Chapter 4

Difference

A/N: Before you start reading this chapter, I'm sorry I bad at writing action scenes. If you're reading till then end, I'd like to thank you. :3 I hope you enjoy!

**************************************************************************************************************

Song of the Chapter: Destiny by C-Clown

 

 

[Present; Jongsuk’s POV]

 

And leaving you, there aren’t words to untangle it

Your life, fearful and immense and blossoming

So that sometimes frustrated, and sometimes understanding

Your life sometimes a stone in you

And then a star

 

I was in my bed, in my room, in my parent’s villa. I placed down my sister’s Rilke poem book on the night stand and sighed. I can’t comprehend the reason why he had made me like this. It’s not easy surviving alone like this. Everything now is fearful… everything including myself.

 

This is what everyone called fate. But this fate isn’t close to what people call ‘karma’. Karma basically means what goes around comes around. Dictionary was long-winded. So what did I do that things come around like this? I need answers and I need to find them.

 

“If you’re lucky we’d cross paths in the future.”

 

“Oh, you’ll loathe me when we meet. You’ll have that much of hatred in you that you wish to kill me.”

 

“But don’t be surprised that when you find out that you need me the most for answers.”

 

“Our kind is too little in this world. Consider yourself lucky if you find one of us.”

 

I still hear that voice in my head. I know we’ll meet someday. Only it’s sooner or later. I have questions to ask: if there was any possible way for me to be human again? Till when will I live? How do I have to control myself?

 

I know if I meet him, I won’t be able to ask these questions. I would kill him first and later regret.

 

I missed home. I missed my dad’s rants on politics. I missed my mum’s cooking. I missed my sister being annoying. I used to think all of that were irritating, but now, no words could describe how I missed those times. I missed my dad’s rants on politics. I missed my mum’s cooking. I missed my sister.

 

But what if I can’t go back becoming human? What if I can’t be close my dearest family again? And what if…

 

I really hate this ‘what if’ question. It doesn’t give me an absolute answer. It makes my burden heavier, thinking of these stupid ‘what if’ matters.

 

What if I can’t be together with Soojung? I wanted to be with her. She was perfect. Soojung was the first person ever I find someone so flawless and nice and graceful.

 

One day she will walk down the aisle, her hands intertwine with a man whom she will share her life with and have pretty and beautiful children and grand children and grow old together and live till death do both of them apart.

 

Me? I just have to endure all of that pain, watching everyone having a happy ending in their diaries. See one generation to another generation born, become mature adults and rest in peace. I can’t rest in peace when I have devastating guilt in me every time I kill.

 

I went out in the evening. My hideout area was secluded and not many people come by unless it is summer. I put on my sunglass and walked into the forest behind the villa.

 

Woobin and I used to jungle track here during summer when he would stay with us for a few days here. We’d be having barbeque outside of the villa and Woobin, my sister and I would have a bonfire here. The three of us giggling like a bunch of morons, singing to songs and sleep in camps.

 

[Flashback; Jongsuk’s POV]

 

“Jongsuk,” Woobin’s gruff voice whispered my name when we were ready to sleep in my room, on my single bed. He was so buff that he actually took most of the bed’s space. “You’re sleeping yet?”

 

“No,” I said and I flipped my eyes open. The room was dark and quiet and we could hear crickets singing outside.

 

“Don’t get mad at me, alright. I don’t know how to say this but…” he railed off suddenly, hesitating. “I don’t know what to say.”

 

“Stop being hesitant and just say it. You’ve woke me up already.”

 

I heard he exhaled loudly. “I hope you don’t get mad but… I like Hayi.”

 

I smiled in the darkness. “Well okay. So?”

 

“I just wanted you to know. Good night.”

 

“But Woobin,” I said. “I thought you were gay.”

 

“WHAT?” He turned to look at me in the darkness. I could smell his Colgate toothpaste-breath on my face. “Shut up, you idiot! Go to sleep!” He hissed.

 

“Okay. Good night, my handsome baby,” I teased.

 

[Present; Jongsuk’s POV]

 

Blood.

 

I smelled blood. I took a sniff of the air, just to be sure though I know it was blood. The sweet smell was strong it stung my nostrils and my throat had a slight burning sensation. I can’t feed too often for I’m afraid if I’d lose my humanity. Curious, I let the scent lead me to where it came from.

 

Slowly, the smell became stronger and I knew I was closer. I hoped my fangs won’t fall from my gums. I pursed my stone lips hard; I knew my fangs would descend any time.

 

Hang in there… Hang in there…

 

A crouching figure held a female in his arms. I looked like they’re kissing but every thought in me said no. I wanted to run but my legs didn’t respond. My legs were glued to the ground. I can’t do anything. I was astounded.

 

. . . . .

 

“This is annoying,” the figure spoke and turned around.

 

His lips were parted into a smirk and I saw fangs. His chin had dried blood and his eyes were red. No hint of mercy in them. He looked through me; targeting me next.

 

“Let me deal with this lovely…” he the pale eyes-wide dead woman with the back of his hands. “Corpse for a second and I’ll deal with you in a bit.” I know what he’s doing with that dead person in his clasp. I just know what he’s doing because I did the same thing last night too. My jaw can’t help to hang wide open in disbelief.

 

That man stood, straightened his shirt and wiped his lips with back of his hands. His smirk fell as soon as he looked at me. He even frowned like he was trying to remember something very important. I felt a chill in my spine. He knows me?

 

In a split second, he appeared in front of my face with a new smirk on his lips.

 

“You don’t remember me do you, kid?” He said in an even but teasing tone.

 

The smell of blood reeked from his mouth. I bit my lips before answering. ‘Do I know you?”

 

He rolled his eyes. One touch of his palm on me sent me flying and hitting a tree.

 

I coughed and moaned. Damn, he’s a vampire.

 

“I’m sorry I greeted you that way. It’s just my way of greeting.” He squatted in front of me. “You can’t remember me?”

 

“Who the hell are you?” I asked, a little louder.

 

“Daniel Choi.” He offered a hand to shook. “A name that my stepdad gave to me, hundred and ten years ago, before he, too turned me into this.”

 

I looked away. “Forget it,” I grunted.

 

“Anyway, I was the one who turned you into an undead,” he said simply.

 

I stopped on my tracks. I looked up at him with wide eyes filled with disbelief. He smiled and nodded a little. As if he was proud.

 

“ you.”

 

This time around, I kicked and sent him flying. He coughed on the ground, but he was laughing. It irritated me. I picked him off the ground and choked him. “You bastard,” I gritted my teeth. “You ed up my life and you simply said that you were the one why turned me into a vampire?”

 

“That’s the fact, anyhow.”

 

I pinned him to a tree. “Why,” I demanded in a low voice. “Tell me why.”

 

“I was bored and if you remember, I did say you were the first I didn’t kill in my hundred years. It was my hundredth birthday too. Contrary to other people I’ve killed, you ought to be happy I gave you a life.”

 

I slammed him on the earth. “I ought to be happy because you gave me a life?”

 

“But hey, I told you that I it’d take ten to fifty years to cross path with our kind… You found me like, how long had it been since I turned you?” He counted with his finger. “Five months. You’re a record.”

 

My fist was balled. I wish I could kill this vampire beneath me. I tried to compose myself. Slowly with small and weary steps, I made my way to the villa.

 

As much as I wanted to let it go, I wanted to turn around and end that prick’s hundred years of eternity. He took my soul away. He turned me into a monster. Someone I don’t know turned me into a vampire.

 

What did I do in my past life, except thinking of my family annoying? Really, do I deserve this? Karma, you have people to tend but why me… for eternity? Is this my fate?