Chapter 11

Difference

Hello again! After a month of stalling, I'm back! Comments down there made me happy, thanks so so so so much! I was expecting for some criticism but everything was a compliment, it makes me happy! Anyway, if you do have anything in your mind, don't be afraid (I don't bite!) and comment - be it harsh or not. That's the only way that'll make me a better writer. Without any further ado, here's the latest chapter. Hope you'll enjoy.

*******************************************************************************************************

Song of the Chapter: Universal Song by Broccoli You Too

 

 

 

[Present; Soojung’s POV]

 

 I covered myself with the sheet. I can’t tell if I was depressed or pissed off with Jongsuk for what he did to me earlier. That bastard fooled me successfully. He said he trusted me with his contact; instead he left me a note in my phone saying he’d find me when time comes. Obviously a bastard, he is. So how was and when am I going to meet him again then? I wanted to get close to him and use that opportunity to realize if I like him or otherwise, but...

 

I can’t think properly now, thanks to him. I’m grounded for two days now and I have curfews. I’ve never gotten into trouble until earlier. It was already seven in the morning and I didn’t sleep a blink, thinking of it over and over again until I’m so worked-up. My mood swings came back too after two years of medications and meditations. My parents and Jessica noticed the change and my parents thought I had troubles and they were worried if I did alcohol or drugs.

 

On the contrary, no, I’m totally clean from those but I kept taking painkillers for headache lately but what made me this way was because I was wondering if I had gotten obsessed with Lee Jongsuk. I wouldn’t say obsessed, though, but I had unmistakably gone crazy since I saw him in my balcony.

 

I stepped into the shower and felt the ice-cold water ran over my skin and I slightly shivered. My brain was still overworking. I was now hundred and ten percent sure that he was the one in my balcony. But a question: how did he even get there? This house is made of cement and not blocks of bricks. And my balcony is at the second floor. However, he hid himself too well and even ride on a bike in public. He could have run into his father or Hayi or Woobin yet he appeared before me, someone who wished not to care of his existence but did. That happened twice, in fact. But all those conversing and sending me home happened once. A question played on loop in my mind: why me?

 

Until today, no one knew of Jongsuk’s whereabouts. Even I who tried to dig information for my own evaluations got tricked when I asked for his contact.

 

I shrugged into my uniform and checked myself in the mirror. I no longer look healthy. Thanks to Lee Jongsuk. He appeared and reappeared in my thoughts and even his voice rang in my ear.

 

“You like me that much, huh?”

 

I got down and didn’t even bother to meet and greet my family. The door clicked behind me. It’s a brand new day, Krystal. Don’t fret of what had happened. Either way, think of nothing happened. Nothing had happen.

 

“Good morning,” I greeted Woobin who was just walking in my direction, clearly just arrived to wait for me.

 

He blinked. Probably he can’t believe that I got out early than the usual few minutes late. “Hey.”

 

We walked as usual in silence. While walking to school, I didn’t see Hayi. I thought that she was, as usual, absent from school to take care of her mother which now became a task that she can’t help but to do. Woobin held a manghwa in his hands, and I thought of Jongsuk. Forget him, Krystal! I noticed that scolding myself have become a habit. A habit that should stop before it becomes contagious.

 

My mobile rang suddenly and my hope suddenly was sky-scraping-ly high. But Jongsuk wouldn’t know my number...

 

The number was foreign to me. I contemplated on answering it or not until Woobin asked. “Aren’t you going to pick up that call?” I looked at him apologetically and walked away from him who continued to read the boy’s manghwa.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Krystal Jung Soojung?” The other caller – a man – mentioned my name.

 

Suspicious, I asked: “How did you know my name?” It sounded like I was accusing rather than inquiring, which made me felt bad. Who knows if it was Jessica’s boyfriend... but if this caller was my sister’s boyfriend, he would mention Jessica Jung, not my name.

 

“Sorry for calling you very early in the morning, but I’m Prosecutor Nam Woohyun from Seoul’s Legal and Prosecutorial Office. I’m calling you regarding-”

 

“Why is a prosecutor calling me early in the morning?” I half-shrieked and realized Woobin might have been within earshot. I turned around slightly but I don’t have to fret. Woobin had the boy’s manga under his nose and he looked like he heard nothing either. I rolled my eyes for being scared over nothing.

 

I heard a sigh on the other line. “That’s exactly what I was going to tell you, Miss Soojung. We found few strands of hair at a scene and the DNA results proved it was 87% matched your DNA. I must interrogate you but this is something that can’t be taken lightly and it is because of your age. Can you come by to our office tomorrow, let’s say after school hours?”

 

I frowned. I’m a girl and I don’t think I’m able to kill anyone, yet he said that the DNA results proved it was 87% matched my DNA. How about the other 13%? “I can’t,” I said. “I’m under strict curfews.” As much as I wonder, I was bothered. What did I do, though?

 

There was a pause on the other line. “I really wanna avoid this, Miss Soojung, but I’m afraid if I must come to your home with a warrant, you’ll be locked in your bedroom forever.” I think he was trying to joke over something serious but this isn’t time to make crappy jokes either. And what does he mean by warrant?

 

“You’re crazy, prosecutor,” I shot back. I can’t breathe now. One problem comes after another and I was practically choking. Even the last thing I cared of was Prosecutor Who’s feeling.

 

“That’s why. I don’t wanna be labeled crazy too so it’s either you come to me with a white flag or I come to you with a pink paper in front of your doorstep.” Oh wow, this got me baffled. Did I do any crime instead of being a victim?

 

I was caught up into something I don’t know how I caught on. I was puzzled and surprisingly, this was getting complicated – all ever since I encountered the damned him. I can’t let Prosecutor Who appear on my doorstep (that would only be a sign of me begging my family’s glares and a slap from my dad) and I can’t go to his office! I’m not a juvenile or a serial killer. Who might know Prosecutor Who could be a con-man, a friend of the men who almost me?

 

Speaking of the rapists, was this about that?

 

I had to get out from this maze as soon as possible. No means a prosecutor will appear on my doorstep and I’d rather make my being an almost-victim a secret. I must put an end to this, regardless.

 

“Prosecutor, do you know where Apgeujeong’s Starbucks is? It’s the only Starbucks here.”

 

“Tomorrow?”

 

As soon as possible, I reminded myself. “Today, 4.30 p.m.”

 

“Tomorrow?” This prosecutor must be deaf...

 

I sighed loudly. “Must I repeat, Prosecutor?”

 

“B-but-“

 

“Look, Prosecutor,” – I had to cut him off. I was late for school – “I hope I’m not a precious prime suspect but if you can’t, never mind. You’ve took minutes of my time when I could have arrived at school on time but here I am talking to you. Today, 4.30 p.m., I do not care. And if you dare appearing on my doorstep, Prosecutor, I will stab you in the rib mercilessly.” . Can I take back the last sentence? No? , indeed.

 

I disconnected the call and turned. I saw Woobin smiling nervously at me.

 

“You look like you could kill someone, you know,” Woobin said.

 

You’re right, I said inwardly. “Nope,” I popped the p on purpose. “Sorry I kept you waiting.” I switched off my phone and literally threw it in my bag. I don’t even know where it might be in there.

 

“Seriously, Soojung, you’re aggressive today.” Woobin let out a nervous laugh. I think he was afraid of me for one, seeing me like this and I think I was exaggerating my irritation and anger.

 

I took a few a few deep breaths to recollect my thoughts and threw them at the back of my head. I need to refocus. “I’m fine, Woobin. Thanks for your concern.” My voice sounded grave; even I wasn’t convinced by it.

 

Woobin gave a shrug. “’Kay.”

 

****

I settled in my seat and laid my head on the cool surface of my table. I heaved a sigh, trying to resort everything because right now, I must think how Hell fell on me this way.

 

I thought of the boy. No, I wasn’t concern of him. It would be better if he was ramped under a truck.

 

The first time I caught him staring was in this class. I rethought of the way he looked at me. Probably it was hatred, because he was scowling. Maybe observing, because he was biting his lips. No, I’m not someone who’s into fantasy and craps. I know how far my imagination limits are – as far as I could only finish my essays. My brain’s searched for words to describe. Intrigue. Fascinating. I thought I was vulnerable because of the gaze, but only now I realized. However, I was nothing near intriguing nor fascinating but boring.

 

But he was fascinating. As much as I hated to think about him, as much as I was pushing every idea of him from my mind, he kept creeping back. He was everything and I hated myself for admitting it.

 

Maybe I was a little concern of him. A little and it doesn’t hurt at all.

 

So, after I was unconscious, what happened? Did he beat those thugs alone until they were dying? Impossible. He should have suffered countless of bruises, a bleeding nose and maybe a cut on his lips if he was that unlucky. I remember seeing him without a bruise, I don’t think his nose was bled nor did I saw any cuts.

 

For a certain thing, I do remember smelling perfumes on him. Floral, spices, musk, sweet... I dared not to mention or to think because there were things that were more important than that. Nevertheless, I was choking because the smell was unbearable.

 

Prosecutor Whatever mentioned that it was a scene. I digested that in my brain. I’ve seen many scenes that involved prosecutors, strand of hairs as clues... it made me think of the TV series I’ve seen my whole life. CSI, NCIS, TEN, God’s Quiz...

 

Please do not tell me it involved killing and blood and gore and deaths, I wailed in my mind.