Chapter 6

Difference

A/N: I was bored, so I decided to post a new chapter. ^^ Do you enjoy reading this fan-fic? I hope you do. Though it's not good, but I really hope you enjoyed it. I had fun writing this fan-fic and I had to consider a lot just to make it right. Vampirism is overrated but I personally find them mysterious. I think Lee Jongsuk is mysterious too, haha! Oh, by the way! If you're wondering why the chapter's title didn't get along with the chapter's story, that's because I picked a perfect song that has a perfect melody to make me feel closer to the plot. I don't really understand Korean language and searching for translation would take time, so I decided just to enjoy the melody while writing. Try listening to the song of the chapters! :)

*******************************************************************************************************************

Song of the chapter: One Fine Spring Day by Ryeowook

 

(Present; Soojung’s POV)

 

As I got ready to school, I observed my dark circles. I stayed up late to study and now I have dark circles. Great; mum would be unhappy if she saw my dark circles. I took my pink bag and got down for breakfast. Dad, mum and my sister Jessica were there, having toast and coffee.

 

“Good morning,” I greeted.

“Good morning, Krystal,” my dad said. “Any plans for today?”

“School,” I said plainly. I’m lazy to talk, to be frank. Okay, I surrendered. I’m talking to my dad, not a friend. “I got homework to finish; I’ve got some club meeting too. That’s all,” I said, nibbling the toast in my hand.

“Krystal dear,” my mum spoke in her motherly tone. Dad’s and Jess’s eyes looked at her.

I look up curiously too. She doesn’t speak to Jess or me in that tone unless there’s something she wants to talk about, e.g. education (which always in private, so scratch this out), our problems, feelings and insecurities… or my dark circles. I swallowed my toast before I said a lone yes.

“I observed you the past half a year that you constantly look sad and uneasy. Anything you wanna talk about to me or to us?” She observed me? Have they installed a CCTV in this home? She was always at work and we seldom see each other anymore except for breakfast and weekends.

I knew it. I gulped the orange juice in my mug. “I’m okay. Nothing’s happening with me. I’m completely fine.” I, too, sensed the bitterness in my voice.

“You don’t seem like you’re fine,” she pressed.

I sighed. “Look mum, I’m completely okay. Probably I’m tired from school and studying,” I tried my best to cover the bitterness in my tone. “But I’m just okay. Anyway, I gotta go to school. I’m late and I bet Woobin’s waiting for me.” I stood and hugged my mum and dad.

“See you later, Krys,” said Jess.

“Kay, see you later too, sis.”

I finally can run away from mum before she would bombard me with more questions. And like I just guessed, Woobin was leaning against the light pole, in his hands held a manhwa.

“Hey,” I said. “Sorry I’m late. My mum was asking me lots of mad questions today.”

“Nah, I just arrived,” Woobin said, a thin smile curved on his lips. “Let’s go.”

 

Woobin was a tall and buff. Physically, he looks stronger than Jongsuk. Speaking of Jongsuk, I kind of felt Woobin missed his friend so much but Woobin had to hide his sad façade from everyone. He used to smile brightly and made lots of noises with quiet Jongsuk, but he’s just like Jongsuk now.

 

“What were you doing last weekend?” Woobin must’ve felt awkward walking two-by-two with me.

 

“I was studying and I watched a lot of movies with my sister at home. You?”

 

He gave a shrug. “I was studying and reading manhwas.”

 

“Oh,” I said. “Can I see that manhwa you’re holding?”

 

He handed it to me. It’s an adventurous manhwa and I bet he had been reading a lot of this since he’d been reading the 20th volume. I looked inside and I saw a name was written with black ink.

 

Lee Jongsuk.

 

I handed the manhwa back to him. “This is Jongsuk’s?”

 

He nodded. “He lent the whole box to me a week or two before he went missing. He had every volume of this manhwa. He’s also an otaku.” Woobin laughed a little. “Damn, when is he coming back?” He kicked the pebbles on the gray pavement, a sad smile on his face. “Didn’t he miss me, that darn bastard?”

 

I stopped on my track. “Hayi,” I said.

 

Hayi, Jongsuk’s sister smiled at us and she bowed. “Hello Woobin oppa and Soojung unnie. Can I go to school with you?”

 

“Yeah, sure,” said Woobin. I knew Hayi as Jongsuk’s youngest sister and Hayi knew me as Woobin’s friend and Woobin once told me that he liked Hayi. I haven’t had a chance to talk to her that much because she was my junior. I wanted to know her better.

 

“And later… can I sit with you guys during recess?”

 

“Sure, why not?” I said.

 

Hayi, like Woobin, missed her brother. While I kept on thinking of the boy I’ve never talked to. Do I really like that boy Lee Jongsuk? Was this heart trying to say that I missed Jongsuk? I constantly dreamt of him… but it wasn’t that warm brown eyes. I dreamt of Jongsuk with red irises, staring at me.

 

I pulled my chair and laid my head on the cool table. I suddenly felt dizzy, thinking of my dreams. I did read this somewhere: Dreaming of someone means you missed the person. I had reasons not to dream of him but I still dreamed of Jongsuk. I never talked to him. He didn’t talk to me until the time I saw him for the last time.

 

Class was a dread. I was sleepy and I was dizzy at the same time. I was busted for sleeping in class – something that I’ve never did in my life. I skipped Biology and Woobin took down notes and homework for me. He’s kind enough to help to cover for me. I really didn’t feel fine. My brain was exploding.

 

“You want some meds? I did bring a pill for headaches… You won’t feel drowsy,” offered Hayi. She was searching through her bag for her painkillers. “I bring them all the time.”

 

“Jongsuk often got headaches and he doesn’t bring painkillers with him to school. Hayi brings them along for him,” Woobin interjected as he slid to the chair next to me.

 

“He was such a scatterbrain! I had to bring these for emergencies,” Hayi laughed nervously. I could detect the bitterness in her voice. She missed her brother badly. I wish I could get Jongsuk come back for both them and… myself, I guess. I wanted to know if I really like him.

 

Woobin bit his lips, considering before asking. “I haven’t seen you for days. What’s up, Hayi?”

 

She played with her lunch. “There’s… something happened within the family. My mum…” she railed off suddenly, wavering.

 

“What happened?” Woobin said urgently.

 

Hayi bit her lips. “She made a ruckus. She went mad. You know how she didn’t accepted the fact that oppa is missing and probably is dead. She was crying like hell and now she kept on laughing and talking and crying and shouting at ‘her son’,” she whispered. “It drove me crazy and it drove dad crazy.

 

“Then a few nights ago, she claimed that oppa was in his seat. We can’t be bothered and she was talking normally to nothing and suddenly she was screaming. She took the knife and…”

 

I gasped in horror. Woobin’s face began to pale.

 

“Is she still in the hospital? Is she fine now?” Woobin asked. I can’t bring myself to speak a word due to shock. I was shock.

 

“She’s been sedated often to keep her from screaming like crazy. She’s okay now. Better, actually,” replied Hayi.

 

“We should go and see her, later after school,” Woobin said to me.

 

I nodded, still speechless. I’ve never seen Mrs. Lee, but I’ve seen her in the school’s yearbook. I heard that she’s one of the parents’ council members of this school. They’re a group of powerful people who (kind of) controlled this school. Not even the principle of our school could do anything. This is a private institution (which worked abnormally than any other private institution) which our parents agreed to fund (more than what the real tuition cost).

 

“No,” Hayi said, waving her spoon left to right. “You don’t have to visit.”

 

“We insist,” said Woobin. I agreed. I wanted to see condition. From the looks of Hayi, she sacrificed a lot since Jongsuk’s disappearance. Her attendance started to slump and there was an exam coming up in two weeks time… I can’t imagine. She suffered a lot these few months.

 

Woobin and I waited for Hayi in front of her class. Now I see why she wanted to go to school and have recess with us. She had no friend now. She was as miserable as Woobin was, but her situation was worse because Jongsuk’s her brother and her family was a wreck now.

 

“Hey, you mutt heads! Cut that out and leave her alone!” Woobin shouted at a few students who intentionally pushed Hayi from behind, fumed with anger. “Stop that before I kill and shred you all to pieces!”

 

“Hayi, are you okay?” I picked her up from the floor.

 

“I’m okay,” she said. “I’m fine.”

 

“You don’t look fine, Hayi,” said Woobin, restraining himself from murdering those kids. He held a pile of Hayi’s books and file in his arms. “Let’s go.” Woobin was super protective of Hayi. He liked her.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me that those morons disturbed you at school? Since when did they start doing nasty things to you?” Woobin asked.

 

“It’s nothing, Woobin oppa.” Hayi sounded tired.

 

“Since Jongsuk went missing?”

 

Hayi gulped. “Yeah,” she admitted.

 

“You should’ve told us,” I tried to say in a warm voice. I tuck her long hair behind her ear. “Pretty Hayi,” I commented.

 

She smiled. “Thanks, unnie. You’re prettier.”

 

We followed Hayi to her mother’s ward. Mrs. Lee looked serene while she was asleep but the sound of the machine distracted me. Looking at her soft face, I can’t picture her trying to commit suicide in front of her husband and daughter because of her son. It must’ve been a horrible experience for Hayi and Mr. Lee.

 

“They’ve sedated her,” Hayi said.

 

I got closer to the unconscious lady on the hospital bed. “Her bandage wrist,” I muttered suddenly. “I’m sorry.”

 

I saw Woobin. He was at the corner of the room, looking pale and torn. He looked like he wanted to cry at the same time too.

 

“She is a mum to me. My mum and Jongsuk’s mum knows each other too and we grow up together. She takes care of me well like I’m his son. She is my second mother. My mum is in Singapore since last year and she’s the only mum I have for now,” Woobin said in a low and even voice, trying to contain himself from weeping in the waiting room.

 

“I’m sorry,” I said. He was like Mrs. Lee’s second son. I put myself in Hayi’s and Woobin’s shoes. What if my mother tried to commit suicide in front of me? What if I see someone that I called mother lying on the hospital bed, sick and lifeless? I felt whatever they feel. Hayi’s sacrifice and Woobin’s strong and positive perseverance amazed me.

 

After bidding Hayi goodbye, Woobin and I walked together home that evening. As usual, he doesn’t speak much. He was awkward and so was I. People in our class thought that we were a couple but only we know that we weren’t in that kind of relationship. He had no friend since Jongsuk vanished and all he had was Hayi.

 

I was too tired to be hungry as I got home. I undress myself and wore a t-shirt and track bottoms. I didn’t care of my homework or my phone. Jess was home. She kind of shouted at me from the other side of the door saying that she was home early from her classes. I didn’t care. Let her babble herself.

 

“Jongsuk,” I gasped the name. He was outside of my window.

 

His eyes looked alarmed. “Soojung, let me in!”

I was too shock to find him outside of my window. My brain didn’t work properly and I can’t react. I was too shock for anything else.

 

“Jung Soojung, hurry up and let me in!” He pounded the glass door a few times. Wasn’t he afraid at all? He trespass my home and Jess was downstairs and what was he doing in my veranda? “Just open this door hurry! You’re in danger!”

 

What danger exactly, Jongsuk?

 

His eyes bulged. “Watch out!”

 

I turned around and saw a man, holding out a gun and pointed at… me.

 

“No!” Jongsuk screamed.

 

It was too late. I felt a sharp pain in my stomach. I looked down. Blood. I can’t focus my eyes and hearing anymore. I was shot and I was going to die.

 

There was a series of loud scream and growling and the next thing I know, there was total silence. I tried my best to refocus. Jongsuk’s red eyes were only an inch further than my eyes.

 

“You’ll be safe,” he said quietly.

 

He leaned to me and another sharp pain hit me in the neck.

 

AHHHH,” I screamed and panted hard. The heck did I just dream! This dream about Jongsuk is getting out of hand. I just can’t-

 

My eyes were wide and my jaw was as wide too. If this was a movie, I’d classify it as a horror movie. He stood there, motionless and he reacted in no time. He jumped and fell.

 

I ran as fast as possible to open the glass door. I craned my neck left to right to see any figure in the dark. Dang, I missed him.

 

I rushed inside and scrolled through my Blackberry for Woobin’s name to appear and I pressed call immediately.

 

“Hello?” A sleepy voice answered.

 

“Woobin… I saw Jongsuk.”