My Handsome Best Friend

Two Best Friends

 

Dong Hae POV:

Although exams had basically finished we still were forced to attend classes. Things like holiday homework were passed around. But most of it was free time as the school wound down and seniors got ready to graduate.

Even though both Hyuk Jae and I were Dance Majors, there were some other classes that we had to take to graduate such as English. It was also the only class that Hye Si was in with us. Usually Hyuk Jae sat with Hye Si while I sat with Hee Chul Hyung, another dance major.

Today when we entered the class we quickly spotted Hye Si sitting with Min Jae. Before he could react, I had grabbed Hyuk Jae and made him sit with me. Almost immediately my phone vibrated in my pocket.

From Hee Chul Hyung:

Yah Fish! Why are you ditching me? :(

I quickly replied and looked up. Hee Chul was glaring at me. Getting my reply he looked away to check it.

From Hae Fishy:

Sorry Hyung. Something came up. Look to your left.

Hyung looked at me again before looking towards his left. At that precise moment Hye Si was clinging to Min Jae’s arm while pouting. Hee Chul turned around with a disgusted look on his face. I got his reply a few seconds later.

From Hee Chul Hyung:

That is disturbing. Wasn’t she doing something similar to Hyuk Jae just on Friday?

Hyuk Jae. I turned to look at him. He sat looking straight ahead pretending like he didn’t see anything. I knew what he was doing. Even if it killed him, he would keep all his pain locked up.

I turned and glared at Hye Si. Oblivious, she continued pulling on Min Jae’s arm. 

It was plain to see that she was stupid. She spent more time on her looks than actually seriously studying. She would blatantly flirt with guys and Hyuk Jae would turn a blind eye saying that she was just friendly just like Dong Hae was.

Dong Hae would scoff at that. Yes he was friendly but even he knew the limits to being friendly. Clinging to another person's arm and attempting to snuggle with them in front of Hyuk Jae; that was just plain stupid. Well, one thing was true. Only something as stupid as that would be able to harm something as good Hyuk Jae.

By the end of the day most of the school that cared knew. There were a range of reactions.

Girls got upset that Min Jae was now dating but cheered that Hyuk Jae was single again. Some guys were upset that Hye Si had been “taken” so fast. Others, friends of Hyuk Jae, were disgusted.

The whole time I stayed with Hyuk Jae. I was constantly talking to him to make sure that he didn’t focus on Hye Si. I made sure no one broached the subject of Hye Si around him. I glared disapprovingly at girls who stared at Hyuk Jae.

As much as I wanted to be with Hyuk Jae at all times, I knew it wasn’t going to happen. It was evening and soon we both had our own dance practices to go to.

Seniors in our major were partnered with different juniors to showcase their talents at the Senior Farewell. Seniors took it very seriously and with only two more days left, Seniors resorted to practices that lasted until dinner.

“Hae,” said Hyuk Jae.

“Ne,” I answered.

“Go on. I told Min Seo Noona that I’d pick her up from gym. Han Kyul Hyung is probably waiting for you,” said Hyuk Jae pointing to the dance studio. I put my hands in my pocket and looked up. I opened my eyes wide trying to look cute.

“I’ll… drop you off at the gym first.”

“No, it’s fine. Go on,” said Hyuk Jae.

I pouted. “Please Hyukkie?”

“Yah! Get going!” Exclaimed Hyuk Jae swinging his book at my arm. I ducked and scrunched my nose at him before running away. I heard him laughing loudly behind me, I smiled.

- - - - - - o - - - - - -

Hyuk Jae POV:

I watched as Dong Hae ran away from me. He stopped at the door of the dance studio. Turning around he waved excitedly before going inside. I was about to turn away when he stuck his head out again to wave enthusiastically one final time.

I smiled and waved back reassuringly. His thin lips spread in a wide smile before he finally went in. I shook my head and smiled to myself. That kid was too cute for his own good.

I sighed. Dong Hae had spent all day trying to get me not to think of Hye Si. He cracked jokes and constantly stayed by my side. He was the only thing I focused on and if he hadn’t I probably would have just sat quietly the whole day.

I had noticed Hye Si in class pulling on Min Jae's arm. I noticed it the moment we entered the classroom. I felt rooted to the spot when I saw how quickly she had let go of me, throwing me aside like an old toy she had gotten bored of. 

I saw the new ring she sported on her finger knowing it was from Min Jae. It definitely was more extravagant than the engagement ring I had bought her. I had hoped she would understand my liking for simplicity and that the ring was just a symbol of my affections for her.

Seeing her in that fraction of a moment, I knew I had been stupid and blind. Maybe it was better for her to be with Min Jae, someone who threw his money around and wasted it on useless things. I just wished that it wouldn’t hurt as much as it did. 

Dong Hae seemed to know me inside out. He didn’t even have to see my face to know what I would be thinking about or what I wanted. He had grabbed my wrist and pulled me to sit next to him, the first time in years.

I had sat down displaying an emotionless face even though I was dying on the inside. I had wanted to shut my eyes and disappear. The only thing stopping me was the gentle touch of Dong Hae’s knee touching mine under the desk.

Whether it was accidental or not, warmth seemed to flow from that spot to the rest of my body. Despite everything, I knew that Dong Hae was there. He was there with me and that made everything else okay because he was my best friend.

“Thank you Hae,” I said walking away.

- - - - - - o - - - - - -

~2 MONTHS LATER~

Dong Hae POV:

The last two weeks of summer vacation, my uncle decided that he wanted to take me to America with him for business. As fun as it was, I had to leave Hyuk Jae behind, with whom I had spent every day that summer.

When we got back, it was the day before school started again. It was late at night when our flight touched down in Seoul so I didn’t get to meet Hyuk Jae until the next morning.

“We’re early not late Dong Hae. Stop panicking,” said my uncle looking up from his work.

I couldn’t help it. I had missed Hyuk Jae. To be honest, this was the first time that I had been away from him for this long. Even though it cost a lot, I called him at least once in two days.

“Oh Dong Hae, I’ll take your stuff to your apartment after my meeting finishes.”

I nodded and continued my countdown until we reach school. I willed that the driver would go faster. The car had hardly pulled up to the school when I opened the door.

“Careful Dong Hae! Send Hyuk Jae my greetings!”

“Ne Uncle,” I said bowing politely before running as fast I could.

I stopped in front of the dance studio building. Hyuk Jae said he would meet me here. I looked around. Why was he late? There was a tap on my shoulder. I turned around.

“Oppa,” said Lee Jae Eun, Hyuk Jae’s little sister, giving me a small wave. “Anneyeong.”

“Jae Eun-ah!” I exclaimed and pulled her into a quick hug. “You cut your hair and got a fringe! You look pretty.”

“Thank you!” Jae Eun said smiling up at me happily. “Hehe… you should see what Hyung did to his.”

“He cut his too? Where is he anyways? He’s late,” I said frowning.

“He’s busy getting rid of his fan girls I think,” said Jae Eun pursing her lips.

“What?” I asked confused.

“That way,” said Jae Eun turning me around.

I tried to see what Jae Eun was talking about. All I saw were a bunch of girls. What was so special about that? Then out of the crowd stepped forward one figure.

His once dark brown hair was gone, replaced with strikingly blond hair. Time seemed to slow as he walked towards us. The light breeze ruffled his hair as he adjusted his backpack over his shoulder. It seemed like a glowing being was walking towards us. Seeing us, he smiled.

My heart seemed to stop at the sight. I felt light-headed.

“Oppa,” said Jae Eun giggling. I nodded slowly. “You’re gawking.”

“Yah, Hae. What are you staring at?” Asked Hyuk Jae reaching us and waving his hand in front of my face.

“N…nothing,” I said coming to my sense and trying to hold back the blush that was creeping into my cheeks.

I looked up awkwardly at Hyuk Jae, still stunned at how handsome my best friend had gotten.

- - - - - - o - - - - - -

Hyuk Jae POV:

I hadn’t planned on dying my hair but Jae Eun had insisted. When those stupid girls followed me, I was started to regret it. I had spotted Jae Eun and Dong Hae and walked towards them.

Dong Hae was definitely surprised, his beautiful brown eyes wide. He wouldn’t stop staring at me and at the same time I couldn’t stop staring back. I couldn’t help but think that his little trip to America had made him look better.

I had missed him so much, even if it had been for two weeks. I had the strongest urge to hug him, but I hung back wondering what he’d think.

“Aigoo,” said Jae Eun breaking the awkward silence by stepping in between us. She linked her arms with ours. “Let’s get away from these fan girls shall we?”

With that she dragged us both away.

- - - - - - o - - - - - -

Jae Eun POV:

I held in the urge to laugh. Both my Oppas looked at each other like lovers that were being reunited after years of separation. They wouldn’t stop staring at each other.

I think Dong Hae Oppa’s reaction was the best, even gawking at my brother. Even I had to admit, Oppa looked good. Of course, I had been the one who insisted. If only Dong Hae Oppa knew I had done this just for him.

Now, all I had to do was to get rid of the pestering girls and maybe, just maybe, my Oppas would realize they were perfect together. But then again, that was wistful thinking.

When the two wouldn’t stop staring, of course I had to step in and intervene. They’re so cute! If I hadn’t I’m pretty sure the two would have kept staring at each other and missed all their classes. Not that i would have minded.

 

------------------------------------

Hello! :P

Second chapter update!!!! Finally Lee Jae Eun comes into the story. And I'm sorry to those of you who don't like Hye Si, but she will be appearing quite a few more times not that it makes me like her any better, quite the opposite.

Thank you to all of you who subscribed. I am really thankful to you and you made me very very very happy. :)

And please comment to let me know what you think! For an author comments are some of the best things to get from readers. :P

Anyways, I am off to sleep now.