Missing

Two Best Friends

 

Dong Hae POV:

I put the papers inside my bag and slung it on.

“Thank you,” I said bowing slightly to the receptionist before heading out of the double doors from the university’s main office.

“Did you get it?” Asked Jae Eun practically pouncing on me as I walked out the doors.

“Maybe,” I said shrugging, trying not to smile.

“Oppa!”

“Okay, I got it,” I said stopping and opening my bag.

I could see Jae Eun practically ready to dive into my bag. I took my time as I pulled out the papers slowly. Jae Eun immediately snatched it away from me. A smile spread on her lips as she looked through the papers.

“So tell me. Why did you want the entire list of all of the guys in the track and field major and their profiles?” I asked curiously.

“No reason,” said Jae Eun looking away.

“If you don’t tell me,” I said grabbing the papers back. “I’ll just take these back then.”

“Oppa! No!” Exclaimed Jae Eun trying to get the papers which I held high above my head. “Please. Give them back!”

“Just tell me.”

“I can’t,” pouted Jae Eun crossing her arms. “You’ll just tell Hyukkie.”

“I won’t.”

“You always tell him everything.”

“I promise I won’t tell him anything,” I said pretending to zip my mouth closed.

“Fine. Promise?” Asked Jae Eun sticking out her pinkie finger. I wrapped my own pinkie around it smiling at her childish ways.

“Promise,” I said giving back the papers. It took a second for Jae Eun to shift through the papers before she gave one to me.

“Second one on the list,” she said pointing.

“Choi Min Ho,” I said reading off the paper. I raised my eyebrows. “The track and field team vice-president?”

“He’s the vice-president? I didn’t know that. Wah,” said Jae Eun dreamily bringing her hands together underneath her chin as her eyes grew wider. I snapped my fingers in front of her face. She glared at me.

“What?” She asked.

“Since when did you know him?”

“I don’t know him.”

“Then, what’s with the day dreaming?” I asked poking her forehead. She rubbed at the spot.

“I met him yesterday,” said Jae Eun getting dreamy again. “He saved me.”

“Oh,” I said understanding. “Crush?”

“It’s not just a crush,” said Jae Eun glaring at me again. “It was meant to be. It has to be fate. All the signs were there.”

“Signs?” I asked confused.

“You know. Your heart skipping a beat or speeding up. Time seeming to stop,” said Jae Eun trying to explain. “Those endless eyes which you could stare into for hours at a time because of how beautiful they are.”

“Those are signs?” I asked quirking an eyebrow.

“Of course.”

“Yah, no way,” I said shaking my head. “That can happen any time. Those are just weird random moments when your mind plays tricks on you. It just means you’re tired.”

“Omo!” Exclaimed Jae Eun suddenly pointing a finger at me. “They happened to you too!”

“Me,” I almost squeaked. “No. Nope. Never happened.”

“Don’t deny it Oppa! It’s written all over your face that you’re lying! I always know when you’re lying!” Exclaimed Jae Eun excitedly. “Is it someone I know?”

“No one. There is no one. Anyways, what class do you have first?” I asked trying to get off the subject.

“Hyukkie Oppa?”

“NO!” I exclaimed almost shouting trying to fight a strange urge to blush. “That would be just… no! Just No!”

“Why?”

“He’s my best friend and a guy on top of that!” I exclaimed.

“So?”

“What do you mean so?” I asked trying to bring my voice down when I realized I was basically shouting. Thank goodness it was early morning and not a lot of people were around.

“If you love someone that should be enough.”

“I don’t love Hyuk. I mean, I do but as a best friend. Nothing more.”

“Then how come you’ve never had a girlfriend and all you ever do is take care of Hyukkie or me depending on the occasion?”

“I don’t have time for a girlfriend. I have too much to do. A girlfriend would be a distraction to school.”

“Or maybe you could just admit that you already are in love with someone but just haven’t confessed to him because you’re afraid of rejection or maybe you just haven’t realized it yet,” said Jae Eun her arms crossed, shaking her head sadly.

I stood her through her monologue, my mouth slightly open, shocked by her wildly imaginative and wrong conclusion.

“Yah!” I exclaimed leaping forward and pinching her cheeks with both hands. “Little brat.”

Jae Eun let go of her papers in surprise. They fluttered to the ground as she tried to duck away from me. I laughed at her antics which caused her to try and reach for my face. I ducked and turned to run for it when she grabbed the only thing in her reach, my bag. Both of us fell to the ground laughing when I got off balance.

“What are you two doing?” Asked a voice from above us. I looked up to see Hyuk Jae looking down at us with what looked like a mix of confusion and anger on his face.

- - - - - - o - - - - - -

Hyuk Jae POV:

What was going on? One minute, I spot Jae Eun and Dong Hae talking normally. Then the next moment both of them had somehow ended up on the ground. Dong Hae looked a little embarrassed and Jae Eun looked scared to see me there.

“Uh,” said Dong Hae looking up at me.

Suddenly Jae Eun was moving quickly and picking up the papers that were lying on the ground. When I reached down to pick one up, Dong Hae quickly snatched it away and gave it to Jae Eun before helping her pick the rest up.

“When did you get to school?” Asked Dong Hae slightly out of breath reaching for the last piece of paper.

“Just now,” I said feeling uncomfortable, like I had intruded somewhere I shouldn’t have. “I woke up and realized that you’d already left. Why’d you come to school so early?”

“I was just get-“

“Oh, I asked him to come to school early to help me with something,” said Jae Eun interrupting as she put the papers into her bag. “Right Oppa?”

“Right,” said Dong Hae awkwardly.

“Anyways, I have to go,” said Jae Eun putting on her bag.

“You’re going?” I asked. “Already?”

“I’ll see you later,” said Jae Eun walking away. Suddenly she stopped, ran back and whispered something in Dong Hae’s ear.

“What did she say?” I asked as I watched Jae Eun leave.

“Nothing,” said Dong Hae, clearly lying before walking towards our first class. “Coming?”

“Coming,” I said as Dong Hae turned away.

I stood there for another second as I shrugged away an odd feeling before catching up to Dong Hae.

- - - - - - o - - - - - -

Jae Eun POV:

“But I’m hungry,” pouted Soo Young.

“Aish. You and your hunger pangs,” said Yoona rolling her eyes.

“Yah!” Exclaimed Soo Young. “I’m older than you. Don’t talk to me and my stomach like that.”

“See! She always uses her age when we don’t go with her,” said Yoona pointing to Soo Young. I tried not to laugh.

“It’s okay,” I said trying to be serious. “Yoona, why don’t you just go with her; I’ll wait here. We don’t want the ahjumma to get hungry.”

Yoona giggled.

“Yah! I’m not an ahjumma,” said Soo Young pouting.

“Just go already,” I said laughing as I pushed the two towards the cafeteria.

“We’ll be back to stalk your boyfriend as soon as possible,” Yoona shouted over her shoulder.

“Yah!” I exclaimed looking around for anyone who could have heard what Yoona said. I breathed out a sigh. No one except another student with headphones was within shouting distance. They didn’t seem to be interested at all.

I sat down on an empty bench. The track and field practice would start soon. By then, hopefully, Soo Young would have gotten her food and they would be back. I didn’t want to look like a creepy stalker. If Choi Min Ho thought I was a stalker, he probably wouldn’t talk to me.

“So you’re Hyuk Jae’s little sister.”

Startled I looked around. Not many people knew me as Hyuk Jae’s sister and none of them would refer to me as anything other than Jae Eun.

“You don’t look anything like him,” said a red haired boy.

I instantly knew it was Oh Min Jae. The clothes, the attitude and his followers. I had only seen him once before and it had been more of a glance. Up close, he was definitely scarier; he just gave off an aura of something bad.

“Are you sure you’re his sister?” Asked Min Jae. “You’re too pretty for that.”

“Of course I’m his sister,” I said trying to stand my ground as Min Jae walked closer.

“Good, it would have been bad if you weren’t,” said Min Jae stopping inches away from me. “I heard that you studied abroad. Don’t girls like that like adventure?”

“So?”

“Why don’t you come with us? It’ll be fun,” said Min Jae reaching up to finger the sleeve of my shirt.

“I think I’ll pass for today,” I said backing up.

“I don’t think I’m taking no for an answer.”

“You’ll have to for today,” I said picking up my bag.

“I wouldn’t have done that,” said Min Jae suddenly moving forward trying to grab my arm.

Leaning back out of his grasp and losing my balance, I feel. Min Jae smirked as I winced from my fall. Why the heck was no one around? Why was I thankful that no one had been around earlier? Anyone would do!

“Yah! What do you think you’re doing?”

I blinked. I knew that voice. Suddenly someone from behind me grabbed a hold of my arm and I was pulled to my feet.

“I’m pretty sure that the usage of this field is not meant for your low activities,” said Min Ho with restrained resentment. I slowly turned my head to look up at him. I had to slightly turn my face away as the sun peaked out from behind him stinging my eyes. He was glaring down at Min Jae. Yes down at him.

“You think you’re going to stop me by yourself? You?”

“I don’t have to,” said Min Ho pointing to the field. The rest of the team had come out from the locker rooms. One of his teammates called to Min Ho.

“Don’t think you’re going to get away next time,” said Min Jae before turning around and leaving.

“Are you okay?” Asked Min Ho turning to me. I nodded.

“Good,” said Min Ho. “I need to go practice. Coach will be here soon.”

“Wait!” I exclaimed when I realized he was walking away. “I didn’t get to say sorry for the last time when I…”

“It’s fine as long as you are okay,” said Min Ho before walking away again.

“Eh,” I muttered trying to think of something to say. Just say something pabo! “Um…”

“Jae Eun-ssi,” said Min Ho turning around.

“N-ne,” I stuttered looking up.

“Be careful. Min Jae and his gang aren’t the best of people. Next time… just try to be careful okay?”

“N-ne.”

“I’m going,” said Min Ho smiling before walking away.

“Wait!” I exclaimed again realizing something. “How did you know my name?”

- - - - - - o - - - - - -

Dong Hae POV:

“And then he said ‘I thought I should get to know your name if I want to see you again,’” said Yoona before pointing to Jae Eun. “And then he walked away leaving her in this state.”

I returned my attention to Jae Eun. She sat with her chin resting on her crossed arms. She looked dejected.

“Shouldn’t you be happy?” I asked.

“She thinks the ‘if’ means that he won’t,” said Soo Young looking up from her bag of chips.

I laughed; Jae Eun glared at me. “Jae Eun. Trust me. You’re over thinking it like you usually do. How can you be so smart about everything except when it comes to stuff like this?”

“Really?” Asked Jae Eun looking up at me with hope. “Maybe I was over thinking it.”

“Aigoo,” I said reaching over to ruffle her hair.

“Yah,” said Jae Eun fixing her hair. “By the way. Why are you hanging out with us?”

“Why? Is there something wrong about him hanging out with us?” Asked Yoona. “What’s wrong with hanging out with us?”

“What? You don’t like it when I hang out with you?” I asked curious. I hoped I wasn’t encroaching on their time together.

“No,” said Jae Eun shaking her head quickly. “All I meant is that whenever I see you, you’re hanging out with Hyuk Jae. Recently, something seems off. Did you two get into a fight?”

“No way. We didn’t fight,” I said quickly.

“Then where is he?”

“He’s hanging out with his friends.”

“But you’re his best friend, aren’t you?”

“That doesn’t mean we have to see each other 24 hours a day. Wouldn’t that be annoying?” I asked trying to laugh.

“It never seemed to be a problem before,” muttered Jae Eun quietly to herself.

“What did you say?”

“Nothing.”

- - - - - - o - - - - - -

“Aish… that Jae Eun. Once she gets a sniff of something she just doesn’t let go does she?” I asked myself.

I checked my watch. It was almost 8:30. I still hadn’t had dinner. Hyuk Jae said that he would be here half an hour ago. I sighed before sitting down on the bench. Where did he go? What was he doing that was taking so long? Hearing footsteps I stood up.

“That’s so funny,” said the first voice. “I mean. Who would have thought that Hyuk Jae and Hyo Yeon would have been dating? I always thought she had a thing for Dong Hae.”

Realizing the footsteps were coming my way, I quickly ducked behind the nearest thing I could. Thank goodness for the campus greenery.

“Maybe she was just playing Dong Hae to get close to Hyuk Jae. I mean, they’re pretty close, like too close at times,” said a second voice. “I mean, if they hadn’t been best friends since elementary school it would have been weird.”

“I would date Hyuk Jae,” said a third voice dreamily. “He’s good looking, rich, smart and talented.”

“That’s true. Dong Hae is nice, but I mean, who wouldn’t want to date a rich boyfriend? Hyo Yeon sure must be feeling lucky now,” said the second voice again.

“And I bet you Hye Si is probably going to attempt to seduce Hyuk Jae,” said the first voice. “Seriously, that just needs to throw herself off a cliff or maybe someone could do it and save everybody trouble. Everybody hates her.”

“Are you kidding? Min Jae would kill the person,” third voice. “He’s so scary.”

- - - - - - o - - - - - -

Hyuk Jae POV:

“Goodnight Hyuk Jae,” said Hyo Yeon waving before she left.

I looked around. Where did Dong Hae go? Did he not come yet? I took out my phone and realized it that I was late by an hour. Feeling guilty I pressed my number 1 speed dial. Suddenly I heard Dong Hae’s phone ringing.

Surprised I cut the call. The ringing stopped. I paused for a moment before calling again. I tried to follow the ringing and found myself behind a bush nearby where we had agreed to meet up. Bending down I spotted the light from the phone. I cut the call, picked up the phone and stood up.

It was Dong Hae’s phone for sure. Just, where was Dong Hae?

 

-------------------------

Yay!! Update!

I'm sorry... I'm terrible at author notes. But if you liked the chapter please subscribe and comment! Comments will definately make me want to write more.