Chapter 8

Difference

A/N: Right now, this moment, people are busy watching GDA 2013 on TV and I feel lonely. But I went there though and every acts were awesome. So awesome. and I fangirled wayyy to much. People on my left, right, front and back hated me. Yes, do remember me in your memory. /thumbs up/ :3 Anyway, I hope you enjoy reading this chapter. This is where Jongsuk and Krystal meet. IDK if it's okay or not, but glad I kept you reading. Don't be disheartened, I'm trying to write better everyday! Thankies!

************************************************************************************************************

Song of the Chapter: If You Love Me by NS Yoon-G & Jay Park

 

 

[Present; Soojung’s POV]

 

Lee Jongsuk. He spoke to me once, and I believe that was merely hours before he vanished from anyone’s sight. Everyone assumed that he was dead but ever since I knew he wasn’t since I saw him in my balcony – eyes wide with shock.

 

I saw those warm eyes; his lips mouthed sleep to me. I remembered my eyelids were suddenly heavy. I can’t comprehend what happened after I was unconscious.

 

Lee Jongsuk. That name was on loop in my mind. I saw his eyes. He was mouthed sleep to me. Don’t tell me I was wrong because I was hundred-and-ten-percent sure. It was Lee Jongsuk.

 

I twitched in my bed; slowly my senses came to me. I squinted to the bright white light of a room. I can barely remember anything from that moment I was almost …. I was almost . Holy .

 

Panic, I scrambled out of the bed. Where am I? I realized I was in a room – a bedroom even. I looked at my clothes I’m wearing. They were all buttoned and I was in my sweater. My head was woozy but I was sure I was almost by some men. I might be in a rapists’ den, who knows? Wherever am I, I had to find a way to get home now or else my parents would freak out.

 

I grabbed my bag and tip-toed towards the door, praying that I could get out. I touched the knob, but it wasn’t me twisting it. Damn it.

 

The door was fully opened. I faced a familiar tall figure and his eyes were looking down at me. He looked perfect. I know this person that the reality hurt too much. He went missing for five months and everyone including his family thought he was dead. In front of me was the boy who didn’t talk much… It was Lee Jongsuk.

 

For a second, I lost my voice. Even my breath was caught in my throat. Slowly – just so slowly – his lips curved a crescent smile. He looked dashing to me, despite his hair was shaggy and tousled as if he haven’t gotten a haircut in weeks.

 

“Long time no see,” he greeted awkwardly. “Jung Soojung.”

 

His voice, once again, melted me like he did five months ago. I could still remember when he spoke to me for the first time, all my energy drained. I tried to find my voice and a sentence to say… but failed.

 

“I take that as a yes.” Jongsuk suddenly frowned. “Where are you going?” He probably saw me holding my bag and I was looking desperate to get out.

 

“Home,” I replied and realized my voice was an octave higher than usual.

 

“You should rest for a bit,” he said, shrugging. He his under lip.

 

I realized I gawked at him too much. If he noticed, I must look insane to him, marveling his beauty and his voice when I never did those things because I didn’t show any interest in me like he did… well I did, behind his back and that was a few hours before the cops confirmed he missing.

 

“I thought you were dead,” I blurted out without thinking. , can I just take my words back?

 

All traces of that sweet smile on his lip were gone in an instant. He was taken aback. He was mad. He was mad at me. Great, I made him mad.

 

“Yeah,” Jongsuk smiled again after a few beats of my heart. “I… ran away from home.”

 

His smile looked sad. Why did he run away? He was fine with Woobin, I heard he was still single, he was doing great in class and his family was a happy unit and they were well-off. What’s not to like? If he really ran away, he hid himself well. Even the cops can’t get a single trace of him. But he was around our housing area…

 

Wait, he saved me?

 

“Jongsuk,” I said urgently as I grabbed his wrist. Oops. I let go of them slowly. “Why am I here?”

 

“Uh, Soojung,” he said, looking at his wrist watch. “You’ve been passed out for hours. You should eat. I cooked something for you,” he said.

 

“But…” My stomach grumbled noisily. Crap… You grumbled at the wrong time, stomach.

 

He bit his lips and smiled, trying not to laugh. “Told ya,” he winked at me. Jongsuk winked at me? “Now, let’s get you eatin’.”

 

I followed him downstairs, his home was filled with china, glasses and more china. Their family portraits were hung on the soft beige wall.

 

“This is your home?” My eyes scanned through the huge home. I noticed it was bright with lights. How could he successfully hide in a house so bright like this?

 

“It’s my family’s. They come during summer and only summer,” Jongsuk said as he turned to the kitchen. I slid into a chair and he slid in front of me. He looked at me with eagerness. Was he waiting for me to eat?

 

“You’re not eating?” I can’t eat alone! And he was staring at me again; the smile on his lips didn’t fade. It was awkward to me… he was making me nervous! Talk about being excited…

 

“Nope, I had mine,” Jongsuk replied. “You go ahead.”

 

I shrugged and took the chopsticks. Can he just stop staring at me? I took a bite of the nuggets (seriously) and chew it longer than I usually chew.

 

“Aren’t you going to tell me what happened?” I had to ask because I was curious.  I can’t remember much… but I was sure I was nearly . Was he the one who saved me from death? Please tell me the truth, please

 

Jongsuk drummed his fingers on the table. “Nothing,” he replied simply.

 

“Nothing?” I was exasperated. I was waiting for a better answer like I saved your life, I am your savior. You were almost blah, blah, blah… “You gotta be kidding me.”

 

“I am kidding you,” he smirked.

 

“So there was something,” I said and it wasn’t a question.

 

He nodded. “But you gotta be lucky I was there, or else you’ll be dead by now.”

 

“I’m so indebt with you, thanks,” I remarked mockingly. Can’t he just tell me the truth? But why was I being so cynical? He saved my life! Oh, that’s because I didn’t know what he might do to me while I was unaware of anything.

 

He puckered his lips. “I’ll take that as a generous compliment from you.”

 

“How did you get me outta that…” I railed off. What was I going to say? Whatever the question was, it doesn’t make sense. He just looked at me, waiting for me to finish my question. I had to get to my main point. “Let me change my question then. What happened to the rapists?”

 

He looked at me ridiculously. “You won’t believe me anyway…”

 

“Cut the crap, Lee Jongsuk,” I barked at him angrily. I had enough of his distraction and riddles. “If you want me to be thankful for you saving my life and dignity, tell me what happened. Why am I here instead of the hospital?” I was surprised at the volume of my voice. I didn’t mean to but I have the right to know the truth. After those men’s attempts, I could be by him to. I readied the chopsticks in my hands for the worse scenario.

 

His sarcastic smile reappeared. “So you think I did something to you? Like, you?” Did he just read my mind? “I swear on Woobin’s life that I didn’t do anything to you. I didn’t want to make a fuss and send you to the hospital because they barely touched your body parts. I was panic and the first place in my mind was here. I didn’t put my hands on your… s whatsoever. Stop dreaming,” he concluded angrily. “And I didn’t ask you to feel gratified of me saving you. I could’ve let you die there, you know.”

 

I gulped. He was right. I had to keep my poker face on though I was afraid. “What happened to them?”

 

“Let’s just say that something bad happened to them. That’s all I’m telling you. I hope you’re done with your QnA session.”

 

“I’m not finish yet,” I said. I had to relax myself for the next question. “It’s about Woobin and your sister, Hayi.” I saw his eyes frowned. His sarcastic smile faded. Now, he looked like he’s in great pain.

 

“How are they?”

 

I placed my chopsticks down. The only worst scenario that might happen was he would be weeping. No killing, no or bloodshed. “They missed you. Your family and Woobin missed you badly. Come home, please, for them.”

 

Jongsuk bit his under lip as he looked at his hands. “Some things are hard to be done… and some things are hard undo. I can’t. Not for now.” He looked up and his eyes were glassy.

 

“Why are they so hard to do and why some can’t be undone?” I tried to be persuasive as possible and I hope I could convince him.

 

He dabbed his eyes. “I’m sorry I can’t tell you.”

 

“If you can’t be with them, just write them a letter. That’ll make them feel less worried of you, at least,” I persuaded. I didn’t want to mention about what happened to Mrs. Lee. It would be strange if I say that to him. I don’t even know him well.

 

He didn’t reply.

 

“Your sister was bullied at school. Woobin’s down since they day you went missing. Both of them were talking about you every day.” I hope I could convince him. It would be a great gift for Woobin and Hayi.

 

“How did you know they were talking about me?”

 

I groaned. “That doesn’t matter, Jongsuk.” How could he ask this question to me while I was trying to get him back to his family and friend?

 

There was a silent before he replied. “I can’t,” he breathed.

 

“You’re hesitating, Jongsuk. You can say yes but you’re not saying it. Please, make them happier,” I begged.

 

He didn’t reply me again.

 

“Just meet Woobin. Let his mind be at peace,” I offered.

 

He looked up at me. He looked so serene when he’s sad. He was scary when he’s mad.

 

“Not now, but someday. And don’t even you dare to tell him you met me,” he warned.

 

I smiled to myself. I just hit the jackpot with my own persuasive ways. I didn’t know that it’d work, but it did work.

 

“I gotta go now,” I said, nibbling the last nuggets he cooked for me, already grabbing the plates to the sink.

 

“Just leave it there. I’ll send you. I must see you get into your home safely.” He pushed the chair in and walked to the main entrance. He was dashing. I don’t know why but he seemed so handsome and I was wrong about him altogether: he’s the sweetest boy I’ve ever known.

 

I had a dream. I was with a man who seemed so familiar to me. Lee Jongsuk appeared in every dream that ended up with me being killed. But in that particular dream, as he leaned to my neck, a different pain took over. I had a feeling. He is my death… and he is my life. Lee Jongsuk, are you that certain man?