Chapter 10

Difference

A/N: Hi guys, we meet again! Sorry for not updating for more or less two weeks now. I'm back at home, leaving my hometown I guess for a month. I hate it here and I really miss my hometown. :( For the first time for this fic, this chapter takes the longest time to write. I believe writing at different places have different effects on me. Anyway, I tried my best and I don't know if you'll like this chapter much because I don't really like it either but I really really really hope you enjoyed reading. Anyway, thanks for reading! :3

*******************************************************************************************************************************************

Song of the Chapter: Daydream by Super Junior

 

 

 

[Present; Jongsuk’s POV]

 

“Will I see you again?” Soojung asked me as she got down of my bike, handing me the helmet in her hand. Her eyes pleaded; I can’t look into them as guilt washed over me.

 

“Someday,” I breathed the answer reluctantly. But the only thing I wanted was to be with you... “Someday,” I repeated once more with a firm voice. I even had to gather my courage to look at her and smile.

 

She bit her lips, kicking the pebbles under her feet, looking and feeling unsure. “But when is ‘someday’?”

 

I smirked. “You like me that much, huh?”

 

She looked up and frowned. “No, I just....” Soojung hesitated, searching for words.

 

I looked at her. I’m waiting for an answer and I wanted that answer to be a yes. Yes, because I like her. That’s not it. Yes, because I’m in love with her. And I wanted the same answer from her... but it won’t be the answer and I knew it.

 

“I just... want you to make Woobin be at ease,” she said as she peeked at me through her lashes.

 

“Woobin? Since when is everything is about Woobin?” I scoffed. Why did I scoff? He was my one and only friend and I had the nerve to jeer at his name. What was happening to me? Why was I acting all tough? Yes those were an act. I’m not tough.

 

Those pleading eyes looked at me again. For a second I stared into it, I knew my weakness: Krystal Jung Soojung. She was my one and only weakness.

 

Soojung took out her phone and handed it to me. I looked up curiously. “What is this for?”

 

“I need your number,” she demanded.

 

I tore my sight off her and looked up. There weren’t any stars above us; there was only a canopy of dark sky. “You know, Soojung,” I said. “I’m capable of running away. I’m capable of going somewhere so far where no one could reach nor touch me... where no one could find me.”

 

She stood in silence; her hand was still holding her phone.

 

“People change when time comes. They might change again but for most cases, they don’t. If that person lived in a bad way, he could turn into a new leaf whereas the good could be bad. We never know what’s in store for us.”

 

“But they might change again,” she said, barely audible.

 

“But for most cases, they don’t,” I quoted my words.

 

“But everything impossible is possible.”

 

I smiled, digesting immediately what she meant. She was right, though it was something that is so cliché but unfortunately, it doesn’t apply to me. If there was a cure, I would be the rare case. As for now, things aren’t going the way I hoped... or the way impossible could become possible.

 

I reached for her phone, typed on the touch-screen and handed it back to her. “I trust you with my phone number, so don’t disappoint me. Your parents are home, by the way. And they’re slightly worried, plus they aren’t happy, Soojung,” I said as the engine of my bike roared and rode off, leaving her behind...

 

...but taking all those agonizing feeling of leaving her with me.

 

 

 

 

 

[Present; Soojung’s POV]

 

With heavy steps I got into my home and yes, Jongsuk was right; my parents weren’t happy. My father was pacing through our living room, looking furious while mum and Jess were seated on the sofa. Both of them looked troubled. Crap...

 

“Dad,” I said as he looked up at me, his eyes were ablaze ferociously. I was afraid because I had never seen dad looking like that. “I’m sorry.”

 

“Explain,” Dad ignored my apology.

 

I had to make up a convincing story. Thanks Jongsuk for the warning... “I saw a friend whom I’ve haven’t met in months,” I dragged the ‘s’ as long as I could so I could find a believable reason to tell. “And we went for a cup of coffee or two...” Not convincing enough... “And around ten we went for a few rounds of karaoke. I didn’t realize that it was already...” I gazed at the grandfather’s clock at the end of the hall. “Two something a.m. She sent me home and here I am!” I wrapped up my ‘story’ with a trembling voice.

 

Mum and Jess just stared at me. Please believe me, please believe me, I begged in my mind.

 

Mum stood. “Krystal, did you know that there had been killings and cases at the same time around this area? More or less a week ago there was a girl who had gotten in our neighbourhood. I was so worried about you and you didn’t even have the courtesy to call anyone of us?”

 

I lowered my gaze guiltily. “I’m sorry Mum, Dad, and you too Jess.” I could feel their glower on me and I didn’t dare to look up. Jongsuk could’ve really taken me to the hospital instead of to his... home.

 

However, I was thankful with Jongsuk. Despite he had me to answer this chaos alone without even helping me, he saved me from those thugs or else I’d been like the girl who had been a week ago. And gladly he didn’t offer to come and explain on my behalf or else I’d be digging my own grave in our backyard tonight.

 

“Krystal Jung Soojung,” my dad said in a firm voice. I knew this would come out from his mouth. “You’re grounded for one month.” I don’t care if I was grounded or not. I don’t have any friends here and I only had Woobin and Hayi.

 

 I nodded slowly. But if I was grounded, I’ll have curfews... , I need to meet Jongsuk in a few days. .

 

My dad left with mum tagging in his back while I was left with my mouth hung wide enough for a fist. I was too astounded. Jessica stood in front of me and hissed, “Where the hell were you?”

 

“I’m tired, Jess. Furthermore, I’ve explained to everyone in this room earlier and I’ve just earned my credit,” I said sarcastically and started to walk away before anyone would start pissing off each other. I had no mood at all now after realizing my mistake. I’d rather die now than blaming myself of my own stupidity like now.

 

“You’d better start explaining because I’ve listened to dad’s blabbers for hours,” she said as she yanked me hard enough for me to stumble on the floor.

 

“Don’t start, sister,” I warned as I stood up.

 

“Then start explaining,” Jess scowled at me.

 

I shoved Jess and I couldn’t care if she fell or not, but I hope she did. That would be the only solution to make her shut forcefully.

 

I got into my room and as lay in my bed, I felt the warmth of being back in my room and not in Jongsuk’s home or in hell. I wasn’t ready to die. I closed my eyes and my mind shifted to the last moments before I black-out in that alley. I had a few puzzle-pieces to solve since I can’t get the answer from Jongsuk.

 

He mouthed sleep to me and I fell asleep. Was Jongsuk a witch? I mean, witches can cast spells but come to think of it, those are fiction and I was in the real world. Jongsuk knew that my parents were home when there was no sound coming from inside the house. Dad wasn’t screaming, Mum wasn’t weeping and Jessica wasn’t shouting. He knew they were miserable and angry.

He was missing yet he appeared in front of me five months later – and he even saved me from danger. He appeared as another Jongsuk. I sensed a dangerous Jongsuk. Where did the selfless and silent Jongsuk go?

 

I realized I took so much into account. Did I really care about him that much? That much, as much as I could grasp, is too much.

 

I took my phone out and scrolled down for his name in my contacts. He wasn’t in my contact. , he fooled me! “Damn you, Lee Jongsuk! Damn you!” I searched through my drafts and notes... and there was a note.

 

Soojung, when time comes, I’ll find you. You don’t have to search for me. That’s best for me and you. – JS.

 

Tears triggered to fall but I swallowed the lump in my throat. I could see my hand was shaking so hard as if I was vibrating. Damn you, Lee Jongsuk. I wanted to be closer to you.