Chapter 3

Difference

A/N: I'm not so good at writing, I know but I really love to write new fan-fics. My friend, Ellisa (I don't know if she actually liked it) said my writings were OK. I have written lots of pointless fan-fiction and I don't post them here...... yet. But I'm always smitten with the subject of vampires. I love horror stories and I love romance genre. Not many enjoyed the vampire genre because they're overrated. I just love how mysterious a vampire could be and how romantic they could be. I tried to imply those in my fic (I know it's not working) but my biggest enemy is the writer's block and I lack in idead. Anyway, I hope you're reading as I diligently trying to finish the fan-fiction. Thanks for reading! /bows/

**************************************************************************************

Song of the Chapter: Crazy in Love by Lee Jung

 

 

 

[Present day; Jongsuk’s POV]

 

I sneaked silently behind my prey. Since I turned into a creature of the night, it was easier for me to move around noiselessly and effortlessly.

 

Crap. My throat was burning! Even if I swallowed a gallon of saliva in my mouth, it didn’t extinguish the blazing in my throat. I tried eating a bread with a glass of water once, wondering if I could carry on with my life without killing. No, it didn’t work. I ended up killing too.

 

I bit my lips to force myself to control my thirst, hunger, whatever. Well it supposed it hurt but it didn’t exactly hurt. I was biting my stone lips with my extremely strong teeth.

 

That drunken man was my target. He, to me, looked like me. He seemed like he had nowhere to go and… he was heavily drunk. I can’t kill tonight. Just sip a little and get on with myself. I had to not to take a soul away so I wouldn’t have to become what I wasn’t and feel guilty afterwards.

 

The man fell on the pavement. I quickly grabbed him and took him to an alley. I don’t have to worry. He was already unconscious. My fangs grew and I got closer to his neck. I created punctured wounds and felt the warm liquid spread in my throat. It felt nice that my throat felt a little better but of course, the bitter aftertaste disturbed me. I could taste the alcohol in his blood. If the blood was clean, it wouldn’t have that bitter tang.

 

I told myself it’s enough. But I won’t stop. . I can’t remember how to stop. . Stop it Jongsuk. Stop it. Just–

 

I opened eyes and let go of that man. He looked lifeless and he had no color on his face anymore. I touched his hands. His hands were cold. Congratulations Jongsuk, you did it again. You’ve killed again. I grunted. I had to clean up my mess all over again.

 

I sighed. Now I’m something that I’m not. Now I felt guilty. I stood, wondering what I should do with this innocent and lifeless body. Ugh, I felt bad for killing already and I had to make this corpse look like a real corpse.

 

I twisted his left hand without any effort and now he had an arm dislocation. It twisted into an awkward manner that if I was human, I could have fainted looking at this corpse. He was as white as ghost and his arm was dislocated. I pursed my lips, guiltiness overwhelmed me.

 

I should blame the monster in me for being so monstrous. Why am I even alive when I’m dead? This isn’t right. The right cycle of life was: born, live, die and afterlife; not born, live, die for one second and live forever. I had tried with garlic and holy water and crosses and other whatnot bulls but none worked. I tried holding my breath and the next few hours, I was still alive. I drowned myself. Drowning didn’t work. I even went to a cliff and made a free fall. I survived the free fall. If there was a way to make me a human again or just kill me once and for all…

 

I stood in front of a home that belonged to a person that I never got over with. I swung myself onto the wall and fell onto the garden with a low thud. I made sure that there was no one around to notice me (well, the clock said that it was now 2.30AM and I heard snoring and heavy breathing of humans sleeping soundly in the neighborhood).

 

I noiselessly climbed the wall and gripped the railing of the veranda and hopped into it. I could see the room clearly. Soojung fell asleep while studying at her study table. I have the urge to get into the room and carry her in my arms to her bed and tuck her to sleep. I just sat on the cold tile outside, wind blowing my face.

 

The soft yellow light dispersed onto her face. I could see the soft and peaceful texture of her face. Her lips slightly parted and her face looked calm in her sleep. Her hair was loosely tied with a pink hairclip. It made me frustrated looking at her when I could just break in to her room when be the one who her face and protects her from any danger while she was oblivious to the world.

 

I concentrated on her heavy breath and I tried to make hers even with mine. I closed my eyes, imagine myself next to her. That’s impossible now, I realized. I didn’t even say anything to her nor did I try to speak. But I thought of the moment when I helped her and smiled and said ‘you’re welcome’. The looks of her porcelain face… as if she didn’t expect that to happen. Her breath caught at and she was lost in vocabulary. She looked cute then and she looked beautiful in her sleep.

 

I squeezed my eyes shut. The nightmare came to me like I was cursed with it.

 

I walked home from school that night, staying back studying at a café in the neighborhood. I seldom going back late, but there was an exam coming up; I had to study in a more comfortable environment. I find cafés made me relaxed while studying with the sweet and bitter aroma of coffee.

 

It was dark. I looked my watch. It was ten at night. That night was strangely quiet. The houses on my left and right were silent. I wondered if everyone had gone to sleep but come to think of it, I’ve wandered alone in this area till late at night many times before. It was cold too, for a summer night. Probably I was sweating and the breeze hit me. Everything looked eerie for the first time.

 

I gulped when I heard soft shuffles behind me. I turned around slowly. There was no sound and there was no one.

 

I was already sweating beads, nervous and scared. I wanted to run, but I convinced myself that I should keep calm and push every paranoid thought to the back of my brain. I was frightened.

 

Someone yanked me to the wall, hard and I felt a jolt of pain at my back until my head was dizzy. My vision was blurred and I can’t hear anything else but the ringing in my ear. I tried my best to focus and got them back slowly. Suddenly a menacing pain in my neck took over. I whimpered and shivered as I felt a cold hand pinned me to the wall.

 

I can’t scream. I can’t find my voice to make any louder noise. My mouth moved as I tried to whisper.

 

“Please… stop.”

 

I assumed this figure was too busy tormenting me that he can’t hear my pleas.

 

“Please… stop,” I tried again, louder.

 

My vision blurred again. I tried to refocus my sight but I can’t. Fortunately the ringing in my ear was gone. I heard a scoff and I sorted out my weak mind. It was a male.

 

“Surviving isn’t easy. You think it’s easy?” said the male voice.

 

I can’t see him! I need to see his face!

 

“Try enduring that hunger in your throat for you will live forever. If you’re lucky we’d cross paths in the future. Oh, you’ll loathe me when we meet. You’ll have that much of hatred in you that you wish to kill me. But don’t be surprised that when you find out that you need me the most for answers. Go ahead, but one day, you’ll find me. Our kind is too little in this world. Consider yourself lucky if you find one of us.”

 

A hand touched my neck.

 

“Just kill me…”

 

He scoffed again. “Kill? I was going to.” He continued but he whispered to my ear. “All the best, I wish you, youngster. You’re lucky I’d turn you and not letting you die. In fact, you’re the first that I didn’t kill in my hundred years. Again, consider yourself lucky I’d spare you… with a consequence. At least,” he was barely audible. “You’ll live and get on with a new life.”

 

“To tell you the truth,” he said. He was no longer whispering in my ear. “You’re the first prey I’d talk to. Surprising, no? I’d usually just kill my prey but to you I’m talking!”

 

Slowly, I felt I was ablaze. I whimpered harder.

 

“I’ve met few of our kind,” he seemed so oblivious to my cries. “But it took time to cross path. Around ten years to fifty years… well ten, if you’re lucky. If you meet them, at least you know that you’re not alone, undying, unhurt, untouchable and etc.”

 

“Help me…”

 

“You’re on ‘fire’ already?” He finally noticed. “Damn you look bad you know. You’re twisting now. Seeing you suffering like that actually reminds me of myself, hundred years ago.” He laughed a little. “I’ll help to put off that ‘fire’ from you.”

 

“But remember,” he said silently, yet his last words for me was strangely sharp and it was forever stuck in my mind. “Kill to survive.”

 

For a second, I lost conscious. At that point, I was dead.

I squinted. Ugh, I was asleep. I look at my watch. It was six in the morning. I can’t see Soojung’s face as she faced to the other side. I smiled to myself.

 

“Good Saturday morning, Soojung. Do something productive today,” I murmured.

 

The sky was getting brighter. I had to leave. I took one last look at the sleeping figure of Soojung and fell from the balcony with a low thud and made my way out from the house compound.

 

I took out my shades from a pocket in my leather jacket and walked with a smile on my face and my unbeaten heart was exploding.