Because of You - Part One

Y A O I —oneshot portfolio - Editing

 

Graduation is tomorrow and I'm going to leave for London the day after. Before that I hope I could tell Yong Guk how I feel about him.

 

"Hyung, could you listen for a second?" I was ready to face him.

 

"No", he simply said before walking off.

 

"Hyung, it's important", I plead.

 

"No. I've got work to do", he ran off. Why is he so rude? I didn't do anything wrong. I never did.

 

"Him Chan hyung, Yong Guk didn't let me say a word again", I didn't know who else to go to. Him Chan was the only one that understood. "Maybe I should just go to London without saying a word. I mean if I say it and he says no, I will have to go to London with a broken heart. I rather just think about him forever then have a broken heart which might not recover".

 

"Don't say that, Zelo. Maybe find out what's making him angry and solve that first", Him Chan comforted.

 

"But, hyung, I'm the one that is making him angry!"

 

"You don't know that for sure, do you now?" Him Chan said. I knew Him Chan hyung would help. I just hope I'm not the source of his anger.

 

"I'll try my best to find out why he is so angry, hyung! Thanks for your help", I smiled.

 

"Anytime", Him Chan whispered before walking towards Jong Up. I went up to Sunggyu, one of Yong Guk's best friends.

 

"Hey Sunggyu, could I talk to you?"

 

"I-I got to go to this meeting ", Sunggyu said before running off. I chased after him and caught up.

 

"Hey, it will be super quick! I swear", I said, grabbing his arm.

 

"No, I-I s-seriously have to go", he stuttered trying to wave my hands off.

 

"I won't let you go until you listen to me", I demanded.

 

"Zelo, listen! I have to meet someone so let my hand go!"

 

"No!" I was being childish but I didn't care. Sunggyu knows something and he is hiding it from me.

 

"Let him go, Zelo", the voice made me straighten.

 

 I let go of Sunggyu's arm, he stood still. I turned around to see the person I'm trying to change. Yong Guk.

"Sunggyu, why are you standing there? Don't you have a meeting to get to?" Sunggyu nodded and walked off. "Hurry! You're running late!" Sunggyu started running as fast as he could. "Zelo, I'm disappointed. I thought you were nice and cute. I never knew you were this violent towards elders. You've changed a lot", Yong Guk whispered whilst walking towards me.

 

"Me? I've changed? Pst. Noway! You're the one that has changed not me! You shout and scream at me for nothing. You barely talk to me! You barely look at me! Is that the Yong Guk hyung I knew? I don't even think calling you hyung is even worth it. I don't have respect for you since you don't even say hi to me, since you don't even reply to my texts, since you don't even care! So who changed? Me or you? I've tried to say goodbye for the past few months but you didn't listen!" I shouted, tears running down my cheeks. "I'm going to London and study there after graduation but you're happy right? You're never going to see me again. I'll never get in your way, just make sure you like on happily. I hope you have a great life without me dragging you down. Well, goodbye then", I ran off into the distance. I didn't look back; I didn't even look at his face. I didn't want to.

 

I went to the place where Yong Guk and I used to go. It was between the trees in the playground. There were two swings. I sat on one and Yong Guk used to sit on the other. I remembered the times where we used to smile and laugh... I guess that was some time ago.

 

'Don't tell anyone about this place ok?' Yong Guk used to say. I used to nod and feel like a special person.

 

The bell chimed... I guess it's time to go home. I went home and started packing. I left a tux out for graduation.

"Honey, you done packing or should I help you?"

 

"It's ok, mum. I'm nearly done", I called.

 

"Ok", she shouted back. I heard the doorbell go off... I wonder who it was. We don't usually get visitors. "Zelo, come downstairs. One of your mates came", who is it? Can it be Yong Guk? Did he come to apologize? I ran down the stairs thinking it was him but slowed down when I noticed it was Jong Up.

 

"Oh, hi Jong Up. What brings you here?" I asked, disappointed.

 

"Were you expecting someone else? You seem down to see me", he frowned.

 

"Nono, come on in", I invited but he didn't move.

 

"Actually Zelo, could we maybe take a walk along that park?"

 

I looked at my mum and her smile widened. She nodded and I went outside with Jong Up. We walked towards the swigs. "So, what is it Jong Up?"

 

"Uhm, how am I supposed to put this?" he sighed. "Zelo, I've liked you from the first time I saw you. From the first time you came to our school.

 

Because of you, I've gone through a lot of pain. Zelo, I like you. Could you come to graduation with me?"

 

I didn't know what to say. I was literally speechless. I never knew Jong Up had feelings for me. I wanted to tell Jong Up the truth about Yong Guk but I couldn't find the strength to. "I will come to graduation with you, Jong Up. However, I will give you the answer about whether I like you or not then. Do wait for a reply even if it isn't what you want to hear. I just need some time to think everything through", I whispered before walking towards my house.

 

"I'll wait", his voice called after me.

 

I couldn't believe it. Why would Jong Up like me? I don't have anything special. Do I? If I do then why can't Yong Guk see it too? I just wanted to sleep.

I woke up the next morning from a nightmare. I didn't know what happened in it but it was definitely wasn't a good dream. I decided to have a shower so I walked into the bathroom with my towel. I stood there whilst letting the memories of yesterday flow back into me. I came out put some rough clothes on then finished packing. I'm going London tomorrow. I hope I forget everything that happened in the past and look towards a brighter future. I still had to give Jong Up a reply.

 

I finished lunch, went upstairs and looked out of the window. It's a scary world out there. Even though I know London and have been there before, I still don't know what fate has in its hands for me. I hope it's something good.

 

The time ticked 7 and I started to get ready. I quickly pulled my tux on and just on time I hear the doorbell. It's probably Jong Up or Him Chan. I invited Him Chan because he said he didn't have anyone to go with. I opened to see them both; they looked at me and smiled. I gave them a warm smile back.

"Ok guys, let's go!"

 

"Let's go!" They echoed in union. I giggled and we got the taxi to school where the graduation was held. I walked in to see Yong Guk with Sunggyu. I looked away as fast as I could.

 

The party started and Jong Up dragged me away to a side. "Zelo, are you ready to give me an answer?" He said.

 

I swallowed, "Jong Up, I'm leaving for London tomorrow".

 

"What? You're leaving? You're not going to come back?"

 

I nodded slowly, "Yeah I'm leaving and ain't going to return.”

 

"Why? Is it because of me?"

 

I shook my head.

 

"Then why?"

 

"I like someone else and that person rejected me so I think it's best if I don't return. I was about to go there for the holidays and return but then that person broke my heart so I decided to settle in London! I hope you understand.”

 

"You like someone else?" Jong Up's expression darkened.

 

I felt really bad. I didn't mean to hurt him. I nodded, "I'm Sorry". I was about to touch his arm but he waved me off.

 

"Don't touch me", he ran in the distance and I saw Him Chan running after him.

 

I guess my day at graduation is over. I'm just going to leave... I was about to walk through the door but someone called my name. I didn't know who it was, I couldn't tell. I just felt at faint because of everything that happened. Everything went black...

 

I woke up to see myself in my room. "Honey, you're awake?"

 

I nodded, "What happened mum?"

 

"I will explain everything on the way to the airport tomorrow. Just get some rest, darling."

 

I just nodded and went into deep sleep again.

 

I woke up the next morning and started to change into some new clothes. I'm going to London! My mum explained what the doctor said about my health. Apparently, I have low blood levels due to stress.

 

When we reached the airport I saw Jong up and Him Chan waiting there with flowers. They were smiling at each other like a couple would do.

"Why do you two look so happy?" I asked curious.

 

"I'm sorry for running off like that Zelo", Jong Up apologized. "I realized my feelings for you were just mere attraction and my feelings for Him Chan was what they call Love", I laughed.

 

I was really happy for the both of them. I looked at Him Chan. "I told Yong Guk the time you'll be leaving yesterday at graduation but he just ran off somewhere".

 

I frowned. "Well, I guess this is goodbye then", I hugged the both of them byes and started walking towards the entry. I kept looking back but there wasn't any sight of Yong Guk. I guess he ain't coming.

 

I walked in, following my mum. We sat beside each other but didn't talk. I plugged my headphones in and laid my head on my mum's shoulders.

We arrived after a long journey. My mum unlocked the door of our new house and saw letters on the floor. "Oh, look honey. We got letters before we even move in." My mum smiled. "Oh, there is one for you, darling".

 

"It's probably from my old friends", I said with a dull face. I left the letter on the table and went to wash. I came out with my Pjs and sat on my bed. I looked at the letter that lay there untouched and began to read.

 

Dear Zelo,

I'm sorry I've been rude to you for the past few years. Do you want to know the reason? It’s you. Because of you, I realized what love actually meant. Because of you, I went through a lot of pain. Because of you, I thought you liked someone else! Because of you! Because of you! I never knew you liked me. Only after Him Chan explained everything and the way you acted the other day... I came to realize that you did. I like you too. I know it's late and you are probably in London now. I also know you're going to staying there forever; just know that it's because of you I changed and I that I love you. I will explain everything in detail when I finally get to meet you... I hope that day comes sooner than most. I wish you good luck at your new school.

I love you.

Love,

Yong Guk.

 

Tears were running my eyes as I read the words over and over. I was so stupid and thick not to realize what Yong Guk was going through. I guess I will never see him so might as well forget everything and live as if I didn't see the letter.

 

The summer holiday passed and I was about to walk into my new school... "Hello, you must be Zelo?" The teacher asked and I nodded with a bright smile. "Class, may I have your attention please? We got two new students from Seoul today!" Two? But I'm the only one standing here... "They are both from the same school", what is this teacher talking about? "This is Zelo and that by the door is Yong Guk", she concluded. I turned to the door at the word 'Yong Guk'. I stood there speechless my feeling that I've buried inside of me was blossoming back out.