Chapter 3

Concrete Angel

 

A/N: I kinda had a little trouble in writing this chapter. I had to hide writing this chapter on my phone while practicing for our graduation while not getting caught at the same time. So I apologize if there are some mistakes in this chapter. You don't know how hard it is to hide your phone in between notebooks while trying to type on it at the same time! :D

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 3

 

 

"Remind me why we're here again, Yuri."

 

 

"Because you have to become human, Jessica."

 

 

Jessica and Yuri were standing beside a hospital patient's bed. The patient was in a comma and looked exactly like Jessica from head to toe. Same face, same eyes, same nose, same height, same everything. The only difference being was their hair color, Jessica had brown hair while the girl was blonde.

 

 

"What did you say her name was again?" Jessica asked.

 

 

"Jung Sooyeon."

 

 

Jessica scrunched up her face in distaste. "Sounds like an ahjumma's name."

 

 

Yuri laughed in amusement. "Better get used to it. It's the name that will be called to you when you take human form."

 

 

Jessica frowned but nodded nonetheless.

 

 

"Why is her hair blonde and not brown like mine?"

 

 

"Angels don't dye their hair, Jessica. Sooyeon must've had hers dyed before."

 

 

"Oh. Well why does she look like me?" Jessica asked curiously.

 

 

"I don't know. It's really a big coincidence actually."

 

 

"But why?"

 

 

"She just does, Sica."

 

 

"Why?"

 

 

Yuri sighed exasperatedly, she was starting to lose patience with Jessica and her continuous questions.

 

 

"For the sake of making this chapter any longer and for the sake of this whole fanfic, let's just say that the author wanted the two of you to look alike and leave it at that."

 

 

"This is a fanfic?" Jessica asked incredulously.

 

 

"Aish! Sica, seriously!"

 

 

"Alright, alright!" Jessica chuckled as she held up her hands in surrender.

 

 

"But why do I have to use this girl's body though? Why not someone else? I'm pretty sure there are other humans that are in a comma."

 

 

"Why? You don't like this one?"

 

 

"It's not that. I was just curious about the matter. And I like her very much. She's very gorgeous, don't you think so?" Jessica grinned widely.

 

 

"I don't."

 

 

"Hey!"

 

 

Yuri laughed, "I'm just kidding!"

 

 

"I find it very funny, Yuri." Jessica laughed sarcastically. "You still haven't answered my question though."

 

 

"Well, one reason is that because you two are completely identical which will make it easier for you to adjust to your human form. Another reason is that Sooyeon's body has no soul anymore. She's technically dead. Only the machines support her lungs to breath. You see, someone prayed to the Big Guy not to let Sooyeon here die so soon and it was His will to grant it. But a Reaper already took Sooyeon's soul and you know that there are some souls we can't bring back into a human's body. So you're going to fill up the role of Sooyeon for a while."

 

 

"But what does that have anything to do with getting my wings back?"

 

 

"It's part of the deal I made with the Big Guy. You shall get your wings back, but first you should become human and live as Sooyeon for a while. Then when the time is right, you shall finish the job that you were supposed to do ten years ago, your unfinished business which is to take Tiffany's soul."

 

 

"Is that really necessary?" Jessica frowned.

 

 

"Yes. That's the main thing you're supposed to do. Being Sooyeon is just a sideline mission to answer someone's prayer. Don't worry, Jessica. You're not going to kill Tiffany. You're just going to have to take her soul when she's nearing her death."

 

 

"How will I even know when she's about to die? My watch doesn't work anymore, remember?"

 

 

"Ah yes. Thank you for reminding me." Yuri turned to Jessica and took her wrist. She wrapped her hand over the broken watch and covered it completely. A bright light lit up in Yuri's palm then she removed her hand and revealed the watch. The old watch was replaced with a new one that looked like an iPod nano-slash-watch.

 

 

"Cool! Do that again, Yuri!" Jessica squealed like a little kid.

 

 

"So childish." Yuri rolled her eyes as Jessica spazzed over her new gadget.

 

 

Jessica suddenly pouted and showed the watch's screen to Yuri. "It still says 0 seconds, Yul."

 

 

"That will change at a later time, Jessica. You will know how much time Tiffany has left at the right moment. I just modified your watch so that we could communicate with each other through our watches."

 

 

"Oh okay." Jessica nodded her head. "Hey Yuri, how come I'm not vanishing abruptly then materializing beside Tiffany right now? Aren't I supposed to do that since I'm bounded to her?"

 

 

"Oh yeah. About that, you're temporarily unbounded to Tiffany because you have to undergo the process of being one with Sooyeon's body."

 

 

"Oh." Jessica said sullenly.

 

 

"You have to get used of not being with Tiffany all the time, Sica. Once you become Sooyeon, Tiffany wouldn't know you because she has never met Sooyeon before."

 

 

"Right." Jessica said in a disappointed tone then cleared to change the topic. "So how am I supposed to become one with Sooyeon's body?"

 

 

"Ah, that's pretty simple." Yuri grinned slyly.

 

 

Jessica eyed Yuri skeptically and frowned. "I don't like that tone or that smile of yours, Yul."

 

 

"Don't worry, Jessica. This wouldn't hurt at all. Since you're an angel you wouldn't feel the pain." Yuri smirked as she revealed her hand that was wearing a black boxing glove. "But I think your nose is gonna feel a little sore when you wake up as a human."

 

 

"Yuri. I know what that thing is. Do we really have to use that?" Jessica asked warily as she took a cautious step backwards.

 

 

"Of course, Jessica. This is the only to knock a soul back into a human's body."

 

 

"But I'm not even a soul. I'm an angel!"

 

 

"It works the same with our kind." Yuri shrugged.

 

 

"But -"

 

 

Jessica wasn't able to finish her protest because Yuri unexpectedly threw a punch at Jessica's face using the boxing glove, knocking her unconcious into Sooyeon's body.

 

 

---

 

 

BAM!

 

 

"Oowww!" Tiffany let out an ear-splitting scream as she clutched her right foot.

 

 

The customers looked up in surprise at Tiffany's sudden outburst and looked peculiarly at the jumping girl.

 

 

"Unnie!" Seohyun cried with worry as she rushed to Tiffany who was hopping on one foot. "What happened?"

 

 

"My foot accidentally bumped into one of the legs of a table." Tiffany replied and hissed in pain.

 

 

"Let's go in the kitchen, unnie. You should sit down for a while."

 

 

Tiffany nodded her head and allowed Seohyun to help her walk.

 

 

When they entered the kitchen, they saw Sooyoung eating a bar of chocolate while cooking some soup.

 

 

"Hey guys! Do you wanna - Woah! Tiffany, what happened to you?" Sooyoung asked as she put down her spatula and brought out a chair for Tiffany to sit on.

 

 

"She accidentally hit one of the tables." Seohyun answered as she helped Tiffany sit down.

 

 

"Again? Tiffany, that's the fourth time today!" Sooyoung said worriedly.

 

 

Hyoyeon suddenly came into the kitchen to see what the commotion was all about and saw Sooyoung and Seohyun huddled around Tiffany.

 

 

"Aigoo! What happened this time, Fany-ah?" Hyoyeon asked as Tiffany took off her pink sneakers.

 

 

"She hit another table again." Sooyoung answered.

 

 

Hyoyeon shook her head at Tiffany and tsked.

 

 

"Yah! What's gotten into you today, Tiffany? You've been acting such a klutz since this morning!"

 

 

Tiffany frowned and shook her head. "I don't know, Hyo. You know that I'm not usually like this."

 

 

Hyoyeon shook her head once again. "Be thankful that Taeyeon's grocery shopping with Sunny right now. If she found out that you got hurt she'll become Omma Taengoo again and scold you for being careless."

 

 

"She's just too protective of me." Tiffany shrugged.

 

 

Hyoyeon tsked again and faced the maknae. "Seohyun, go back to the cashier. We still have some customers."

 

 

"Okay, Hyoyeon unnie." Seohyun said and gave Tiffany a small pat on the back before leaving the kitchen.

 

 

"Hey Sooyoung, watch over Tiffany while I get the first-aid kit, okay? And make sure that she doesn't let herself get into any more accidents."

 

 

"You got it, Hyo." Sooyoung replied.

 

 

After Hyoyeon left, Sooyoung took out another chair and sat down beside Tiffany.

 

 

"Hey Tiffany, are you alright? You don't seem like yourself today." Sooyoung asked in between chews of eating her chocolate while Tiffany rubbed her sore foot.

 

 

"I'm fine, Sooyoung." Tiffany replied then frowned. "It's just that I feel like something's wrong."

 

 

"Eh? What is it?" Sooyoung asked curiously.

 

 

Tiffany sighed and shook her head. "I don't know what exactly. I've been trying to figure it out since this morning. But I feel like something's missing, that there's something that should be with me right now..."

 

 

"Oh you mean like you forgot it?"

 

 

Tiffany shook her head again. "No. More like...it got disconnected from me."

 

 

Sooyoung furrowed her eyebrows in confusion and stared at Tiffany who was lost in her thoughts.

 

 

"Fany-ah, what do you me-"

 

 

Sooyoung stopped talking in mid-sentence and sniffed the air. "Hey, what's that smell? It smells like burnt..." Sooyoung gasped and jumped out of her seat. "MY SOUP!!!"

 

 

---

 

 

Jessica opened her eyes slowly and heavily with much effort. It felt as if she hasn't opened them in such a long time. She looked around the hospital room, viewing her environment through Sooyeon's eyes. Jessica raised her right hand slowly and brought it to her face to inspect it. The hand looked exactly like her own, but it felt different, knowing that she was in human form and that it was Sooyeon's hand.

 

 

Jessica tapped the new watch on her wrist. It lit up and a message appeared on the screen: 0 seconds. Jessica frowned, disappointed. She was hoping that it would've changed once she became human and tell her exactly how much time Tiffany had left. She just wanted to make sure. Jessica sighed and took off the watch and hid it under her pillow. She thought that whoever was taking care of Sooyeon might become curious if they saw that Sooyeon was suddenly wearing a new watch that came from nowhere.

 

 

A girl suddenly entered the room along with a man wearing a white coat and holding a clipboard, startling Jessica as she looked at them with surprised eyes. The girl noticed that Jessica was already awake as her eyes also grew wide in shock.

 

 

"Unnie?"

 

 

Jessica didn't know who the girl was and why she was referring to her as her older sister. The girl could've passed as Yoona's sister more than her own. The girl suddenly launched herself at Jessica and hugged her tightly as tears started streaming down her face.

 

 

"Unnie! I thought I'd lose you forever! Thank God that you woke up!" the girl cried as her tears seeped through the thin cloth of Jessica's hospital gown.

 

 

Jessica was too confused with the sudden events that were happening but she hugged the girl back, comforting her as she awkwardly wrapped her slender arms around the sobbing girl.

 

 

"W-who..." Jessica's voice came out low and hoarse as she spoke her first words as a human. "Who are you?"

 

 

The girl suddenly pulled away from the hug and looked at Jessica with horrified eyes.

 

 

"You...you d-don't know w-who I am?" the girl's voice trembled along with her shaking hands.

 

 

Jessica shook her head sadly. "I'm sorry. I don't know you."

 

 

The girl suddenly gasped and cried even harder then looked at the man she came with.

 

 

"Dr. Kim, why d-doesn't she remember m-me?" the girl asked as she continued crying.

 

 

Dr. Kim furrowed his eyebrows in concern as he neared Jessica's bed and leaned forward.

 

 

"Do you remember who you are, Ms. Jung?" he asked Jessica.

 

 

Jessica knew that she was supposed to live as Sooyeon, so she nodded her head and replied, "I'm Jung Sooyeon."

 

 

The doctor nodded his head and asked another question while gesturing a hand at the crying girl sitting at the edge of Jessica's bed.

 

 

"Do you recognize your sister?"

 

 

"My sister?" Jessica asked in confusion.

 

 

"Yes." Dr. Kim replied.

 

 

Jessica looked at the girl who was looking back at her with hopeful eyes, but Jessica shook her head again.

 

 

"No."

 

 

The girl cried even harder and buried her tear-streaked face into her open palms. Dr. Kim placed a hand on the girl's back and comforted her quietly. Then he looked back at Jessica and asked another question.

 

 

"Do you remember anything before the accident?"

 

 

"I had an accident?"

 

 

"Yes you did."

 

 

Jessica shook her head. "I can't remember anything."

 

 

"So you don't remember what happened to you?"

 

 

I just told him that I can't remembering anything, didn't I? Jessica thought and shook her head.

 

 

"Ms. Sooyeon, you had an accident a month ago. You got hit by a van when you saved your sister by pushing her out of the way. And it seems that the intense impact has affected your brain, therefore resulting into amnesia."

 

 

Jessica stared blankly at Dr. Kim.

 

 

I can't understand half of what he just said.

 

 

Jeasica suddenly felt dizzy and her vision was getting a bit blurry. Then she lost conscious and fell back asleep on the bed.

 

 

---

 

 

"Ouch! Be careful, Hyoyeon! It hurts!" Sooyoung hissed and retreated her hand from Hyoyeon and the cotton ball of healing medicine.

 

 

"Hey! If only you kept an eye on your soup then you wouldn't have burned yourself! Now stop being so stubborn and give me back your hand so that I could treat it properly!" Hyoyeon snapped.

 

 

Sooyoung grumbled and let Hyoyeon take her hand again. She winced as the blonde girl dabbed the cotton ball on her slightly scalded hand.

 

 

"I mean seriously, Sooyoung. Who in the right mind would put their hand in some boiling hot soup?" Hyoyeon scoffed.

 

 

"Yah! Do you think that I just thought it would be nice to dip my hand in there for no reason? My chocolate bar fell in the soup! I had to save it!"

 

 

"Well did you?"

 

 

"No. It melted too quickly into the soup." Sooyoung frowned sadly and sulked. "And I only had three bites out of it! Just three! My good chocolate went to waste!" she added.

 

 

"I'll buy you another chocolate bar then."

 

 

"Huh?" Sooyoung asked, confused.

 

 

"I'll buy you another one." Hyoyeon repeated. "Just stop frowning already!"

 

 

"Really? Could you make that two chocolate bars then?"

 

 

Hyoyeon dabbed the cotton ball harder on Sooyoung's hand, making the shikshin flinch from the sudden pressure.

 

 

"Don't push it, Sooyoung." Hyoyeon warned threateningly.

 

 

Sooyoung gulped and nodded her head obediently. "Got it."

 

 

Hyoyeon rolled her eyes and began wrapping Sooyoung's hand with a bandage.

 

 

"You really have to be more careful, Soo. Now look at what happened! I had to treat you first instead of Tiffany."

 

 

"Well, Fany-ah said that she was okay. She's just..." Sooyoung glanced at Tiffany who was still spacing out. "...thinking deeply about something."

 

 

"Oh? What is it?"

 

 

Sooyoung shrugged. "Beats me. She said something about being disconnected? But I couldn't really understand what she was saying a while ago."

 

 

"That's because the only thing that's going on in your brain is food!" Hyoyeon said as she knocked on Sooyoung's head.

 

 

"You're hitting me again, Hyo! Do I look like a personal punching bag to you?" Sooyoung scowled while Hyoyeon finished wrapping her scalded hand.

 

 

"Yes. Now stand up, my punching bag! Go and make another batch of soup for the customers!" Hyoyeon dismissed and walked towards Tiffany to treat her foot.

 

 

"I am not your punching bag, Hyoyeon!" Sooyoung yelled back.

 

 

---

 

 

"Jessica."

 

 

"Yuri?"

 

 

"Yes, it's me."

 

 

"Where are we?" Jessica asked as she looked around her surroundings where there were children running around and playing in sandboxes, slides, see-saws, and monkey bars, while she and Yuri were sitting on the swings.

 

 

"Wait a minute. I know this place." Jessica said as she observed the playground more carefully, trying to look for a familiar little girl in a pigtails and wearing a cute pink dress. "This is the playground that Tiffany used to play in when she was a kid. What are we doing here?"

 

 

"We're in your dream, Sica." Yuri replied.

 

 

"I'm dreaming right now?"

 

 

"Yeah."

 

 

Jessica nodded her head and continued observing the environment. "So this is how dreaming feels like."

 

 

"Yeah. Anyway, I just came by your dream to remind you of a few things, Sica."

 

 

"Oh okay. What are they?"

 

 

"Well first of all, that girl who was crying is Sooyeon's little sister."

 

 

"Oh, so that explains why she was so upset..." Jessica said quietly and bit her lip in guilt. She didn't mean to make the girl cry. She didn't want to.

 

 

"Another thing you should know Jessica, since you're still an angel, you're just partially human. So that means you can still see other angels and use your angel powers and abilities. But you shouldn't be too obvious when you use them so that other humans wouldn't question you."

 

 

"I could still use my powers? Nice. I think I'll enjoy being human for a while." Jessica grinned.

 

 

"I have to warn you though, Sica. The longer you stay in this form, the more human you become. Which means that you will feel everything a human experiences. Pain, anger, jealousy, hunger, sadness, hate, and everything else, even temptation. The more you stay human, the more you lose your ability of being an angel."

 

 

"Oh. Is there anything else you'd like to tell me that might crush my hopes of becoming an angel again even more?" Jessica deadpanned.

 

 

"Yeah, there is actually. If you ever fail to finish your task when the time comes then another Death Angel will take Tiffany's soul and finish your task for you. But you won't be receiving your wings again. You can never become an angel and you will become completely human."

 

 

"Wow. Thanks, Yuri. That really boosted my fighting spirit." Jessica said sarcastically as she pouted.

 

 

"You're welcome, Sica." Yuri laughed. "Well, it looks like you'll be waking up soon so I'll be going now, Jessica. But you'll still see me around. I'll be guiding you from time to time."

 

 

"Then I hope you wouldn't be bringing that black glove with you the next time I see you, Yuri. You could really throw a mean punch." Jessica frowned and rubbed her nose, remembering the soreness of it when the glove had hit her.

 

 

---

 

 

Oh thinking about our younger years
There was only you an me
We were young and wild and free

 

 

Now nothing can take you away from me
We've been down that road before
But that's over now
You keep me coming back for more

 

 

"What next..." Tiffany tapped her forehead with a pencil while staring intently on the lyrics written on piece of paper.

 

 

Tiffany kept humming the melody she wanted for the chorus, but couldn't seem to find the lyrics to fit it.

 

 

"Where's that little voice in my head that always helps me whenever I'm having a hard time?" Tiffany murmured to herself.

 

 

"Whatcha doing, Fany-ah?"

 

 

Tiffany let out a small shriek, surprised by the voice that came from behind. Unfortunately, it wasn't the voice that Tiffany was looking for.

 

 

"Oops! I'm sorry, Fany. Did I surprise you?" Sunny asked as she took a seat beside Tiffany.

 

 

"Yes! You did surprise me, Sunny!"

 

 

"Really? That's good then! Your face was really funny!" Sunny laughed menacingly, although rather cutely.

 

 

"My foot may be bandaged right now but it's still strong enough to kick you badly, you know." Tiffany warned.

 

 

"I'd like to see you try. But I know that you wouldn't." Sunny smirked.

 

 

Tiffany pouted and stuck her tongue out. "Meanie."

 

 

Sunny laughed again then leaned forward to see the paper lying in front of Tiffany.

 

 

"What are you working on?"

 

 

Tiffany immediately snatched the paper away and folded it quickly before Sunny had the chance to have a good look at it.

 

 

"It's nothing. Nothing at all." Tiffany replied hastily as she pocketed the paper.

 

 

Sunny frowned. "I don't think that would be nothing if you've been staring at it for about twenty minutes now, Tiffany."

 

 

Tiffany shook her head at Sunny. "It's something kinda personal. I just don't want anyone to see it too soon. I'm sorry if I can't show it to you yet, Sunny-ah."

 

 

"It's alright, Fany-ah. I understand." Sunny smiled. "Hey, aren't you ready to go home now? We're gonna close the cafe soon."

 

 

"Oh, it's closing time already?"

 

 

"Yeah. Weren't you paying attention to the time?"

 

 

Tiffany shook her head while Sunny sighed.

 

 

"Aigoo! That's because you've been so engrossed in whatever you were doing a while ago."

 

 

"I'm sorry, Sunny. I...I haven't been acting myself lately." Tiffany replied sheepishly while rubbing her arm.

 

 

"We all noticed, Tiffany. You've been so absent minded lately. Would you care to explain why?"

 

 

Tiffany sighed and shook her head. "I don't know the reason why I'm being like this. I just feel like something's missing."

 

 

"Better find it then. You obviously seemed bothered by that matter. And it seems really important to you. Now come on. Let's go and help the others close the cafe."

 

 

Tiffany nodded and followed Sunny as they stood up from their chairs.

 

 

---

 

 

When Jessica woke up again, the first thing that she saw was the girl a while ago. She was sleeping on the couch near the bed.

 

 

She's a sleepyhead. Just like me, Jessica thought amusingly as she shifted a little on the bed to have a more comfortable position. The girl's sense of hearing must've been very acute because she immediately woke up upon sensing Jessica's movements and looked at her with puffy red eyes.

 

 

She's been crying...because of me, Jessica bit her lip in guilt.

 

 

"You're awake again." the girl said quietly while Jessica nodded her head.

 

 

The girl didn't really know what to say next. Her sister had amnesia so she wasn't sure how to start a conversation with her properly. Dr. Kim had told her a while ago not to speak too much with Sooyeon because she might confuse her. Jessica noticed the silence that surrounded them and decided to break the ice.

 

 

"How long have you been waiting for me to wake up?" Jessica asked the question slowly so that she wouldn't scare the girl.

 

 

"Erm...about four hours. But I guess I fell asleep after that." the girl answered and diverted her gaze to her fidgeting hands.

 

 

Jessica nodded. "You must've been really tired then."

 

 

The girl looked up at Jessica and smiled weakly. "Yeah."

 

 

Jessica realized that she didn't know the girl's name so she decided to ask. "What's your name?"

 

 

The girl bit her lip and balled her fists, hurt once again that Jessica couldn't remember her.

 

 

"Soojung. But you always call me by my English name, Krystal." the girl answered in a soft voice.

 

 

Jessica nodded again and registered the new information into her head.

 

 

"And you're my little sister, right?" Jessica asked, remembering what Yuri told her a while ago in her dream.

 

 

Krystal looked at Jessica with a little bit of happiness and hope in her eyes as she showed a small smile. "Yes, unnie."

 

 

Jessica smiled back and motioned for Krystal to come closer. Krystal neared her, taking a few steps before sitting quietly at the edge of Jessica's bed.

 

 

Jessica observed Krystal carefully while the latter fidgeted anxiously. Jessica could tell that Krystal felt awkward and uncomfortable in her presence.

 

 

Even as a human I still have my Sica Effect? Jessica pouted inwardly. Ah, but I wouldn't blame Krystal. It's not her fault that I didn't know that I was supposed to be her sister.

 

 

Jessica didn't know what it was like to have a sibling. The closest to a sister she had was Yoona and Yuri. But despite the lack of knowledge and skill on being an older sister, Jessica knew that she had to become the unnie that Krystal had been praying to wake up for the past month.

 

 

"Can I hug you?" Jessica suddenly requested, making Krystal look at her with a slightly surprised expression.

 

 

But Krystal slowly nodded her head after a while and dove right into Jessica's open arms.

 

 

"I really missed you, Sooyeon unnie" Krystal started crying again as she burried her face into Jessica's blonde hair.

 

 

"Jessica." the blonde smiled as she hugged Krystal affectionately while patting the dongsaeng's head.

 

 

"Please call me Jessica from now on, Krystal. Sooyeon sounds like an ahjumma's name." she laughed, making her little sister laugh as well.

 

 

 

 

 

TBC

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Weird way to put an angel into a human's body huh? It's so unrealistic! But I couldn't think of any other way. I didn't want to complicate things even more by using a magic spell or whatever. Oh well!

 

The important thing is that Jessica is now human :)

 

But Jessica and Tiffany are separated :(

 

And now you know who the crying girl was back at the cafe in Chapter 1 :D