Chapter 7

Difference

A/N: I'm not very satisfied with this chapter myself.  I'm still writing the 8th chapter and I hope it'll get better. To Woohyun's fans, he'll appear in the 9th chapter. I hope to make things intense because a 'cop' is appearing. Yes, I made Woohyun a cop. ;D I hope you're enjoying! Thanks for reading! xx

************************************************************************************************
Song of the Capter: Biting My Lips by Kyuhyun, Ryeowook and Sungmin

 

 

 

[Present; Soojung’s POV]

 

I woke up at four A.M last night and I couldn’t sleep since then. I can’t sleep due to utter horror of shocking shock. And now, I can’t even focus in class and I kept on thinking of possibilities if the one I saw was Lee Jongsuk and not a bugler.

 

I knew what I saw but I was weighing possibilities. If it was really Jongsuk, why did he creep on my veranda? If it was a bugler, why must he start from my room and not the entrance? I bit my lips and debated about everything at a time.

 

“Soojung,” Woobin screamed my name and I flinched.

 

“What the hell?” I muttered angrily. “You want me to die out of shock?”

 

“I called your name countless of times and you didn’t even respond,” he said, giving me that you’re-so-ridiculous look.

 

“What is it?” I asked, massaging my temples. I was so sleepy and I thought I overworked my brain.

 

He hesitated for a second. “Can I… Can I see you in private?”

 

“Like, right now?”

 

“Yeah, now,” he said and walked away.

 

I groaned in my seat. I was too tired for anything right now, even thinking. I needed sleep the most right now. I was too stunned last night that I barely could sleep. I closed my eyes and that dream crept into my mind. I opened my eyes; I could visualize him looking back at me, eyes wide with shock.

 

Woobin opened the emergency exit and waited for me to enter. His brows furrowed when he looked at me. I must’ve looked like a zombie with dark circles and my legs practically had to drag me. He closed the door behind him and faced me.

 

“The heck you called and told me at four in the morning?” His eyes had a mix of anger and disbelief.

 

I bit my lips before answering him but instead, I asked another question. “Where’s our Math teacher?”

 

“Don’t you dare to change the bloody subject,” he exploded.

 

“Hey, don’t shout at me!” I, too, can’t contain my irritation.

 

His eyes bore into me and I felt like I’m so small for a second. “So tell me why you called me at four just to say you saw Jongsuk.”

 

“It was a reflex action, okay,” I explained, pretty desperately. “It could’ve been a thief.” My voice wasn’t as convincing as I thought.

 

“The truth, please,” he said, controlling himself. Really, I don’t need him to turn into the Hulk in front of me. I’m afraid if he would do something to me.

 

“What truth?” I whispered in a shaky voice.

 

He didn’t say anything. His palm balled into a fist but his eyes were begging. He just wanted to know and he knew that his friend was gone, possibly forever. He wanted to know because so he could stay calm as long as he could and eventually move on. He’s not out of his mind and I knew he wouldn’t believe me. Jongsuk was more than a friend to him. They were brothers. I had to tell him though part of me said it was fiction… and other said it was a fact.

 

“I woke up at four when I had a nightmare. I was too stunned. I saw someone outside the window and he looked like Jongsuk. I can’t be sure if it was him or someone. He looked shock, though. I’m sorry, my mind is unclear. I can’t be sure,” I concluded as soon as possible.

 

There was a moment of silence. It was so silent that I could hear my own heart pounding hard in my chest. I gulped, feeling nervous. Woobin just stared at me, his eyebrows creased so deep but his eyes were calculating. I hoped he didn’t believe what I said because when I spoke the words, it sounded like it was a made-up story. But half of me hoped that he’d believe so he could just stop looking at me like he was going to eat me. Or, it could be worse.

 

Woobin’s eyes tore from me and I let out a sigh of relief. I can’t even breathe when he looked at me so deep like I was his food.

 

“You made it up,” he said. His voice sounded better and less straining. “How could that bastard appear suddenly on one night when he could just appear right now at school,” he said, more to himself.

 

I was glad when he didn’t believe me. I felt like jumping with glory and hug him. I tried my best to hide my smile.

 

“Jongsuk actually like you, you know,” Woobin suddenly said, his lips curved a smile.

 

What the hell.

 

“He used to tell me that he liked you. Anyway, be frank with me,” he said. “You like him too, don’t you?”

 

I bit my lips. If I said no, he would be calculative again and probably made assumptions that I wouldn’t be so nice towards him and hear him out when he told me stories about the boy I’ve never talked to.

 

I hardly understand people’s feelings. I’m more self-centered that I thought I was. I didn’t care about anyone and that’s why I didn’t have much friends. But with Woobin, I be right by his side and hear him crying and laughing hysterically over his memories with Jongsuk. While with Hayi, I can sense her loneliness without her brother. I’ve seen her few times at the club meeting and she was a popular kid. She was so bubbly and nice and pretty too but now, her world was upside down. She got picked on by her classmates, she barely talked to anyone but Woobin and I… and she looked very tired, taking care of her mum in the hospital.

 

“Yeah,” I said. I decided to tell him the truth. He was honest with me all the time. He never told me lies and he was nice. “But please don’t tell Hayi,” I begged.

 

His laugh beamed throughout the emergence exit. “You’re shy?”

 

I tried to smile and nod.

 

“You regret for not telling him that you like him?”

 

“Yes,” I replied.

 

He sighed sadly. “I bet he is too right now… dead or alive.”

 

 

 

“Jess,” I said as I passed by my sister who was watching The Proposal for the millionth time. “I’m going out.”

 

Jess’s attention turned to me for the first time and not the y Ryan Reynolds. “Where are you going?”

 

“Out,” I said simply.

 

“I meant where,” she corrected.

 

“Library,” I said. “I borrowed some books and they were due yesterday.”

 

She nodded. “Want me to send you there?”

 

I waved my hands in the air. “No need. Just stay here watch Ryan Reynolds’s ripped abs.”

 

She grinned like a mad person. “Of course and be careful. I read in the newspaper that there’s a killer and some gang around this area. Too bad it’s around here,” she shrugged.

 

“Yeah,” I agreed. “The world is no longer safe as long as I have an annoying lonely sister living under the same roof as me.”

 

“What? Hey, I’m not annoying and lonely!” She sprawled out of the white sofa.

 

“Shut up, Jess,” I said as I closed the door behind me.

 

I walked toward where my veranda was and looked up. I have a habit of not closing the curtains before going to sleep. I need to gaze outside before falling asleep. But that’s not the main problem for now. The question is: how can a person climb this wall when there’s no way for him to climb?

 

I was thinking this over again because I was sure I saw Jongsuk. I shouldn’t tell my parents about this because I was absolutely certain that Jongsuk was the one I saw and I was glad that Woobin believed me that it wasn’t Jongsuk. I had to find him first before I could convince Woobin that Jongsuk was alive.

 

I stepped out from our home compound and walked down the neighborhood. There were kids playing in the playground under their parent’s supervision. They were laughing and screaming happily. Teens and adults jogged while some were doing tai chi in a less noisy area.

 

Looking at this scene, I remembered what Jessica told me. There were killer and gang in this area. The darkest reality didn’t seem to fit this beautiful view with laughing kids, parents looking out for their kids, people jogging in the neighborhood and people doing tai chi in the calm evening.

 

“Hi, I want to send some books,” I said quietly to the middle-aged woman behind the counter. I took them out and hand the pile of reference books to them.

 

“You need to pay the overdue for these books,” she said in a high voice. She pressed the button on the calculator so hard that the wooden counter was shaking. “That would be 4500 Won.”

 

I took out my pink purse and took out 5000 Won. I still have a 30000 Won with me. “Thanks,” I smiled and left the library. It was dark already and I bet everyone had settled at their respective homes, ready for dinner. My parents aren’t home yet.

 

It was dark and I was almost home but I felt like I’ve been followed. There was a man behind, not more than 50 meters far from me. There was another man coming towards me. I don’t feel good about this.

 

“Excuse me, miss. How can to get to the nearest phone booth?”

 

I was still walking when I answered. “Just walk ahead.”

 

“Wait,” he grabbed my wrist and yanked me hard towards an alley.

 

I was pushed down and the man who walked behind me pinned me down the pavement. I tried to break loose of their grips on me but it was too hard. . Jess was right and now, I was the victim.

 

The man who asked me the directions ripped my sweater. I yelped in his grip.

 

“Help me!” I screamed all my might. Damn it, I should’ve learned taekwondo when my parents wanted enrolled me.

 

“Shut up, . We’ll make it fast so you shut the up,” said one of them.

 

I still screamed on top of my lungs. No one was around to help. No one was around heard me scream. I realized I was helpless. I closed my eyes and gave up. I didn’t want to know what happened to me and it would be better if I die. Let it be an anti- end for my life.

 

My eyes shot open when I heard a bike was getting near. I have little hope that this person would help me from these rapists.

 

“Help me! Please, help me!” I shouted again and again.

 

I heard of one of the screamed. I saw his cat-like figure, in a crouch. Those dark eyes looked at me. Sleep, he mouthed and I felt my eyes were heavy and I lost conscious.