Jessica. That would be final." Dr. Kim said sternly. "Besides, you don't just need medicine or money so that you'll get better. You also need a family." he smiled sweetly.

 
 

Jessica smiled back gratefully and bowed her head respectfully. "Thank you, Dr. Kim. You don't know how much this means to me and my sister."

 
 

Dr. Kim laughed heartily. "You are most welcome, Jessica. Anything for my good friends and their children. But please, you can just call me Uncle from now on. You've been like a daughter me, you know."

 
 

"Uncle," Jessica nodded and smiled.

 
 

Jessica couldn't explain the happiness she was feeling inside. She felt like it was her first time experiencing what true happines really was.

 
 

Is this what it feels like to have a family? If it is then I don't want to let this go.

 
 

---

 
 

"Family."

 
 

Tiffany read the name of the old photo album quietly. She turned the cover carefully and stared at the first picture on the first page.

 
 

It was an old family photograph, back when Tiffany's mom was still alive. Tiffany was just five years old in the worn out picture and was a chubby little girl. Tiffany and her parents were standing under a tree that seemed to be located in a park. Tiffany was holding on to her mother's hand as she sat on her father's shoulder.

 
 

The three of them were smiling widely in the photo. Eye-smiles to be exact, a special trait that Tiffany inherited from her parents. Tiffany's dad especially had the happiest one. His mouth was slightly open because he was laughing while the picture was being taken.

 
 

"Huh." Tiffany chuckled as she remembered the day when the photograph was shot.

 
 

They decided to have a picnic at the park. Tiffany remembers to have eaten a lot of sandwiches that day made by her mom and playing hide and seek with her dad around the great oak tree until they lied down down on the ground laughing.

 
 

"Daddy..." Tiffany whispered quietly as she traced her father's smiling face on the old photograph.

 
 

He seemed so different back then, filled with so much happiness and joy. Unlike how he is now.

 
 

Tiffany flinched when she heard a loud crash outside her room. Surely, her father was drinking again.

 
 

But even though Tiffany's dad has changed very much now...

 
 

Tiffany always thought of herself as a Daddy's little girl.

 
 

"I miss you, Daddy."

 
 

---

 
 

"Taeyeon?"

 
 

"Yes appa?"

 
 

"How is our guest room?"

 
 

"They're okay, I guess."

 
 

"Hmm. How about that extra bed in your room? Do you use it?"

 
 

"No. I don't really put anything there either. Only Tiffany uses it when she comes here for a sleepover." Taeyeon replied as she continued eating her food.

 
 

"Then how would you feel about having a roommate?"

 
 

Taeyeon looked up from her plate and raised an eyebrow at her father.

 
 

"Roommate?"

 
 

"Yes, Taeyeon."

 
 

"Why?"

 
 

"Because we'll be having some guests tomorrow. They'll be staying here because I need to monitor one of them and her condition."

 
 

Taeyeon broke out into a huge grin. "I'd like that very much, appa! Sometimes I feel lonely around the house so a new friend would be nice!"

 
 

Dr. Kim chuckled. "Be sure to be nice to them, okay Taeyeon?"

 
 

"Yes appa!" Taeyeon nodded obediently.

 
 

"Good. By the way, aren't your friends supposed to come here today?"

 
 

"Yeah. We're having a study group today."

 
 

As if on cue, the doorbell rang.

 
 

"Ah that must be them, Taeyeon. I'll be upstairs if you need me." Dr. Kim said, getting up.

 
 

Taeyeon nodded and got up as well to get the door.

 
 

The moment Taeyeon unlocked the front door, Sooyoung already swung it open and waltzed inside as if it were her own house.

 
 

"I can smell food! Where is it Taeyeon-ah?" Sooyoung asked eagerly, already heading straight for the kitchen.

 
 

"Sooyoung! You could've at least greeted Taeyeon first!" Hyoyeon yelled as she went after Sooyoung.

 
 

"Unnie, you'll die if you eat that!" Seohyun followed the two after hearing Sooyoung scream "Hamburger!" in the kitchen.

 
 

Taeyeon sighed and shook her head. "Isn't anybody going to greet me first?"

 
 

"Taengoo-ah!" An aegyo-filled voice called out.

 
 

Taeyeon looked up and saw Sunny smiling widely and standing in front of her.

 
 

"Hi Sunny." Taeyeon smiled back as Sunny entered the house.

 
 

Taeyeon took a peek outside and found no one else there.

 
 

"Where's Tiffany?" Taeyeon asked as she closed the door.

 
 

"I thought she was already here?" Sunny replied.

 
 

"I guess she forgot." Taeyeon shook her head again in dismay. "Seriously, what's gotten into Fany? She's been so absent-minded lately."

 
 

"I know. I asked her about it and she says that she doesn't know why." Sunny shrugged.

 
 

"Well I better call her to remind her about our group study."

 
 

---

 
 

Tick tock.

 
 

The ticking of the wall clock was getting louder in Jessica's ears as she has done nothing for the past ten minutes but tinker with her new watch, trying to figure out how she could communicate with Yuri through it.

 
 

"Yuri could've at least given me an instruction manual to go with this." Jessica grunted as she tapped the screen twice.

 
 

She heard a beep then suddenly Yuri appeared beside her bed.

 
 

"Hey Jessica. What's up?"

 
 

"Yah Yuri! I've been trying to reach you through this thing since a while ago!"

 
 

"Oh I forgot to teach you how the new version works huh?"

 
 

"Thank you for pointing out the obvious." Jessica rolled her eyes.

 
 

"Aww! Don't worry, Sica! It's not your fault that you're a technology illiterate."

 
 

"Yah!" Jessica pouted while Yuri chuckled.

 
 

"Look it's just easy. Here, I'll show you."

 
 

After a few minutes of lecturing Jessica on how the watch worked, Yuri crossed her arms and leaned on the wall.

 
 

"So how's life being human so far?"

 
 

"Fine, I guess. It's been a week so I've gotten used to it."

 
 

Yuri nodded. "I see you've been closer to Krystal."

 
 

"Yeah. Well in a sense, I guess I could relate with her, losing something very important and special. She lost her sister while I lost my wings."

 
 

"Hmm, I guess that's one of the reasons why you had to become human first." Yuri shrugged. "So have you seen Tiffany already?"

 
 

"I don't really know if I should." Jessica said, unsure.

 
 

"How come?"

 
 

"Well for one thing, she doesn't know me. I might scare her since I'm just a stranger to her."

 
 

"Hmm, maybe."

 
 

Jessica sighed exasperatedly and took a pink flower out of the flower vase, twirling it in her hand like an umbrella.

 
 

"I really want to see her though. I want to know how's she has been. I've been worried about her for the whole week."

 
 

"You know, I thought you would be happy once you get unbounded to Tiffany. Being stuck to someone for ten years is a pretty long time." Yuri chuckled. "But I guess she's really something important to you that you would still act like her guardian angel even though you're human now."

 
 

"I already told you Yul, I'm not acting like her guardian angel. I'm just worried about her. I'm not used to not being with her."

 
 

"Then maybe you should visit her."

 
 

"No. She doesn't know me. I'm a stranger to her. Besides, I still have to take care of Krystal and me before I could do that."

 
 

Yuri raised up her hands and shrugged. "Well it's your choice, Sica."

 
 

"Yuri?"

 
 

"Yeah?"

 
 

"Is it possible for me to summon another angel through my watch?"

 
 

"Yeah. Just do what I taught you. Who are you gonna call anyway?"

 
 

"Someone." Jessica answered as she touched the screen and began tapping buttons. "I just want to make sure how Tiffany's doing."

 
 

And with a final touch, the angel that Jessica was summoning suddenly appeared on the other side of Jessica's bed.

 
 

"Yoona!" Jessica greeted happily.

 
 

"Sica unnie?" Yoona asked, puzzled.

 
 

But before Jessica could reply, someone already interrupted her.

 
 

"Y-yoona?" Yuri's voice quivered.

 
 

Jessica didn't notice it a while ago but Yuri was trembling as she held on to her pendant and looked at Yoona with wide eyes.

 
 

Yoona also had the same shocked expression as she looked up when she heard Yuri call her name.

 
 

"Y-yuri?"

 
 

Jessica was utterly confused as she glanced back and forth between Yuri and Yoona who were still looking surprised at each other.

 
 

"You two know each other?" Jessica's voice broke Yuri out of her shocked state.

 
 

"I'm sorry, Jessica. I have to go now. I'll see you later."

 
 

"Wait, Yuri!"

 
 

But Yuri was already gone as she disappeared into the thin air.

 
 

Jessica looked at Yoona questionably who was still in a surprised state.

 
 

"Yoona, you know Yuri?"

 
 

Yoona finally glanced at Jessica and nodded slowly.

 
 

To answer Jessica's question, Yoona took out a pendant that was hidden under her white dress. Jessica had never noticed Yoona wearing the pendant before but it was very familiar.

 
 

"That pendant...Yuri wears one like that too." Jessica said in amazement and confusion.

 
 

"Unnie," Yoona started as she played with the letter Y of her pendant, just like how Yuri would.

 
 

"Yuri and I..."

 
 
 
 
 

TBC

 
 
 
 
 

A/N: "Yuri and I..." What? WHAT?

 

Okay so I finally managed to put Yoonyul into the story :D I didn't think it would be this soon, to be honest.

 

Anyways, while waiting for the next chapter, why don't you fill in the blank in what Yoona was about to say. I'd like to hear your ideas and thoughts about it so that I could write faster :)

 

Oh and I know that a lot of you are wondering when Jessica and Tiffany will be meeting. Well here's the thing...

 

...they won't be meeting. I decided that I should just pair Jessica and Tiffany with different members instead.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Aw come on readers! Of course I'm just kidding :D This is a JETI fanfic remember? And Jeti's my OTP forever <3

 

They'll be meeting soon so don't worry :)