Diva Day: Part 2

Dealing with a Diva

Look, guys! Part 2 is finally here! Yay~

I suggest rereading Part 1 of Diva Day before reading this. I skipped a lot of stuff here like conversations and little details that were explained in the first part. Enjoy~


When Kibum woke up on the twenty-third of September, he was expecting to be faced with Jonghyun's smiling face as he wished him a happy birthday and presented him with an elaborately prepared breakfast in bed.

What he got was an empty bed and a note on the fridge that explained that Jonghyun's choir conductor had called him in that morning so they could discuss Jonghyun possibly having a solo in the choir's next concert or something. The note also reminded Kibum that his first class started at nine, so he needed to leave by 8:45 or he'd be late.

Key scowledat the obnoxious smiley face Jonghyun had drawn at the bottom of the note. "Not even a 'happy birthday...'" Key growled, turning the coffee maker on. 

While he waited for the appliance to warm up, the blond glanced at the clock on the wall and did a double take, cursing loudly. "! It's 8:40!" He shouted, running back to his room and throwing some clothes on without paying attention to what he was doing. Checking the time on his phone, he knew he wouldn't have time to properly brush his teeth, so he popped a breath mint in his mouth, hoping that would suffice for now. Grabbing his bag, Key rushed out of the apartment at 8:50, sprinting down the street in an attempt to shorten the ten-minute walk to his first class. And as if to top off his already amazing morning, it was pouring down rain, and Key had forgotten his umbrella.

Key made it to class with 30 seconds to spare, but he discovered with despair that the rain had soaked his bag, and the notebook all his notes were in was rendered useless. Of course, that had to be the day they had an open-note test, which Key was more than sure he failed.

For the rest of class, Key was left without paper, so he had to listen to the professor's lecture without taking notes, and he knew that he'd probably fail the next test, too.

What a wonderful birthday I'm having, the blond thought, sighing and resting his chin in his hand, the teacher's voice creeping into one ear before dribbling out of the other, the words piling on the desk underneath Key's elbow.

When he got out of class, Key called Jonghyun, hoping to at least be able to go out to lunch with his boyfriend later and complain about his terrible morning, but he had forgotten about how Jong's sister was coming into town, and Jonghyun would have to pick her up at the airport, which meant he wouldn't be able to have lunch. In what felt like a desperate gesture, Key tried to subtly check and see if Jonghyun had truly forgotten his birthday (though in all honesty, subtlety wasn't really Key's strong suit, so he probably wasn't all that subtle).

But of course, Jonghyun had forgotten. It wasn't like Kibum could blame him--his sister Songdam was studying overseas in America, so her visits to Korea were always a big deal. However, Key still couldn't keep the disappointment out of his voice as he ended the call.


Key's second class wasn't nearly as bad as his first since they were watching a movie and the professor wasn't making them take notes. When he got out of class, Kibum walked back to the apartment to change clothes and get something to eat.

Yes, he had lied to Jonghyun. Onew had gone out to lunch with Daehyun and Himchan, but it had been a few days earlier, on a day when Kibum and Jonghyun had gone out for lunch together.

Kibum sighed as he walked into his building. "At least it stopped raining," he muttered, glancing over his shoulder at the cloudy sky as the building's glass front doors swung closed behind him.

In his apartment, Key made some instant ramen for lunch. After he ate, he went to the bathroom to fix the disaster that he knew was his face. However, the blond didn't have time to even finish putting his makeup on before he had to leave for work.

Key was forced to keep his hair as it was, and he ran his hand through it as he walked down the street, trying to tame the matted blond mess. He knew that his makeup wasn't perfect either since it had been applied in such a rush, but whatever. Makeup problems Key could deal with--he kept a portable makeup kit in his locker at work--but hair problems were a whole different story. Key made a mental note to put together a portable hair kit to keep at work along with the makeup kit.

Thoughts of his messy hair trailed into how little time he had had to get ready that morning, which turned into dthoughts of what a horrible day he had been having in general.

Suddenly, Key stopped walking as he was struck with the thought that the best thing that had happened to him so far--on his birthday of all days--was that it had stopped raining.

Kibum leaned against the brick wall of the building to his right, sinking down slowly until he was sitting on the pavement, hugging his knees to his chest. He rested his chin on top of his knees as he had always done whenever he felt lonely or afraid as a child. The only difference now was that when he was a kid, his mother would always come and take care of him, chase the monsters away. Now he was alone. "Happy ing birthday to me," he muttered into the quiet street, trying to blink back unwanted tears.

Suddenly, Kibum heard a noise behind him, and he scrambled around, trying to stand up quickly in case it was a mugger or a or something. However, a familiar voice made him look up from where he was focusing on making sure he didn't slip on the wet pavement.

"Key-hyung! I haven't seen you in a while!" Taemin called as he walked out of a dark alleyway. Key would later wonder what the boy had been doing there in the first place, but just then Key merely silently appreciated how the younger blond was politely ignoring the fact that his hyung had been sulking on a sidewalk not thirty seconds prior.

"Taeminnie!" Key replied, hugging the younger boy. Over the blond's shoulder, however, Key caught sight of two figures running away from them. The alley was dark, so Kibum couldn't see their faces, but he would know that silhouette anywhere.

Everything matched: the short, slightly stocky frame; the muscular, toned biceps; the barely spiked hair. It all added up to the same person, but Kibum couldn't help but wonder: what the hell was Kim Jonghyun doing in that alleyway?


Taemin ended up walking Key all the way to his workplace--a bookstore situated on a street corner at about a fifteen minutes' walk from Key's apartment building. Kibum was happy for the company, but he hadn't expected Taemin to sit in the store's cafe and begin reading from a large stack of books picked from the store's shelves.

While Key manned the register, staring into space while he waited for a customer to come and buy soem books, he thought about the phone call he had gotten from Jonghyun when he had been walking to work with Taemin.

The stupid dinosaur had apparently remembered his birthday, and he had been gushing out apologies and "I love you's" and a bunch of other sappy , and Key had successfully calmed him down, sending him to "spend time with his sister," but the blond actually knew that Jonghyun wasn't with his sister--he was at the apartment. What he was doing, Key didn't know, but he had a feeling it had something to do with his birthday, and just the thought of Jonghyun trying to prepare something for him brought a smile to the blond's face.

Glancing up at Taemin, who still had his nose buried in a book, Kibum suddenly couldn't wait for the end of his shift.


When his break finally came, Key sat in the cafe with Taemin and sent a text to Jonghyun. 

To: Jjongie
From: Key

Why is Taemin stalking me? >.<

It wasn't long before he received a reply.

To: Key
From: Jjongie

Because I felt bad about missing lunch, and I didn't want you to be alone anymore on your birthday.

Kibum smiled at the phone. "Who are you texting?" Taemin asked, leaning across the table and trying to get a look at Key's phone.

"Jonghyun," Key answered, pulling his phone back and holding it above his head. "Yah! I don't try to read your texts with MInho! You wouldn't want me to do that, now would you?" He threatened, raising a brow in Taemin's direction. The blond blushed, sitting back down and leaning back in his seat, bringing his book up to cover his face once more. Key smirked triumphantly before typing a reply to Jonghyun.

To: Jjongie
From: Key

There's actually not much I can complain about since it's Tae.

And it wasn't a lie, either. Kibum loved spending time with the younger blond. The diva's motherly side tended to come out around the maknae, so much so that Taemin had taken to referring to Key as "umma."

A minute later, Key could practically hear Jonghyun's laugh as he read his boyfriend's reply.

To: Key
From: Jjongie

See? I am smart after all. ^^

Key scoffed as he typed his reply.

To: Jjongie
From: Key

No, you're still stupid. But I love you anyway. I've gtg, my break's almost up.

Rising from his seat, Key smiled at Taemin. "Gotta go, Tae. My break's over."

Taemin glanced up from his book, smiling at Key as he walked by. "Alright, hyung! Talk to you later!"

Key chuckled and ruffled the maknae's hair as he walked by before pulling out his phone and checking it one last time, finding another text from Jonghyun.

To: Key
From: Jjongie

I love you too. See you when you get home. I've got a surprise for you ;)


Key didn't get a chance to respond to Jonghyun's last text, but for the rest of the day he thought about what Jonghyun's surprise could have been, which caused him to misshelve some new books in his distracted state. As he was trying to fix his screw-up, he tripped over a ladder, sending books flying all over the fantasy section. After enduring yet another lecture from the manager, Key was sent to man the register once again while another employee took care of shelving the new arrivals.

A glance to the cafe told Key that Taemin had left, and when his shift ended, the blond was left to walk home alone. Pulling out his phone, Key hit the speed dial number two, calling Jonghyun.

He picked up on the third ring, his familiar voice flying into Kibum's left ear and nestling in the blond's brain, calming any anxieties he might have been having. "Yeoboseyo?"

"Where'd Taeminnie go?" Key pouted into the phone. "He was gone when my shift ended."

"Really?" Jonghyun asked, and Key could tell that Jonghyun knew exactly where Taemin had gone--and he was willing to bet that Taemin was right there in front of Jonghyun. "I don't know," Jong continued, "Maybe MInho got jealous and kidnapped him."

Key laughed, playing along and feigning stupidity. "Well, Minho should know better tahn to steal a boy from his umma!" He joked.

Jonghyun laughed. "So are you coming home now?"

"Yeah, I'm on my way now. Do you still have that surprise for me?"

"Hmm...I can't say," Jonghyun said. "See you in a few. I love you."

Key rolled his eyes, grinning. "Yeah, whatever. It's a half-assed cake and an iTunes gift card, isn't it?" He teased, making sure that his tone was joking. "See you when I get there. I'm five minutes out. Love you too."

He hung up, pocketing his phone and beginning to walk faster. What could his surprise be? He knew it wouldn't be a sloppy cake and cheap gift card--Jong was better than that. He knew that Jonghyun had been out that morning, but not with his sister or his choir director. Key was willing to bet that Jonghyun had gone out with Taemin and Minho--why else would Taemin walk out of that alleyway with Jong running in the opposite direction? That meant that Taemin was probably back at the apartment with Jong, and if Taemin was there, Minho would be too. But who else? Just how big was this thing Jong had planned? It couldn't have been that many people since Jonghyun had forgotten at first, right? He had only remembered shortly after lunch--how much could he do in an afternoon?

Key snapped out of his thoughts to find the elevator doors opening on his floor. He nearly ran down the hall, fumbling to get his key in the lock. Taking a deep, calming breath, Key opened the door, only to be faced with total darkness.

Blinking, Key searched blindly for the light switch. "Jong, why are the lights off?" He demanded to the dark room before finally finding the switch.

Flipping it up, Key gasped as pretty much everyone he knew jumped up and shouted. Kibum's dark brown eyes flicked through the crowd, recognizing Minho and Taemin but passing over their faces, searching for one special person in the crowd.

Finally, Kibum found him standing behind the dining room table, a beautiful cake spread out in front of him. Jonghyun smiled, and even over the din of the room, Kibum recognized two words on his boyfriend's lips: "happy birthday."

The crowd seemed to have purposefully left a path from the front door to the dining room, and Kibum was thankful as he ran through the room towards Jonghyun, who came around the table so he could catch the blond in his embrace. Kibum jumped into Jong's arms, throwing his own arms around the brunet's neck and wrapping his legs around the shorter's waist before burying his face in the crook of Jonghyun's neck, whispering in his boyfriend's ear. "You have no idea how horrible a day I have had today."

Jonghyun pulled back to look Kibum in the eyes. "Really? I'm sorry I wasn't there--I've been so busy setting this up. I'm so sorry, babe."

Kibum shook his head, smiling as he cupped Jonghyun's face in his hand. "No, it's okay. But I'm glad you did this--it's perfect."

Jong grinned, his gaze flicking down to Kibum's lips as he replied. "The party hasn't even started yet, baby."

Laughing, the blond leaned down, forgetting about the party guests as he took Jonghyun's lips in his own. Cheers erupted around them, and Kibum felt Jong spin them around as their mouths moved against each other. After about a minute, however, there was a shout over the din of the crowd. "Yah! Get a room!"

Key broke the kiss, turning to the source of the shout with a grin. "Yah! Kim Himchan, it's my birthday and I'll kiss my boyfriend if I want!" As if to prove his point, he leaned down once more to steal another kiss, and he felt and heard Jonghyun chuckle against his lips.

After a few more seconds of them kissing and the crowd around them laughing, another voice--a female this time--yelled over the noise. "Yes, it is your birthday, but you should save that party for later tonight when you two are in private!"

Key pulled away once again, this time jumping down from Jonghyun completely. "Amber? What are you doing here?"

With that, the crowd--which was actually a generous term; there couldn't have been more than fifteen people at the most--shifted their attention elsewhere, chatting with their neighbors or going to find snacks while Key approached the girl who had yelled, Jonghyun following close behind him.

A short, blonde, masculine-looking girl laughed and hugged Key before answering his question. "I'm here for your birthday, pabo. I couldn't miss this, are you kidding?!"

Key laughed. "Well, thanks for coming. It's great to see you, as always."

"Great to see you, too, boo. You don't come to the cafe enough!" Amber said, smacking Key on the arm playfully.

"That's because it's not close enough to anywhere I go! Everywhere I go is close by: here, work, and my classes. But no, you just had to set your cafe up on the complete other side of town!" Key protested, crossing his arms.

Before Amber could retort, however, Jonghyun placed his hand in the small of Key's back, causing the blond to look over at him. "I think it's about time for cake, babe," Jonghyun said, smiling at Key before leading the blond away with a nod to Amber, who followed the couple to the dining room. 

When they got to the dining table and Key and Jonghyun were standing behind it, Amber cupped her hands around and shouted at the top of her lungs, "Hey, all you idiots! It's time for cake!"

That managed to get the other guests' attention, and they all moved over so they were surrounding the table. Key laughed as Onew lifted his girlfriend Luna onto his shoulders so she could see better from the back.

After Jonghyun had led everyone in a slightly off-key chorus of "Happy Birthday," Key turned to the dino and whispered, "Help me blow out the candles."

"Why?" Jonghyun whispered back, blinking in confusion.

Leaning closer, Kibum breathed his answer into Jonghyun's ear. "Beacause you're my wish, pabo. I think you should help me make it."

Jonghyun smiled and nodded, leaning forward with Kibum so they could both blow out the candles. Cheers erupted from the crowd around them, and someone started chanting, "Kiss! Kiss! Kiss!" Within seconds, everyone in the room was chanting for a kiss, and a few even had their cameraphones ready.

Key laughed, wrapping his arms around Jonghyun's neck to pull him in for a long, deep kiss. The crowd cheered once again, but the noise faded into the background for the couple as they tangled their hands in each other's hair, beginning to incorporate just a little bit of tongue in the kiss before they finally broke apart. All the guests were laughing, and Jonghyun blushed as he reached for a knife so he could start cutting the cake. Key smiled through his own reddening cheeks as he pulled the candles out of the icing one at a time, the little pieces of cake off of the ends of the small strips of wax.


Later, after everyone had gotten a piece of cake, Key announced that since there were so many presents and he was eager to move on to the next stage of the party, he would wait to open his presents until the next day, but he would make sure to call everyone and let them know what he thought of their present.

As Key tried to help Onew set up the sound system, Jonghyun found himself talking to Taeyeon and Tiffany, two girls from Key's fashion history class who seemed kind, but Jonghyun still didn't know very well. He remained as polite as possible, though his words remained clipped and his answers short as he responded to their simple questions about his life, his classes, his family, and other normal things. 

However, Jonghyun found himself releasing a breath he hadn't realized he'd been holding when he felt a familiar hand rest in the small of his back. Next to his left ear, Key's gentle voice spoke to the girls. "Alright, Taeny, you can stop harrassing my boyfriend now," he said, smirking and smacking Tiffany lightly on the arm. However, unknown to the two girls in front of them, Key's other hand was absently drawing random shapes in the small of Jonghyun's back, and the shorter boy could already feel himself relaxing. Key continued speaking as Jonghyun lost himself in the gentle touches, and it took Jong a second to figure out what the blond was saying. "Onew-hyung and I fixed the sound--we can go on the dance floor now," Key said, turning his head to look at Jonghyun.

Taeyeon grinned mischievously. "Well, the birthday boy should go first!" She declared. "Go on, Key, you can have anyone as a dance partner. Who do you pick?" She winked at Jonghyun, and Key clutched his heart with his free hand, aghast.

"I'll dance with Jongie, of course!" The blond exclaimed, wrapping his arm fully around Jong's waist in what seemed to be an almost protective gesture before turning him around and leading him away towards the living room, where the furniture was moved to the side and pushed against the walls to provide room for dancing. A slow song began to play from the sound system in the corner, and Jonghyun and Key walked to the center of the room. Jonghyun set his hands on Kibum's shoulders nervously, looking up at his boyfriend.

"Do we have to do this in front of everyone?" He whispered.

Kibum smiled. "It's just for a few seconds. Just focus on my eyes. Forget about them. It's just you and me, Jongie."

Jonghyun did just that, and it was much easier than he thought it would be to focus purely on Kibum's deep chocolate orbs. The blond's eyes were alight with joy, excitement, and what Jonghyun had long since realized was love. Jong let Key lead as they spun around the room, and sure enough, once they were about half a minute into the dance, other couples began coming out onto the makeshift dance floor. In the corner of his eye, Jonghyun could see Minho and Taemin, Onew and Luna, and even Taeyeon and Tiffany moving around on the floor.

Kibum suddenly moved, pulling Jonghyun in closer by his waist so that he could hug the shorter boy to his chest, resting his chin in the crook of Jonghyun's neck. "I really thought you forgot about me," the blond whispered, closing his eyes and breathing in the mixed scents of Jonghyun's shampoo and cologne.

"How could I forget about you?" Jonghyun asked, turning his head slightly so that he could bury half of his face in Kibum's hair. "Do you even realize how much you mean to me? You're my whole world, Bum. I don't know where I'd be without you. There's no way I could possibly forget your birthday," the brunet whispered in response, and Kibum sniffled, trying to hold back his tears.

Leaning back to look his boyfriend in the eye, Jonghyun smiled. "Shh, it's okay, Bummie," he breathed, closing the space between them once more to press his lips to Kibum's cheek where a tear had already fallen. Pulling back, he smiled again. "Wanna go get a drink?"


Hours later, the last guest left the apartment. Jonghyun still hadn't presented Kibum with his present, and he ducked into the bedroom to quickly check on it while the blond began gathering up the leftover Solo cups, abandoned by the guests of the party.

The puppy had woken up at some point--probably when Taemin had come in to give it a few treats and play with it--and it seemed excited to see Jonghyun. The brunet leaned down and scratched the dog behind the ear briefly before turning around and moving across the room to open his own dog's crate. Roo, a long-haired blue dachshund, scampered out of his crate, bolting through the bedroom and out the door--presumably to go pee on the puppy mat lying next to the front door.

Leaving the new puppy in its crate, Jonghyun left the room, moving into the ktichen, where he found Key tying the top of a large black garbage bag closed. "Get all the trash?" Jonghyun asked, grinning as he sauntered up to the blond with his hands in his pockets.

"Not even half of it," Key sighed, wiping his forehead with the back of his hand. "And I'm beat. It's after one o'clock in the morning, and there's still all this trash in the floor, and I've got a lot of presents to open and thank-you notes to write, and--"

"Shhh," Jonghyun whispered, pulling the blond into his embrace to cut him off. "It's okay. Tomorrow's Saturday--no class and no work. You can take care of everything then. But for now, I still need to give you your birthday present."

Kibum blinked, pulling out of Jonghyun's embrace as the shorter took his hand and began leading him toward the bedroom. "I thought I would open all of them tomorrow. Is yours not in that pile?" He asked, glancing to the large stack of presents on the dining table. 

Jonghyun shook his head. "No, this present can't wait much longer," he said, opening the bedroom door before moving behind Kibum to cover the blond's eyes. "Just walk around to the closet, Bum," he whispered in Key's ear, patiently following as the other inched forward.

When they finally reached the closet--in front of which the puppy's crate sat--Jonghyun took his hands off of Kibum's eyes, moving around so that he was kneeling next to the dog crate. "Surprise~" He cheered, gesturing to the crate.

Kibum squealed, kneeling in front of the cage and opening the door, pulling the little dog into his arms. "A puppy! Oh, Jongie, it's-" he cut himself off, turning the dog over to check its underside before correcting himself. "He's adorable! But what about Roo? Are you sure they'll get along?"

Jonghyun nodded, sitting back on his heels as he watched his boyfriend play with the dog. "Yeah, I'm sure. I took Roo with me to the shelter a few days ago when I picked him out, and they got along fine then. And they've both been back here all evening--granted, they were both in their crates, but still."

Kibum grinned. "What should I name him?"

"Didn't you mention a while back that if you had dogs, you'd name them after that one fashion company? I can't remember which one, but I think you said it was Japanese, right?" Jonghyun asked.

"Oh, right! Comme des Garcons! So this little guy will be Comme des~" he cooed, scratching the puppy under the chin. "And if I ever get another one then I'll name it Garcons."

Jonghyun laughed, leaning forward to take Kibum's lips in his own. "Whatever you say, Bum."


Finally.

I seriously had no idea it would be this long. Oh my gosh, I just....I'm sorry. I should have made this a separate story. Really, this is way too long. 

But oh well~ It's done now. I don't really like the ending much, but it'll do because I just finished this monster and wow I need a break. So yeah, unbeta'd and unedited. Sorry about that.

And I was just going through my Jongkey tag on tumblr trying to find a gif for the main image and I just decided you know what it and I have no regrets

Check me out on tumblr if you want

Remember to comment, subscribe, and upvote~