The day the sun stopped rising.

One Step Ahead of You (moving)

Enjoy, comment and subscribe! : )

Furthermore, I would like to thank my subscribers, thank you so much for giving my story love! Oh and recently I found out what upvoting was, so if you think my story is worthy of an upvote, click the arrow beside my story title! :D

 

Kai                                                                                                                                               

 

“17th floor,” I muttered as the elevator doors slid open. I walked out and balanced the boxes in my hands upon my knee to open the door, only to find the door was partially open already. Carrying the boxes again, I stepped into the apartment and took in my surroundings. The penthouse had high spacious ceilings and dark minimalist furniture that contrasted with the bisque walls. Light poured in from the ceiling-to-floor windows. It was clean and simple, perfectly suited to Jihyun’s tastes.

 

“Jihyun?” I called out, only to be greeted by my echoes.

 

I tucked a box under each arm and continued to walk around the house. I entered a set of French doors to find a bedroom. Hearing a soft cry, I dropped my boxes hastily and swerved around the many boxes on the floor to reach the walk-in closet.

 

“Jihyun?” I said seeing Jihyun blowing on her hand, “Are you okay?”

 

Jihyun looked up in surprise. “I’m fine, just a small cut,” she answered.

 

I reached for her injured hand but she quickly pulled back. We stood their awkwardly for a moment before I exited in search of a bandage. I finally found one in the washroom and returned to see Jihyun stamping her cut with a tissue. I reached for her hand again and she flinched. “I’m fine,” she muttered. I grabbed her elbows and pulled her closer to me. I delicately held her hand to observe her wound. Opening the bandage, I quickly pressed it on her wound and softly her hand. As I lifted my head to look at her, she suddenly pulled away and walked out of the closet. “I’m trying to make you hurt less, ironically,” I thought as she fled the room.

 

Jihyun                                                                                                                                           

Using a pair of scissors, I snipped at the tape sealing my boxes. Kai brushed by me as he went to unpack his own boxes. The sun slowly warmed up the room as we worked diligently without stopping. After a while, I heard a sigh and turned to look at him; Kai was pulling off his sweater, his t-shirt slowly peeling up to reveal his toned abdomen. I quickly looked away as he pulled off his sweater and shook his bangs off his face. “Just the presence of him makes me feel ambiguous,” I thought and sneaked another peek at Kai.

 

His eyes were trained on me as he straightened out his t-shirt.

 

“Do you want to grab some lunch?” he asked.

 

“I’m not hungry,” I replied quickly and picked up a pair of scissors to open another box.

 

Kai brushed by me again and perched down in front of me. He softly touched my hand, “be careful with your hand,” he said before standing up to leave.

 

After he left, I sat down on the floor and leaned my back against the bed, hugging my knees. I sat like that until my body stopped shivering with anger and my heart stopped tingling with…who knows what.

Kai                                                                                                                                               

 

I quickly scarfed down my fried rice to feed my grumbling stomach. Being in that apartment made me feel so guilty, I felt guilty for what I had done and guilty for what I had felt about her. I reached for my phone and checked my messages. “Hm, what’s Minyoung up to?” I thought before dialing her number.

 

“Minyoung-ah?”

 

“Kai oppa!” she said in her bubbly voice, “What are you doing?”

 

“I’m moving into the new house,” I said, “And you hun?”

 

“Moving in with Jihyun-unni?” she exclaimed, “When can I meet her oppa?”

 

“You’ll meet her soon,” I replied, “Do you want to eat together tonight?”

 

“Why don’t you bring Jihyun-unni along?” she asked.

 

“She’s…busy,” I replied hesitantly, “I’ll pick you up at 6:00 okay?

 

“Oh, that’s too bad,” she replied with disappointment, “I’ll be waiting.”

 

“Who am I protecting with my lies?” I thought as I hung up.

 

Jihyun                                                                                                                                             

I had gone through most of the boxes now. Spotting one near the door, I walked over and proceeded to open it. “I don’t even remember having some many books,” I thought as I lifted the books out one by one. I drew in a breath when I saw a picture of Kai and another girl. “No wonder those books weren’t familiar,” I muttered quietly. I held the picture up to the light, it was a recent photo; in fact the red lettering in the corner stated it was less than a month ago. “He looks…so happy,” I thought bitterly, “He looks…in love.”

 

In two months, Kai has already moved on and fallen in love. In two months, I haven’t even gotten past a breakfast without pouring out 2 glasses of juice. For ten months, he appeared to be in love with me. For ten months, I loved him, and still feel a reminiscence of that love-.

 

“No,” I thought correcting myself, “I don’t know why, but I want him to be with that girl, he looks so happy and serene,”

 

“What does that even mean?”

 

Kai                                                                                                                                                  

 

I swung the plastic bag lightly in my hands as I returned to the apartment. I went to the kitchen to fetch a spoon before going back in the bedroom. Jihyun was hunched over a box, quickly putting things back in.

 

“Are you packing up to leave already?” I asked humorously.

 

“Oh, no, I accidently opened your box,” she said fumbling with her words.

 

“Oh, it’s fine,” I said bending down with a smile, “I bought you some food, ddeokbukki , your favourite.”

 

She took the food from me gratefully and sat down to eat.

 

“Remember that time we took the bus for 40 minutes just to get ddeokbukki?” I said seeing the beam on her face.

 

Her smiled faltered a bit before it was replaced with a more controlled smile. “Yeah,” she said softly. I shook my head when she offered me some and continued to watch her eat.”

 

Jihyun                                                                                                                                          

I could feel Kai’s gaze upon as I chewed on the delicious food. Seeing him watch me eat food was something so familiar.

 

Every since I met him, it has rained so much. It rained the first day we met, it rained in the middle of a sunny day and it was raining now. But somehow, just somehow, I started to like the rain. It doesn’t really matter what the weather is like outside when he’s the sunshine in your life. The sunshine that lights up your day and never fails to rise the next morning.

 

“There!” he shouted as he pulled me off the bus.

 

“Hurry,” I said as I made a dash for the restaurant, “My clothes are going to get wet.”

 

Hearing that, Kai smirked and held my hand tightly. He wrapped his arms around me and held me there, the rain drizlling upon our bodies.

 

“What are you doing?” I squealed as I tried to escape his grasp.

 

He laughed, his husky voice radiating warmth and looked down at me as rain dripped down his bangs. “I just want to remember this, seeing you in the rain…”

 

When he noticed me shivering he picked me up and ran into the restaurant as I giggled uncontrollably. He plopped me down on a chair and ordered for me. When he returned with our food, he placed it down in front of me and smiled as I dug in, not touching his food. He stayed like that for a few minutes until I gestured at his food. He swept my bangs off my face slowly then started to eat.

 

“I don’t want to remember it,” I thought to myself seeing his eyes glaze over, “but how can I forget it?”