One

Between You and Me

  “Key is coming over tomorrow,” Onew reminded them while he played with the phone, “You remember him, don’t you, Taemin?”

  Taemin smiled brightly and nodded enthusiastically, “I like him! He’s really nice! But he acts like I’m a little child incapable of doing any work at all….,” he added sadly, pouting indignantly.

  Snorting, Jonghyun muttered, “So why is he coming over anyways? Shouldn’t you tell us, seeing that we are actually, I don’t know, living here too?” Onew looked up from the modern device and glared at the younger. “Kim Jonghyun. You better be good to him. Even if you hate him to the end of the Earth.”

  “Are you trying to imply something?” Minho asked. If it had been anyone other than Minho, Onew would have been offended. But, well, it was Minho, and Minho had obviously been only curious, unlike Jonghyun. Honestly, Jonghyun would be much less grumpier, much happier, if only----

  “You should get laid, hyung,” Taemin snickered at Jonghyun. Rolling his eyes, the older (and shorter) sneered at Taemin. Onew sighed at the immaturity of his band mates before shaking his head at Minho. “Don’t worry Minho. He’s really cool.”

  “Hmm,” was the reply he got. Onew could hear the “Are you sure?” in his voice, but he was not going to address that.

  “Or I can try to lure Onew’s precious Key to get into bed with m---“

  “Kim Jonghyun!” The leader shouted, banging his palms onto the wooden table, causing a strike of pain to shoot up his arm, although he didn’t show it. “You are not going to do your nonsense on Kibum! And you!” he turned to Taemin, “Don’t give him any ideas!”

  The three of them stared at him, annoyance showing clearly on their faces.

  "It's not like it will mean anything anyway," Jonghyun muttered, "Just one time..."

  "Isn't that even worse?" Onew screeched, dropping his phone onto the floor in anger. Almost immediately, he gasped and knelt onto the ground to examine his phone.

  The screen had cracked into half.

  “I need pills….,” Onew mumbled miserably, “Pills….”

 


 

 Dongwoon stood in the middle of the almost empty train station, tapping his foot impatiently. It was midnight, he was tired and he wanted to sleep.

   But Key was his best friend, and “If you’re my best friend, Dongwoon, you’d come over and wait for me to arrive. After all, what if I lose my way? Or if I get hurt? It will be so late at that time!”

  It wasn’t that he was weak-willed, it was just that….well….Key could be very persuading when he wanted to be. It didn’t help that Dongwoon had a small crush on the pretty boy. Honestly, was it even legal to look that good?

  ...Obviously yes.

  They had known each other since they were children, and sometime in between Dongwoon somehow fell. He once thought they could live with a happy ending, but life came in. He was young and desperate, what could he do? Choosing the life of an idol was a choice he made. Being an idol came with many limitations and being with a boy was one of them.

    And although they were still close, there was just a very little chance for them to be together. Very little.

  “Dongwoon!” A familiar voice shouted, and even before he could look up, he was being hugged. Smiling, he petted his friend’s blond hair.

  He looks good blond.

  “Key! You’re finally here,” Dongwoon sighed, “I thought I was going to die!”

  "Don't exaggerate," Key giggled.

  Is he for real...?

  "Now can you drive me to Jinki hyung's place?"


 

 

  "It's one, hyung," Jonghyun groaned, "Must we really stay awake to greet someone we haven't met before?"

  "Jonghyun...," Onew hissed. Jonghyun was getting on his nerves. When did he start being so annoying? “Shut it.”

  The main vocalist threw a dark glare at the leader and huffed.

  Oh right, he had always been like that.


 

 

  Silently, Dongwoon drove them to the SHINee dorm so as not to wake the sleeping blond up. He remembered when they were young and would have sleepovers. Every night before he fell asleep, he would take time to stare at his best friend’s peaceful face.

  Call him creepy, but that was what he did.

  Finally, he stopped in front of an apartment. He got out and was about to shake Key up when he hesitated. Key had to be very tired after the long train ride…it wasn’t good if he woke him up…

  The things I do for you…

  ­­­­­Dongwoon picked Key up carefully. The boy was surprisingly light, even lighter than most girls he had came across.

  “What floor is it,” he mumbled, “fourth? Fourth?”

  After thinking hard for a moment, he nodded.

  “Yes. It’s level four.”


 

 

  "Why isn't he here yet?" Onew worried, wringing his hands, "Why isn't he here yet? Oh gosh, what if he got lost? Or hurt? It's so late!"

  Shaking his head, Taemin massaged his temples. Their hyung was such a...an umma sometimes. Worrying about every single thing. Key hyung was obviously capable of taking care of himself and anyway---

  "Didn't you say a friend would bring him here?" he asked.

  "Yes, but...but," Onew stuttered.

  Shut it, Minho's glare said. 

  "But nothing. Now sit down and stop being so...urgh." Taemin interrupted. Seriously, Onew. Seriously.


 

  Ding...dong...

 Onew scrambled up and hurried to open the door. Jonghyun and Minho stood up at the same time to catch a glimpse of Onew's "precious cousin".

  Oh, was Jonghyun's first thought, well.

  Dongwoon was leaning against the doorway, carrying a boy in his arms, and judging Onew's expression, that was Key. And Key was definitely not what Jonghyun had expected. He thought, maybe someone who looked more like Onew...

  And Key was...pretty. 

 Jonghyun's second thought was: Dongwoon? Why was Dongwoon, of all people, with Onew's cousin? The Son Dongwoon, maknae of Beast, known for being distant?

  "I'll hold him," Onew said quickly, "Give him to me. You don't have to do this –"

  "Don't worry hyung. He's very light. He eats too little, seriously." Dongwoon replied, “You have to remember to feed him okay?”

  With that, he walked in and placed the blond onto the couch. Jonghyun’s eyes followed the younger boy’s movements. Somehow, he felt an urge to push Dongwoon away from Key. He didn’t want Dongwoon to be anywhere near Key.

I don’t make any sense now.

Kim Jonghyun, what is wrong with you? You’ve met the guy for like, what? 1 minute? And the guy is asleep. Are you high?

“I’ll leave now,” Dongwoon muttered. He stared at Key for a moment, his dark eyes softening before he smiled tightly and bowed to Onew.

 


 

  The door slammed shut.

  Onew had always known that Dongwoon had a slight crush on his cousin, and it seemed as though, he still did. He had been prepared to “protect” Key from Dongwoon, but he had seen the way Jonghyun looked at Key.

 Oh. Well.

 He could be scary when he wanted to be.

 Really.


 

Okay. So that was a crappy first chapter. Yes. I spent such a long time to write this thing. You may wish to unsubscribe?

I don't deserve you nice people.

Still, thank you to: keyutipiethestrangelittlegirlAlmightyMeeCutieexzakiakhanDrawMyLife16MomoKomoBummieBabysheila19921nedy90saico_yeojavampireme12ricekk6670ShortBecauseImAnElfkeyy143TkeChanRawrmaze-berrykettyjellycakes012 and ARUFAx for subscribing!

If you find any mistakes or holes or something that needs to be edited, please tell me! Please comment and tell me how I can do better!