Meeting Someone New

Two Best Friends

 

3rd Person POV:

It was a relatively uneventful evening. The apartment building was filled with the small quiet ongoing of most of the occupants. Everything seemed content.  Suddenly a scream pierced the air, disturbing the peace. The other occupants just rolled their eyes and put in earplugs out of habit or just plain turned the TV louder.

“What did you just say?” Asked Hye Si fuming.

“You heard what I said,” said Min Jae irritated as he flung his bang unto the couch. “She’s his sister. End of story.”

“Ugh!” Shouted Hye Si stamping her feet. “That little… she… she…”

“Tricked you,” finished Min Jae lying down on the couch.

“And Hyuk Jae! He’s been using her to make me jealous! I knew it!” Exclaimed Hye Si clapping her hands in excitement. “He’s still obsessed with me! Why else would he do that? Maybe I should sed-“

“Yah! What about me?” Asked Min Jae sitting up. “I’m your boyfriend.”

“Of course you are. It’s not something serious,” said Hye Si sitting down next to Min Jae. “I’ll just play with his emotions a bit. I’m only getting back at them for trying to make a fool out of me. It seems only right. After all, what ever did I do to them to make them act this way?”

Min Jae put his arm around Hye Si’s waist. “Then you wouldn’t mind if I go after that sister do you? I have a feeling that it’ll get that Lee Hyuk Jae to start spewing fire. After all, they were making a fool out of me by making fool out of you.”

“Well, we really do have similar thoughts,” said Hye Si pulling Min Jae closer. “Maybe you should scare her out of her wits. Teach her that she can’t mess with us and get away with it.”

Hye Si started to lean back into the couch, tugging at the front of Min Jae’s shirt to pull him down.

“I know we have similar thoughts,” said Mi Jae grabbing her hands and pulling her back up. “But until you finish that project of yours from last year, the one that the teachers won’t get off your back for and get your grades up, you know, perks of being my boyfriend are off limit.”

Smirking Min Jae got up from the couch and walked into his bedroom. Hye Si scowled.

- - - - - - o - - - - - -

Jae Eun POV:

Goosebumps were starting to form on my arms. I shivered, but not from the cold. Maybe it had just been my imagination but it felt as though someone was watching me.

Ever since Dong Hae had called me to tell me to watch out for Min Jae last night, I had become jumpy. Why did Yoona want to meet at this time in the morning? I turned to look behind me for the hundredth time.

I was so focused on what was behind me that I forgot to look ahead. I squeaked as I ran into an opening door and fell on my bum feeling quite dazed. There was a second thud as something heavy fell next to me.

“Oh! Are you okay?” Asked a concerned voice.

I blinked before focusing on a hand in front of me. Grabbing it, I pulled myself up and found myself staring into a pair of large warm brown eyes framed by slightly wavy black hair.

“Are you okay?” The boy asked again, this time softly.

“N… ne,” I stuttered my hand in mid-air when he let go. I slowly, reluctantly put my hand down.

 “That’s good,” said the boy smiling before picking up his bag from the floor. “I’ll see you around.”

With that he turned around and walked away. I felt rooted to the spot as I watched him leave. I continued to stare after him even after he had turned the corner.

“Yah! Lee Jae Eun!” Shouted Yoona pulling my arm.

“Huh?” I asked feeling like I had come out of a daze. I looked at Yoona. When had she gotten here?

“I’ve been calling you like crazy. Did you seriously not hear me?”

“Sorry,” I said blushing as Yoona linked her arms with mine and started walking. “I was just thinking about… something.”

“Whatever, come on. Soo Young said that she was waiting at the cafeteria.”

I nodded even though I was only half paying attention to whatever she was saying. Mentally I was kicking myself for not even asking his name before he ran off or at least telling him what mine was. Why in the world did I completely freeze up? I sighed; I didn’t know anything about him. I didn’t even know if I’d see him again.

“So, just wondering, what were you even doing outside of the ‘Field and Track’ boys’ locker room anyways?”

- - - - - - o - - - - - -

Dong Hae POV:

I spent most of my day trying to keep Hyuk Jae calm. He still hadn’t calmed down after yesterday’s events. In light of that, I decided that Hyuk Jae needed a distraction. Once again, my attempt to take him out yesterday failed thanks to a certain jerk. Today, today I would accomplish it, hopefully?

“Let’s go,” I said grabbing my coat impatiently. Hyuk Jae grumbled as he walked out of his room, adjusting the sleeves of his coat.

“Where are we going again?” Asked Hyuk Jae grabbing the house keys.

“I want to get strawberry ice-cream,” I said smiling brightly. Well, I did. I didn’t have to mention the rest of the plan right? The rest of the things that would come after the ice-cream could be kept secret.

“Then why did you ask me to get dressed?” Asked Hyuk Jae glumly.

“It’s strawberry ice-cream! Strawberry! It’s always worth getting dressed for!”

By the time we got to the ice-cream parlour and had ordered our ice-cream, Hyuk Jae was already in a better mood. He was smiling again. He even gave the waitress a smile. I frowned when she started blushing.

“Come on Hyuk,” I said walking out of the parlour without looking back.

“Where are we going now?” Asked Hyuk Jae rushing to catch up.

“Nowhere. We are going to roam. It’s a nice night out,” I said casually before taking a bite of my strawberry ice-cream. I smiled content.

“You’re smiling like an idiot,” said Hyuk Jae before eating his ice-cream.

“You are too!” I exclaimed pointing at his face with my spoon. Hyuk Jae laughed, his eyes bright.

“We should do something,” said Hyuk Jae happily after a few moments of comfortable silence.

“We are doing something.”

“I mean, we should hang out with some people.”

“Really? You sure?” I asked trying to remain calm. Inside I was grinning like an idiot. Everything was going according to my plans.

“Maybe we should ask Hee Chul Hyung, Yesung Hyung or Si Won if they want to do something.”

“Actually, they’re busy tonight,” I said nonchalantly.

“With that?”

“You know the Sophomore Dance Major who’s top of his class?”

“Oh Henry. Yea, he’s pretty good even though he’s an exchange student. Doesn’t he also take the violin or something?”

“Yea, how’d you know that?” I asked confused before continuing. “Anyways, his birthday was today. So he’s having a birthday party and invited most of the Dance Majors.”

“What are we not good enough to be invited, even though we’re the top of the entire school?” Asked Hyuk Jae turning a little red.

“Oh no, don’t worry,” I said trying to reassure him. “I just told him that we weren’t up for it. You didn’t look like you were going to up to go for it so I just thought...”

“Sure I was,” said Hyuk Jae pouting slightly.

There was silence as Hyuk Jae continued pouting. Meanwhile, inside my head, I was shouting ‘take the bait! Take the bait! Come on! Just a little more!’ I could see him thinking through it. I tried not to outright stare at him and watched him out of the corner of my eye.

“Hey, it’s not that late. Why don’t we go?” Asked Hyuk Jae.

“Sure, if you want to. We could just go wish him or something. Pop in say hello,” I said focusing on finishing my ice-cream. The moment Hyuk Jae turned around to head back to the car I did a little happy dance.

“You coming?” Asked Hyuk Jae turning back. I pretended like nothing had happened just a second ago.

“Yea! Just a second,” I said putting the empty ice-cream cup inside a trashcan before catching up with him feeling quite satisfied.

- - - - - - o - - - - - -

Hyuk Jae POV:

I felt a little out of place once we got to the party. I hadn’t been to a proper party in years. Hye Si wouldn’t let me go to any without her and the ones usually she went to ones were everyone tried to get drunk, now that I thought about it.

Dong Hae on the other hand moved through the crowd effortlessly. I knew he was outgoing but I didn’t realize until now how much I had been missing. People loved Dong Hae and he always had a smile on his face.

The party was different too. People weren’t just trying to down the nearest alcoholic beverage or make out with something. They were playing games, chatting, eating actual food and having… fun.

I should have realized what Dong Hae had been planning all along. The moment he casually brought up the party that Hee Chul Hyung, Yesung Hyung and Si Won were at. I don’t know why, but I decided that since Dong Hae was trying so hard, I should try and be cooperative too right?

“You’re Lee Hyuk Jae-ssi, right?” Asked a girl. I nodded. “I’m Jung Mi Kyung.”

“Nice to meet you,” I said trying to be friendly.

“Wow, you really do look nicer up close,” said Mi Kyung inching closer. “Your shirt must be branded. Where did you get it from?”

“Excuse me?” I asked feeling uncomfortable. “Did you just ask me-“

“Mi Kyung!” Exclaimed Dong Hae suddenly next to me again. “Nice to see you and all but I do need to ask my best friend something.”

With that Dong Hae pulled me away.

“Who was that?” I asked confused. “Why was she-“

“Hye Si’s newly recruited groupie,” said Dong Hae with a firm grip on my arm. “I suggest we stay away from her.”

Twenty minutes later Dong Hae pulled me away from yet another girl.

“What’s wrong with this one?” I asked.

“Nothing,” said Dong Hae.

“Well the first one was Hye Si’s groupie. The second one was already dating someone. The third one, you didn’t like because of her dancing. The fourth one apparently has a bad temper. What’s wrong with this one?” I asked frustrated.

This was Dong Hae’s idea! He wanted me to move on from my past but every time I talked to a girl, he kept dragging me away. Not to mention his reasons were starting to grow a little strange.

“She hates strawberries. I can’t let you go out with a girl like that,” said Dong Hae.

I tried not to laugh out loud.

“She,” I said trying to calm down. “She doesn’t like strawberries. Where did you hear that from?”

“Hee Chul Hyung. She apparently threw them away when eating the birthday cake,” said Dong Hae glaring back at the girl. “The poor strawberries. You like strawberries too!”

“Aigoo,” I said ruffling his hair. “Alright, just for you and our strawberries I won’t talk to her. Happy now?”

“Ne,” said Dong Hae finally giving me a smile.

“Dong Hae Sunbae,” said a girl running up to us.

“Ne Hyo Yeon,” answered Dong Hae.

“Hee Chul Oppa’s calling you.”

“Oh really?” Dong Hae asked. “Wonder what happened now.”

“He said something about his drink.”

“Oh! Stupid, I told him I’d get him a new one,” said Dong Hae looking down at the empty glass in his hand. “I’ll be back in a minute Hyuk. I don’t want to keep the Princess waiting.”

“Yet again he forgets what’s in front of him, it was right in his hand too,” said Hyo Yeon turning to me. “You really must be special.”

“Excuse me?” I asked confused. “Special? Me?”

“Dong Hae Sunbae hardly ever forgets anything like that, unless he’s preoccupied by you. He really cares for you,” said Hyo Yeon. “How long were you two friends?”

“Since we were in elementary school. What about you?”

“I met him when I was a freshman; he was a sophomore. He’s the best Sunbae in the whole school. Oh, I’m Kim Hyo Yeon by the way,” said Hyo Yeon smiling as she put out her hand.

“Lee Hyuk Jae,” I said shaking her hand.

“I know. All Dong Hae Sunbae ever does is talk about you,” said Hyo Yeon. “It already feels like I know you somewhat.”

“I seem to be at a disadvantage,” I said wondering if Dong Hae actually did talk about me to his other friends. I was his best friend, but I hadn’t really been around that much due to a certain ex-girlfriend of mine. I felt a bit guilty.

“So what does Dong Hae say about me?” I asked curiously, leaning forward.

“Nothing. Absolutely nothing,” said Dong Hae showing up. “Right Hyo Yeon?”

“Sunbae, you always talk about him,” said Hyo Yeon without hesitation. Dong Hae pouted; I smiled.

“Just a second,” said Dong Hae to Hyo Yeon before grabbing my arm and pulling me away.

“Now what Hae?” I asked.

“Nothing,” said Dong Hae. “Let’s go home. We’ve stayed here long enough.”

“What? Is there something wrong with her too?”

“No,” mumbled Dong Hae quietly after a moment’s pause.

“Good,” I said smiling. “Let’s stay here a bit longer. I’ll come find you later.”

- - - - - - o - - - - - -

Dong Hae POV:

I watched Hyuk Jae walked back to Hyo Yeon. He smiled as he offered to buy her a drink. I scowled. I knew that Hyo Yeon was a good person and maybe she was the person that would let Hyuk Jae put his past behind him. I suddenly felt jealous and I didn’t know why.

Maybe it was because once again, Hyuk Jae was on the verge of having a new girlfriend. He was the better looking one and the better dancer. Why didn’t I have a girlfriend? I tried to reassure myself saying that I had to focus on school. I had enough trouble taking care of Hyuk Jae. A girlfriend would just add to the stress. Suddenly I felt my phone ring in my pocket.

“Ne Jae Eun-ah,” I said picking up the phone, plugging the other ear so I could hear her. I felt Hyuk Jae staring at my back at the mention of her name. “Oh, just wait a minute. Let me go some place quieter.”

 

--------------------------------------------------

I'm back!!

*wince* Please don't hate me! I'm sorry my beloved subscribers. My laptop went to get repaired and then I went off fangirling and watched like a bunch of dramas that I had been meaning to watch. And then... I neglected my poor subscribers. I'm sorry. Please forgive me. I will try to update more often.

Anyways, I hope you like this chapter.... the games have begun! Jealousy is starting to begin! Oh Eunhae...