Home

Brothers for Life (Second Version)

A day after the awkward lunch, Yoochun was standing by Changmin’s door, sunglasses on his eyes and he looked so worn-out. Changmin stared at him pitifully. He wouldn’t understand what Yoochun was feeling but he knew it was so hard for him.

“I’m breaking off the relationship,” Yoochun said while walking in without Changmin having to invite him in.

Changmin turned around as he closed the door behind him. “Are you sure, hyung?” He followed Yoochun to his kitchen and watched him taking the glass and a bottle of wine. What a day to get drunk, Changmin thought.

“I didn’t sleep last night, been thinking about this. So, yeah, I’m pretty sure,” he said, filling the glass with red wine until it was full.

Changmin sighed. “But, hyung,” he whined.

“What am I supposed to do, Changmin-ah?!” Yoochun snapped, “She’s the girl of my best friend’s dream! I can’t live while stomping on Jaejoong’s happiness! Can you?”

“No,” Changmin answered softly.

“Thank you!” Yoochun drank the whole glass quick like it was only water.

“But, you—“

“What?” Yoochun dared him.

The doorbell was ringing and Changmin looked confused between answering it or staying by Yoochun’s side.

Yoochun sighed. “Go. It’s probably an emergency,” he said while waving a hand to Changmin and poured another glass of wine again. Yoochun drank and drank and drank again, waiting for Changmin to come back when another person walked in while blabbering.

“No. I’m not in love with he—“ said the other person when he realized Yoochun was in the kitchen too.

Yoochun finished the wine while looking at Jaejoong who stopped dead on his track by the doorframe awkwardly. Jaejoong stared back at him with wide eyes and he tried to gulp a series of scream to Changmin for not telling him about Yoochun being there. Jaejoong turned around to Changmin and his hands were just ready to strangle the maknae.

Changmin held up a hand. “That’s what I was trying to say when you barged into my apartment!” Changmin defended himself.

Jaejoong and Yoochun sighed at the same time and turned around to face each other. They were quiet for a bit.

“I’ll be in the living room, just in case you guys want to kill each other,” Changmin excused himself and called Junsu and Yunho immediately to ask for a back up.

“Hyung,” Yoochun started, “I’m going to break up with her.”

“Don’t you dare,” Jaejoong hissed.

“Hyung,” Yoochun begged.

He begged for forgiveness because he didn’t know and he begged for Jaejoong not to feel sorry for him. Jaejoong was the one who fell for her first. He was pretty sure that she was the one by the way he talked about her during Changmin’s exhibition. Yoochun wasn’t sure that she was the one for him, at all. He liked her, maybe he fell in love with her, but he would never ever betray his best friend. He was not that kind of friend.

“I’m fine, Yoochun-ah,” Jaejoong said as he walked to the refrigerator to get a bottle of water. “I was just overreacting when I talked about her back then. Yes, I admit, she’s pretty and she has a bold quirky personality. She’s different. She didn’t know who I was,” Jaejoong said, looking like he was daydreaming about her, but then he looked at Yoochun kindly, “but, it’s not like I’m going to marry her.” He sighed. “You are.”

“I’m not, hyung,” Yoochun denied.

“Oh, no, you are,” Jaejoong chuckled, “you said you will work it out. Or was it just another bluff from our Casanova?”

“Maybe it was,” Yoochun nodded, “maybe I haven’t changed, hyung. Maybe I just want to play with her. Maybe I don’t want to start a serious relationship with her, or with anyone!” he said while putting the glass on the counter harshly it could break, but it didn’t. He laughed humorlessly. “Sorry, I should be getting ready to go to Beijing tonight.” Yoochun left.

Changmin heard the door being slammed and went to the kitchen immediately to make sure that everything was fine, everyone was okay. “Hyung, everything’s okay?” he asked to Jaejoong.

Jaejoong wasn’t turning his back on Changmin. He stared to Yoochun’s glass that he left on the counter and thought. “The first girl Yoochun wants to be serious with,” he said sadly.

“Huh?” Changmin asked from the hall.

Jaejoong finally turned around and there was a sad smile on his face. He shrugged, trying to act casually. “The first girl Yoochun wants to be serious with and she has to be the girl of my dream, Changmin-ah.” He laughed at the funny fate.


It was the first time Yunho felt nervous sitting in the waiting room for her father. Maybe because it was the first time he waited for his father in a prison’s waiting room. Although he got a private waiting room because they knew whom he was, it was still suffocating him. It is embarrassing him.

The door opened and his father walked in freely. No handcuff, no blue uniform with numbers on his left chest. He was cleaned, washed up, shaved. He didn’t look like a prisoner at all.

His father gave him a small smile and sat across of him. Yunho didn’t smile back. He only glared at his father although he knew it was rude. But, who cared when his father was staying in a prison, especially for someone who obeyed the law like he made a sin when he broke it, exactly like Yunho.

His father got the signal and sighed; Yunho was upset. “I’m sorry.”

“You should be,” he said coldly. But, it didn’t stay long. Yunho sighed too as he laid his head on the table.

His father was a good man. At least, that was what Yunho thought as he grew up. His father never broke any law. He worked as one of the incumbents of the cabinet in the Ministry of Justice, which motivated Yunho to be a great lawyer when he was in high school. He was a loving husband and a wonderful father. He taught Yunho to be a man, to be responsible and to be ashamed of his mistakes. He was the man with his own principles and Yunho never imagined his father would end up in a place like a prison.

Yunho looked up again angrily. “Is it true? Was grandfather at fault?”

His father didn’t look at him or answer his question. Yunho scoffed. He never knew that his father was a coward.

“Dad!!!”

“I’m sorry,” Mr. Jung replied and Yunho was actually expecting a yell from his father despite how angry he was, but no.

“Dad, what’s going on? What is this? I thought they’re only rumors! Am I supposed to be worried right now?” Yunho asked softly this time.

Mr. Jung shook his head. He finally looked into Yunho’s eyes and grabbed his hand. “Look. I’m going to be here for a while. I don’t want you to handle this case. You should take care of your mother. Let our family’s lawyers take care of this.”

“Why?” Yunho asked.

“Because it’s hard to explain.”

“Please!” Yunho let his father’s hands go and folded his hands on his chest, “I’ve got plenty of time.”

His father kept quiet for a while. He was thinking and considering what to do. Yunho hated that.

“Dad, just tell me the truth. I’ll be hurt even more if you try to keep it away from me,” Yunho said and almost begged.

“It was just a few months before your grandfather’s retirement as Mayor of Seoul. He got the money and he never told your uncle and me where it came from. He just assured us that it was okay. He put the money on our family’s bank account—“

“Our bank account?!” Yunho snapped.

“I swear, Yunho-yah, if I know it was a dirty money I wouldn’t agree!”

“Weren’t you being suspicious?!”

“He is my father, Yunho.”

“What about mom and me?! Didn’t you think about us?”

“I’m sorry! Your grandfather used to be a good man! I grew up watching him doing good things! That’s why I trusted him! I thought he wouldn’t dare doing anything like that.”

His father stood up and walked to the door. He knocked it for a few times. Yunho just stared at him quietly. When the guard opened the door and was ready to take his father away, Mr. Jung turned around.

“I’m sorry,” he said again, this time Yunho couldn’t stay mad at him anymore.

“I just need to know one thing,” Yunho said slowly before looking up to his father, “can you promise me that you had nothing to do with this?” he asked softly.

Mr. Jung stayed quiet for a while. “Your mother and you are the only reason for me to be a good man—“

“Can you promise me, dad?”

Mr. Jung sighed. “I promise, Yunho.”

Yunho nodded. “Then, I’ll get you out of this place, dad. I promise you that.”

“Thank you,” his father said, “see you soon.”

“Wait,” Yunho said to the guard before he took his father away. Yunho stood up and walked to his father. He wrapped Mr. Jung in a warm hug and whispered to his ear, “I’ll see you soon, father.”


To        : Park Yoochun

Have some free time?

 

From   : Park Yoochun

If you can land yourself in Beijing tonight, I’m up for anything.

 

To        : Kim Jaejoong

Hyung, you free?

 

To        : Shim Changmin

You free?

 

To        : Jung Yunho

Hyung, got some free time?

 

From   : Jung Yunho

Nah, gotta work on some cases. Will be staying at the office tonight.

 

From   : Shim Changmin

Hospital. Don’t tell the others. Feel free to entertain me.


Junsu found Changmin on the hospital bed, weak and pale. His hand changing the channel on TV, his food untouched in front of him. When Changmin was aware enough to notice Junsu, he smiled.

“What happened?” Junsu asked, worried.

Changmin chuckled. “Just the first chemo and I couldn’t handle the after effect. So, they put me in here.”

“Your parents know?”

“Yeah, but they’re still in Tokyo. Beside, I’m going home tomorrow, nothing’s to worry about.”

“Nothing’s to worry about?!” Junsu raised his voice and threw his tux to the couch, “Why didn’t you tell us that you’re having the first chemo?!”

“Don’t panic,” Changmin tried to tease but his voice wavered from the pain and Junsu winced slightly—he hated seeing a weak Changmin—, “I don’t want Yoochun hyung to loose his job, Jaejong hyung is heartbroken, Yunho hyung is stressed out, and you’re freaking out.”

“I am not! You—!”

“—are you really going to judge me now?” Changmin asked weakly, he put his hand that was attached to the IV up and Junsu backed down before sitting next to him.

He puffed his cheeks in annoyance. “Eat your food.”

“I’ll throw up.”

“At least, try,” he retorted firmly.

Changmin narrowed his eyes to the older one and slowly pulled the tray near him. “Fine, it’s your responsibility if something happens.”

“My pleasure. Eat.”

Junsu watched as Changmin nibbled on his food slowly. And, everytime the youngest felt the feeling of throwing up came back, he’d stop for a while and took slow breaths in and out. The good thing was it worked and before Changmin knew it, he was done with half of his dinner.

“I’m full,” he said, pushing the tray carefully.

Junsu looked at him for a while. “Are you okay now?” he asked.

“Yeah,” he answered, “just tired.”

Junsu took the tray away and put it on the bedside before leaning against the bed, palm on his chin, watching Changmin blinking his eyes tiredly. “Get some sleep then.”

“You were asking if I had free time. I’m sorry you have to look out for me like this.”

“It’s okay. I just needed a distraction and looking out for you is a much better distraction than those papers on my desk.”

“How is it?”

“Bad,” Junsu scoffed, “don’t worry though. We’ll probably lose half of our wealth, but we’ll live. Now, really, get some sleep. I’ll be here when you wake up tomorrow.”

Changmin nodded and closed his eyes. “Thank you,” he whispered.


Changmin woke up to a comforting weight on his hair and someone was humming next to him. He opened his eyes slowly and saw Yunho sat on the place where Junsu was last night as he watched the TV and followed the rhythm of it. Changmin turned more to his left, to behind Yunho, where Junsu was sleeping uncomfortably on the couch. There was a clattering voice on his right side and he saw Jaejoong’s back as he stirred the tea.

Jaejoong turned around, his eyes wide when he looked at Changmin’s bleary eyes. “Oh, you’re awake,” he beamed.

Yunho looked down and finally realized the person in front of him was awake. Only Yunho would not realize that Changmin had been squirming under him a few times. “Hey,” he smiled at Changmin.

Changmin rubbed his eyes and tried to sit up. Yunho helped him out. He looked around and the room suddenly was brighter. The sun coming through the window and he was happy again, forgetting all the pain from yesterday’s chemo.

“Need anything? I bought your favorite ginger tea,” Jaejoong said and offered him a cup of tea, “thought it would help soothing your stomach.”

Changmin took it and smiled.

“Oh,” Yunho said suddenly, “Yoochun sent you a video message!” He pulled out his phone and showed it to Changmin as a video was playing.

A scarf was covering Yoochun’s neck and a part of his mouth with huge Christmas tree as the background. People were busily walking behind him. It was a sight to see, making Changmin wanting to go on another vacation, forgetting all the troubles. Changmin would always be jealous of Yoochun’s job who took him to see some part of the world a few times every single week of his life, although Changmin himself had no trouble to travel anywhere he wanted.

“Hey, Minnie,” his voice was muffled by his scarf, “get well soon and I’ll take you for a free ride to wherever you like. This is just like any other night when you guys are there together and I’m in another city, another country, trying not to get into trouble, all alone. It’s fun, but not as fun as it is with you guys. Wish you were here. I love you. See you soon!”

Jaejoong smile. Yunho smiled. And, Junsu snored. Changmin laughed.

It was just a small hospital room, not bigger than his own room. But, it felt more like home.


I'm an for not updating this long...but I finally update this story!!! Yeay! Hope you guys like it. I love all of you sooooooo much <3