In Charge of Hae Hae

Two Best Friends

 

Hyuk Jae POV:

“Shh Hae,” I said pushing him into the wall behind me. I stared into the classroom.

“Can’t we just-” started Hae.

“Shhh. We don’t want to get caught before class is over.”

I looked at my watch. 3… 2… 1… RING!

A few seconds later the doors opened and students came pouring out of the classrooms. Dong Hae and I were immediately stared at. I guess it was pretty strange for anyone else to see. Two well known Dance major seniors were stalking a freshman art class on the first day of school.

Ignoring them, I continued my look out. Spotting my target, I grinned. Unconscious of this they were making their way towards their classroom door surrounded by newly made friends. I tried not to bounce with excitement when they turned in my direction.

“Oppa!” Exclaimed Jae Eun in surprise seeing me. I smiled and waved.

She quickly waved ‘bye’ to her now stunned classmates and ran over. I pulled her into a small hug.

“Want to go to eat lunch with us?” I asked.

“Of course!”

All the way to the cafeteria and through the lunch line Jae Eun talked non-stop about her first day in college. Even when we found a table to eat at she continued attracting stares from many girls. They were obviously wondering who in the world Jae Eun was and how she managed to sit with us for lunch.

“Oppa,” said Jae Eun suddenly stopping. I nodded.

“Isn’t that Hye Si?”

I stopped and slowly looked up. Sure enough it was her. The last time I had seen her she had been making out with her new, well, old boyfriend on the last day of school. It had not been a pleasant thing to have to witness. Dong Hae had to once again to function as my brain and move my body by dragging me away.

I expected to feel a surge of jealousy like I had the day after she had rejected my proposal or at least some pain. I felt disgusted that I had fallen for her and had been so blind to the blatant truth. Even then I did feel a little bit of regret and anger, I was just a guy and I did have my pride too.

Then why did I keep remembering the good things? I couldn’t even remember if they were actually good things or just something my mind made up because I was too blind.

- - - - - - o - - - - - -

Dong Hae POV:

“Isn’t that Hye Si?” Asked Jae Eun loudly. I immediately looked up.

The entire cafeteria became quiet as Min Jae and his group of friends walked in. Hye Si was painfully loud as she complained.

“I can’t believe Teacher Choi got mad at me for texting in class especially since he’s the one who moved me to another seat. I was just so, so bored sitting next to that nerd and I was in the first row. Ew,” said Hye Si clinging to Min Jae’s arm, as usual.

I looked at Hyuk Jae’s face and saw him go blank. Immediately I was worried. I turned to look at Jae Eun who looked at me guiltily.

“Do something,” I mouthed jerking my head in Hyuk Jae’s direction.

Jae Eun panicked as she looked around for a second. I pointed quickly at the bowl of rice in front of her. Turns out I didn’t have to. Jae Eun had had a similar thought and stuffed a spoonful of rice in . She pretended to choke on it.

“Oppa,” said Jae Eun coughing and reaching for Hyuk Jae’s arm.

Hyuk Jae immediately turned his attention back to his sister worried. I quickly put my arm down.

“Water,” she said coughing and pointing to his water bottle. Hyuk Jae quickly grabbed it and opened it for her.

“Are you okay?” Asked Hyuk Jae moving closer to her and patting her back as she sipped it. Jae Eun stopped coughing and handed back the water bottle.

I tried not to smirk when Jae Eun gave me a small smile and winked when Hyuk Jae was distracted. If she wasn’t so good at art, I would have recommended an acting career for her.

“Anyways,” said Jae Eun continuing as if nothing had happened. “I think Soo Young is probably one of the best in our class. She’s not as good as me in black and white sketches though, something about her shading just isn’t right. Oh and there’s this other girl Yoona who is nice.”

Jae Eun continued blabbering and soon people quit staring when they realized nothing was going to happen. Not that they looked away entirely.

On the other hand, I glared at Hye Si and Min Jae. By now both had spotted us. Min Jae treated us with indifference as they walked by. I was used to it, Min Jae thought he owned the school and had authority.

I chuckled at that thought. If only he knew who really owned the school.

Hye Si however was glaring at Jae Eun. Her jealous glare had no effect on Jae Eun though.

I scoffed. Since Jae Eun spent her High School years outside of Korea, Hye Si had never met her in person. I could imagine Hye Si thinking of the worst possible relationship between these two. Even if she had ‘disregarded’ something or someone, Hye Si still liked to think that it still ‘belonged’ to her.

Hyuk Jae’s mother, although polite, had never liked Hye Si and had seen her for the money crazed thing she was. She had been secretly thrilled when she found out that they had broken up. Thankfully, she never knew that Hyuk Jae had even tried to propose. I think she would have had a heart attack.

When Hye Si walked by our table she pretended to bump into our table probably with the intention of gaining Hyuk Jae’s attention. I saw her face turn red when she realized that Hyuk Jae hadn’t even noticed her, even though she was barely a few inches away. She did however notice my glare.

“Leave,” I mouthed making shooing motions with my hand. She rolled her eyes at me and left. She had never had any warm feelings for me and it was mutual. No love was lost in between us. We were both content with that.

I returned my attention to the two sitting in front of me. However, these two, they were among the few people that I would give up everything for.

Hyuk Jae had helped me so many times. Whenever I was having a hard time, he had always been there for me. Now, I could tell that he was having a hard time. I knew that all I wanted to do was to be there for him whenever he needed.

I folded my arms and leaned back in my chair, joining the rest of the people in the cafeteria that watched them.

*Flashback*

“Omma… Appa… come back,” I whispered crouching in the darkness.

I cried loudly coming close to howling as tears rolled down my cheeks. My vision blurred. I cried harder knowing that my wish was never going to be fulfilled. One storm was all that it took to rip them away from me.

The night and the rain closed in around me. I wanted to scream. Lightening lit up the sky and thunder crashed.

 “Hae!” Shouted a voice. “Where are you?”

Panicking, I wiped my tears and tried to push myself further into the corner hoping the darkness would just swallow me up and take me away.

“Hae! Where are you?””

The voice was closer. Footsteps came closer. I closed my eyes; a shudder ran through my body.

“H-Hae,” said the voice filled with concern.

I looked up. Through my tears I could see Hyuk Jae standing above me. His clothes and hair stuck to him as the rain continued to pour down around us.

“Hyukkie,” I whispered tears welling up in my eyes again. “Omma… Appa… they… they’re…”

Hyuk Jae didn’t let me finish knowing that I wouldn’t have been able to. He leaned down and pulled me up off the ground. He hugged me close and I stopped fighting it. I hugged him back as my tears mixed with the rain.

“It’s okay Hae Hae,” said Hyuk Jae softly trying to soothe the fear and pain in my heart. “I’ll take care of you.”

- - - - - - o - - - - - -

“Apparently no one on his mother’s side is alive except for this one uncle who’s barely a few years older than him,” said a classmate whispering behind me. “Maybe he’ll be sent to the orphanage.”

I tried to ignore the voice and kept walking. Within a week, my classmates all knew because of all the teachers fussing over me. I hated the sympathy that I saw in their eyes.

“I heard that no one on his dad’s side even wants him. What a loser…” someone else whispered back.

I hung my head as I felt tears starting to well up in my eyes. Suddenly there was a crash behind me. I slowly turned around.

“Don’t ever… call my friend a loser,” said Hyuk Jae pushing a kid against the wall.

Hyuk Jae gave a warning glare to the other kids who stepped back meekly. He let go of the kid’s shirt slowly and walked to me. Putting his arm around my shoulders, he dragged me away effortlessly.

“I told you I’d take care of you,” said Hyuk Jae smiling at me.

“Oppa! Oppa! Wait for me,” shouted a little girl running up to us. She grabbed my arm on the other side of Hyuk Jae.

“Want to eat dinner at our house?” Asked Jae Eun, her eyes wide behind her glasses. “Please, please Oppa?”

“Of course he’s eating dinner with us.”

“I get to tell mom,” said Jae Eun excitedly smiling widely showing her two missing front teeth.

“I already told mom,” said Hyuk Jae pulling me closer.

Jae Eun pouted. "That's not fair! I wanted to tell mom!"

“I thought I told you Jae Eun. I’m the only one in charge of taking care of Hae Hae.”

*End of Flashback*

 

------------------------------

3rd Chapter is up!!!

Just a little bit from the past. :)

I'm sorry for the slow chapters but they're setting up the story.

And thank you for the subscribers and the comments!!! I was very happy as usual. :P