Chapter 2

Concrete Angel

 

A/N: Okay, so Jessica being an angel must've been pretty obvious in the prologue. Hehe! But specifically saying, she's a Death Angel and not a Guardian Angel. Now let me explain the two kinds of angels you'll be reading in this fanfic so you could understand them better :) Let's start with the Guardian Angels. They're also known as the Guardians (Lame huh? I couldn't think of anything better. I was thinking about using Protectors but that would just seem pretty plain and cliche :P) Each human has their own, one that will protect them from harm and danger. You'll be meeting one specific Guardian very soon ;) Now let's move on to the Death Angels which are also called as Reapers. Their job is to take the soul of a person they're assigned to when that person is only a few moments away from death. Reapers guide these souls on their journey to the Spirit World then leave them there for other angels to handle. Unlike the Guardians, they don't have their own human. Reapers are always assigned to different people, taking one soul after the next. Now if you're going to be asking if they look like Grim the Reaper who wears a black cloak and always holds a scary scythe and looks dead, then my answer is no, they don't look anything like that :) Jessica and Yuri are both a proof of that (Have you ever seen a Death Angel so hot? :D) If you're still confused about the angels in this fanfic, feel free to comment and ask, and I'll be more than happy to answer you in my next update ^^

 
 
 
 
 

Chapter 2

 
 

It was already late at night when Tiffany got home from the cemetery . She wiped the remaining tears on her face and took in a deep breath before opening the door of their house slowly. As soon as she took a step inside, the smell of alcohol invaded her nostrils, almost making her gag in distaste. As she closed the door behind her carefully, she was immediately greeted by her father where the source of the smell was coming from.

 
 

"What are you doing here?" he slurred at Tiffany and scowled, obviously irritated by her presence.

 
 

"Dad, you're gonna get drunk." Tiffany said with concern as she eyed the bottle of beer that her father held in one hand.

 
 

"I don't care." Mr. Hwang spat out in annoyance before drinking another large amount of beer.

 
 

"Dad, please." Tiffany begged as she tried to take the bottle of beer from her father's strong grip. But Mr. Hwang slapped her hand away, making Tiffany wince back and whimper in pain.

 
 

"I SAID I DON'T CARE IF I GET DRUNK!!!" he yelled as he threw the bottle of beer along with its contents towards a wall where it smashed into pieces with a loud crash. "JUST LEAVE ME AND MY MISERABLE LIFE ALONE! I DON'T NEED YOU AND I DON'T WANT YOU!"

 
 

Tiffany didn't say anything as she watched her father stagger outside the house. Tiffany initially would've followed him and persuade him to stay inside since it was already late at night, but she thought that it would be best to leave him alone for now. So she just went up to her room and locked herself in, crying her heart out again as she lied down on her bed and hugged herself tightly.

 
 

---

 
 

Tiffany cried so much to the point that she couldn't pour out any tears anymore. She slowly fell asleep a few moments later with puffy red eyes and trembling lips due to the exhaustion of crying too much. Jessica was sitting at the edge of Tiffany's bed, watching the girl's sleeping form. Tiffany's deep and even breaths were like a lullaby to Jessica's ears, almost lulling her also to sleep.

 
 

"At least you don't have to cry anymore when you're asleep." Jessica whispered as she observed Tiffany's peaceful yet sorrowful face, caressing the sleeping girl's tear-stained cheek with the back of her index finger even though she couldn't touch her.

 
 

Jessica sighed as she went towards Tiffany's balcony, making sure that she doesn't stay too far away from the girl. Jessica crossed her arms and rested them on top of the balcony's railing while watching the sleeping community of the neighborhood below.

 
 

"It's been ten years since I've been stuck here on earth..." Jessica said to herself.

 
 

She placed a hand inside her pocket and took out a single white feather, contrast to the black jacket that she wore. She brought the feather up to her face and inspected every inch and fiber of it. Jessica sighed as she reminisced what happened in the past.

 
 

"Ten years since I've been bounded to Tiffany..."

 
 
 

FLASHBACK

 

 

“Looks like we’ll be going together, Jessica.” Yuri said as she handed me a list. I took it in one hand and read it to myself.


YURI
Name: Jane Hwang
Age: 33 years old
C.O.D.: Car accident

 

JESSICA
Name: Stephanie "Tiffany" Hwang Miyoung
Age: 8 years old
C.O.D.: Car accident

 

 

"Hmm. Let’s go then." I said lazily.
 

 

The moment Yuri and I spread our wings, we immediately materialized in the back of a moving car. In the driver’s seat was a mother who was obviously looking worried, while in the passenger seat sat a little girl who was crying quietly. I looked at my watch that noted the time left of the little girl.


56 seconds
 
 
I looked over at Yuri who was playing with the letter Y of the pendant that hung aroud her neck. She usually does that nowadays whenever she's nervous, and I always wondered why. I asked her one time where she got the necklace but she just shrugged and didn't answer me.

 
 

Hmm, must stand for her name or something.

 
 

I looked at the little girl whose life I was supposed to take in a few mere seconds. I remembered her name to be Tiffany. I felt sorry for her because she had to die sadly while crying. I looked at my watch again.
 
 
37 seconds
 
 
“Tiffany, are you just going to let them? Are you going to let those kids do what they want even if they’re already hurting others?” I heard the mother say.
 
 
“But what am I supposed to do?” Tiffany said it in a whisper, but I still heard her. She sounded so scared and so helpless.
 
 
“Tiffany, always remember this: work your hardest, do your best, and prove to them that you can be better. Always be strong and stand up whenever you fall. Don’t let them bring you down, Tiffany.”
 
 
Tiffany is lucky to have a mother like her, I smiled sadly. It’s too bad that they have to die soon.
 
 
“But what if I get tired of being strong?” Tiffany asked.
 
 
The mother’s eyes left the road as she looked at Tiffany. She didn’t see the truck that was coming their way. I looked at my watch.
 
 
9 seconds
 
 
Her time was running up. I summoned my scythe and it magically appeared in my hand. Yuri’s scythe also appeared and she was already aiming it on the mother’s chest, where her heart was.
 
 
“Then someone special will come by your side and be strong for you.” The mother said. Those would be her last and final words. I aimed my scythe at Tiffany’s heart.
 
 
3 seconds
 
 
I was already swinging but the scythe stopped abruptly and hovered above Tiffany's chest, just a millimeter away.
 
 
2 seconds
 
 
I saw something that made me stop. Something that made me pull back the scythe at the last moment. Because I knew that if the scythe had hit her, I would never see it again. It was something so beautiful that I didn’t want to take it away.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


I saw Tiffany’s smile.

 
 
 
 
 

 

And it seemed like her eyes were also smiling along with her as they turned into moon-like crescents, shining with so much happiness and love.

 

 



1 second


The car swerved violently. Yuri had already taken the mother’s life and vanished. I looked at Tiffany and panicked. I unconsciously opened my wings and suddenly wrapped them around the girl, covering her like a protective shield. I let out a shrieking cry as the truck strongly came in contact with the car.

 
 

As an angel, I’m not supposed to feel any pain. But I felt like my back was being torn apart from the impact. And for an 8 year old like me, the pain I felt was tormentingly and excruciatingly indescribable. I turned my head around and found that my wings were no longer there. All that was left were a few white feathers that slowly fluttered helplessly to the ground. My eyes grew in fear, shock, and realization.



I just sacrificed my wings to save this little girl.



I looked back at Tiffany and found her unconscious in my arms.


“Tiffany!” I screamed.


I didn't know when I started crying. I only realized it when I saw my own tears fall down on her face. I didn't look at my watch. I knew what it would say.

 



0 seconds

 

 


END OF FLASHBACK

 
 
 

Jessica sighed again as she twirled the white feather with her fingers. Ever since after the accident, she became bounded to Tiffany, never leaving the girl's side. It was like there was an invisible and unbreakable string between them that tied them both to each other. Jessica's watch still said the same thing after ten years. As if it was telling her that she was too late, that her time was up, and that she didn't have a second chance.

 
 

I couldn't turn back time. But if I could, would I change what happened before? Or will I still do the same thing?

 
 

Lost in her thoughts, Jessica suddenly felt a cold gust of wind blow through her hair. Jessica immediately hid the feather back in her pocket and turned around to face the presence that unexpectedly came.

 
 

A tall girl in a white dress stood in front of Jessica, adjusting the white cardigan that she wore.

 
 

"Yoona." Jessica greeted.

 
 

"Sica Unnie!" the girl with doe-like eyes smiled widely.

 
 

Jessica smiled back but suddenly frowned when she saw Yoona running towards her then engulfing Jessica in a suffocating bear hug.

 
 

"I MISSED YOU, UNNIEEEEE!!!!!"

 
 

"GAH! Yoona! I can't breath! Let me go!" Jessica pleaded as she tried to pry the younger girl away from her.

 
 

"Oops! I'm sorry, Jessica! I guess I just got carried away. It's been such a long time since I last visited you. So, how have you been?" Yoona asked as she let go of Jessica.

 
 

Jessica shrugged and replied, "You know how I've been, Yoona. You're Tiffany's guardian angel. You practically watch me everyday since I'm always with her."

 
 

Yoona laughed, showing off her famous alligator smile. "Well how's Tiffany then?"

 
 

"Why are you asking me? You're her Guardian, you should know!"

 
 

"Yeah, but you're closer to her. You know her better than I do."

 
 

"Yes, but she doesn't know me." Jessica sighed sadly.

 
 

Yoona kept quiet for a while, not really knowing what to say. Seeing that the atmosphere suddenly became awkwardly silent, Jessica sighed loudly.

 
 

"My Sica Effect just happened again, didn't it?"

 
 

Yoona giggled and nodded her head. Jessica pouted and decided to change the topic to save herself from further embarrassment.

 
 

"Anyway, why did you decide to visit me?"

 
 

"No reason. I just wanted to check up on you and hang around for a while." Yoona answered simply.

 
 

"Missed me that much?" Jessica laughed.

 
 

"Of course I missed you! I can't even remember the last time I visited you."

 
 

"Too busy with work?"

 
 

"Busy with work? No. Not really." Yoona shook her head.

 
 

"How come?" Jessica asked curiously.

 
 

Yoona shrugged then smirked afterwards. "Because you seem to be handling my job of being Tiffany's Guardian very well. Please do keep up the good work, Sica Unnie!"

 
 

Jessica pouted. "Why does everybody think that I'm being Tiffany's guardian angel?"

 
 

"Hmm, maybe it's because you always act like it?" Yoona suggested.

 
 

"How am I acting as her Guardian? I couldn't even do anything for her so that she wouldn't cry or get hurt anymore." Jessica frowned as she glanced sadly at Tiffany who was still sleeping soundly on her bed.

 
 

"But you do, Sica. You always do." Yoona replied as she showed an amused alligator smile.

 
 

Jessica looked back at Yoona with furrowed brows. "I don't understand what you're saying, Yoong."

 
 

Yoona chuckled. "You know that as Tiffany's official guardian angel, I could see her dreams, right?"

 
 

"Yes, I know that. Just like how we death angels could see how a person is supposed to die."

 
 

Yoona nodded her head. "Well I don't think I ever told you about this Sica Unnie, but..."

 
 

"But what?" Jessica asked expectantly as she listened and waited for Yoona's next words.

 
 

The doe-eyed girl's alligator smile seemed to grow even wider.

 
 

"Tiffany dreams of you every night."

 
 

Jessica blinked her eyes a few times, trying to process into her mind what she just heard.

 
 

"Dream of me? But she doesn't even know what I look like." Jessica frowned.

 
 

Yoona shook her head. "She doesn't know that it's you because your face is just a blur in her dreams."

 
 

"Then how come you know that she's dreaming of me?" Jessica asked.

 
 

"Because Tiffany dreams of your voice." Yoona answered.

 
 

"Really?" Jessica asked, seeming rather surprised.

 
 

"Yeah. And every time she dreams of you, she feels safe and protected. But most of all, she feels very happy. It really frustrates her since she badly wants to know who you are." Yoona chuckled then looked at the sleeping Tiffany. "She's dreaming of you right now, you know."

 
 

Yoona went inside Tiffany's room and motioned for Jessica to follow. As they stood beside Tiffany's bed, Yoona pointed her finger at the sleeping girl's face.

 
 

"Watch."

 
 

Jessica looked at Yoona with questioning eyes then looked at Tiffany and wondered what Yoona was trying to point out.

 
 

"Yoona, what is it that you're trying to -"

 
 

Suddenly, Jessica watched intently as Tiffany's closed eyes slowly turned into two moon-like crescents while the corner of her lips tugged slightly upward. Her faint smile gradually grew into an obvious and happy one, causing Jessica to smile unconsciously as well.

 
 

"She still eye-smiles even when she's asleep, Sica. Even though it's just in her dreams, you make her very happy. You just didn't realize it."

 
 

---

 
 

Tiffany woke up a few minutes later with a smile still evident on her face. Although that smile soon changed into a pout as she tried to recall the person in her dream.

 
 

"I keep dreaming about you but your face is all a blur..." Tiffany whispered and furrowed her eyebrows in curiosity. "Who are you..."

 
 

Tiffany's deep thoughts were suddenly interrupted when her cellphone rang, making the girl flinch in surprise. Tiffany fumbled for the phone in her pocket and answered it quickly.

 
 

"Hello? Oh Taeyeon!"

 
 

"Yah! Hwang Miyoung! Are you still in bed?!"

 
 

"Erm...yeah. Why?"

 
 

"FANY-AH! HAVE YOU FORGOTTEN? TODAY'S A SATURDAY! WE HAVE WORK TODAY!"

 
 

"WHAT?!?"

 
 

Tiffany brought her frantic hands to her frazzled hair as she looked at the alarm clock on her nightstand and saw that it was already 7:22 AM.

 
 

"Why didn't you call me sooner, Tae?!" Tiffany asked as she got out of bed and ran quickly into the bathroom.

 
 

She could audibly hear Taeyeon scoff at the other end of the line. "As if I knew that you were still sleeping in dreamland!"

 
 

"Alright! I'll be there as fast as I can!" Tiffany said hurriedly while turning on the shower and taking off her clothes at the same time.

 
 

"You have less than 40 minutes before eight o' clock, Tiffany. You better be here before then!" Taeyeon reminded before hanging up and ending the call.

 
 

---

 
 

Tiffany was panting tiredly as she came bursting through the entrance of the cafe.

 
 

"I...made...it!" Tiffany wheezed in between inhaling and exhaling.

 
 

Taeyeon stood in front of Tiffany with crossed arms while tapping an impatient foot.

 
 

"You're late, Tiffany!" Taeyeon scolded as she pointed an accusing finger at the tired girl.

 
 

"No...I'm...not." Tiffany pouted while still catching her breath.

 
 

"Yes you are!" Taeyeon objected then pointed at the wall clock that read 8:03 AM.

 
 

"It's just three minutes after eight, Taeyeon. Stop exaggerating."

 
 

Taeyeon scowled and held Tiffany by the ear, dragging her behind the counter.

 
 

"Ow! Ow! Ow! Let me go, Taeyeon!" Tiffany whined in protest.

 
 

Jessica was sitting at a table and watched bemusedly as Seohyun tried to hold Taeyeon back as the ahjumma-like girl continued scolding Tiffany like how a mother would scold her daughter for being late. Tiffany pouted cutely at Taeyeon, making the older girl release her and send her straight to work.

 
 

Jessica continued watching Tiffany work when Yuri suddenly appeared in the seat in front of Jessica.

 
 

"Oh hey Yuri. I didn't expect to see you so soon. What's up?"

 
 

"Jessica, I have something important to tell you." Yuri informed.

 
 

Jessica saw Yuri bite her lip nervously, as if she was contemplating whether or not to tell to Jessica what she was supposed to say.

 
 

"What is it, Yuri?" Jessica asked curiously.

 
 

"Before I tell you that, I'd like to ask something first." Yuri just looked down and avoided Jessica's gaze. "Sica, I always wondered..."

 
 

"What?"

 
 

Yuri waited for a few seconds to pass before asking her question.

 
 

"Why did you save Tiffany?"

 
 

Jessica sighed and shook her head. Jessica herself, didn't even know the answer to that question. Sometimes she would ask herself, Why did I let her live? Why didn't I take away her life when I had to? Why did I save her? But Jessica always ended up with the same unanswered questions.

 
 

"I don't know." Jessica sighed exasperatedly.

 
 

Yuri nodded and continued fumbling with the letter Y on her pendant. "Do you ever regret it?"

 
 

Do I regret saving Tiffany? The question also came to Jessica's mind most of the time. But just like the most of her many questions, this one also remained unanswered.

 
 

"I don't know." Jessica replied again. "Although I'm upset that I got stuck here on earth, I'm still happy that Tiffany's still alive."

 
 

Yuri nodded for the second time then finally looked straight into Jessica's eyes, telling her that she was serious.

 
 

"Do you want to have your wings again?"

 
 

Jessica's eyes grew in surprise and stood agape with what she just heard.

 
 

"Of course I want to, Yuri. But that's not possible..." Jessica uttered in disbelief.

 
 

"Jessica," the brunette heard Yuri say.

 
 

"I found a way for you to get your wings back..."

 
 
 
 
 

TBC

 
 
 
 
 

A/N: Did you know how hard it was for me to think up of a name for Tiffany's mom? o_O And all I end up with was plain Jane -_- Haha! So I explained in this chapter how Jessica became bounded to Tiffany. The flashback was in Jessica's POV, by the way. I also introduced Yoona here! :D Sorry if this chapter is just a short update though. I already wrote about 50% of Chapter 3. I'll continue writing it during our practices for our High School graduation! :D