Chapter 12

Difference

A/N: I've received some good reviews! It's great to hear you love it. Probably this isn't the best I've wrote, but I'm glad you're enjoying! And sorry for stalling, I've been suffering writer's block and school just started. (I hope I get accepted to a university so I can dropout LOL). Here's the latest chapter, I'll leave a preview on Chapter 13 next.

**************************************************************************************************************************

Song of the Chapter: Americano by 10CM

 

 

 

[Present; 3rd POV]

 

Prosecutor Nam Woohyun flipped the pages of an English travel magazine but understood nothing. His fingers tapped to random beats and he hummed along to the song played through the speakers. Woohyun thought of the last time he went to a cafe... it wasn’t because of work. He came after shopping for some new games for his Wii. Life before work was boring, now he wanted to beg for that life back, but sure if he had wished for it, he would be penniless in a few months.

 

Since he was 13, his parents told him: “You’re smart, Woohyun, but smarts doesn’t last forever. While people who don’t have an IQ as high as 176 they had to take risks and chances. When they succeed, they are cleverer than the smarts and the smarts became stupid because they were fed by the idea of them being intelligent and eventually fall and become nobodies. To compete with them, you have to tackle with risks and chances. Be as clever as the one who are not as bright as you are.”

 

He suffered depression because he had to study and study and study and play games. But his parents’ wise words are his driving force behind his achievements. Of course, an achievement doesn’t end here. He still had few decades to go, at least until he retires as a rich old prosecutor, married to a woman he love till eternity, be a loving father to his children and be an obedient and kind son.

 

He looked gazed at his wristwatch. 4:23PM. Where is this Jung girl? Woohyun pursed his lips, annoyed. He dislikes people who can’t arrive on time or incapable to keep a promise. Unfortunately, Woohyun’s a human; he can’t keep up to his expectations either. He can’t arrive on time and sometimes, incapable of keeping promises...

 

...Like once, he used to tell a girl to wait for him at a bus stop (Woohyun wanted to propose her to be his girlfriend), alas it was raining heavily that day and when he arrived, that girl had left. The next day, the girl threw the ring he gave her earlier. He had to crouch to find the ring that actually cost his savings worth almost a year.

 

A girl caught his attention. She looked lost, though, as if she was searching for someone she had never seen – which is a fact. He narrowed his eyes; the girl looked familiar to him. Oh it’s the Jung girl.

 

Woohyun raised his hands, a kind smile curved on his face. Oh well, Jung girl is pretty. Can I make her my girlfriend, he thought playfully.

 

“Krystal Jung,” he greeted as he shook hands with her. “I’m Prosecutor Nam Woohyun. Here’s my card, have a seat.” This was the third card he gave out – Woohyun was thrilled. His mom had to wipe away her proud tears and his dad was proud of his son.

 

“Sorry I kept you waiting, Prosecutor.” Krystal in the eyes of Woohyun apart from pretty was beautiful, elegant, but after the call this morning, he added ‘a little scary’ in the list. “Before we start, sorry but I got to ask. Would it take a long time to interrogate me because I have to go home and homework is piling.”

 

Woohyun thought for a moment. “No, I don’t think so. I’ll just ask questions for leads.”

 

The girl nodded. She looked tired, if to be compared to the picture he gaped at for the millionth time.

Woohyun put aside the travel book and took out the translucent bag contained what is said to be Krystal’s strand of hair. “This, we believe, is your... um, hair.” He almost blurted out beautiful or stunning pretty locks, but covered it well. “Found it on a scene and it 87% matched your DNA. It’s not very far from your place.”

 

Krystal’s gaze was fixed at the small bag.

 

“I must ask: were you at the scene?”

 

Krystal didn’t look up. She bit her lips nervously. Woohyun frowned for the first time of the day.

 

“Were you there?” Woohyun tried again.

 

Still, there was no answer from her.

 

“Krystal, if you were...”

 

She looked up, half-annoyed. “No, I wasn’t.”

 

“Where were you that time? I assumed it happened around 7PM to 8PM.” Woohyun took out a black ball-point pen and scrawled alibi on a tissue paper.

 

He heard her gulped. “I was...” She was speechless. Woohyun was waiting. “I was...” Krystal tried again, but failed.

 

“You were?” He asked without looking up.

 

Krystal exhaled sharply, as if she had to use a lot of courage. “I was at home.”

 

Woohyun wasn’t looking up, but an eyebrow rose in doubt. “You were at home?”

 

“Yes, I was.”

 

“Can you explain,” – this time he looked up at the girl sitting across him – “if there was any day within this week you stopped there even for ten seconds?”

 

“I-I don’t remember.”

 

Woohyun wanted to knock himself on the table for many reasons but he had to stay focus. He took the small bag and shoved it into lime green Adidas backpack. Woohyun smiled as he looked up at the Jung girl.

 

“Anyway, is it Krystal or Soojung?” Woohyun tried to be as friendly as he can. It might help to lure her into slipping the truth from .

 

She shrugged. “Both are my name,” was all she said.

 

“Since I’ve called you Krystal, I’ll just go with that.” Woohyun stood. “So Krystal, let’s go. I’ll send you home.”

Krystal looked shocked, but covered well. She shook her head. “It’s okay, there’re buses everywhere.”

 

Woohyun held her shoulder lightly. He felt her tense. “I insist. It’s too dangerous for you to go around late in the evening.”

 

“B-but...”

 

I insist.” He sounded absolute this time. He wasn’t being greasy or being gentleman toward a girl like he always would, but this was business. He had to get her telling the truth. She was a lead.

 

“O-okay.”

 

The Jung girl walked a step or two behind his back and Woohyun kept glancing a few times, in case she ran away.

 

“Get in,” he said as he opened the door.

 

She just looked at him; her eyes were full of doubt. “Why? My home is quite far from here.”

 

He suppressed a sigh. “It is dangerous for you to go home alone,” he said syllable by syllable. “I’m not going to eat you, trust me.” Krystal raised an eyebrow skeptically. “I swear.” He shoved Krystal into his car and went into the driver’s seat. “Fasten your seatbelt,” Woohyun said as he fastened his.

 

Krystal fastened hers slowly.

 

Woohyun felt like Krystal disbelief him. It hurt his pride as a young prosecutor. “Look, don’t be so scared. I’m a prosecutor and I’m not going to touch you...”

 

“But you did,” Krystal said flatly, cutting Woohyun mid-sentence. “On my shoulders.”

 

Woohyun was annoyed. “Okay, okay! I did but I won’t touch you ever again.”

 

“Sounds like you’ll interrogate me again in the future.”

 

He shrugged as he started the engine of his car. “We’ll have to.”

 

He heard Krystal gulped. “What do you want exactly?” Her voice was cold; Woohyun shivered slightly. He was scared for once, thinking this girl at the passenger’s seat perhaps was capable of choking him since she might end up at the killer when the case is closed.

 

“You’re the only one who could answer my questions for now. I need your help. I don’t even know why the hell my boss handed me this case but you’re the only one that could help me. All you need to do is just to answer my questions so I don’t have to bother you anymore and it’s easier for me to close the case.” Woohyun begged in his mind: Please help me, pretty, please!

 

“But,” Woohyun suddenly said. “I have a feeling you’re a victim.”

Krystal nearly choked her own saliva. “WHAT DID YOU SAY?”

 

The prosecutor nearly jumped out of his car. This girl is fierce, Woohyun thought. “D-don’t get me wrong, pret- I mean, Krystal,” he sputtered. “It was just a feeling! Yo, calm down, you nearly had us hit a bus!”

 

Krystal exhaled sharply.

 

“At least I didn’t think of you as the main suspect,” he said when he had cooled down. “And don’t make me hit a bus because you scared me of my ,” he warned the girl next to him.

 

“I swear by the way you’re talking, you’re not going to stop calling me until I spill the beans which,” – she suddenly frowned – “I don’t even know.”

 

They were silent for a while. It was Krystal who broke the silence. “Do you know which way you’re driving? You’re driving to my house, not yours.”

 

Woohyun knew the way to her home – he had done his homework beforehand. His lecturer once said, ‘It’s better to play dumb if you don’t want to be caught as a creeper or a stalker.’ Woohyun lived by that principle since then. “Show me the way then,” he said.

 

All the way to Krystal’s home, they didn’t mention about the case. Woohyun was trying to make her confess something but he knew it would be hard. This girl seemed to be an introvert, but she’s something else. From how hesitant she was to admit, Woohyun realized that it would take a while to make Krystal say something.

 

He knew she was lying. If not, how the heck did her hair was stuck in between one of the rapists’ fingernail? He can’t tell her that he knew she was lying to him.

 

They parked out of her home. “Wait, don’t go out yet,” Woohyun told Krystal.

 

“What?” She spat. That was disrespectful but sure, Woohyun’s only job was to get her telling the truth, not scolding her or giving her a lecture on manners.

 

“Where did you put my name card?”

 

Krystal frowned. “It’s in my pocket.”

 

“Proof it to me that it’s in your pocket, not on the sidewalks in front of Starbucks,” he said.

 

She glowered at him as she took out his card. “Not on the sidewalks in front of Starbucks.”

 

“If that number appears on your phone’s screen, answer it. If you’re in trouble, that’s the number you should call if you don’t want things gets out of hand.”

 

Krystal’s face softened, but now she was wondering. “What do you mean if I don’t want things get out of hand?”

 

He shrugged. “You know, if you don’t want your parents to find out...”

 

She glared at him again. “Is that a threat?”

 

Woohyun smirked. “Might be,” he replied.

 

Krystal shook her head as if Woohyun was talking craps. She dashed out of the car and ran into her home as soon as possible while Woohyun drove away.