Chapter 2

Difference

A/N: I wasn't even an hour when I posted the first chapter. I was bored and I wanted to cry much because I got lots of readers already. Thanks for reading. ^^ I basically named every chapter with a song that I felt close to heart while reading and I had the songs on repeat, thus, the songs became the chapter's title and the song of the chapter. Anyway, no one subscribed yet to this fic, but I'm diligently waiting for a comment or two to appear, along with new subscribers. I hope you'd enjoy reading this fic. It's nothing special but you are special. Thanks for spending some time reading this less-than-stellar fan-ifc. /bows/

***************************************************************************************************************

Song of the Chapter: From Me, To You by Jooyoung

 

 

[Present day; Soojung’s POV]

 

The bell rang. “That’s it for today and don’t forget your homework,” said our Geography teacher.

 

I shove a load of my Geography books into my bag. I bit my lips and glanced at an empty seat that haven’t been occupied for a while now. The boy who doesn’t talk much sat there before he went missing suddenly five months ago.

 

I was afraid to talk to him ever since I entered this class. When our English teacher was teaching, he suddenly caught that boy looking at me. He didn’t respond, but he was just staring intently. I still remember when I felt a shiver down my spine. His gaze was scary. He literally stared into me. I was afraid if he’s a ert or if something looked weird on me.

 

I don’t deny that boy, Jongsuk, was good looking. Tall and lean, he was slightly shorter than his friend Woobin. Both of them were best friends. Unfortunately, Jongsuk was the opposite of Woobin. He was quiet and obedient. Woobin was smart and charming and he was friendly.

 

“You’re ready?” Woobin’s voice suddenly appeared in my ear.

 

I looked up and said a yeah. “Let’s go.”

 

I just realized that Woobin was my neighbor, a few blocks down my street. I knew it a week after Jongsuk went missing. Since then, I kind of hang out with Woobin and hear his problems; every problem that includes Jongsuk. He missed his best friend since they were thirteen-years-old.

 

We walked in silence. Woobin looked gloomy as any other days since Jongsuk went missing. I still remember the evening before Jongsuk was gone. Jongsuk looked normal that day. I walked towards my class when a few girls were rushing out of the room. I fell and my books and notes scattered everywhere.

 

I sighed before picking them up. A long and slim hand appeared out of the blue, holding a stack of books and notes. I looked into those eyes, lost in my words. His smile… it was the first time seeing him smiling at me. I was so close to him for the first time and I can’t help but to be amazed with his beauty.

 

I grabbed my books and notes from him, but my eyes never left that flawless face. I still can’t speak. My tongue was tied. My legs felt fluffy.

 

“You’re welcome.” He spoke in English and left for his seat.

 

I was still in awe. My mind won’t sort out. My lips parted, but no word came out from it.

 

His voice wasn’t deep; in fact his voice was velvety tenor. As soon as he sat on his seat, he was silent again until excited Woobin slid into his seat and they spoke and chuckled with each other silently. Every now and then, I peeked at both of them… especially Jongsuk. I never knew he could smile. He was always so quiet; he was seemed to be so cold. Well, I was wrong.

 

“Soojung,” Woobin cut my imagination with a firm yet there was a hint of surprise in his voice. “Where do you think you’re going?”

 

I snap back into reality and gasped noiselessly. I turned around and saw Woobin’s tall figure stood directly in front of my entrance.

 

He frowned at me while I smiled apologetically. “Sorry,” I mouthed.

 

He shrugged. “I’d better get going,” he said. “See you next week.”

 

“See you next week too.”

 

I looked at Woobin walking with heavy footsteps. I pitied him. I let out a sigh before getting into my home. I tip-toed upstairs and made my way into my room. No one was home. I bet my parents were still at work.

 

I rummage through my pink bag for my Samsung Galaxy Note phone and switched it on. Leaving it on my table, I took off my uniform and got into the bathroom. The cold water ran and I shivered. These few days, I thought of those warm dark brown eyes of Jongsuk. I can’t tell if I actually liked him, but inside me felt a surge of longing.

 

Longing of Jongsuk? Who am I kidding? I never talked to him. I can’t even bring myself to talk to him. But he was generous enough to help me, picking up my books and papers. I bit my lips. What if I was really missing Lee Jongsuk? And what was the point of missing him? He was gone for five months now. Police had been searching for him everywhere, even near the border between South and North Korea and all the way south in Mokpo. Everywhere and he’s just… disappear all of a sudden.

 

The police declared a month ago that he was dead but we heard Mr. and Mrs. Lee urged the police to search for him silently. It was a buzz in the campus, in the corridor, in the class. Everyone whispered and gossiped. It drove Woobin mad. Since Woobin had shouted at the class to stop talking about Jongsuk, no one mentioned about it anymore.

 

I stepped out of the shower and wore a t-shirt and shorts. I took my phone. Three voice messages.

 

“Hi darling, your dad and I will be late home. We don’t know when we’ll be arriving, so you don’t have to wait for us. Cook something for dinner tonight. Love you!” Mum’s signed off.

 

“Krys, I’ll be late but I’ll try to be home before midnight. Busy right now… Take care.” That was my sister, Jessica.

 

“Hello love. If your mum doesn’t call you yet, I just wanted to tell you we’ll be attending an event tonight. Don’t wait for us. I’ll just see you tomorrow morning. I love you.” Dad’s voice message ended.

 

So I’m alone now.

 

I headed downstairs and made my way to the kitchen. Yeah, my stomach was growling, begging for dinner. I opened the refrigerator. Again, it’s frozen pizza for dinner tonight.

 

I switched the microwave on and pressed the buttons. While waiting for my pizza to reheat, I stared at the wooden floor; my mind was thinking of Jongsuk.

 

I was curious. Why was I thinking of Jongsuk? I did thought of him often, but they were never this severe. Those eyes… I still remember those mesmerizing eyes. Jongsuk was someone important to me I guessed but I never knew. After the incident where the homeroom caught him staring at me, I seldom (not often) gazed at his way. But I started thinking of him after he smiled at me. Everything started after he went missing suddenly.

 

I regretted not talking to him even a word or said a mere ‘thank you’ when he helped me with my strewed books and notes. I regret for having bad thoughts about him. If only I could just see him once and say sorry… I would.

 

The microwave gave a loud beep. I took my dinner out from it, made my way to my room and while eating, I did my homework.

 

I stared at the window and wondered. Where is Jongsuk now?