Chapter 3

The Words I Can't Say

Yonghwa was startled. “Wae? Wae?”

“Ya! Have you forgotten she’s afraid of heights?” Taeyeon interrupted him. “You’re quite weird these days.”

Yonghwa remembered late that Joohyun has Acrophobia. He put his hands on her shoulders and trying to make an eye contact. “Don’t jump if you’re afraid. It’s okay.”

“No, no. I need to conquer this fear. No, I WANT. Just please jump with me.”

“Okay, okay. Just relax. Inhale. Exhale.”

Ever since they graduated high school, Yonghwa was the guy whom Joohyun can count on. Always. They’re not the best of friends, they’re just….. always there for each other.

“Ya, ya! You both go first.” Yuri pointed to the bungee jump area.

“Ahrasseo, chill!”

“I can’t, I’m freaking excited already!” Yuri excitedly said while putting both of her hands in cheeks.

Yonghwa diligently asked Joohyun, “will you be alright? Are you sure? We can still back out.”

“Ani, ani. I can do this. Let’s go!” Joohyun turned to the others, “hwaiting!”

“Hug her or carry her?” The crew asked.

“Let’s just hug, I don’t want to burden you by carrying me” Joohyun bravely said.

After she answered, Joohyun hugged him without a doubt. Yonghwa slowly put his arms around her too.

“Ready? 1… 2… 3… BUNGEE!!”

Joohyun tightly hugged Yonghwa while shouting at the top of her lungs. She had her arms around his shoulder and his around her waist. Tightly.

Yonghwa was so worried.

“Ya! Are you alright?”

“Yonghwa.. Yonghwa.. jinjja daebak! Daebak! Daebak!”

He sighed in relief. He thought something happened to her coz she did not saying anything nor moved in their tight hug.

They’ve been slowly let down when Joohyun broke their hug. Yonghwa offered his hand to help her stand up. “Aigoo!”

As soon as the elevator doors were opened, the others welcomed Joohyun with a clap.

“Waaaa~ uri Joohyunie!” Sunny childishly hugged her.

Jonghyun went to Yonghwa. “was that tough, bro?”

“Ani. It was fun!”

 

--------------------------------

 

They’re back to their hotel after having dinner and a round of shopping & sightseeing at Venetian Macao.

They were all smiles and at the same time tired while heading to their rooms.

“Aaaahhhh! I’m so happy and tired. Good night, guys!” Hyoyeon said while lazily opening their room door.

Everyone bid their good nights and rested.

As soon as Yonghwa entered the room, he went straight to the bed. Jonghyun directly took a shower.

Yonghwa was still in bed when Jonghyun went out of the bathroom.

“Me and Yoona will go drink by the pool. Wanna come?”

“Ya! I’m not the type of person to ruin a date.”

Jonghyun laughed at what Yonghwa said. “Okay. I’ll bring the keys so don’t bother to wait for me.”

“Go! Go! I’ll just sleep.”

“Chill! I’ll go now. Bye!”

As soon as he heard the doors closed, Yonghwa went to the mini bar of their room, grabbed a wine and a glass and went straight to the balcony.

He comfortably lie there. Seeing the view of Macau at night, fresh air and a glass of wine, can there be any more perfect than this? He had a lot of thoughts. Thoughts about what just happened at the Macau Tower. It was not expected nor even had the idea that it would happen. It was all a dream. Wait, was it?

He hoped confessing to someone you love is as easy as 123 but, no. They’ve been friends since high school and he’s afraid that it might ruin their friendship and most especially, trust. It’s not like you can take it back when it is already said. To be honest, there are a lot of factors to be considered in loving a long-time friend, and that is what he is afraid of.

He was closing his eyes when thinking of those thoughts. Suddenly, he heard a familiar voice.

“Can I have some?”

Yonghwa opened his eyes. To his surprise, it was Joohyun.

“Ya! How did you? How did you get in?”

“The door was opened. I knocked like a million times but no one answered.” She then sat beside the chair where Yonghwa was sitting.

“Jonghyun jinjja! He didn’t lock the door.”

“Don’t worry, no one will you even if they wanted to.” She laughed loudly after what she said. “I’ll go get a glass.”

He poured the wine onto her glass. “Why are you still not sleeping?”

She answered back, “you, why are you still awake?”

“Ya! Don’t ask me my question!”

She laughed hard again. “I really love to tease you! You’re such a hot-tempered guy. Well, it’s the obvious answer: I’m still not sleepy.”

“Me too.”

“Hey, Yonghwa!”

“Oh?”

“Thank you for earlier.”

“Thank you for what? We all know you’re afraid of heights. You should thank yourself for being brave and did not collapse while jumping.”

“Hmm, but still, thank you for taking care of me before and after.”

“Ya! It’s not like the first time I helped you.”

“You're right! You’ve always been helping me. Thank you!”

Both of them drank a bit of the wine.

“Anyway, who was the girl you confessed to?” Joohyun opened up a conversation again.

Stuttered, “Aaahhh, ani. No one.”

“Then why are you dreaming of confessions when you did not confess yet? Who’s the girl? I might be a help? C’mon tell me! Is it someone we know?” She leaned closer to him interestingly.

“Hmmm. Maybe?”

With eyes opened wide, she excitedly said, “Yaaaaaa! Who is it??? Tell me!!!!”

“I’ve known her since high school.”

“WAAAAAHHHH!!! Jung Yong Hwa!!! Can you just freaking say the name?”

“I can’t.”

“Why? Was she my enemy back then? If ever she was, stop it Jung Yong Hwa. I don’t want to see you with es. Okay?”

“Whoa~ whoa~ chill! She isn’t.”

“Then who? FREAKING W-H-O? Wait, is she our first honor? The ever so freakish-slash-nerd-slash-whatever, JiHyo?”

“Whaaaat? Hell no!”

“Well just tell me so that this conversation is over!”

“YOU!!!”