Heartbreak

Two Best Friends

Dong Hae POV:

Hyuk Jae had been acting weird for the past few days. He could never hide anything from me, especially since he was my best friend. We’d known each other since elementary school and I knew it would only be a matter of time before he told me or I figured it out.

That evening when I got back from an extra dance practice I walked into our apartment to see Hyuk Jae running around in a… suit? I knew immediately before he even told me. My excitement to spend time with him this evening disappeared. I dragged my feet as I walked forward.

“Hae, I think tonight’s the night,” said Hyuk Jae a sparkle in his eye and a wide smile on his lips.

“For?” I asked feigning innocence and throwing my bag onto the couch.

“I’m going to ask Hye Si to marry me.”

I raised my eyebrows.

“I know we still have a year to graduate from college but…” said Hyuk Jae. You want confirmation, I thought. “I want confirmation even if the wedding doesn’t happen until after we graduate.”

I understood my friend better than anyone else, including Hye Si, especially Hye Si.

Hyuk Jae had fallen for Hye Si the first day of college. As much I didn’t like or approve of Hye Si, I couldn’t convince Hyuk Jae. There was something that made me suspicious of her but I stopped bugging Hyuk Jae when I realized how sad he became seeing his girlfriend and best friend fighting.

At first Hye Si ignored Hyuk Jae. That was only until she found out that he was rich and in an instant she was all over him. Hyuk Jae was too happy to have her to realize anything but I knew better than to trust her.

Not to mention that she stole most of his available time. It just made it harder to convince him that he was wrong about her. Lately all it had done was just create tension so I hadn't brought up the subject myself, until now.

“Hyuk, are you sure this is what you want?” I asked suddenly.

I don’t know, but all of a sudden I had a bad feeling.

Hyuk Jae paused for a moment before nodding slowly a small dreamy smile on his lips. He picked up a bouquet of flowers before heading towards the door. I grabbed his arm.

“Hyuk,” I said. “I don’t think you should do this.”

“Hae, what’s wrong with you? Get off,” said Hyuk Jae pulling his arm away angrily. “I don’t want to be late.”

I grabbed his arm again. I didn’t know what it was, but I felt like I shouldn’t let him go. I sent a pleading look in his direction. Hyuk Jae just got angry and pulled away from me.

“What’s wrong with you Hae? I thought you were okay that Hye Si was a part of my life too,” said Hyuk Jae roughly. “I’ll talk to you later. I’m not going to be late.”

With an angry look in my direction Hyuk Jae walked out the door. The bad feeling wouldn’t go away but trying to convince Hyuk Jae was pointless. I could tell he was going to be headstrong about this.

Trying to shake off the feeling I sat down on the couch and after a moment, turned the TV on.

- - - - - - o - - - - - -

My stomach was growling when I woke up. The TV was still on. I checked the clock: 8:14.

I groaned and sat up. When had I fallen asleep? Maybe it was because of the paper I stayed up to finish last night. I had felt sleepy in class too. Again my stomach growled.

I opened the cupboard and pulled out some ramyun. I should have made myself dinner but I was too uneasy to concentrate on making a proper food. I didn’t like eating alone so after a two bites I instinctively pushed the ramyun away.

I kept staring at the clock. Time seemed to move so slowly. Even the TV didn’t distract me. That bad feeling just wouldn’t go away.

Suddenly I heard noise outside the door. I stood up as Hyuk Jae opened the door.

“Hyuk?” I asked slowly.

Hyuk Jae slammed the front door shut and walked quickly to his own room. He didn’t even look at me once and slammed the door to his room as well. Worried, of course I went after him.

“Hyuk?” I asked knocking softly on the door. He didn’t answer.

I slowly opened the door. Hyuk Jae was sitting with his face in his hands.

Silent tears were sliding off his face. I felt my heart lurch. I should have never let him go. I should have tried to convince him even if he was going to be stubborn. I sat down next to him and put my arm around him, hoping to comfort him.

Barely above a whisper he finally said, “She was cheating on me.”

Even though he was older than me, he broke down in front of me and cried. I sat there holding him close unable to say anything.

Inside I was seething with anger. How could Hye Si have cheated on my best friend? My best friend, who was now breaking down in front of my eyes. The best person I had ever known.

I wanted to yell at that stupid . She had used my friend. I wanted to beat up the guy she was seeing. But most of all, I was angry at myself; angry that I couldn’t stop it. I had seen it coming. I knew that something was wrong but I had failed my Hyuk.

Hyuk Jae cried until he fell asleep in my arms. I slowly put him down on the bed. I took off his shoes and covered him with a blanket. Satisfied that he was asleep, I curled myself in a chair by the foot of his bed. From now on, I was going to protect my Hyuk just like he had protected me.

- - - - - - o - - - - - -

Hyuk Jae POV:

I woke up as the sunlight started to appear through the curtains. I closed my eyes again; they hurt.

*Flashback*

“If you can’t finish it’s alright,” I said eager to finish dinner.

“Good. I could never finish this,” said Hye Si motioning to the waiter.

The waiter looked at Hye Si with disgust as he took away 8 unfinished, hardly touched and expensive dishes. I didn’t notice being too busy signalling another waiter. The second waiter nodded and walked forward with a small box.

“What’s this?” Asked Hye Si. She crossed her arms; she hated surprises.

“Open it,” said I said excited.

Hye Si undid the bow and took off the wrapping. She stared down at the small box.

“Omo. Is this?” Asked Hye Si looking up me.

I stood up and knelt down in front of her. Taking the box I opened it.

“Shin Hye Si, will you marry me?” I asked looking up at her expectantly.

I felt hopeful as she leaned forward. I smiled as she looked at the ring. Hye Si pulled it out of the box. My smile grew bigger and my heart swelled. She held it up to the light.

“Why is the diamond so small?” Asked Hye Si. I blinked in surprise. “Couldn’t you have at least tried to get an expensive looking ring?”

“You… don’t… like the ring?” I asked.

“No,” said Hye Si putting it back into the box and giving it to me. “Min Jae said he’d get me something like this for our four year anniversary.”

I slowly got up from the floor feeling a little confused. “Min Jae? Four year anniversary? Mwo?”

“You know… Oh Min Jae. The transfer student.”

“The transfer student?” I asked slowly backing up, still feeling somewhat numb.

“Yea, also my ex-boyfriend well now boyfriend I guess. Well I decided to get back together with him a month ago. He said that he’ll let me break the new to you,” said Hye Si standing up. “So I guess we’re over now. I was going to ask you get me something better than what Min Jae was offering but it looks like I don’t need you anymore.”

With that she walked out.

I stood rooted to the spot, shocked. In an instant it seemed like rose-colored glasses had been pulled off my eyes. How could I have been to blind to the truth?

 

I felt my heart stop and then it seemed as though someone had grabbed it and squeezed it very hard. I grabbed the table to balance myself and a waiter immediately advanced towards me concerned. At the same time, I felt as though I had been kicked in the stomach. 

“Hae was right,” I whispered to myself.

*End of Flashback*

I opened my eyes and sat up. Hae.

The kid looked like he was going to fall out of the chair any minute. What was he doing in my room anyways? Then I remembered. I had fallen asleep on him, even though I had gotten mad at him and left earlier.

“Are you mad Hae?” I whispered softly. As if he heard me Dong Hae stirred and opened his eyes.

“Hyuk!” He exclaimed excitedly and immediately got up from the chair.

The only thing he forgot was that sleeping like that, his legs weren’t ready for certain movements, such as walking and supporting his body weight. His arms flailed wildly as his legs lurched from underneath him and he grabbed the first thing he could find for support: my shoulders.

I was nowhere near ready and exhausted from crying myself to sleep last night. I fell backwards onto my bed with a shouting Dong Hae clinging to me.

“Owwww… my legs,” moaned Dong Hae into my neck.

“Yah! Get off me you pabo fish,” I shouted surprised as his lips tickled my neck. “Y… you… you’re… heavy… ow.”

Dong Hae quickly pushed himself up using his hands.

“Sorry Hyuk!” Dong Hae looking down at me with wide eyes.

I felt crazy but in the morning light Hae’s eyes looked almost beautiful. His face was so close I could see the little different coloured specs of brown in his eyes. I tore my gaze away.

“Yah! Fishy get off me,” I said struggling to get up.

“I can’t,” said Dong Hae suddenly.

“What? Why?” I asked trying not to look at him.

“My legs fell asleep,” said Dong Hae pouting.

I stopped struggling and collapsed on the bed. This kid!

 

---------------------

Okey dokes! My first chapter for my first fanfic! I feel excited.

Anyways, I don't have much experience writing fanfics like this but I hope you like it. ^^

Please, please comment and let me know what you think. It would be a huge help to me so that I know what you guys think. :) And please subscribe to the story!

Oh yes and please do feel free to dislike Hye Si, I know I do.

Oh and thank you for the few subscribers I already have! You make me very happy and I did like a happy dance when I saw. :P