Chapter 9

Difference

A/N: Hello again! I've finally written a chapter which it's absolutely Nam Woohyun-centred. I wanted to make him a detective, but I ended up making him a prosecutor. I enjoyed Vampire Prosecutor so much and ended up making Woohyun a prosecutor. Nope, he's not a vampire. In this chapter (brace yourselves Myungsoo/L shippers), there is Kim Myungsoo as a detective. I want him to be in this story too. /slaps Myungsoo for ruining my bias list; I love Dongwoo, tbh/ This is the longest chapter - in word count - I've written, but it didn't seem lengthy to me. It's in the third point-of-view and there are only two characters which you'll live in their heads: Jongsuk and Krystal. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy! xxxxxxx ^^

******************************************************************************************************************

Song of the Chapter: Troublemaker by The Koxx

 

 

(Present; 3rd POV)

 

Nam Woohyun dragged himself out of his secondhand car that his father gave to him on his 21st birthday and closed its door behind. It’s the first day of him working as a prosecutor. He was the youngest prosecutor to work in Seoul’s Legal and Prosecutorial Office. He felt proud when he received the letter of acceptance more or less two weeks ago… but not right now.

 

He held his coffee tumbler in one hand and his newly pressed blazer in another. His red backpack kept sliding from his shoulder as he was running. He kept in cursing in his head. His mom woke him up late. His hair was tousled. He skipped bath but wore tones of deodorant and perfume to cover, in case, his body odor. He was a mess.

 

He dashed into his new office and placed his things right on top of his new table – there’s a slick new HP desktop too! But wait, why was he even amazed with it when he was freaking late? – and ran towards the ninth floor where they summoned every new prosecutors recruits there for briefings. Normal s that Woohyun knows of, actually. He read the ‘prosecutors’ manuals’ and still remembered every single word printed on the pages.

 

He opened the door and eyes of new prosecutor recruits and senior prosecutors stared at him. He felt as small as a microorganism that one couldn’t see without a magnifying glass… but he was tall and fit enough for anyone to notice.

 

“You must be Prosecutor Nam Woohyun,” said the mad on the podium, sighing in dismay. Woohyun guessed that man had to be the chief of the chief prosecutor.

 

Woohyun nodded once and took a seat at the last row, next to stern-looking men who were at least ten to fifteen years older than him… but they were still new recruits. He nodded to them politely before he opened the file that was laid in front of him. He peeked to the person who was next to him. Page 18.

 

Throughout the three hours of briefing, Woohyun couldn’t help but to yawn and blackout for a few seconds. It seemed like he was too sleepy for anything right now. He slept late last night, gaming with his new Call of Duty game. It was too addicting, he realized. He shan’t play those for a year from now on.

 

Being a 22 years old young lad who finished school at the age of fifteen, Woohyun surely had done nothing but studying and studying… and playing games at home. He came from a middle-class family but his parents did everything for him as he’s the only son in his family.

 

“That’s all for now,” said the man on the stage. Other people were bustling, getting out of the auditorium. “But I’d like to meet Prosecutor Nam Woohyun.”

 

Woohyun snapped into reality when he heard what the chief of chief prosecutor said. He pointed to himself. Me?

 

“Yes, you,” said the chief of chief prosecutor through the microphone.

 

Woohyun gulped. Great, he had tarnished his own image on the first day of work. Technically, since he didn’t even start working yet. All he did was he was listening to a speech, talk or whatever. He didn’t even pay attention due to his drowsiness. Stupid Woohyun, he blamed himself. The heck you’ve done to yourself for the first three hours of work.

 

Woohyun followed the chief of chief prosecutor’s heels to the tenth floor where all the boards of directors and bosses rooms were.

 

“Sit,” the middle-aged chief motioned to the chair in front of his gigantic table and Woohyun obediently sat and straighten himself in the seat. “I have a special case for you,” the chief suddenly said. His smile was either a sarcastic one or that’s just how he smiled. The chief prosecutor shoved three fat files that were placed on the table to Woohyun.

 

Woohyun can’t help but to stare with awe at those fat files. First day’s first case he had to solve? How about the second day? If he was going to work in this office forever (which looked like it) he had to stay durable to work forever. He needed money for living, so forever and ever it is…

 

“This case had been going on for nearly half a year now and there’s no lead or hint that will lead to the committer. The police department had given up on this case so they transferred this case to us. Most information could be found in the files. The police and coroner department will assist you with your investigation and you could set up your own team if you prefer. I’m giving you a special excuse to carry out this case your own way. Try to close the case even if it takes forever. But if you can’t we’ll have to transfer the case to another prosecutor,” the captain concluded.

 

Woohyun wet his lips. He was nervous enough on his first day but really, he didn’t thought he had to handle such a huge case like this.

 

“Sir,” he began uneasily. “But why me? I’m new here and…” he railed off. He was going to say it’s impossible for him to solving a case that was supposed to be handed to someone who was more knowledgeable than him. Furthermore, he was just three hours old in this office.

 

“You’re being impossible, Prosecutor Nam. You should realize that you are working now and you shouldn’t ask that kind of question,” said the latter. “You’re skilled more than you know.”

 

Oops, wrong move. Woohyun’s gave dropped. “Forgive me of my ignorance.”

 

“I forgive you. Do your work diligently from now on. You have excellent qualifications and we’re delighted you chose to work for us in a government sector,” he complimented.

 

“Thank you,” Woohyun stood and bow. “I’ll excuse myself for now.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Woohyun stared at the newspaper cutting from the files he received. He skipped lunch and meticulously did his work. He was sleepy but he had to force himself to stay awake. He read through the headlines.

 

Homicide toll rises drastically

Killings in neighborhood – Will it ever end?

Four Men and Two Women found dead in only a month

Neighborhood lives in fear

 

Woohyun yawned. Crap, what a case he had to handle. He wondered if prosecutor had this case before him. But seriously: a newbie who is still young shouldn’t handle a heavy case yet. It’s not like I’m going to quit in a few days, he wailed in his mind.

 

No, this could be a practice for me. I can learn how to handle heavy cases instead of those easy ones. I was picked because I’m talented. I’m good at things I do. I shouldn’t doubt myself.

 

“Wake up, Nam Woohyun,” he patted his face. “You’re working now and there’s no time to lose. You’ve been given a task to close a case, so do your best to close it.” He stretched himself and yawned. “And there’s no time to feel sleepy or anything.”

 

His phone rang. Woohyun answered it, regardless of the caller. “Hello?”

 

“Sorry for bothering you, Prosecutor Nam. I’m Kim Myungsoo, the detective from Seoul District Police Station,” said a man on the other line. “I believe that you’re the one who handled the homicide case that had been going on for five months?”

 

“Yes,” Woohyun replied.

 

“You see, Prosecutor Nam,” the latter began. “We may found a new lead for you and I’m supposed to meet you today to initiate you on your new case. Would you come or would I go to meet you?”

 

“No, I would go. I’ll let you know when I’ve arrived. Thank you, Detective Kim,” Woohyun thanked and disconnected the call. He sighed for a moment. This is only the beginning, he told himself. Keep calm… and work. Woohyun pulled his blazer and got out of his office, practically running out of his room. He didn’t even care of the eyes looking at him because he needs keep his head in the game.

 

“Hi, is Detective Kim Myungsoo in?” He asked to one of the men, dressed in a wrinkle-free uniform.

 

“He’s in. Go to the third floor and his office is the fifth door on the left,” replied the police man.

 

“Thanks.” Woohyun got into the elevator and walked through the busy hallway. He knocked the door twice.

 

“Come in,” said a voice from the other side of the door.

 

“Detective Kim?” Woohyun asked. He can’t believe that he was facing a detective as young as him. His eyes looked mysterious and… Woohyun can’t believe but he admitted to himself: Detective Kim Myungsoo is too handsome. He guessed if this man facing him right now had a girlfriend. He must be a kingka in his high school… or maybe a kingka at his college? Nope, maybe he’s a kingka here in Seoul District Police Station. He wondered how Detective Kim’s bosses would respond if they see girls are all over Detective Kim every February 14th. They wouldn’t be happy with what they witness.

 

“Yes, you must be Prosecutor Nam Woohyun,” Detective Kim offered his hand.

 

Wow, you look stunning, Detective.

 

Detective Kim’s porcelain forehead creased. “I beg your pardon?”

 

. “Did I say something?”

 

“You said I looked stunning,” replied the detective. Oh, that was awkward.

 

Woohyun acted. “I said your room’s stunning. Your workplace looks better than mine.”

 

Kim Myungsoo smiled kindly – a sign he was buying Woohyun’s stupid reason. His eyes were pretty. Darn it, Nam Woohyun, you’re a gay now? “Thank you. I bet yours is prettier. Please sit,” Detective Kim motioned to the chair in front of his desk. “So I bet your first day of work isn’t as exciting as it is supposed to be now. You’re handling the hardest case in two decades.”

 

Woohyun smiled tiredly. “It’s now my job.”

 

“So, two nights ago, there was another homicide happened just half a kilometer from a busy road and we found a possible lead. What you need to know about this case is the entire pattern is the same. When I say the same, I meant broken limb, blood drained and corpse looking as white as ghosts… everything was eerie. I’ve seen those corpses and I couldn’t sleep for a few weeks.”

 

Woohyun slightly shivered. He’ll face that. Crap, crap, crap. His parents would either be 1: laughing at him, or 2: would be extra paranoid since he’ll handle an extremely creepy case. This case involved meeting the dead. He’s dead now.

 

“But surprisingly, for the first time, we’ve found a DNA.” Detective Kim pushed a small translucent plastic bag containing few strands of hair. Woohyun took and examined. It belonged to a girl’s, he reckoned. “You should take the file and evaluate it yourself,” the detective gave him an assuring smile. Like I would feel better, he thought.

 

“I have a question, detective,” Woohyun said.

 

The latter nodded, waiting for Woohyun’s question.

 

“I have full power on this case, yes?”

 

Detective Kim nodded. “Yes, you do.”

 

Woohyun bit his lips, holding back a satisfactory smile. He didn’t want this detective in front of him to think he lost his wit or anything. “I can interrogate then, can I?”

 

Detective Kim frowned. “I thought prosecutors do those. They’re kind of alike detectives.”

 

If Woohyun could beam, he would. “Thank you for all the useful information, Detective Kim. It was a pleasure meeting you,” Prosecutor Nam stood, wearing that I’m-a-prosecutor demeanor again. “I would contact you if I face any troubles.” Both shook hands.

 

Detective Kim gave him a pleasant smile. “Anytime, prosecutor and it was my pleasure meeting you too.” Damn Woohyun. He’s so handsome, but you’re straight. Stop being so gay now. You’re embarrassing yourself.

 

Woohyun walked out of the room and got into his car. “You should take the file and evaluate it yourself.” Curious, he opened the file. He was right:  that hair was a girl’s hair. It belonged to someone named Krystal Jung Soojung. Every information that he need to know was printed on the paper: where she lives, her school, her age, her parent’s names and her sister’s name… just every single information of this Krystal girl.

 

“I can interrogate, can I?”

 

“Yes, I finally can,” he mumbled.