Suspicions Start

Two Best Friends

 

Hyuk Jae POV:

“Yesung Hyung! Have you heard from Dong Hae? You haven’t seen him? He didn’t call you? His phone is with me. NO! No! Don’t tell Hee Chul Hyung! Please I’m begging you! He’ll kill me if he finds out that his favourite dongsaeng went missing at night! Just let me know if he contacts you. Okay. Bye.”

I put down the phone. Aish where was Lee Dong Hae? He could have taken the bus back but he should have been home by now. He obviously didn’t hijack my car. I brought it home. He didn’t even have his phone so how the heck was I supposed to contact him and figure out where he was? It was almost one in the morning!

Suddenly Dong Hae’s phone buzzed. I quickly picked it up. The screen lit up to show one new message. I clicked on it and the password screen popped up.

“Aish! What’s the password? His birthday,” I wondered typing it in. “No, that’s not it. Maybe, my birthday? No. His student ID? No? Aish! Wait… maybe?”

I punched in the next guess I had for the password. This would be the last try before the phone would lock itself up. I closed my eyes and pressed enter. The phone beeped once before the message popped up.

“Aha! So your password is my student ID,” I said grinning at the phone before checking the text. “Who’s this text from? What? Puppy Eun?”

From Puppy Eun:

Oppa. You got home safely, right? You should be home by now. Don’t be sad anymore oppa. <3 <3 Goodnight!

I read the text two more times before throwing the phone on the couch. I scoffed. Who else would Puppy Eun be other than Jae Eun? Why was Dong Hae meeting up with Jae Eun in the middle of the night anyways? I quickly pulled out my phone.

“Yah! Lee Jae Eun!” I shouted when Jae Eun picked up the phone. “Do you know what time it is?”

There was silence on the other end of the line.

“Yah! Why aren’t you answering?”

“Maybe because I was wondering why you’re calling me at one in the morning and yes I know what time it is.”

“Why else would I be calling you? What’s wrong with you?”

“What’s wrong with you oppa?”

“Yah! Don’t avoid the question!”

“If you asked me a coherent question I would, no wait, I could answer. Or maybe if you actually asked an actual question period.”

“Why are you meeting up with Dong Hae in the middle of the night? I know he’s a family friend but even that has its limit! Why are you still awake anyways?”

“I would hardly call 9 o’clock that late and he’s the one who showed up at home. Besides he only stayed up for 5 to 10 minutes. I had homework. Is it a crime to stay up and do homework every once in a while?”

“Why did he go home?”

“I’m not telling you.”

“Yah! Tell me right now or I’ll hang up.”

“Okay goodnight.”

“Wait! Wait! Just tell me.”

“If you’re so curious just go ask him instead of bugging me,” said Jae Eun before mumbling the end to herself. “But I doubt he’ll tell you.”

“What did you say?”

“Nothing.”

“Wha… never mind,” I said trying to calm down. “That’s not the problem. Dong Hae’s not even home yet.”

“He’s what?” Exclaimed Jae Eun so loudly I had to jerk the phone away from my ear and hold it at an arm’s distance. “Where in the world is he? Did you try calling him?”

“His phone is at home,” I said cautiously bringing the phone closer.

“Then what are you doing? Go look for him right now! Call me when you find him,” said Jae Eun before cutting the call. A message showed up on my phone a few seconds later.

From Jae Eun-ie:

If you don’t find him, I will disown you. What kind of a best friend are you anyways? Aish!

I grimaced and grabbed my coat. If I didn’t find him, she’d probably try to. Pocketing the keys, I opened the door. In the process I nearly tripped over a pair of legs as they stretched out next to the door.

“Yah! What the?”

I looked down to see that a pair of legs slightly bent at the knees, hands shoved in between the thighs as if to keep the cold at bay. I bent down to get a better look at the face that was covered in a large blue scarf. I slowly pulled the scarf away and sighed.

Dong Hae shivered and pulled his knees closer while trying to find a comfortable place on the wall for his head. His head drooped further and further.

“Oh… oh,” I muttered before catching his head and sitting down next to him. I placed his head gently on my shoulder and watched as Dong Hae’s whole body curled towards me. I smirked. Pabo. I smiled as I ruffled his hair, completely forgetting my anger and worry.

- - - - - - o - - - - - -

Dong Hae POV:

I frowned when I felt a hand ruffling my hair. I slowly opened my eyes and shrunk back from the glare of the tube lights. Where was I? I suddenly realized I was very cold. Feeling something warm near my face I moved closer to it, closing my eyes and breathing in slowly.

“Are you awake?”

My eyes opened at the voice coming from the warm thing next to me. I slowly tilted my head up to see Hyuk Jae looking down at me. My eyes grew wide as I pulled away from him as fast as I could. I pulled my scarf closer and stood up only to have to stretch out an arm to the wall to steady myself.

“What are you doing here?” I asked trying to see him through my sleep blurred vision. I felt dizzy from my sudden movement.

“I think I should be asking you that,” said Hyuk Jae standing up and folding his arms.

“Just go back inside,” I said pointing to our apartment door.

“I would have been in there sleeping peacefully if you hadn’t been missing.”

“I wasn’t missing.”

“Then why were you asleep outside of the door? Do you know what time it is? It’s one in the morning and you still hadn’t come back home! You left my house around nine. Where the heck were you all this time?”

“None of your business,” I said getting irritated.

“It’s my business when you didn’t meet me in the spot we agreed to meet and all I find is your phone behind a bush,” said Hyuk Jae pulling my phone out of his pocket. “Then after that you go MIA for the next few hours and no one knows where the heck you went.”

“You were late.”

“Then you should have called me to let me know something at least. Do you know how worried I was? Jae Eun was worried too. She even threatened to disown me if I didn’t find you!”

“Good for you,” I said sarcastically trying to move past him to the door. I didn’t want to talk anymore. I could already realize that I was cranky from sleeping outside the door and I realized I would probably regret this conversation pretty soon.

“Yah!” Exclaimed Hyuk Jae angrily shoving me back. “What’s wrong with you?”

I staggered back. My shoulder stung from where Hyuk Jae had pushed me. I suddenly lost it.

“What’s wrong with me? What’s wrong with you?” I asked loudly shoving him back. “Why don’t you just go back to your girlfriend and leave me alone. If you name a time make it there. If you’re going to be late then be very late. Stop confusing me.”

With that I shoved past him and opened the door to our apartment. I didn’t bother looking back. I slammed the door to my room shut and locked it.

- - - - - - o - - - - - -

Hyuk Jae POV:

It was early when I woke up. I slowly opened the door to my room. I saw Dong Hae’s door. It was closed. Happy I opened my door fully only to find Dong Hae starting to eat his breakfast. I blinked, when did he wake up? When did he start eating by himself? He hates that.

I quickly hurried and took a bowl out of the cupboard before filling it with rice from the cooker. I sat down and slowly took out my chopsticks before glancing at Dong Hae. He continued eating like I wasn’t even there. Seeing Dong Hae reaching for the kimchi, I quickly pulled it closer to me, just a little out of his reach. I cleared my throat.

“Do you need the kimchi?” I asked taking some for my own rice.

Dong Hae didn’t answer. He just reached for the egg rolls instead.

“Did my mom say anything about bringing more kimchi? We’re almost out.”

Still no answer.

“Yah,” I said tapping my chopsticks on my bowl. “Someone’s trying to talk to you.”

Finally Dong Hae looked up at me. He looked annoyed.

“What’s wrong with you? Do you know how hard I’m trying here?” I asked. At least I had his attention now; I kept talking. “Your moodiness is going to completely ruin my morning.”

Dong Hae narrowed his eyes before slamming his chopsticks on the table and standing up quickly. For a second, he looked like he was going to say something. Then he quickly turned around, grabbed his bag and walked away.

“Yah! Where are you going? You didn’t finish your food! It’s your day for the kitchen work!” I exclaimed. Dong Hae slammed the front door shut on his way out. “Yah!”

I quickly stuffed some more rice into my mouth before dumping the bowl into the sink. I quickly put the rest of the food back into the fridge before grabbing my bag and running out. I ran to the car and looked around for Dong Hae.

“Aish. Don’t tell me he already left!”

I got into the car and started it. I started on our route to the school.

“Lee Dong Hae, where did you go?”

I scanned the roads. Then I spotted him. He stood with his hands in his pockets. His headphones covered his ears but he seemed unmoved by whatever was playing. I slowed down and watched as the bus approached the bus stop. Dong Hae climbed on. The bus started moving and I weaved through the traffic to catch up.

When the bus arrived close to the school, I quickly went in front of it. I needed to find a parking space before Dong Hae went too far. It seemed like luck was on my side. I found a place and ran into school. Spotting Dong Hae ahead of me, I slowed down to a brisk walk and guessed I that I would catch up to him in a minute or two.

“Oppa!” Exclaimed a voice loudly.

I took my eyes off Dong Hae to spot Jae Eun stand up and wave… at Dong Hae? I glanced back at Dong Hae to see him give Jae Eun the first genuine smile since yesterday. He slowly lifted up his hand and gave her a small wave. Then, as if I was watching a drama, Jae Eun ran forward and wrapped her arms around Dong Hae’s neck. And Dong Hae, Dong Hae hugged her back!

“What the?”

I felt an odd feeling surge through me. What was Dong Hae doing hugging Jae Eun like that? When had they gotten close enough to do that? They weren’t kids anymore. I felt like going over to them and pulling them apart. Before I could move, Jae Eun pulled away from Dong Hae.

“Oppa, are you okay? Yesterday, you really didn’t look so well. Then you had to fall asleep outside in the cold didn’t you. Omo, did you catch a fever?” Asked Jae Eun putting her hand on Dong Hae’s forehead. I stood rooted to the spot at the motion. “You do! Thank goodness I thought before hand and got you medicine.”

Jae Eun pulled out medicine and a water bottle out of her bag.

“Here,” she said putting the medicine in his hand before opening the bottle and giving it to him. Dong Hae smiled at her again before eating the medicine.

“You should take care of your boyfriend like this,” said Dong Hae handing Jae Eun her water bottle.

Wait! When did Jae Eun get a boyfriend? Who is he? Where is he?

“You know I don’t have a boyfriend, Oppa.”

“You will soon if I have anything to say about it,” said Dong Hae grinning and putting his arm around Jae Eun’s shoulders. The two started walking away from me.

Yah! Where does he think he’s putting his hands? I quickly started walking forward.

“Mm, right! Did you tell Hyuk that I went to your house last night?” Asked Dong Hae stopping.

I quickly made a u-turn and hid behind the nearest thing I could find. Thank goodness for the bushes that dot our campus.

“No. He called me to ask why I was with you late at night.”

“That’s odd. Then how did he know that I went to your house?”

“I don’t know,” said Jae Eun after a moment’s pause. “Wait. Give me your phone.”

Dong Hae took out his phone, unlocked it and handed it to her. Jae Eun took out her own phone.

“Look!” Exclaimed Jae Eun showing both the screens to Dong Hae. “I sent you a text and then a few minutes later he called me.”

“But my phone was locked.”

“Well he obviously figured out your password.”

It was very easy, I thought to myself. To be honest, it was kind of obvious.

“Wait,” said Jae Eun suddenly lowering her voice. “What if he read my other texts to you?”

Other texts? What other texts? I strained to hear what they were saying.

“If he called you right afterwards, we wouldn’t have had time to read the other texts,” said Dong Hae taking back his phone.

“Just change your password, please? If he sees anything, we’re dead.”

“Wait. Why would I be dead?”

“Because,” said Jae Eun leaning in; I moved closer. “You’re my partner in crime. Do you think he’d let you live?”

Dong Hae slowly shook his head.

What? Partner in crime? Just what the heck was going on? What were they doing? Why was I supposedly going to kill them? Why was Dong Hae even scheming with my sister anyways? Why was he in a bad mood in the first place? Why was he talking to Jae Eun instead of me his best friend?

“Yah! Just what do you two think you’re up to?” I exclaimed standing up.

I blinked. Both of them were gone.

“Aish!” I exclaimed glaring down at the bush. “Why didn’t you tell me that they left while I was thinking?”

 

------------------------------

I'm sorry my dear subscribers. Because I was moving to a new house, I didn't have internet and couldn't upload this chapter even though it was finished. At least because I don't have internet, I don't go roaming around endlessly and have managed to write some more but I haven't finished editing it yet. I will try to update soon! :P

And Please please please subscribe and comment! It makes me very happy :D