Five

Between You and Me

  Sunday arrived rather quickly.

  Key would have liked to say that he was calm and collected about the whole thing, but the truth was quite the opposite. Several years back, he and Woohyun were inseparable. They had known every single detail about each other – then the future got in the way and they burnt out. Holding a second chance in hand, Key was nervous.

  And if Woohyun haven’t changed, then Key guessed that he wasn’t very cool at the moment.

  A sigh escaped his lips as he held up two shirts. On one hand, the pink shirt was new and comfortable as hell, but on the other…well, he didn’t want to seem so outgoing on the (sort of) first date. It was a secret fear Key hid in his heart – that Woohyun had less than brotherly feelings for one of his band mate’s. The thing was: Key wasn’t even suspicious at first.

  But the way Woohyun had been acting the past few days was perhaps an indication. Why he asked Key out was a question that led to several answers. Anyway, back to the point. Said band mate was different compared to Key. Rather than a flamboyant, playful guy, he leaned closer to a man who carried others along –

  And that thought made him scared.

  So he pulled out the gray shirt and a pair of jeans. He didn’t look bad (he never did, and as arrogant as that may sound, it was only true); whether Woohyun liked it was a whole other issue all together.

   Beep

  His phone buzzed loudly, and Key looked under the mass of clothes he had thrown around earlier to find for it.

.

To: Key

From: Woohyun

Where are you? I’m here already :(( Did you forget about me? //sobs

.

  A brief glance at the clock made Key jump in shock. He had taken too long to change. Like, way too long. They were supposed to meet at 10 and it was already 10.15… Panicked, he typed: I’m sorry! I lost track of time!!!

  Then he stuffed his phone into his pocked hurriedly and was off.


  By the time he reached the café, 10 minutes had passed and he was panting hard. As he took in large gulps of air, he patted his hair down distractedly, walking through the door, scanning around for Nam Woohyun.

  …but he couldn’t.

  Not when two hands were covering his eyes.

  “Guess who?” A loud (and cute) voice sang in his ear happily. Unconsciously, a smile found its way to Key’s face. Only Woohyun would be so childish as to pull something like that.

  “Hm,” Key said, slipping back into the past. “Is it Dongwoon? Are you Dongwoon?”

  Woohyun dropped his arms just as Key turned to face him. Pouting, Woohyun whined, “Why don’t you recognize my voice? And you’re the one who’s late. Do you like Dongwoon that much?”

   Key rolled his eyes. Woohyun and Dongwoon always found something to argue over – about each other, what’s more. It wasn’t like he didn’t complain about them…but those two just had to pick at each other all the time.

  “You know I like you better –“ The statement wasn’t so much of a lie. He felt differently towards Dongwoon: for Dongwoon, it was a brotherly affection. Woohyun, however, brought on deeper secrets to dig at him. “– so why are you asking about it, huh?”

  Finally, a smile slipped onto Woohyun’s face. He grabbed ahold of Key’s arm and pulled them in, dragging the both of them to a secluded corner at the back.

  Taking notice of Key’s confused look, he explained. “The fans will see us together, and it’ll be kind of odd. You know what I mean?”

  And Key did know what Woohyun meant, although it irked him a bit. He was one for attention and greedy eyes, but Woohyun’s lifestyle made it impossible for that. Not only that, though – Key knew his friend better than he understood himself, and it was a fact to him that Woohyun would never show off, as important as it was to him.

  “It” in this case was Key himself.

  But it was alright, for now at least. All he wanted and needed was right in front of him in the form of Nam Woohyun.

  “Yeah,” he answered with a smile, sitting down quietly.

  “I’ll go get the stuff for us, yes? I guess you still want the same thing as you did last time?” Woohyun asked playfully. When Key nodded – surprised that he remembered; this was evidently not a strong point of Onew’s – Woohyun left.

  Key watched as his date put on a hat and queued up, careful not to reveal his identity to the other customers when his phone vibrated.

  And again.

  And again.

.

To: Key

From: Unknown Number

Where are you? Onew doesn’t know where you are and he’s panicking because he thinks someone might have stolen you away or something because you’re pretty and all that, you know? Please reply quick.

.

To: Key

From: Unknown Number

Not that I don’t have confidence that you can’t take care of yourself because you probably can and I don’t think anyone will kidnap you or something I just need to know where you are. The house is descending into madness. Reply!!!!

.

To: Key

From: Unknown Number

I mean like you’re pretty and handsome but yeah.

.

To: Key

From: Unknown Number

Btw this is Jonghyun.

.

To: Key

From: Unknown Number

Like I’m not accusing you or anything but are you ignoring me if so please stop.

.

  As much as Key wanted to sigh of frustration at the stupid chain of messages, he couldn’t help but let out a chuckle. He didn’t want to admit that Jonghyun was amusing to him, but that guy was honestly hilarious, even when he wasn’t trying to be.

  “Who’s that?” Woohyun’s voice came from behind. Balancing a tray of two coffees and a plate of cake, he peered down onto the screen.

  Expertly, Key typed a quick reply (“at a café tell Onew not to worry”) and placed his phone in his pocket. “Onew wants to know where I am.”

  Woohyun sat down across him and laughed. “Still the same then? You forget to tell him everything and he’s paranoid?”

  “Well, according to Jonghyun, he thinks I’m kidnapped.”

  “Are we talking about Kim Jonghyun from SHINee?”

  “Yep,” Key said, raising an eyebrow as he wrapped his hand around his drink. “Do you know him personally?”

  Woohyun cut a tiny, tiny slice of cake for himself and shook his head (way too quickly). “No? I mean, no. We’ve met but not personal.”

  And it was right in front of Key’s face: Woohyun was lying. But why, exactly, he didn’t know. Anyway, he didn’t like it – he didn’t like the fact that Jonghyun (the careless, blunt idiot) may have corrupted Woohyun (the sweet, childlike boy).

  As if he didn’t have enough reasons to hate his cousin’s band mate, right?


Hello! It's been a long time since I last updated - I'm sorry! Anyways, it's the first day of Chinese New Year and I've been visiting my relatives homes so I was in the mood to finish this chapter because lately I keep wanting to write sadder stories.

I hope you enjoy this update :) Also, happy new year to those who celebrate!