Will we ever see the light again?

Brothers for Life (Second Version)

 

Kring… Kring… Kring…

9 AM

“Damn,” Yoochun sits up when his phone doesn’t stop ringing. He knows it’s already morning. But, today is his off day. Can’t anybody understand that he rarely got a chance to wake up really late? “What?” he speaks harshly to the phone without even looking at the caller ID.

“Yoochun-ah…” Junsu’s worried mumble is heard and Yoochun knows something is really wrong. “Changmin’s gone.”

Yoochun’s heart jumps to his throat. He wants to cry. He wants to scream. He feels weak and he’s lost of words and energy. His maknae…is gone? “W-what do you mean he’s gone?!” What kind of gone exactly, he wants to ask.

“Jaejoong hyung called this morning and told me that Changmin is nowhere to be found when he woke up. He is freaking out now! Who isn’t when the nurses can’t find him in his room? They can’t find him anywhere!”

Yoochun takes a deep breath. A part of him is relieved that Changmin probably just ran away, not gone to somewhere they can’t go to until their own time has come. And, a part of him is freaking out now that Changmin is missing. So, Yoochun jumps out of his bed and walks to his closet as fast as he can.

“Where are you and who are you with now?”

“Hospital and alone. Jaejoong hyung is gone somewhere, probably to Yunho hyung’s place, I don’t know. I can’t think straight right now.”

“I’ll come pick you up in fifteen minutes. We’ll meet Jaejoong hyung and Yunho hyung after that. Call them.”

It is way past lunchtime when Jaejoong storms inside Yunho’s apartment with fear in his face. It is not that the other three are not scared of what could happen to their Changmin, it’s just…Jaejoong was the last person who saw him alive and breathing and smiling and he didn’t know how the boy slipped out of the hospital bed while he slept there right next to him. Jaejoong doesn’t know how he could be this stupid.

What if something’s bad happen to Changmin? He is not in a good condition right now and he still has more tests to do. And, his parents are still away while they have no idea about what’s going on with their only son. And, they can’t tell Jiyeon, Changmin’s sister, yet because Changmin wants to tell her himself.

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I’m sorry,” Jaejoong keeps mumbling while pacing around the room. Junsu is biting his nails. Yoochun is quiet and thinking and not knowing what to do and this is driving him insane. Yunho is trying to keep everything safe and sound and calm, although he can’t calm himself down.

“Okay, we should focus now. Where can he possib-“

Suddenly, Yoochun’s phone is ringing. Yoochun ignores it at first since it is probably from his boss about another emergency flight he has to take to replace other co-pilots. But, Jaejoong’s “don’t you want to take it or at least make it quiet” glare makes him pulling out his phones. And, his eyes get wide when he sees the caller.

“Yah! Where the hell are you? Don’t you ever think when you do something?! You know people are worried about you!” Yoochun blurts out with anger and panic and everything that he doesn’t realize anymore.

Jaejoong stumbles to his side with hopes in his eyes. “Where is he?” he whispers. Yoochun shrugs.

He hears Changmin chuckles. “Really?

“We’re freaking out! Who isn’t?”

“Where the hell is he?” Yunho insists. Yoochun just rolls his eyes at him.

“Where are you, Shim? Seriously. You’re giving all of us heart attacks!”

I’m at the beach. Somewhere nice.

“You’re out of Seoul?!”

Yes. Stop yelling and worrying, hyung. I’m fine.

“Don’t tell me to stop yelling and worrying! You just came out of hospital-no! In fact, you just ran away from hospital! You’re not supposed to be out there. Alone. Without any of us! What were you thinking, Changmin?”

I was just thinking that I wouldn’t have this kind of free time after this, knowing how protective you guys are to me.” Yoochun opens his mouth to talk back at him, but Changmin cuts him first. “Put me on loud speaker. I know you’re with the others.

Yoochun does what Changmin asks and puts his phone on the table. Junsu and Yunho come closer to him and Jaejoong. They sit quietly, knowing there are things Changmin wants to say to them.

Look, hyungs, I’m fine, really. I just need some time alone. I mean, it’s my life that is on the line right now, not yours. I need to think a-and…and everything’s okay. I want it to be okay, as much as you do…

“Changmin-ah, you could’ve talked to us. You know we’ll be there and do whatever it takes,” Yunho says.

I know, hyung, I’ll never doubt that. But, I need this time to think, really. Jiyeon called. She saw the news about me passing out at my exhibition on the Internet. How am I going to tell her that his brother is sick? How am I going to talk to my parents? I’m the only son in the family, hyungs. And, I-I never thought that this would happen to me.

Jejoong gasps. He clutches his chest. There is an unbearable pain in his heart hearing Changmin’s harsh voice. “Changmin-“

No, hyung, I don’t want some pity party of yours. I have to deal with this. But, really, how?” All they hear is Changmin’s heavy breathing. And, tears are forming in Junsu’s eyes again.

“Min,” Yunho is the first one who broke the silence and the only one who stays strong, “just come home, okay? We’ll deal with this, I promise. You’re not alone. So, just come home.”

They hear Changmin exhales softly, quietly. His breathing mixes with the sound of waves. It sounds really pretty even only through the phone. They are hypnotized with it, or with the sadness that is radiating through the wires.

“Okay.”

Junsu went back to his office an hour after their phone call with Changmin. Yoochun is free, so he offers himself to pick Changmin up from the bus station and take care of him for the rest of day. Yunho and Jaejoong are having meetings, but they promised to go to Changmin’s apartment and help Yoochun right after they finish their meetings.

Junsu asked to go back to his office and they all understood. In times like this, Junsu should be at his office and gives his best to deal with the problems.

He is sitting on his desk, frowning, when his father comes in. He stands up and bows at him. His father waves a hand at Junsu and sits across the table.

Junsu’s father is a man with dignity and pride. He is someone who has a firm aura around him, yet it makes everyone feels safe, especially his family. More than twenty years of working in the trade sector of South Korea. He has reached his glory when he successfully expanded the company to have several branches outside South Korea. That was when he decided to promote his only son as the vice president, to teach him how to run the company and he could use some help to handle everything.

“How are you?” Mr. Kim asks softly.

“I’m fine, father.”

He sighs at the tired voice that comes out of his son’s mouth. “How’s Changmin?”

Junsu looks up with a surprise. His father isn’t mean. He is actually a great guy and such a great role model for Junsu. But, sometimes, he is just too focus with what he does that he seems like he doesn’t care about Junsu. After all, family really comes first for his father.

“Upset. He doesn’t know how to tell his family,” Junsu says and looks him in the eyes.

“And, how are you and the other three?”

“More than upset, watching him dealing with the pain without knowing what to do…” Junsu smiles and looks away shyly.

His father puts one of his hands on his lap and nods sadly. “Tell me if you guys need anything.”

Junsu nods again. With his father, he becomes the quiet serious Kim Junsu. He only shows his playful side to Yunho, Jaejoong, Yoochun, and Changmin. There are two sides of everything, good and bad. Junsu doesn’t know which side of him is the good one and which one is the bad one. What he knows is that he has four good friends that will always accept every side of him no matter what.

“The selling record is not that bad,” Mr. Kim says again, “it’s just a series of unfavorable time for our company. We’ll figure it out.”

Junsu taps his fingers to the table. He knows exactly this is what his father wants to talk about. “But, it’s been months. And, it keeps continuing. I’m scared if we don’t stop this, we’d collapsed.”

“Just try your best and have faith, Junsu. Don’t stress yourself out. Your mother would not like that.”

Junsu nods for the numerous times. He looks up and stares into his father’s eyes. “Tell me, father, are we going to bankruptcy?” he asks without hesitation.

His father gives him a bitter smile. After a while, he leans forward and takes Junsu’s hand in his. “I don’t know, son. What I know is that we have to give our best until our last drop of blood. Do you get that?”

Junsu thinks for a while. His family built this company from zero and it is his family’s biggest pride. He is the next in line who’s going to rule the thrown as the owner and he can’t let his family down. No. So, he is going to work himself out and hold this company as hard as he could.

“Yes, father.”

Changmin is asleep even before they arrived at Yoochun’s apartment. His mind was still a little hazy that he didn’t realize Yoochun didn’t take him back to his own apartment. And, Yoochun is very glad at it.

Jaejoong comes with preparation of soup and Changmin’s prescribed pills from the hospital. Before he went to Yoochun’s place, he came to the hospital and explained the condition to the doctor and nurses. They understood that Changmin is going through so many things in his mind right now. So, the doctor gave him some medicines and a schedule of Changmin’s advanced test. Only from there, we can predict our next step. Make sure he comes. Jaejoong looked at the schedule with fear and nodded as the doctor tried his best to explain everything to him.

Yunho got a phone call from Changmin’s mother on his way from his office to Yoochun’s place. She asked about what really happened at the exhibition and where is Changmin right now because we’re worried to death. Yunho wanted to say that was us the whole morning so badly to her, but he didn’t want to make everything worse. Changmin was just tired, auntie, he is resting at Yoochunie’s place right now and, I know I don’t have the right to ask you this, but can you give him some time, please? And, Changmin’s mother only hummed her agreement because it was Yunho that convinced her. When he said everything is fine, then everything is fine. Just not this time.

“How is he?” Yunho asks while putting his coat inside Yoochun’s coat closet next to the front door.

“Barely even talking. And now asleep,” Yoochun answers generally.

Yunho nods and walks straight to the kitchen where Jaejoong is putting all of his frustration out by cooking Changmin’s favorite dinner despite the soup that he brought. It is his way of dealing the pain; Yunho and Yoochun understand that.

“Has he taken his medicine?” Jaejoong asks while looking at his watch, “It’s already time.” He takes the tray of several colorful pills on the table and a glass of mineral water.

Yunho stands up and blocks Jaejoong’s way. He takes the tray softly and smiles at him. “You just finish your cooking. I’ll get this.”

Jaejoong gives him a hesitant look before finally gives in. He explains about the medicine. Yunho nods and turns around to Yoochun’s bedroom. He opens the door to the side of Changmin sitting on the bed, looking out of the window. When Changmin hears the door being open, he turns his head and smiles at Yunho.

“You’re here,” Changmin says weakly.

Yunho tilts his head and laughs softly. “I’m here.” Yunho walks to the bedside, putting the tray next to the bed. He sits next to Changmin and watches together as the last beam of sunsets behind the mountain area slowly gone, changing to the scene of beautiful city lights right from the fifteenth floor.

“It’s really beautiful up here. I’m so jealous that Yoochun hyung lives with this every single day,” Changmin says, leaning to the bed frame.

“Hm~” Yunho agrees, “And, he always hates staying at home.” Yunho chuckles.

Changmin nods. They stay quiet for a while. Not an awkward silence, just a comfortable one. They think about everything and wonder if the other one is thinking about the same thing. They’d smile at the memories. Finally, Yunho realizes how Jaejoong is going to piss off that he just sits there next to Changmin, not giving him the medicine.

“Come on, you need to take your pills,” Yunho stands up and takes the pills and a glass of water. Changmin takes it from Yunho’s hand and drinks it quietly. He doesn’t want to make a scene with his sadness. Just keep it for him.

Yunho sits back on the bedside. Changmin’s been looking at every movement he makes with curiosity in his eyes. “Why are you staring at me?”

“No reason.”

Yunho laughs softly and ruffles Changmin’s hair. Changmin leans to the touch. He lets Yunho touches his hand and squeezes it like there’s no time anymore. He smiles at Yunho. He feels thankful that Yunho doesn’t ask again about the reason of his smile.

“Your mother called,” Yunho looks at Changmin’s cold hand in his, watches it like he never saw it before, “she’s worried.”

“Is she in town?”

“Yes, your father too.”

“What did you tell her?”

“You were tired.”

Changmin snorts at the answer. “She’ll never trust you once she knows the truth.”

“Doesn’t matter. I love you and that is all that she has to know.”

“Lame, hyuuuuung~”

“You know, whining like a child is just as bad as my lame words. So, we’re even.”

Changmin pouts, but he laughs after a few seconds. “You’re right.”

“What happen to the statement that Shim Changmin is the only one who’s always right?”

Changmin shrugs. His lanky shoulder touches Yunho’s shoulder. “I guess I’m only human, huh?”

Yunho wants to run away because the air is getting harder and harder to take. So, he just smiles bitterly. “It was supposed to be a joke…”

“I’m sorry.”

“No, it’s okay. I was just joking.”

“No, really, sorry.”

Yunho doesn’t dare to look at Changmin although he can feel Changmin’s eyes start digging hole on the side of his head. “For what?”

“For everything.”

“No, don’t say like that.”

“Say like what?”

“Say like you’re going away.”

“I-“

“We’re going to work it out. I promised, didn’t I? When are you going to trust me? You always trusted me …”

“I’m sor-“

“Stop! Stop saying you’re sorry. I don’t want to hear it again, okay? Believe me. Just, please, believe me. I’ll give everything to work it out.” Yunho raises his tone for a while. He’s not angry, Changmin knows it, he probably only frustrates.

Changmins stares at Yunho’s firm eyes. There are desires, hopes, and constancy. Changmin nods, because he feels safe and he knows it’s going to be okay.

Yunho puts his hand behind Changmin’s neck and helps Changmin slides down into the blanket. Yunho doesn’t say anything anymore. He’s just there. His constant appearance presence is calming Changmin down and lulling him back to sleep.

Later that night, Jaejoong, Yoochun, and Junsu join them, leaving the foods in the kitchen for morning. Nobody’s really hungry after a long tiring day, physically and mentally. Their little brother needs their support. That’s all they want to focus right now.

In the morning, Changmin wakes up with Jaejoong’s on the couch across the big bedroom with TV’s still on and Junsu’s sprawled on the carpet next to the couch and Yoochun is exactly on Yunho’s last place before he fell asleep. When the door opens and Yunho walks in with sleep still in his eyes, also a big gentle smile on his face, Changmin looks at him with questioning look.

Yunho walks to the second window that is located exactly across the other window where they watched the sunset together yesterday. Yoochun’s room is designed with windows on the both sides of the wall and the bed in the middle of it. Yunho opens the curtain and they catch the first ray of sunshine rising from behind the highland.

Changmin smiles. Everyday, we catch the first ray of hope and everything really is going to be all right. 

 

 


 

I know...It's been like years I haven't updated and I feel guilty. It's already exams week and I'm joining a marching band in my university, so I've been busy, yes :D:D

I'm sorry about the story if it's...bad. I'm kind of confused about what to do with Junsu's and Yunho's problem. I don't know what to do about their problems because I'm an engineering student..........so, I don't really understand about business and law. If you guys want to help me and give me ideas about their problems, you can send me a private message. I'd love to know.

And, WOHOOOOO 24 SUBSCRIBERS!!!

I love you all...

 

Enjoy the story~!