// Chapter1 //

//Wishing for Happiness//

It's late summer and you can tell that fall isn't far away. A warm summer breeze blows across the meadows. Everything seems as if I am in a dream. I can smell fresh grass, flowers and there's also a light scent of damp wood in the air. Several leaves are lightly blowing in the wind and few birds are flying around, seemingly merrily. On the horizon reflects a gorgeous sunset, which colors the clouds somewhat pinkish.

I am standing with my suitcase on a small gravel road. At the beginning of the road, there's a signpost and right below it, a wooden hut looking-like mailbox.

In white letters, '이정석' is written on the signpost. A small smile comes across my face as I read his name.

 

From where I am standing now, on the gravel path, one could not recognize Jung Suk's house yet. It seems as if I still have a long way ahead of me. With my suitcase in my hand I start walking. Around me the wind drafts a little bit and the grass moves back and forth. The whole environment has this calm effect on me. I breath deep in and out. The wind blows through my hair and I realize how my body gets more and more cozy.

Finally I see a little lodge from which smoke ascends.

Since Jung Suk moved here, we often sent letter to each other. In his last one he wrote: “if you follow the gravel path you'll get straight to a little lodge from which smoke ascends.” And right there in front of me, is the little lodge. It appears so dreamlike and secretive, that I can't wait any longer to see it from it's inside.

 

And again I smile. I just can't hide how happy I am. Now finally I am here! I go to the front door and turn around one last time to look at the path which lead me here. Again I smile. On the porch in front of the door, two wind chimes hang from the ceiling, sounding in the wind. There also stands a rocking chair, cradling to and fro.

 

The door suddenly opens and Jung Suk flung his arms around my neck.

Aigoo, why are you still standing here outside? I waited the whole day for you!” He lets go of me smiles at me. Smiling back I answered, “ahh, 미언해 (I’m sorry)! I just took a look around.” I was so happy seeing Jung Suk.

 

“빨리, 빨리! (quick,quick) Come on in!” and with that he pushed me with all of his force through the door and even dragged my suitcase behind.
“Do you have stones in that case of yours! This is so damn heavy!” he said as he wiped the sweat off of his forehead.

“I packed food.”, I said innocently.

“What?! But I have bought sooo much food for us already. Well, I guess you just have to stay as long until we have no food left anymore.”, he replayed with a cheeky grin. “But I haven't even bought so many clothes to change!” I shot back indignantly. “You'll just have to wear my clothes then.”, he exclaimed and stuck out his tongue.

 

Next thing I knew, he was standing with a plate full of goodies and a glass of juice in front of me. He put the plate and the glass down on the coffee table. “Make yourself at home” he shouted as he walked back to the kitchen. I took him at his words and sat down, with my feet laid on a chair next to the couch.

In a matter of seconds he came rushing out of the kitchen and sat down on my stomach.

“And? And? And? What's the news? Come on, tell me everything!”. He looks at me with his sweet sparkling eyes.

So we just sat there, talking for hours about just everything that came into our minds. We shared some laughter, discussed and even made some funny faces only to replace them with a solemn face.

Everything ended up with us falling asleep on the couch.

 

With his shaky fingers he some of my hair out of my face before he began cuddling up to me and drifting of into dreamland.

 

I was the first to wake up, and noticed that Jung Suk laid kinda upon me. His head was on my shoulder and his breath tickled my neck. He looks like a little kid while sleeping; a little kid that has to be protected. I felt how his abdomen moved when he breathed in and out. I tried my best to wriggle myself out under him, but I failed and woke him up. I closed my eyes again and pretended to be asleep. He straightened himself.

And I felt how he slowly started to lean his face over mine...