Chapter 13

Difference

Hey, I'm back! Hope you're still reading after nearly four months!

**************************************************************************************************************************************************

Song of the Chapter: Love U by d.ear

 

[A month later; Soojung’s POV]

 

Honestly, I felt stupid. I was stupid. Why was I writing to someone and leaving the letter outside of the veranda and waited day and night for the person to collect his letter? And the letter was on my veranda, untouched. It rained two to three days after I placed it ever so nicely on the tile. The only thing that touched it was the rain.

It was wet when I collected it after a solid one month. The ink was blurred and I wasn’t bothered to read – it headed for the trash bin.

I was in misery. I couldn’t go out for one month, and calls from Prosecutor Who disturbed me. Every call were answered. I had to meet him once or twice. He kept on interrogating me at coffee shops. Ah, he’s only a twenty-odd. Formalism doesn’t suit him. Yet, at least. Wait till he’s married or is thirty.

But Prosecutor Who – I mean, Prosecutor Nam – is nice. He’d treat me with anything I want from cakes to coffee to more cakes and coffee. He didn’t speak formally, which frightened me sometimes. He told me he had a girlfriend, but she left him. Not that I wanted to know of his status right now, but he said he was single.

Woobin looked better than he was. Like he was. He was able to laugh and smile again. I was happy to see him that way. At least, he was far from melancholy, thank God. All thanks to Hayi.

While Hayi was still trying to cope with his brother’s ‘loss’, talking about him at least once a day. (I made a mental note on everything she said about her brother. That’s how mad I am.) She sometimes missed school to take care of her mom. All the nurses that worked with the Lee had quit. Mrs. Lee wasn’t alright, but Mr. Lee insisted of taking her home.

And both Woobin and Hayi are in love with each other now. Woobin once told me that that was what he wanted. I was happy for them, but I was jealous. The boy whom name I can’t say would have been my boyfriend if he wasn’t ‘dead’.

“Soojung!” I turned around, and saw Woobin jogged towards me, waving.

I smiled. “What’s up?” It’s been a week since our final exam was over. We were seniors and we’ve graduated.

“It’s hard to see you around these days,” he said. It was true. I was locked in my room for a month.

“Same here,” I replied. “You’ve planned to go anywhere for Christmas?”

He shrugged. “We’re staying at home. You’re going back to America?”

I shook my head. “Nope, we’ll be here.”

“We should hang out on Christmas Eve, then?”

That struck me. “Wait, Woobin, how many days till Christmas, exactly?” Okay, I had been in my own little world, apparently.

“Two weeks time…” He said. Woobin couldn’t comprehend why I had been so vague. He once asked, ‘Are you sure you’ve answered your answers correctly?’ after the History exam. I was distorted.

I pinched my palm and gave a nervous laugh. “Sure, why not?”

If I was having a conversation like this with Jess, she’d say ‘You know there’s Christmas, but you don’t know when it is’. Damn.

Woobin nodded. “Christmas Eve,” he reminded me. He gave me that look that says you’d better remember to write it in your organizer and read it every day or else you’re dead. Occasionally, Woobin can be that creepy.

That evening was cold. It was December, of course it was cold. I wanted to walk around the neighbourhood. I hoped that there was a shortcut to his hiding place...

I could not forget him. I was still mad at him for giving me such a false hope. I can’t tell when we’ll meet again, ever. He typed in my note, saying when time comes he’ll find me. For a second I hope that we’re going back to America for Christmas, and when he’ll come around to search for me, I’m not there. That would crush him into pieces, wouldn’t it? Let him suffer just like how I felt every stinking day.

My ringtone rang. The caller ID said it was Prosecutor Nam. I sighed before answered the call.

“Krystal?” He sounded happy.

“Yeah,” while I wasn’t. “It’s a weekend, prosecutor. Can’t you give me a break?”

“Well, actually I am trying to give you a break, Krystal.” Prosecutor Nam sounded like he was taken aback. , I scolded myself inwardly. “Anyway, it’s a weekend. I’m bored so I’ve been thinking. Do you want to watch... a movie with me?”

Oh, okay. Wow. That’s absolutely something else. “Is this Prosecutor Nam?”

“It’s Woohyun oppa.” I burst out laughing. Okay, he’s a nice man and he’s a prosecutor. I shouldn’t be laughing. “I’m sorry, Woohyun oppa,” I popped the P sarcastically and on purpose. “I’m busy. You should find a girlfriend now. Bye!” I disconnected the call.

A car stopped in front of me. It was as if it fell from the clear blue sky, but it didn’t. A window scrolled down and a head popped out.

“I said I was bored. And you’ve dressed up! Come on, hop in. We’ll have fun and it’s not a date, don’t worry, I swear!”

My eyes nearly fell out of its socket. “How did you-”

The prosecutor in front of me narrowed his eyes. “How did I what?”

“HOW DID YOU GET HERE?” I shrieked.

Prosecutor Nam shrugged, his expression had relaxed, but his tone was mocking. “A car and what else?”

“On a weekend, prosecutor? On a weekend?” I was petrified. I mean, all of a sudden...

“It’s Woohyun oppa.”

I was stunned. How could he joke in this kind of a situation? “Excuse me, prosecutor, but if you are not going to go away in ten seconds, I’ll scream.”

I started the countdown and I heard a scoff and I was scooped off the ground.

“HEY, PUT ME DOWN!” I tried to kick and punch him but he was too strong. As strong as...

The next thing I knew was he buckled me up. “I’m not a kid,” I screamed.

“Kids, teens, adults; no one wants to die if an accident occurs,” he said playfully. What....

My eyebrows furrowed. “That’s not funny.”

He stopped on his tracks and gasped. I was quite surprised with myself for being such a... a sensitive person. No one had died in these few months, not anyone important but at the word that associated to death, I was suddenly sensitive.

Well, even when Jongsuk was not dead, he was still... dead at the eyes of people who loved him.

“I-I’m sorry,” Prosecutor Nam said. He sounded regretful, but he didn’t know who had ‘died’.

I bit my lip, my eyes closed as I tried to compose myself. My head shook. The door closed.

I didn’t say anything to him nor did he try to speak. At least I was not being a real kid by whining. I just let him drive to anywhere he wanted to take me.

After a while, I spoke. “I’m sorry for snapping at you.”

He gave a warm smile. “I apologize.” He scratched his head before he continued. “Well, call me oppa, alright?”

I sighed loudly. “Why?”

“Just because,” he replied coyly.

“Fine, whatever,” I said, as he parked his car at a lot. “Woohyun... oppa.”